Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

10 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Supposedly, they lasted batch (6/10’ish” batch of Canvie is fanfreakingtastic. 

The Bloom dropped a bit of the pineapple juice hop pretty fast. Like within a week of purchase. It was still really good, but not as good as it was within a month of bottling.

It seems that making hop-forward beers that can last on the shelf for half a heartbeat is the next step for a lot of brewers and is already giving some a big leg up. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

20 year wedding anniversary weekend. Starting it off. Old Capital IPA by Natchez Brewing. 

Cheers!

B3C94C26-7345-48FE-890B-B52FD641B62A.jpeg

Happy Anniversary! My 20th was on the 13th of this month.

• Like 2

Had my low round of the year today. 77. 37/40. Rewarded myself with a 4 pack of Westbrook Three Claw. Folks, this is really good beer. Grab some.

Was feeling wine today. Trione Sauv Blanc($23) and Four Virtues BBA Zin($20). Both are fantastic. Usually not a fan of Lodi wines, but the Four Virtues is great. Awesome wines for a really decent price.

EwkuKdx.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

Drinking white wine spritzers in the pool. Meat smoking on the grill. Listening to Phish(7/4/10-Alpharetta)

Happy 4th, everyone. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 2

etSveXW.jpg

One of Fairhope's occasionals/ seasonals this summer and worthy of mention. "Stuck on the 280" is described as a (hazy, golden, imperial in no particular order) IPA, featuring Citra hops (my 1st knowing run-in with them). Over my extended holiday weekend, I learned to change my IPA drinking habits a bit (for this one). IPA's, in general, have always been the ultimate thirst quenchers (so good at cutting any heat/humidity-generated throat films), and my style has always been to slug it and depend on belch-back to review/analyze the hops. This stuff taught me to slow down (I actually took 2-hrs to kill my last 1-qt crowler) and keep my nose involved throughout.

Good stuff, but probably not worth a drive down unless you're on your way anyway. If you are in the neighborhood,while it's still available, try it but please don't overly laud it. The propriator has a history of turning popular brews into "bottles only" and increasing the price.

• Like 2

Big boy right here at 11.4%. Nose is off. Like way off. Almost like nail polish...which isn’t good. The beer itself is pretty good though. Rum barrel is evident. Chewy caramel and brown sugar laced with vanilla. It’s not hot  

Verdict: pick up a 4 pack at $16.99.

qoFNLkq.jpg

• Like 1

Brand new Woodford product. “Malt whiskey”, so I guess it’s not a bourbon. No information on the bottle about why or how, so I guess I’ll need to research. Line priced with regular Woodford, and I like it better. 

jEAELQ6.jpg

Unlike a typical 100% malt whiskey, Woodford Reserve is a Kentucky Straight Malt Whiskey crafted from 51% malt and aged in new charred oak barrels, making it the malt whiskey for bourbon drinkers .

The base of 51 % malt results in a whiskey that is richly flavorful and complex and amplifies the nutty characteristics found in the original Woodford Reserve.

“Inspired by history and a desire to make the best tasting whiskies in the world, Woodford Reserve is charting its own unique path with this new malt whiskey based on historical precedence and our commitment to flavor, something that’s ingrained in everything we do,” said Master Distiller Chris Morris.

• Thanks 2

For it to be labeled a bourbon, it has to be at least 51% corn mash and aged for 2 years in new charred oak barrels. And I do believe it’s thrown straight into a barrel after distillation . Although I think at Buffalo Trace they were emptying barrels over a small amount of charcoal before bottling.

I don’t know the age, but the 51% malt in the mash is the obvious reason why it’s not a bourbon. 

Jack Daniels is 51% corn, but due to filtering it through 10 feet of charcoal before barreling, it removes that part of the equation. 

I feel like I should’ve paid more attention during my tours of JD and BT last year. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

Oktoberfests should be hitting the shelves soon. My body is ready. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Good stuff. Haven’t had it in quite some time, it’s in 6 packs this year. It’s a malt bomb, but it’s fine. Dangerous at 9.6%.

jdzbsWz.jpg

One of my faves. Hope it shows up here this year. I’ll buy all of it.

Edited by Tiger Refuge

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

Oktoberfests should be hitting the shelves soon. My body is ready. 

Wiseacre already released theirs. I’m not bringing it in until late August at the earliest. 

Too many Goses and Berliners to get rid of before I think about fall/pumpkin beers. 

I would also like to puff up my chest in that after taking over beer at the first of the year we’ve been up 25%+ almost every month for 2018 from the previous year. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

If I remember right, I had last years version in mid June. Seems like it would be one that might age well. 

9.6% this year. Will be fine on the shelves while it makes the rounds. It’s a triple IPA*, it’s not gonna be that much different from bottled date to ~3months. 

*I hate the term “triple ipa”. Double IPA makes sense...Imperial IPA—IIPA. “Imperial” intended on the play of “(Russian)imperial stout”—a stout brewed with high alcohol intended for Russian dignitaries. 

Where does the extra “I” come from? Marketing. Just call it a DIPA and leave it. Or jack up the ABV a couple notches and call it an “American Barleywine”...wait...then it becomes Bigfoot. 

DFH 120 is an American Barleywine. They call it a triple IPA(possibly coined the term). But it’s not and will never be a real variation of an IPA. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain