Alabama is averaging 56.7 PPG

Dual-Threat Rigby

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

Just curious, do you think Nick could coach this AU team to a championship? Anyone feel free to chime in.

That's been the key.  Some talk how great a coach he is but it's easier to be a coaching great when you plug in 5* to replace 5* all the time.  Try replacing your 4* with a 3* and see how great your process works.

Plus, it's beyond paying to GET the talent.  Their machine keeps these players "well fed" as long as they perform....sounds professional to me.

I mean seriously.... With the youngsters of today and all the coddling they get, does one REALLY think they would put up with that Bully Tyrant just for a chance that in 2 years they might be able to play, when players everywhere else (Auburn for example) transfer the moment they're 3rd string?  Doesn't pass the smell test to me.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That's been the key.  Some talk how great a coach he is but it's easier to be a coaching great when you plug in 5* to replace 5* all the time.  Try replacing your 4* with a 3* and see how great your process works.

Plus, it's beyond paying to GET the talent.  Their machine keeps these players "well fed" as long as they perform....sounds professional to me.

I mean seriously.... With the youngsters of today and all the coddling they get, does one REALLY think they would put up with that Bully Tirant just for a chance that in 2 years they might be able to play, when players everywhere else (Auburn for example) transfer the moment they're 3rd string?  Doesn't pass the smell test to me.

You are a wise man.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

Did you miss what just happened to Ole Miss?  And why the NCAA went after them for doing what bammer has done for over 50 years? 

I think Ole Miss was slapping the intelligence of your every day football fan with how blatant it was. They were getting guys Bama, FSU, OSU etc were throwing their full team behind easily. They were also very sloppy if you've read that ESPN report that came out over the summer. I think if Auburn just went from a fringe top 10 team recruiting wise to like a top 5 team....it might not be too blatant. 

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

Just curious, do you think Nick could coach this AU team to a championship? Anyone feel free to chime in.

They dont have the horses to impose their will offensively nor the depth to emulate his never yielding (not intended) defenses. We're top heavy defensively at alot of the positions he can lose 4 guys in and still have 5 stars. Saban himself never claimed to be a great coach, but rather a great recruiter who'd put the system in place for other guys to coach 

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

They dont have the horses to impose their will offensively nor the depth to emulate his never yielding (not intended) defenses. We're top heavy defensively at alot of the positions he can lose 4 guys in and still have 5 stars. Saban himself never claimed to be a great coach, but rather a great recruiter who'd put the system in place for other guys to coach 

I think he has good coaches not great. He has great talent. Unmatched talent.

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Sabear had a team with friggin John Parker Wilson at QB one game away from the national title game..The dude can coach. He will retire soon. then is our chance but we have to be sure we have the right guy in charge.

On 9/17/2018 at 10:26 AM, AUsince72 said:

I'm sorry but in today's world of parity and scholarship limitations it's obvious that there's massive amounts of cheating going on there.  I mean, it would be one thing if Notre Dame or tOSU or USCw, etc were SOMEWHAT comparable but for a team in the crap-hole of Tuscaloosa, AL to be practically a NFL team?  C'MON!

There is nothing impressive about cheating and now it's compounded as apparently saban was willing to spread the Emmert dirt to Kirby... really? It's coincidence that "suddenly" thUga can recruit with bammer?

Even some people on this board seem to drink the kool-aid act as if in awe of greatness.  It's just not fair when the Horseracing Federation allows one guy to use a Ford Raptor Truck instead...

Sorry but the subject of uat getting away with this just chaps my otherwise reasonable hyde.

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Agree, but what can one do about it?

I know of one that would love to get his shot against li'l Nicky.  

GettyImages-865351952.jpg

He would never get a sniff from Auburn, but he would have us rolling offensively in the way that we all hoped Gus would bring. He would also do everything he could to embarrass Bama every chance he got. If he went out and hired a competent DC, we'd be in business.

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

He would never get a sniff from Auburn, but he would have us rolling offensively in the way that we all hoped Gus would bring. He would also do everything he could to embarrass Bama every chance he got. If he went out and hired a competent DC, we'd be in business.

Then we'd play real offensive football.

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Is it me or are those Royal Reds dipped in sweet melted butter starting to show.............then again who am I to point my fat finger?

3 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Then we'd play real offensive football.

This is why auburn will never , in my opinion and most auburn people are ok with this mentality, be a good football program.   AU will never sustain a run that is currently what Alabama, Ohio State or even Oklahoma are doing.   Now I’m not saying that that is a bad thing because that is what makes auburn so unique and why people love it.   

Auburn would never hire a lane kiffin because the optics would appear as though were put winning above the character of the person.   But reality says that kiffin coaches circles around Gus.    Take a look at the resumes of Gus and Kirby.   Then tell me who had the better career builder, from football player to coaching.   In my opinion, it’s not even close.   Kirby wins every day.   AU had their chance and chose not to take the better coach

To me, each hire since Dye seems to have been a sad attempt to remain the same. I mean, We're Auburn, we play smash mouth football ! We win  with a strong running game and nasty defenses, amirite!  The only coach we had since Dye that had a different idea of football was Terry, and the PTB and admins hated him.

The only problem with that antiquated way of thinking is that the game has changed so dramatically in the last 30 years.  The biggest and fastest guys are all playing D now. 6'2 225 and run a 4.5? That's now a linebacker. The defensive speed and schemes have relegated the 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality where it needs to be.  When time comes, AU needs to be forward thinking and not depend on a 50 year old way if thinking when looking for a new HC. 

To me, the absolute best offense out there for the last 10-15 years or more has resided in Norman. The incredible balance they have and the way they morph their O to their talent makes it impossibly dynamic. They attack every inch of the field and never really run or pass out of necessity...And it's been that way year in and out. If we had that type of offense and play calling with the talent we have now and annually bring in we'd be putting up video game stats.  If we could some how pluck a Stoops/Riley disciple from their coaching tree we might finally join the rest if the college football world in this century.

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'd like to think he's grown enough and matured, as a man, that the new administration (AD Greene) WOULD actually consider him.  I think you're right and truthfully if it weren't for his previous immaturity he would be lighting it up for a P5 school right now.

Alas, AU only JUST signed that fat contract with Gus so we're stuck for the foreseeable future.  Which may be a good thing.... may be not....

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

firing Gus last year and throwing whatever Kiffin wanted (within reason) would've been the optimal end result of that season.

12 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Nope, the talent level is high, the level of experienced talent is a little low, the schedule is down right gruesome.  But the mental toughness, attention to detail, focus on fundamentals, etc. aren't at a level that's required to maneuver this team through the remainder of the schedule & then have them physically and mentally prepared to play at the top level that will get them through the post season.  In other words, the structure and foundation of this team is not where a coach like Saban would need them to be to win a championship.

As we all saw Saturday, when a team makes mental mistakes, plays undisciplined, can't adhere to the fundamentals they've been trained in for months/years, it's hard to even win in your own home stadium, and that's with the support of the loudest, proudest, and most energetic crowd in the freaking conference.

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

His talent is apparent, I don't doubt that he could do a good job at a big-time program again. My question with Kiffin is, if he's able to bring a program to the top, does he have the maturity, vision and commitment to sustain that success over a long-period of time. In the past he has never struck me as someone with a long-term vision. Maybe that has changed, I don't know. 

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He's a great recruiter. People just aren't comfortable admitting that. Even according to Lane Kiffin, Saban is the best recruiter in college football, because (guess what) he outworks everyone else. 

56 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

He's a great recruiter. People just aren't comfortable admitting that. Even according to Lane Kiffin, Saban is the best recruiter in college football, because (guess what) he outworks everyone else. 

oh yeah I dont think he had these same connections at LSU and was still dominant talent wise (not to the same extents ofc). He just knows how to build a collegiate program better than everyone else 

5 hours ago, Barnacle said:

does he have the maturity, vision and commitment to sustain that success over a long-period of time.

Dont  think so. He would need to prove himself somewhere else during a lengthy stay before I’d want him. 

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

To me, each hire since Dye seems to have been a sad attempt to remain the same. I mean, We're Auburn, we play smash mouth football ! We win  with a strong running game and nasty defenses, amirite!  The only coach we had since Dye that had a different idea of football was Terry, and the PTB and admins hated him.

The only problem with that antiquated way of thinking is that the game has changed so dramatically in the last 30 years.  The biggest and fastest guys are all playing D now. 6'2 225 and run a 4.5? That's now a linebacker. The defensive speed and schemes have relegated the 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality where it needs to be.  When time comes, AU needs to be forward thinking and not depend on a 50 year old way if thinking when looking for a new HC. 

To me, the absolute best offense out there for the last 10-15 years or more has resided in Norman. The incredible balance they have and the way they morph their O to their talent makes it impossibly dynamic. They attack every inch of the field and never really run or pass out of necessity...And it's been that way year in and out. If we had that type of offense and play calling with the talent we have now and annually bring in we'd be putting up video game stats.  If we could some how pluck a Stoops/Riley disciple from their coaching tree we might finally join the rest if the college football world in this century.

I think somewhere way down deep inside Auburn people are comfortable being ‘little brother’ and complaining about Bama cheating. It’s a favorite pastime. 

Whats that quote about it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. AU people get hung up on the permission part. My lifetime has shown me there’s no mistake or gaffe you make that can’t be washed away and keep time from marching on. Hell, just look at the Clintons and the Democratic Party if you need an example 

17 hours ago, bigman334 said:

Sabear had a team with friggin John Parker Wilson at QB one game away from the national title game..The dude can coach. He will retire soon. then is our chance but we have to be sure we have the right guy in charge.

I could have been the QB on that team and been successful. 

17 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

I think somewhere way down deep inside Auburn people are comfortable being ‘little brother’ and complaining about Bama cheating. It’s a favorite pastime. 

Ain't that the truth! 

Some ladies & gents on this board (and a few other boards) never post a damn thing about Auburn football, they offer little to no insight or opinion on the actual game that takes place on the field.  They have no opinion on our players, overall team production, or how our coaches have prepared and executed - nothing relative to the team at all.  They never waste time posting about the schedule, the upcoming opponent, or even their experiences at the games. 

But look at their post history and it's one long and extensive list complaining, pointing fingers, juvenile name calling, blaming the REC/turds/Mean ole nickster for cheating. Some can write journals about the uat cheating machine and yet offer absolutely NOTHING about Auburn Football.   :lol:

2 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

I could have been the QB on that team and been successful. 

He's had some crappy ass QBs to work with over the years (Wilson/Sims/Coker.)  Now that he's got a couple of real weapons, the offense looks ok and they'll need it because that defense is not up to snuff by their standards.

17 hours ago, bigman334 said:

The dude can coach. 

He is one of the best secondary coaches ever and has been a defensive innovator. His 2002 LSU defensive playbook is like the defensive coaches Bible.  He is also a great CEO. He had a vision, developed a plan, and hired the men to fulfill it.  IMO, he is an avg HC at best.  

On 6/3/2017 at 1:48 PM, bigbird said:

'95 MSU 6-5

'96 MSU 6-6

'97 MSU 7-5

'98 MSU 6-6

'99 MSU 9-2

Win PCT: .585

'00 LSU 8-4

'01' LSU 10-3

'02 LSU 8-5

'03 LSU 13-1

'04 LSU 9-3

Win PCT: .750

Excluding his 1st season at Bama(7-6) Saban has lost 13 games in 10 years. For a win pct of .896.  

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/nick-saban-1.html

Prior to Bama and the machine that has rewritten college football recruiting, he was very pedestrian...even at LSU. 4 of the 5 years at LSU he lost 3+ games. He didn't suddenly become the greatest coach of all time.  He has been exposed as a game day coach many times and struggles when other coaches make good in-game adjustments.  As far as the Championship goes, Chizik has one too. 

Again, I think he is a great defensive mind. I just think he lacks as a HC.

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:
On 6/3/2017 at 2:48 PM, bigbird said:

'95 MSU 6-5

'96 MSU 6-6

'97 MSU 7-5

'98 MSU 6-6

'99 MSU 9-2

Win PCT: .585

'00 LSU 8-4

'01' LSU 10-3

'02 LSU 8-5

'03 LSU 13-1

'04 LSU 9-3

Win PCT: .750

Excluding his 1st season at Bama(7-6) Saban has lost 13 games in 10 years. For a win pct of .896.  

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/nick-saban-1.html

Prior to Bama and the machine that has rewritten college football recruiting, he was very pedestrian...even at LSU. 4 of the 5 years at LSU he lost 3+ games. He didn't suddenly become the greatest coach of all time.  He has been exposed as a game day coach many times and struggles when other coaches make good in-game adjustments.  As far as the Championship goes, Chizik has one too. 

^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

Part of where my opinion is derived.  And YES it is my opinion to those who keep defending him here, I admit.  I don't claim that I work in his office and get to personally witness the acts.  I just think so many love "success" so much that they're willing to overlook the seedy underbelly... Just like those who don't care about juicing, corked bats, etc.  "JUST WIN BABY!"

But without the REC & the warmth and security Emmert provides, saban is just another Dabo, Urban, Jimbo etc.  Yes, coaches good teams and is always in the mix but not the golden calf godlike status he's currently held to.

24 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

Part of where my opinion is derived.  And YES it is my opinion to those who keep defending him here, I admit.  I don't claim that I work in his office and get to personally witness the acts.  I just think so many love "success" so much that they're willing to overlook the seedy underbelly... Just like those who don't care about juicing, corked bats, etc.  "JUST WIN BABY!"

But without the REC & the warmth and security Emmert provides, saban is just another Dabo, Urban, Jimbo etc.  Yes, coaches good teams and is always in the mix but not the golden calf godlike status he's currently held to.

Very well said AU72. Nailed it!

WDE

Archived