• Tre Mason
    • Stephen Davis
    • Brent Fullwood
    • Ronnie Brown
    • Onterio McCalebb
    • Cameron Artis-Payne
    • Other

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Couldn't find good Auburn highlights for Caddie but man I loved his running style. He's the reason I played RB in high school! Dudes legs always kept churning and he just looked like he ran with pure effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1-h9rMN4ZU

I can't share videos for some reason right now

Caddy, Fullwood & Irons were all cut from the same cloth IMO.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Couldn't find good Auburn highlights for Caddie but man I loved his running style. He's the reason I played RB in high school! Dudes legs always kept churning and he just looked like he ran with pure effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1-h9rMN4ZU

I can't share videos for some reason right now

That's a career that ended WAY too soon. Stupid injuries.

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Caddy, Fullwood & Irons were all cut from the same cloth IMO.

Agreed, they're just so fun to watch. Tre had a similar mentality of you could see how bad he wanted it.

22 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That was always my thought on Stephen Davis.  He took a lot of plays off and for a big guy often went down too easy.  I like him, don't get me wrong, but he did underachieve a bit IMO too.

...and Bostic gets overlooked unfortunately because nobody saw his best season "live" unless they bought a ticket.  But he was a FORCE in 1993.  One of my favorite Jim Fyffe calls of all time was his long IB run to basically seal the win.  The most passionate "TOOOUUCCCHHDOWN AUUUUUUUUUBUUUUUUURRRRRNNN" ever!

Yeah, it was a sad day when JF passed. I really miss his calls. Rod is an excellent broadcaster is his own right, but unfortunately for him followed a legend.

Just now, Linayus said:

That's a career that ended WAY too soon. Stupid injuries.

Agreed, had he been born later he'd have gone into the NFL in a time where they realized you can't ride the same running back until they break. I know it could have never happened but imagine if rookie Caddie and rookie Ronnie could have ended up on the same team in the pros. What fun that would have been to watch.

1 minute ago, ArgoEagle said:

Yeah, it was a sad day when JF passed. I really miss his calls. Rod is an excellent broadcaster is his own right, but unfortunately for him followed a legend.

Agreed, I like Rod as well and I'm glad he takes his own approach to it. Local announcers are just the best and I'd take them over the national guys any day. The actual excitement and inside knowledge is so fun to hear. Still maintain that they should have it to where you select your own commentator and they make sure it's synced.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Agreed, had he been born later he'd have gone into the NFL in a time where they realized you can't ride the same running back until they break. I know it could have never happened but imagine if rookie Caddie and rookie Ronnie could have ended up on the same team in the pros. What fun that would have been to watch.

Ronnie had a decent career at Miami but boy did their o-line suck with him there (kind of like Carolina now). If they didn't go to that Wildcat offense with him, he'd have been miserable running behind that line.

3 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Ronnie had a decent career at Miami but boy did their o-line suck with him there (kind of like Carolina now). If they didn't go to that Wildcat offense with him, he'd have been miserable running behind that line.

Yup, neither Ronnie nor Caddie had an ideal situation.

Man do the Panthers frustrate me... Cam has done a lot with very little up there. Still don't think he has a #1 receiver and half of their OL wouldn't start for other teams.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Can't really rate those I never got to watch. So for me, it goes...

Hmm ... can't or won't?   Just looking at Brooks' stats is pretty amazing:  Here's a link with a few video clips of Brooks in an AU uniform

7.4 ypc in 1979.  Brooks' all purpose yardage record at AU still stands today.  Let that sink in while you contemplate any best AU running backs list.  Keep in mind that in 1979, AU was on probation and in the infinite wisdom of the NCAA at the time was prohibited from being shown on TV.  Both Books & Cribbs ran for over 1,000 yds that year in an 11-game season.  Today's 12-game regular season, plus a conference championship & other post-season games tends to dilute the 1,000-yd rushing label.  

Then there's always Brooks' pro career.  Here's a little sample of what he was like as a runner:  Link

If you don't want to watch the whole clip, skip to about 6:15 and watch the quickness thru the hole and then the 'nother gear speed.'  

32 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Hmm ... can't or won't?   Just looking at Brooks' stats is pretty amazing:  Here's a link with a few video clips of Brooks in an AU uniform

7.4 ypc in 1979.  Brooks' all purpose yardage record at AU still stands today.  Let that sink in while you contemplate any best AU running backs list.  Keep in mind that in 1979, AU was on probation and in the infinite wisdom of the NCAA at the time was prohibited from being shown on TV.  Both Books & Cribbs ran for over 1,000 yds that year in an 11-game season.  Today's 12-game regular season, plus a conference championship & other post-season games tends to dilute the 1,000-yd rushing label.  

Then there's always Brooks' pro career.  Here's a little sample of what he was like as a runner:  Link

If you don't want to watch the whole clip, skip to about 6:15 and watch the quickness thru the hole and then the 'nother gear speed.'  

Won't.. I concede that 3 or 4 of the ones pre-me, are supperior backs to ones in my list by stats alone. I just can't base any critique or praise for them on anything.

2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

I thought Steven Davis underachieved in his time here bc he didn't give it 100% on all of his runs.

He was a little soft looking at times, mainly because he was as big or bigger than most of the dudes trying to tackle him, lol. He was also criminally mis-/underutilized by Tot.

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

He was a little soft looking at times, mainly because he was as big or bigger than most of the dudes trying to tackle him, lol. He was also criminally mis-/underutilized by Tot.

Speaking of big dudes and underutilized I'm thirsty for more Joiner...lol

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

YEP!!! At least give him a shot Gus!! Kmart is not the guy......

34 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Based on his what...2 carries in the wildcat.  The dude ran tough and was faster than I realized.  Yes, I'd like to see more Joiner.

29 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

YEP!!! At least give him a shot Gus!! Kmart is not the guy......

Incidentally, there is an al.vomit article about KMart where he admits he was slower to start the season because he tried to be patient like KJ.  This last game he decided to just run like he used to and he DID look better last week.  I'm curious to see how he looks in 2 days.

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Incidentally, there is an al.vomit article about KMart where he admits he was slower to start the season because he tried to be patient like KJ.  This last game he decided to just run like he used to and he DID look better last week.  I'm curious to see how he looks in 2 days.

Not saying there is no place for him. Just don't think he is that physical every down back like Kerrion that could punish people and make them think I don't want anything to do with tackling this guy. He is more suited for a Mccaleb type role used to have. It's time to give our bigger backs a chance to be our rb1 and just let Kmart have his smaller role. I just wish Gus had sense enough to realize once again that plan A sux and it's time to move to plan B.

2 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Not saying there is no place for him. Just don't think he is that physical every down back like Kerrion that could punish people and make them think I don't want anything to do with tackling this guy. He is more suited for a Mccaleb type role used to have. It's time to give our bigger backs a chance to be our rb1 and just let Kmart have his smaller role. I just wish Gus had sense enough to realize once again that plan A sux and it's time to move to plan B.

Not disagreeing.  My only point is that I also jumped off the KMart bandwagon after a few games.  But, since we know Gus, we know KMart will be RB1 this weekend so the article I point out at least gives some hope that maybe we'll see a new (more like last year's) KMart.

Maybe not, but I'm curious at least.

Personally, with Boobee hurt after seeing Joiner on a couple WC runs, I'd love to see him get a shot with Worm being the change of pace back.  Asa seems to be a forum favorite but obviously Gus has some issue with him.  .... although he HAS seen more PT lately.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Dang you Horton...don't coach the talent out of the kids

5 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

I've said it on here numerous times. now numerous times +1.

Pound for pound, James Brooks is the best tailback to play for Auburn.

He was electric, and played on some bad teams, so he had to fight for every inch he got. Also had a great pro career. 

Well I'll be damned. Apologies to you and @McLoofus.

Not disagreeing.  My only point is that I also jumped off the KMart bandwagon after a few games.  But, since we know Gus, we know KMart will be RB1 this weekend so the article I point out at least gives some hope that maybe we'll see a new (more like last year's) KMart.

KMart nailed it in this weeks interview. His style is a quick burst through the hole for 5-6 yards. He’s done that effectively  for his first two years. Last week we saw that version. Hope to see more of it. 

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

KMart nailed it in this weeks interview. His style is a quick burst through the hole for 5-6 yards. He’s done that effectively  for his first two years. Last week we saw that version. Hope to see more of it. 

Amen.  Be who you are don't try to be who you aren't.  I think it really hurt KMart early.  

13 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I don't think that had anything to do with Horton.  

There was talk in Port Arthur this Summer that KMart was encouraged to watch film of KJ and try and be a more patient runner.

That's not who he was and it's not who he should be. He should've been encouraged to watch film of Kenny Irons.

To me, KJ is very similar in style to Bell. While KMart is very similar to his cousin, Jamaal Charles

Archived