Bryan Matthews and Jay Tate podcast

CR

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Ugly and caused by just one person. I don't need to say the name.

It’s always Greener on the other side. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Next year was going to be the rebuilding year. This year was the one to make a run. Going to be ugly next year. New QB, no OL, new DL, new LBers, MEH CB's. Will have to give Freeze over 1.5m to take the OC job next year if Gus is here. No other rising or proven OC will touch the job. If Gus stays he is going to have to get rid of most of his OC staff. Ugly and caused by just one person. I don't need to say the name. 

The above issues are why I’ve finally jumped off the bus and have been feeling that it’s time for a change.  Realistically, I see next season as being pretty much the same as this one.  I don’t see Gus making any significant changes in his philosophy, and even if he did there are too many variables to overcome.  

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Golf

So you’re pushing for Golf to become either the new Offensive Coordinator or Head Coach?

Just when I was starting believe that things couldn’t get any worse...

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Next year was going to be the rebuilding year. This year was the one to make a run. Going to be ugly next year. New QB, no OL, new DL, new LBers, MEH CB's. Will have to give Freeze over 1.5m to take the OC job next year if Gus is here. No other rising or proven OC will touch the job. If Gus stays he is going to have to get rid of most of his OC staff. Ugly and caused by just one person. I don't need to say the name. 

Okay, start sharing. It has been said that Gus may need two out of the next three SEC games to  be safe! What are you hearing? Personally, I think if we lose this next game and he doesn't get to seven in the regular season, he will be gone.

I do hope we retain Burns and Porter.  Have been pleasant surprises.  I like Horton, but he just seems like he has had one foot out the door looking for his dream head coaching job.  If someone doesn't want to be here I would rather find someone who does.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Gus was given carte blanche to hire whomever he wanted as the next OL coach. He proceeded to lead an exhaustive nationwide search that lasted one day and ended with the hiring of JB.  Pure Awesomeness!

I do agree that was not a good look, however my only rebuttal is who could Gus have found that late?  If I recall when Hand did leave was that there were almost no options and Grimes was viewed as a stopgap until we found someone else.  Am I incorrect in my thinking?

^^This^^ right here is exactly why I can't understand all the dang threads about "is Gus coaching for his job vs OleMiss?",  "is Gus coaching for his job vs aTm?", "if Gus beats aTm & Uga will it save his job?", etc.  

The pattern is there, the track record is there, AU people know what they've got in CGM and they know what they'll get in the future.

They can take it or leave it - can him or keep him but very little will change with his coaching philosophy, schemes, talent evaluation, recruiting priorities, roster management, player development regime, and overall program management.   

He can't step completely away from team and just be a figurehead CEO type coach.  Auburn has to have hands-on from the HC, Coordinators, assistants, and analysts with experience and knowledge of how to build and operate a top level team if they are to see top level results on the field on a consistent basis. 

Have the PTB not seen enough of the clueless, lost, unprepared, under developed, head scratching play calling,  poor roster management over the last 5 yrs to know what the future holds?

We've been told the money is there - yet we still get these posts about "if Gus stays", why?

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yeah, not exactly shocking. If I was a rising OC, there's no way I'd work under Gustav. You essentially get to try and modify his 3-4 play playbook into something workable.

Here's an idea that's a little off center, but what the heck.  Gus doesn't sign anyone's paycheck.  Is Gus' contract available to the public?  How much control over the football program does his contract specifically state?  Does he have final say over the coaches who are hired?  Can someone else or does someone else hire coaches?  Specifically, the AD.   If his contract does not specify these points, why can't Greene sit Gus down and tell him a new offensive staff will be hired and he has no say?  Bring in a new OC and promise him a promotion when the position becomes available.  Make Gus a figurehead HC.   If Gus doesn't like it, he can quit and we don't owe him a dime.  If he wants the money, he'll have to suck it up like most of us who work for somebody else.

3 hours ago, keesler said:

^^This^^ right here is exactly why I can't understand all the dang threads about "is Gus coaching for his job vs OleMiss?",  "is Gus coaching for his job vs aTm?", "if Gus beats aTm & Uga will it save his job?", etc.  

The pattern is there, the track record is there, AU people know what they've got in CGM and they know what they'll get in the future.

They can take it or leave it - can him or keep him but very little will change with his coaching philosophy, schemes, talent evaluation, recruiting priorities, roster management, player development regime, and overall program management.   

He can't step completely away from team and just be a figurehead CEO type coach.  Auburn has to have hands-on from the HC, Coordinators, assistants, and analysts with experience and knowledge of how to build and operate a top level team if they are to see top level results on the field on a consistent basis. 

Have the PTB not seen enough of the clueless, lost, unprepared, under developed, head scratching play calling,  poor roster management over the last 5 yrs to know what the future holds?

We've been told the money is there - yet we still get these posts about "if Gus stays", why?

I don't understand how you don't understand. Thirty two million dollars to fire a coach is a catastrophic move. Regardless of your or the average fan's disgust (mine included) it is a TOTAL toss up on whether or not he stays. 

1 hour ago, saminbama said:

Here's an idea that's a little off center, but what the heck.  Gus doesn't sign anyone's paycheck.  Is Gus' contract available to the public?  How much control over the football program does his contract specifically state?  Does he have final say over the coaches who are hired?  Can someone else or does someone else hire coaches?  Specifically, the AD.   If his contract does not specify these points, why can't Greene sit Gus down and tell him a new offensive staff will be hired and he has no say?  Bring in a new OC and promise him a promotion when the position becomes available.  Make Gus a figurehead HC.   If Gus doesn't like it, he can quit and we don't owe him a dime.  If he wants the money, he'll have to suck it up like most of us who work for somebody else.

Nope, no can do.  Covered by Paragraph 7 of his current contract.  I can’t get my iPad to copy and paste just that paragraph, but here is a link to the entire current contract. 

https://www.scribd.com/document/370894790/Gus-Malzahn-Contract-Revision-2018

I think if we go 6-6, Gus will be gone. I am not an avid anti-Gus man and would love nothing more than for him to turn things around. I think hiring Kendall Briles and letting him run his offense Gus-free could be the cure the doctor ordered (Doc4day fo sure!)  If we beat TAMU, Gus will be back. Beating UGA would solidify him for next year. Winning the TAMU game is the key for Gus' being back.

If Gus hires KB, KB needs to bring in as many offensive coaches that he needs to make his system work. The first hire would be an OL coach & maybe a new RB coach. I think Kodi stays in that he is a solid recruiter. But KB must be given the keys to the offensive kingdom to make it work. Imagine 2019 with KB and us going 10-2. That would be awesome for sure. The only way for us to go 10-2 or better will require a new OC and a make over of the offensive staff.

Having a dynamic offense will take the load off of the defense and would bring our defense back to 2017 standards excluding the loses to UGA an UCF.

I griped for years about the oline recruiting. Sad the staff couldn’t see that earlier. It’s like Gus and company think they can win with Ark St talent? This is the SEC, Oline and Dline is top priority.They are right about Boobie should only have to be a third string back. 

2 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

Nope, no can do.  Covered by Paragraph 7 of his current contract.  I can’t get my iPad to copy and paste just that paragraph, but here is a link to the entire current contract. 

https://www.scribd.com/document/370894790/Gus-Malzahn-Contract-Revision-2018

If I'm reading it correctly, that language was amended to the original contract to give him total control.  Man, Leath really put it to us.

I didn’t listen to all of it, but I think I disagree completely with more than half of what they said. They bashed recruiting. Yet we have consistently recruited better under Gus than any coach in history. 95% of the scholarships have gone to 4 and 5 star players. They even admitted in the podcast that Auburn is a hard place to recruit to. Yet, their evaluation of his predominately 4 and 5 star classes is that he’s done a bad job recruiting??? Complete nonsense. 

They made a big deal about Kam Martin starting number 1 and ending at number 3. Honestly, if our offensive line was working, Kam Martin probably could be our go to guy. Kam mostly slid down the depth chart because he does not fit in the offense well with the offensive line playing so poorly. 

That was about where I stopped listening. I coauthored a paper a few years ago on something called “halo error,” a phenomenon where people evaluate components of others’ work based on general impression rather than focusing on components of work. In coaching evaluation, it occurs when people get fed up with a coach and start to complain about everything the coach does, even when the coach has done something well. It’s very common when the evaluator has lost objectivity. And that’s what I heard from these guys... No objectivity. These guys have decided that they don’t like him anymore and are laying into him with a loose discussion of semi-facts and half truths.

2 hours ago, AUFriction said:

I didn’t listen to all of it, but I think I disagree completely with more than half of what they said. They bashed recruiting. Yet we have consistently recruited better under Gus than any coach in history. 95% of the scholarships have gone to 4 and 5 star players. They even admitted in the podcast that Auburn is a hard place to recruit to. Yet, their evaluation of his predominately 4 and 5 star classes is that he’s done a bad job recruiting??? Complete nonsense. 

They made a big deal about Kam Martin starting number 1 and ending at number 3. Honestly, if our offensive line was working, Kam Martin probably could be our go to guy. Kam mostly slid down the depth chart because he does not fit in the offense well with the offensive line playing so poorly. 

That was about where I stopped listening. I coauthored a paper a few years ago on something called “halo error,” a phenomenon where people evaluate components of others’ work based on general impression rather than focusing on components of work. In coaching evaluation, it occurs when people get fed up with a coach and start to complain about everything the coach does, even when the coach has done something well. It’s very common when the evaluator has lost objectivity. And that’s what I heard from these guys... No objectivity. These guys have decided that they don’t like him anymore and are laying into him with a loose discussion of semi-facts and half truths.

Recruiting  stars and needs are two different things. Our lack at the latter is why we have a pile of QBs, undersized RBs and rarely employed TEs sitting on the bench and an offensive line full of projects and transfers with very little depth at all. The only area we’ve recruited well is defense and I still suspect that was forced on Gus. 

5 hours ago, aucom96 said:

The only area we’ve recruited well is defense and I still suspect that was forced on Gus. 

According to the podcast, Gus has a say in defensive recruiting as well. As a matter of fact, they mentioned that Goober Brown loves Nehemiah Pritchett but Gus is the one holding off. They also mentioned that Josh Marsh was a Gus pick. 

9 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Recruiting stars are great, it's eye candy and bragging rights for the fan base.  And when your program hauls in top 10 classes every year & pulls a few studs away from your rivals then we can all poke out our chest and feel good about the future.  The fans will have a flying fit if AU doesn't rate highly in the recruiting ranking's every year.  I can't imagine this place if Gus hadn't pulled in highly ranked classes.

If you fail to pull SEC level talent for your trenches then you're fighting an uphill battle in this conference. And we see what happens when you ignore or just can't obtain quality talent for your oline.

Now as to the podcast, Brian Matthews for years has painted a nice picture of Auburn's recruiting and praised the staff for working hard and pulling in great talent.  I can't ever remember hearing him cast a negative light on any specific position group or point fingers at an AU staffer in a negative way.  I'm surprised to now hear him disparage recruiting.  Why didn't he publicly address these issues 2-3 yrs ago?  Why now?

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

According to the podcast, Gus has a say in defensive recruiting as well. As a matter of fact, they mentioned that Goober Brown loves Nehemiah Pritchett but Gus is the one holding off. They also mentioned that Josh Marsh was a Gus pick. 

IIRC, Gus was somewhat pushed into hiring Will Muschamp and the timing was perfect because Will was available at the time.   After Will came on board, he was totally and completely shocked at how CGM managed AU recruiting.  From talent evaluation to CMG's method of prioritizing available talent all the way to his thoughts on filling the needs of his roster.  I think WM was the catalyst in changing the defensive recruiting processes.  Gus has the lions share of input and the final decisions, but defense took a big step up due to Muschamp/Steele bringing their past experience to the table.

21 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Jeebus chrimmus. We're having to beg Hugh Freeze to start his rehab tour wearing our colors.

But yeah, let's talk about how we were just a couple plays away from defeating the mighty Bulldogs of Mississippi State and the fearsome Volunteers of Tennessee.

Archived