Tora's Travel Guide to Nashville--Music City Bowl Must-Do's!

ToraGirl

Just a sunny-side post for any planning to check out the Music City Bowl and DON'T already have a full itinerary.  My specialty is "budget travel" with as much international as possible, so I'll save the big expense ideas for someone else.  I was born to a struggling couple...Daddy finishing Vanderbilt grad school in '68 and hired by Auburn (botany/microbiology) right out.  Mom a high school biology teacher.  We are in TN at least 2 times a year, not far from Nashville, for family celebrations and may check out the $22/seat tix ourselves.  Here goes!

My favorite (budget) restaurants: Mas Tacos Por Favor, Biscuit Love, Fido, Loveless Cafe, Back to Cuba Cafe (unreal roast pork and Latin fixings), Calypso Cafe, Athens Family Restaurant.  Love Puckett's Grocery for best burger and live music, too...there's one downtown now, but I've only been to the original in Leiper's Fork.  Bongo Java and The Well are worthy coffee-stops.  I hear tell, "Don't miss 'Nashville Hot Chicken'."

My favorite lodging option:  https://www.airbnb.com/users/28700466/listings  *Get a private loft for less than the price of a hotel room, free street parking and fabulous amenities!

Favorite free spots to hit in and around the game:  Centennial Park/the Parthenon, Opryland Hotel (but park in the back of the adjacent Opry Mills Mall and take the walkthrough to the OH...don't pay OH parking)--a true WinterWonderland, strolling the Vandy, Belmont, David Lipscomb, and Scarritt campuses, McKays' Book and Music Superstore (they'll take your trade-ins, too), walk around West End--funky shops and great cafes/coffee.  I rack up for my classroom at their multiple thrift stores...  😁

A bit of history and kids-of-all-ages-stuff:  Andrew Jackson's Hermitage, Belle Meade Plantation (never been), Carnton Plantation in Franklin (Civil War Hospital--fascinating), Adventure Science Center (formerly Cumberland Museum), Country Music Hall of Fame (even if you're not into country music, you'll like it).  There's the Grand Ole Opry, as well...but I'm not really into country music.

Best shopping/Favorite groceries:  Trader Joes (near Green Hills), Green Hills Mall (upscale), Cool Spring Galleria, Opry Mills, and the aforementioned funky WestEnd spots.  Leiper's Fork if you have your own car...historic, nostalgic, and off the beaten path.  Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban have a house nearby, as do countless others I don't know...

My newest discovery:  If you're a fan of "Chopped", judge Maneet Chauhan and her husband have opened a restaurant, Chauhan...Indian meets Southern...fusion.  Really good!  They live in Nashville, now...and they are working on an Asian spot right next door.

Finally...https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g55229-Activities-zft11292-Nashville_Davidson_County_Tennessee.html

Image result for nashville fun

Locals, add more!!  Always looking for new spots!

We better enjoy this one! It’s going to be a rough 2019 

Five Points Pizza is a great spot if you want to get a tasty slice. They have a friendly, local hipster crowd and a great beer selection. 

I don’t recommend driving anywhere, as parking is scarce and expensive. You can Uber anywhere in town for about $9-10. Most public parking lots are a minimum of $25 for 2 hours. 

Disclaimer: I haven’t been to Nashville in 3 years, so my pricing and friendly hipster data might be outdated. 

Go see the Predators play. They're the best team in hockey right now. The musical act between periods is always good. Demo's is a good place to eat with reasonable prices nearby.

Visit the Ryman Auditorium, even if you can't make it for a show. But, if can make it to a show, then don't debate about it. Go! You won't regret it.

The Johnny Cash museum is worth a visit, if you're a fan. The Hatch show print tour is fun too. Highly recommend the walking tours in Franklin.

Craft beer drinkers: go to Southern Grist(two tap rooms, same beers on tap) and Bearded Iris. Shop at Craft Brewed. 

Bar to drink at with the best tap list that I’ve found: Flying Saucer. Honorable mention—12 South Tap Room.

Food is better at 12 South, plus it’s a cool little area to mingle. Flying Saucer is downtown, ‘okay’ bar food, short walking distance to Broadway(which I usually avoid). 

Printer’s Alley is worth checking out for quieter bars than Broadway, but still close to downtown. 

13 hours ago, AuburnSoldier said:

Five Points Pizza is a great spot if you want to get a tasty slice. They have a friendly, local hipster crowd and a great beer selection. 

I don’t recommend driving anywhere, as parking is scarce and expensive. You can Uber anywhere in town for about $9-10. Most public parking lots are a minimum of $25 for 2 hours. 

Disclaimer: I haven’t been to Nashville in 3 years, so my pricing and friendly hipster data might be outdated. 

We ate at 5 Points Pizza back in October. Pizza was pretty bomb. 

first post, but nashville local.  All the above are awesome, not really going to go wrong.  Depends on what you are into; east nashville is going to have the younger more hipster crowd and where i have seen a lot of places reported here. Rosepeppers, Mas tacos, burger up is good (two locations)....lots of solid choices. for breakfast hit up the biscuit house but the wait is long (I think it was featured on gameday or HLN or something).

Definitely check out the predators, vandy basketball is fun if it is in town, but be warned, if you haven't been to Nashville in 5+ years....its a lot different. There. are. a. lot. of . people. here. now. so plan for that. like a lot of people.

If you are into fitness nashville has several good crossfit gyms and Y's; downtown branch Y is solid, Crossfit 615 is a good drop in spot, and there are a few Ninja Warrior style gyms in surrounding cities.

Open to questions if anyone has any. Dont check super often but will answer when I do.

1 minute ago, dazzling_meh said:

first post, but nashville local.  All the above are awesome, not really going to go wrong.  Depends on what you are into; east nashville is going to have the younger more hipster crowd and where i have seen a lot of places reported here. Rosepeppers, Mas tacos, burger up is good (two locations)....lots of solid choices. for breakfast hit up the biscuit house but the wait is long (I think it was featured on gameday or HLN or something).

Definitely check out the predators, vandy basketball is fun if it is in town, but be warned, if you haven't been to Nashville in 5+ years....its a lot different. There. are. a. lot. of . people. here. now. so plan for that. like a lot of people.

If you are into fitness nashville has several good crossfit gyms and Y's; downtown branch Y is solid, Crossfit 615 is a good drop in spot, and there are a few Ninja Warrior style gyms in surrounding cities.

Open to questions if anyone has any. Dont check super often but will answer when I do.

Welcome, post more!!

You can't go wrong with any of the places mentioned in this thread.

Here are some additional places for food: Edley's BBQ, Pharmacy Burger, Smiling Elephant, Rotiers.

If you are traveling a short distance around town, I would recommend using Bird or Lime scooters. They are everywhere so they should never be in shortage.

I would also suggest these spots for foodies.

Urban Grub (near Belmont):  Best shrimp n grits I've ever had outside of Charleston.  Full menu is delicious though.

Tailgate Brewery (Midtown):  Great pizza and the beer selection is really done well.

Patterson House (Midtown):  Pricey, but you get what you pay for.  High quality drinks from professional mixologists.  You should really go for one if you're into high level cocktails.

Also, if you want one of the best hockey experiences in the world, the Preds will be in town during bowl week.  It's very much worth the price of admission.  Arena is right downtown on Broadway.

1 hour ago, arein0 said:

You can't go wrong with any of the places mentioned in this thread.

Here are some additional places for food: Edley's BBQ, Pharmacy Burger, Smiling Elephant, Rotiers.

If you are traveling a short distance around town, I would recommend using Bird or Lime scooters. They are everywhere so they should never be in shortage.

Watch those scooters mane....I have seen many a folk death wobble to oblivion on those things.  A few margaritas in and a pothole on a scooter gets pretty hairy.

2 hours ago, dazzling_meh said:

2 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Hey, have you guys tried Butchertown Hall? I was only in Nashville briefly and I ate there and at Hattie B's. I loved both. I know Prince's is the original or whatever but Hattie B's was great and had awesome sides and good local beer. And BH is like a dream restaurant for me- Texas-style BBQ and Mexican, fancier grilled meats, and a killer bar with a great beer list, all in a big, fancy space where you can see fire.

Nashville is on our shortlist if we make another move. I know it's on a LOT of people's shortlists. As an Atlanta ex-pat, I totally feel your pain. 

We're planning to move to Knoxville in the summer.

After reading this thread I'm starting to re-think what part of TN we'll be moving too 😉.

Not really, but I'll definitely be pushing for some visits to Nashville in the future 😁.

I love Nashville. Not into all the plantations and stuff though. Jack Daniels distillery is close. There are some good restaurants in the suburbs as well, places like Franklin, mt Juliet, etc. Murfreesboro is close too. I can't remember the hotel but downtown I stayed in one of the nicest rooms. Had a huge Jacuzzi in it, overlooked the city it was awesome.

You also have Dave and buster's and top golf and places like that in the area

On our last trip we found a fun activity I have not seen mentioned yet, the Nash Trash Tour. This a an off beat tour around downtown Nashville in a pink school bus with two ladies providing some one liner comedy, not for the thin-skinned especially if they decide you are the passenger du jour.

Nash Trash Tour

This tour sells out fast, so if you are interested book early and BYOB.

I didn’t read every post on the thread. If it hasn’t already been mentioned, “The Pickers” television show has a store in Nashville. My wife and I really enjoyed it!

Your post about the India restaurant in Nashville, reminded of my trip there in 1995 (yeah long time ago). My wife and I drove from Auburn, she had an exam to take at Vanderbilt. After the exam, I got her some Dosas (from a nearby Indian restaurant), she still talks about that. Those days, we didn't have any restaurants in Auburn, so any Indian food was premium. 

53 minutes ago, IndianTiger said:

Your post about the India restaurant in Nashville, reminded of my trip there in 1995 (yeah long time ago). My wife and I drove from Auburn, she had an exam to take at Vanderbilt. After the exam, I got her some Dosas (from a nearby Indian restaurant), she still talks about that. Those days, we didn't have any restaurants in Auburn, so any Indian food was premium. 

I'm with ya! Fell in love with Indian cuisine due to a sweet friend down the street...her dad was a wonderful sociology prof and her mom's chicken saag and shankarpar (had to look that up) were out of this world. I'm so thankful Montgomery (shock!) and Auburn have caught up. Sitar may have a Nashville branch too...Knoxville, Chatt, and Huntsville do. 

Archived