Propst in the SEC

twilli13

8 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I had a coach in early club ball days that had the Probst style. Since it wasn't district or school affiliated you could go where you wanted. Six of us left the team and transferred to a new coach in the league at seasons end.

Best thing that ever happened. Guy was German and had been in the West German and Bayern Munich development leagues before a car wreck. Guy hardly yelled and if he did it was never abusive. In fact the thing you feared from him was him putting his hand on your shoulder and going "we will fix this" in a normal tone. That meant you were about to get drilled to hell and that failure in the drill would result in sprints for others to demonstrate how your ineffectiveness punishes the team. Man never belittled you, or embarrassed you, and would 100% call you on mistakes and coach you to fix mistakes. You literally worked hard every day to not let your teammates down and him down not out of fear but out of respect. This guy was the best individual at constructive criticism I have ever seen in my life.

First time we played my old team we won 7-1 and it could of been worse if he had not given the keep away and 3 touch limit order. Meaning you had 3 touches to receive and distribute and no shooting allowed. We only lost 3 players the entire time we were with him, cause they moved, and every starter and back up that was on that team got D1 scholarships.

People would ask him why he didn't do the whole intensive yell thing. His response was "Hitler did that, his best men tried to murder him and he ruined countries and lives".

I can count on one hand the number of times I've yelled at a player.  There is no reason to. To me, Belittlement, embarrassment, and ridicule are prime characteristics of men that truly don't know what it means to be a coach.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I can count on one hand the number of times I've yelled at a player.  There is no reason to. To me, Belittlement, embarrassment, and ridicule are prime characteristics of men that truly don't know what it means to be a coach.

I had a defensive coordinator call me a (kitty cat) in practice one day. I wasn't a very good football player, but I assure you that toughness wasn't a problem. I finished practice with a concussion one day. Everything was green for a few hours. It was literally like I was wearing sunglasses with green lenses, but on with the Oklahoma drill we went. I broke my collarbone in the middle of a full pads scrimmage another time and finished the scrimmage. I think I was playing TE. (Small school, even smaller team, we all played both ways.) Anyway, this DC didn't like me. None of the coaches did. So he called me that name, maybe trying to motivate me, maybe just being a dick. I was lined up over center with the 2s. After the practice, he tried to be all buddy buddy with me and tell me how strong I finished practice. I dropped my pads on the ground in front of him and never came back. The head coached called me on the phone that night and asked me to come back. I said no thanks. 

I never regretted leaving. It would have weighed on my conscience much more heavily to continue to support those coaches by staying on the team. They were bastards. Just real crap human beings. I was happy when I heard about the head coach getting fired. He had to move to Mississippi to find another job. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I had a defensive coordinator call me a (kitty cat) in practice one day. I wasn't a very good football player, but I assure you that toughness wasn't a problem. I finished practice with a concussion one day. Everything was green for a few hours. It was literally like I was wearing sunglasses with green lenses, but on with the Oklahoma drill we went. I broke my collarbone in the middle of a full pads scrimmage another time and finished the scrimmage. I think I was playing TE. (Small school, even smaller team, we all played both ways.) Anyway, this DC didn't like me. None of the coaches did. So he called me that name, maybe trying to motivate me, maybe just being a dick. I was lined up over center with the 2s. After the practice, he tried to be all buddy buddy with me and tell me how strong I finished practice. I dropped my pads on the ground in front of him and never came back. The head coached called me on the phone that night and asked me to come back. I said no thanks. 

I never regretted leaving. It would have weighed on my conscience much more heavily to continue to support those coaches by staying on the team. They were bastards. Just real crap human beings. I was happy when I heard about the head coach getting fired. He had to move to Mississippi to find another job. 

I've worked with many that have that kind of mind set.  All you can do is make sure the kids know that someone is there that cares.  It's funny/sad when you have lineman come up and tell you they wish they were smaller so they could play safety.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I've worked with many that have that kind of mind set.  All you can do is make sure the kids know that someone is there that cares.  It's funny/sad when you have lineman come up and tell you they wish they were smaller so they could play safety.

I have my theories about guys like that, but I wouldn't be saying anything new to you. 

Anyway, my son probably isn't destined for football, but he would certainly never play for a guy like Propst. 

Propst to talk with Tennessee, Alabama (Dec 18, 2017 )

Being from Colquitt County, it seems that RP floats potential jobs at the college level as leverage for pay raises.  If I recall last year he said that he needed to move up because of needing more money. In 2015, he was the 2nd highest paid high school coach in Georgia.

I want to emphasize the last paragraph in the article

"Now 59, Propst did comment that the chance to get a significant salary increase would factor into his decision on whether to leave Colquitt County."

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I have my theories about guys like that, but I wouldn't be saying anything new to you. 

Anyway, my son probably isn't destined for football, but he would certainly never play for a guy like Propst. 

The coaches was one of the reasons my mother didn't let me play when I was really young. She viewed many of them as trying to relive their glory days and unable to teach proper technique. She didn't want me injured from their stupidity and ego.

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

I can why since your coaching 10 year olds otherwise its child abuse

Archived