Manny Diaz to be new Miami HC

aujeff11

I don't blame Diaz for taking a better job, but I also don't blame any player out there for looking out for themselves if their situation is not right for them. Coaches bounce around as better opportunities come around to better their career. Nothing wrong with players doing the same.
I'll bet most Cane fans are pretty happy with this change of head coaches.

6 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Makes perfect sense. 

Temple's pissed, though, right?  

14 day HC career at Temple.

37 minutes ago, CR said:

14 day HC career at Temple.

Yep, 14 days and a 4 million buyout. 

Diaz got plenty of media love as a DC and the U - before playing a decent bowl team - had gaudy D stats this season. But throughout his career his mo has been stuffing the southern miss's and FIU's of the world while looking unprepared against top 25 teams. During his DC stint at UM he put up nice stats first part of every season that the media ran with then every single year his Ds get embarassed as soon as they played top 25 caliber teams. Six yrs removed from DC of the worst D in Texas HISTORY. Better than avg recruiter but as an AU fan I was sad to see him leave Miss St. I think they're getting another Mark Richt.

7 hours ago, gr82be said:

Yep, 14 days and a 4 million buyout. 

That is a case when school should hold the departing coach fully liable.   Puts them in a bad way for next year....and recruits ?

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

That is a case when school should hold the departing coach fully liable.   Puts them in a bad way for next year....and recruits ?

Miami is paying Temple the $4M to acquire Diaz.  It's just a money-shuffle, accounted for in Diaz' Miami contract.  

4 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Miami is paying Temple the $4M to acquire Diaz.  It's just a money-shuffle, accounted for in Diaz' Miami contract.  

That is fair I guess but I am thinking Temple is damaged more than that....:dunno:   I guess it depends on the staff situation too.

Just now, AU64 said:

That is fair I guess but I am thinking Temple is damaged more than that....:dunno:   I guess it depends on the staff situation too.

Temple's HC office has a revolving door.  Nobody stays for long.  

12 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Temple's HC office has a revolving door.  Nobody stays for long.  

True.....but has been a good stepping stone job ....but kind of late to get a good new guy ...or maybe not.

Just now, AU64 said:

True.....but has been a good stepping stone job ....but kind of late to get a good new guy ...or maybe not.

Goes back to my personal belief that any time is the right time to hire a new coach.  If you have the $ and the facilities, you can have a new coach today.  Temple now has an extra $4M to use as a signing bonus.  ;)

10 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Goes back to my personal belief that any time is the right time to hire a new coach.  If you have the $ and the facilities, you can have a new coach today.  Temple now has an extra $4M to use as a signing bonus.  ;)

10 minutes ago, AURealist said:

a new coach

but not necessarily the guy you want or need or who is gonna take you to new heights. .

JMO but Diaz is not a home-run for Miami.   What made him a good hire was he had just left them ,    probably still had not cleaned out his office yet and would not have any scruples about crapping on Temple.  .  

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

but not necessarily the guy you want or need or who is gonna take you to new heights. .

JMO but Diaz is not a home-run for Miami.   What made him a good hire was he had just left them ,    probably still had not cleaned out his office yet and would not have any scruples about crapping on Temple.  .  

Manny's worth a shot for Miami.  He knows the school.  He knows the town - he's a Miami native.  Plus, Miami's culture is unique.  It's not for everyone.  I never understood the Richt hire for that reason.  He was an alum, but his personal philosophy didn't mesh well with the Miami vibe.  

I don't know about getting the guy you want.  Sometimes that's a bad thing!   :laugh:

5 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I don't know about not getting the guy you want.  Sometimes that's a bad thing!   :laugh:

So true...about every guy who has been fired the past several weeks was the "right guy"......the guy they wanted when he was hired....:-\   It can often take several years to discover the truth about a hire.   Diaz has a checkered past and would not have been my first or second or third choice....but  you do what you have to do sometimes. 

Isn't that the 2nd time in the last few years that's happened to Temple?

Paul Christ maybe?

Diaz is letting the whole O staff go. Which means OL coach Stacy Searels is available. I think he would be a good replacement for Grimes. 

10 hours ago, cctiger said:

Diaz is letting the whole O staff go. Which means OL coach Stacy Searels is available. I think he would be a good replacement for Grimes. 

Would he come to AU for what could be just one season?  

12 hours ago, cctiger said:

2 hours ago, AURealist said:

Would he come to AU for what could be just one season?  

An unemployed coach likes to work.

Archived