If this story is corroborated, it is the end

AUDub

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flipping Buzzfeed may win a Pulitzer in the near future. Let that sink in. 

Well the writer is confident. 

Buzzfeed taking a huge shot here. Either they're right or their credibility is shot. 

So I have a slightly different take. While I think this news is damning, and worth examining in more detail, however, I think it highlights just how much more serious evidence there must be building against Trump given the fact that this has taken until now to come out. Let's be honest, if this were the only real thing with hard evidence that the Special Counsel had that implicated Trump in a crime I think we would have heard about it sooner through court docs, etc. The fact that this still only seems to be another puzzle piece leads me to conclude that there is way bigger crimes that will be uncovered at the end of this.

Couple this article with Rudy's statements denying he ever said the Trump campaign didn't collude or conspire with the Russians... there is just so much here that I don't think we even have a clue about *yet*.

2 hours ago, channonc said:

So I have a slightly different take. While I think this news is damning, and worth examining in more detail, however, I think it highlights just how much more serious evidence there must be building against Trump given the fact that this has taken until now to come out. Let's be honest, if this were the only real thing with hard evidence that the Special Counsel had that implicated Trump in a crime I think we would have heard about it sooner through court docs, etc. The fact that this still only seems to be another puzzle piece leads me to conclude that there is way bigger crimes that will be uncovered at the end of this.

Couple this article with Rudy's statements denying he ever said the Trump campaign didn't collude or conspire with the Russians... there is just so much here that I don't think we even have a clue about *yet*.

That's a good take. 

Guaranteed two things have happened: 1) Trump's lawyers are advising him not to comment at this point (this advise will likely go out the window soon). They probably don't even know the real truth anyway; and 2) Most WH staff have their own attorneys at this point, particularly those who were in/around the campaign at all-- personal attorneys are advising not to directly answer these questions in order to shield themselves from any (or in some cases further) questioning by the OSC.

3 hours ago, channonc said:

You may be right but the BuzzFeed guy who wrote the article says he has nothing to back up his article. Funny how some folks will bash Buzzfeed when it don't suit them but love it when it is something negative about Trump.

null

3 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

You may be right but the BuzzFeed guy who wrote the article says he has nothing to back up his article. Funny how some folks will bash Buzzfeed when it don't suit them but love it when it is something negative about Trump.

I thought this interview cleared up that issue.

https://twitter.com/NewDay/status/1086293890234232835

3 minutes ago, channonc said:

Should be noted that Cormier’s reputation is excellent, and that he already has a Pulitzer. 

Just now, AUDub said:

Should be noted that Cormier’s reputation is excellent, and that he already has a Pulitzer. 

Very true and definitely worth noting.

4 minutes ago, channonc said:

He seems confused. He said on MSNBC that he couldn't corroborate what he wrote. In any event why would anyone believe Cohen about anything at this point. It would be great of Mueller would wrap up his whole investigation so all the speculation can stop.

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

He seems confused. He said on MSNBC that he couldn't corroborate what he wrote. In any event why would anyone believe Cohen about anything at this point. It would be great of Mueller would wrap up his whole investigation so all the speculation can stop.

Can you link to the MSNBC interview? I didn't see it.

Trump repeatedly talked up Russian President Vladimir Putin to American voters during this period. The BuzzFeed report tells us this:

Trump was even made aware that Cohen was speaking to Russian government officials about the deal. The lawyer at one point spoke to a Kremlin aide as he sought support for the tower.

Trump also encouraged Cohen to plan a trip to Russia during the campaign, where the candidate could meet face-to-face with Putin.

If true, it seems plausible or even likely that Trump knew the Kremlin was being consulted about his Trump Tower deal, and he wanted to make a trip to see Putin, likely about this very topic.

Let’s not forget that, during the period in question, Republican primary voters were choosing their party’s presidential candidate, and again and again, Trump talked up the need for better relations with Russia and Putin, and publicly absolved Putin of various nefarious charges against him. He presented this as a good-faith description of what he saw to be in the national interest. But if the BuzzFeed report is correct, he understood that he had a direct financial stake in making this argument to a far greater degree than we thought.

The new story suggests Donald Trump Jr. may have committed perjury. The BuzzFeed report says:

Donald Trump Jr., meanwhile, testified to the Senate Judiciary Committee on Sept. 7, 2017, that he was only “peripherally aware” of the plan to build a tower in Moscow. “Most of my knowledge has been gained since as it relates to hearing about it over the last few weeks.”

The two law enforcement sources disputed this characterization and said that he and Cohen had multiple, detailed conversations on this subject during the campaign.

“If there’s contemporaneous physical evidence backing up this reporting,” Vladeck told me, “that evidence could be proof that Junior perjured himself when he testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee in 2017.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/01/18/five-big-takeaways-stunning-report-that-trump-told-cohen-lie/?utm_term=.a34bf57f1cd7

1 minute ago, channonc said:

Can you link to the MSNBC interview? I didn't see it.

Sorry I can't. Just saw a replay of it somewhere last night.

5 hours ago, AUDub said:

Well the writer is confident. 

Buzzfeed taking a huge shot here. Either they're right or their credibility is shot restored.

FTFY

2 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

FTFY

Hey, now. Buzzfeed News is a legit news org. This isn't the part of the site that posts silly cat videos and the like.

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

image.jpeg

Guys, this is the kind of financial mess I just assumed would do the bastard in. He has cut corners all his life and when they flipped Cohen...well they got the motherlode.

Folks, when the boot-lickers and butt-kissers at Fox turn on Trump, the story is probably 1) true and 2) Trump Admin is over.

I would add that we have yet to hear anything that Alan Weisselberg has contributed. SDNY has granted him full immunity. This guy has been at the Trump Org since back when Trump's dad was running it. Prosecutors don't give full immunity unless you really have the goods to give. Again, there's so much more that has yet to come out.

13 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Hey, now. Buzzfeed News is a legit news org. This isn't the part of the site that posts silly cat videos and the like.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/buzzfeed/

Founded in 2006 and headquartered in New York, Buzzfeed is a media news company delivering social news and entertainment.

61% Rate Buzzseed Extreme Leftwing Bias. "Use of loaded words" etc etc etc

BuzzFeed often publishes “Listicles” with images or GIFs and short content with links such as “100 Pictures That’ll Make You Pee Yourself Laughing”  or “42 Cat GIFs Guaranteed To Make You Laugh Every Time”.  They also publish viral videos, as well as political news on their news website.

In review of their reporting of news stories, Buzzfeed utilizes emotionally loaded language in their headlines “Trump Excluded Democrats From A Lunch Meeting On The Shutdown” and “The US Envoy On ISIS, Brett McGurk, Quit In Protest Over Trump’s Withdrawal From Syria”.  When it comes to sourcing they typically source to themselves, however they also utilize credible sources such as the Des Moines Register and Associated Press. Further, BuzzFeed does not clearly label opinion pieces, which makes it difficulty to tell the difference between straight news content and editorials. In general, most Buzzfeed stories favor the left.

In January 2017, Buzzfeed published the Steele Dossier about alleged Russia collusion, which caused President Donald Trump to criticize them by saying Buzzfeed is a ‘failing pile of garbage’. In December 2018, according to Politico, “The libel case over the dossier it published before Trump took office gets tossed.”

A factual search reveals that Buzzfeed has failed two fact checks that can be seen here and here.

Overall, we rate Buzzfeed Left-Center Biased due to story selection that tends to favor the left and Mixed for factual reporting based on poor sourcing and a few failed fact checks. (6/30/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 12/23/18)

Buzzfeed is not a news source. If you want to Read Clickbait like "100 Ways Your GF is Hotter than Ariana Grande" then you read Buzzfeed. 
I would actually refer to Buzzfeed as "ClickBait" more than anything. 

1 minute ago, DKW 86 said:

Buzzfeed is not a news source. If you want to Read Clickbait like "100 Ways Your GF is Hotter than Ariana Grande" then you read Buzzfeed. 
I would actually refer to Buzzfeed as "ClickBait" more than anything. 

Buzzfeed was founded as an entertainment site that, around 2011, birthed a legit news division. Buzzfeed News is actually a serious publication. They have several Pulitzer finalists on staff, at least one Pulitzer winner and have been finalists or winners of several other journalism awards

Archived