For Comparison's Sake

Rednilla

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Back to the point of the thread, I think he's good with the potential to be better as he gets farther into his tenure as a college head coach. It's that potential which gives me hope.

What potential? He has got worse every year to me since he became our head coach sans 1 year in 2017. His offenses are no longer effective and we hired him because we thought he would be what Lincoln Riley is for Oklahoma. He is in year 7. How much further in his tenure do we have to go to be able to see this great potential he supposedly has? We know who he is and what he is. He is a average to slightly above average coach. He has lost completely the ability to put a juggernaut offense on the field. He is the most stubborn coach I have ever witnessed. He is married to his system and has no clue how to fix it. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Rednilla said:

Back to the point of the thread, I think he's good with the potential to be better as he gets farther into his tenure as a college head coach. It's that potential which gives me hope.

Honestly I had all the hope in the guy in 2017, I even had hope in our new President and with Jacobs out the door I had hope that the astronomical extension and pay raise would work out.  You know a breath of fresh air after Gouge & Jacobs.

Then I sat and watched him throw away another LSU game, and me and my family sat in the stand at MSU with those deafening cow bells and I watch his team appear to give up to a 1st yr HC.  The following week I watched another 1st yr HC clean his clock and call his damn plays from the sideline, then I watched him run out the clock in the Iron Bowl. :banghead:  From start to finish of the 2018 season all hope vanished for me.

Right now all I'm asking for is for him to string together back to back 9 win seasons.  I don't think that's asking too much as an Auburn fan.

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

What potential? He has got worse every year to me since he became our head coach sans 1 year in 2017. His offenses are no longer effective and we hired him because we thought he would be what Lincoln Riley is for Oklahoma. He is in year 7. How much further in his tenure do we have to go to be able to see this great potential he supposedly has? We know who he is and what he is. He is a average to slightly above average coach. He has lost completely the ability to put a juggernaut offense on the field. He is the most stubborn coach I have ever witnessed. He is married to his system and has no clue how to fix it. 

:bow:

I've seen very few signs of potential to propel Auburn to the next level.  While I watch other programs, some in our own division make strides on the offensive side of the ball, I saw the same stuff from our guys vs Tulane.

Gus is good, he is consistent and he is stuck in a rut that many fans after 7 yrs don't want to be in.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Honestly I had all the hope in the guy in 2017, I even had hope in our new President and with Jacobs out the door I had hope that the astronomical extension and pay raise would work out.  You know a breath of fresh air after Gouge & Jacobs.

Then I sat and watched him throw away another LSU game, and me and my family sat in the stand at MSU with those deafening cow bells and I watch his team appear to give up to a 1st yr HC.  The following week I watched another 1st yr HC clean his clock and call his damn plays from the sideline, then I watched him run out the clock in the Iron Bowl. :banghead:  From start to finish of the 2018 season all hope vanished for me.

Right now all I'm asking for is for him to string together back to back 9 win seasons.  I don't think that's asking too much as an Auburn fan.

We are 2-0 so far, let's see where we go from here before we  start building the scaffold. If Gus completely blows it then I guess we need to start looking around. The ball is in his court. 

WDE!!!

The fact that we even have this thread is depressing. We have at least one like it every year pointing out how Gus is actually the equal of (or better than)some really high-level, accomplished coaches. It’s like, if we just keep hoping and wishing hard enough, Gus will turn into the coaching juggernaut we all want him to be. But, as @bigbirdpointed out in a thread recently, in his now seventh year as our coach we see the same issues with game-planning, talent utilization, etc. that we have seen every year (yes, we are only 2 games in this year but the early returns are ominous). Hope is a great thing but not a very effective strategy in the cutthroat world of college football. I will always support Auburn and cheer for them no matter who walks on the field as HC. I sure would like to see a guy leading the team out of the tunnel that gave me confidence that he was putting us in the best position to be successful that he possibly could; since at least 2015 I haven’t felt that Gus is that guy.

55 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He has got worse every year to me since he became our head coach sans 1 year in 2017.

Do you really think he was better in 2017? Yes, the UGa-1 and UA games were great but Clemson, LSU,UGa-2  and UCF all looked like the same mess we’d seen a bunch before (and since). Honestly, in the big picture, those two games look like outliers and resulted in a poorly conceived, millstone of a contract. Those two games and the same pair in 2013 are mostly what Gus has to hang his hat on at AU.

41 minutes ago, fredst said:

The fact that we even have this thread is depressing. We have at least one like it every year pointing out how Gus is actually the equal of (or better than)some really high-level, accomplished coaches. It’s like, if we just keep hoping and wishing hard enough, Gus will turn into the coaching juggernaut we all want him to be. But, as @bigbirdpointed out in a thread recently, in his now seventh year as our coach we see the same issues with game-planning, talent utilization, etc. that we have seen every year (yes, we are only 2 games in this year but the early returns are ominous). Hope is a great thing but not a very effective strategy in the cutthroat world of college football. I will always support Auburn and cheer for them no matter who walks on the field as HC. I sure would like to see a guy leading the team out of the tunnel that gave me confidence that he was putting us in the best position to be successful that he possibly could; since at least 2015 I haven’t felt that Gus is that guy.

This. It's not like he hasn't had the time to improve or evolve. He's also had time to realize it wasn't effective and hire in a real OC and assistants and give them autonomy.  He did it for the defense...because they were ineffective prior. I think he could be a program runner if he could just the "system" go and evolve with our competitors. 

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Your opinion. I think that November, combined with the other wins in 2017, should have bought him the time it did. I don't think it should have given him the dollars it did, but in today's atmosphere, the buyout is the only thing that has kept him around. Personally, I think he should be exactly where he is, all things considered. If we go 7-5, he's probably gone. If we go 8-4, he probably stays, but his seat will be blisteringly hot next season. If we go 9-3 (and don't get embarrassed by our three biggest rivals), he's at about an even keel. If we go 10-2, most Auburn fans are happy. If we go 11-1, we're probably in the playoffs.

Of course, if we end up 11-3 with a loss in the SEC Championship Game and a let down in a New Year's Six bowl, people like you will likely still be screaming for his head, because we will have won essentially nothing. Right?

People like me? Check yourself and any more assumptions you're tempted to make about me or anyone else.

1 hour ago, Slammer1 said:

We are 2-0 so far, let's see where we go from here before we  start building the scaffold.

I believe “gallows” was the word you were looking for, lol. Yes, I’m holding out (faint) hope but I feel like this is “Rocky, part 600-something” with the same storyline we’ve seen before. 

37 minutes ago, fredst said:

Do you really think he was better in 2017? Yes, the UGa-1 and UA games were great but Clemson, LSU,UGa-2  and UCF all looked like the same mess we’d seen a bunch before (and since). Honestly, in the big picture, those two games look like outliers and resulted in a poorly conceived, millstone of a contract. Those two games and the same pair in 2013 are mostly what Gus has to hang his hat on at AU.

You my mentor are absolutely correct!! I just had to throw that in and give them a bone because at least he did not look words that season. Well sans for the LSU game which may be the worst coached game of his tenure.

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

People like me? Check yourself and any more assumptions you're tempted to make about me or anyone else.

Yes, people like you, who consider that fantastic November of 2017 and our run to the championship game all for naught because we lost it. I made no assumptions, I'm going on what you have described as your thought process in this thread. Check what I actually said against your judgments and see if they don't line up.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Yes, people like you, who consider that fantastic November of 2017 and our run to the championship game all for naught because we lost it. I made no assumptions, I'm going on what you have described as your thought process in this thread. Check what I actually said against your judgments and see if they don't line up.

People like you embrace and reward mediocrity. Unfortunately, sometimes it seems people who make important decisions about our program are people like you.

11-3 would be a truly shocking result this season. I hope we get to talk about our feelings about a win total like that. But if those other 3 are typical Gus bedwettings like the losses in 2017? Yeah. I'll complain about it.

2 hours ago, fredst said:

I believe “gallows” was the word you were looking for, lol. Yes, I’m holding out (faint) hope but I feel like this is “Rocky, part 600-something” with the same storyline we’ve seen before. 

Underrated Zeppelin song there. Think I see my friends a comin', ridin many a mile...

Anyway - Red, I appreciate the effort with this thread and I wish I could back you up. The best I can really do is ask this much of fellow fans: Let's all try to grit our teeth and bite our tongues at least until Nov. 30. I see the same issues most of you do and am immensely frustrated by them, but I still want to support the team while they are fighting. 

The trajectory of this season feels more predictable than any other I can remember, in terms of most likely beating the teams with lesser talent and getting pushed around by the three main rivals. I'll gladly eat those words and apologize if I'm wrong, but this was probably the least excited I've been in advance of an AU football season. It just says a lot that we even have a thread like this at 2-0 and #8. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

People like you embrace and reward mediocrity. Unfortunately, sometimes it seems people who make important decisions about our program are people like you.

11-3 would be a truly shocking result this season. I hope we get to talk about our feelings about a win total like that. But if those other 3 are typical Gus bedwettings like the losses in 2017? Yeah. I'll complain about it.

So now that you actually consider it, you agree with me, but you can't help getting a shot in at me before admitting it. Right. Carry on, Loof.

1 minute ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Underrated Zeppelin song there. Think I see my friends a comin', ridin many a mile...

Anyway - Red, I appreciate the effort with this thread and I wish I could back you up. The best I can really do is ask this much of fellow fans: Let's all try to grit our teeth and bite our tongues at least until Nov. 30. I see the same issues most of you do and am immensely frustrated by them, but I still want to support the team while they are fighting. 

The trajectory of this season feels more predictable than any other I can remember, in terms of most likely beating the teams with lesser talent and getting pushed around by the three main rivals. I'll gladly eat those words and apologize if I'm wrong. It just says a lot that we even have a thread like this at 2-0 and #8. 

Nice job on the Led Zeppelin pick!

7 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

The trajectory of this season feels more predictable than any other I can remember, in terms of most likely beating the teams with lesser talent and getting pushed around by the three main rivals. I'll gladly eat those words and apologize if I'm wrong, but this was probably the least excited I've been in advance of an AU football season. It just says a lot that we even have a thread like this at 2-0 and #8. 

Nice reference to deep cut Zeppelin😛. Personally, “When the Levee Breaks” my personal fave. I agree with your sentiments expressed here

1 minute ago, fredst said:

Nice reference to deep cut Zeppelin😛. Personally, “When the Levee Breaks” my personal fave. I agree with your sentiments expressed here

Seriously could be the best intro of any song in history. They have so many incredible ones though - No Quarter and Achilles Last Stand are also amazing if you haven't listened to those lately. 

11 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Seriously could be the best intro of any song in history. They have so many incredible ones though - No Quarter and Achilles Last Stand are also amazing if you haven't listened to those lately. 

Agree. Bonzo is, I think without question, the greatest rock drummer of all time. If none of us can agree about Gus surely we can all come together in harmony over Led Zeppelin😛.

P.S. Despite her host of amazing qualities, my wife does not like Led Zeppelin. WTH?

P.P.S. I love thread derailments like this, particularly when the threads are going nowhere, lol.

9 hours ago, Rednilla said:

So now that you actually consider it, you agree with me, but you can't help getting a shot in at me before admitting it. Right. Carry on, Loof.

Hah, so now "people like you" is a shot. 

And no, I didn't say the same thing you did. 

How did "Whole Lotta Love" not get included on the best intros list????

13 hours ago, Rednilla said:

That’s fair but I think what people are saying is it’s year 7. If he goes 8 and whatever again this year, how much more time do we need to give him before we say enough is enough? 10 years? The competition level isn’t going to get any easier and as far as I know, other programs seem to being do everything possible to jump ahead of the curve. And to think, apparently next year the offensive line will be more green than this one? To me this is the year we need to have a defining answer and I hope we do. 

I just look at what he's built on the offensive side of the ball. He champions a run-first spread, yet he is on the precipice of a major disaster because he won't recruit line. I don't think he's coherently recruited at running back, either. We have an absolute hodge-podge of athletes at the position, but one injury and fumble prone converted QB is our best hope? We have recruited WR probably more heavily than any position on the offensive side of the ball, but our passing philosophy seems to consist of about three routes most of the time. I think Gus has proven he knows how to script plays and series. I think he's proven he knows how to sit in a film room and counter some pretty stout defensive coaching. I don't think he's shown he can consistently build and maintain a team after seven seasons and the cracks are only going to get bigger.

53 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

I just look at what he's built on the offensive side of the ball. He champions a run-first spread, yet he is on the precipice of a major disaster because he won't recruit line. I don't think he's coherently recruited at running back, either. We have an absolute hodge-podge of athletes at the position, but one injury and fumble prone converted QB is our best hope? We have recruited WR probably more heavily than any position on the offensive side of the ball, but our passing philosophy seems to consist of about three routes most of the time. I think Gus has proven he knows how to script plays and series. I think he's proven he knows how to sit in a film room and counter some pretty stout defensive coaching. I don't think he's shown he can consistently build and maintain a team after seven seasons and the cracks are only going to get bigger.

Personally I think he has hit his apex at coaching ( I could be wrong). I think if he was strictly an OC he would be a rockstar. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Also the most sexually explicit song in rock history, lol. What about “Black Dog”? Almost too many to mention.....

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Hah, so now "people like you" is a shot. 

And no, I didn't say the same thing you did. 

Good call- I was sort of going for the deeper tracks that aren't played as much on radio. 

Archived