Looking Back at AU/Florida Rivalry (Threads Merged)

Viper

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

1983 on a gorgeous October day at Jordan Hare. Charlie Pell and Florida not enough for Auburn and Bo. Word was that Bo had no sleep the night before due to flu- like symptoms. Still produced an All America game. Dye said in later years that he had never been in another game with so much talent assembled on a field. Combined the two teams that day sent 40 plus players to careers in the NFL.

I was in the stands that day and Tommy Powell’s strip of the UF RB changed the momentum of that game.  The next play, Bo took it 80 yards for the score, a true 14 point swing. A glorious day to be sure.

56 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

the absolute best was 1917 game 68-0 curb stomping

The 63-14 curb stomping in 1970 was pretty good too.  That was in Gainesville. 

Almost forgot -  the 1987 Halloween game.  Night game, 2 top 10 teams, and we blew out a rival.  It was Halloween night, so tons of parties after the game.  Great time to be a student. 

Others have already mentioned the amazing amount of talent on the field, but Auburn's 28-21 win in 1983 stands out for me.

Another one is Auburn's 10-7 win in 1989. AU got kicked around the whole game but was only behind 7-3. We had the ball, 4th down and forever and a few seconds left when Reggie Slack hit Shayne Wasden with a 40-yard TD pass and AU won. I just had to sit still and cuss under my breath for a few minutes after that one.

Here's a link to the play and call, starting at the 3:10 mark. It was a thing of beauty.

Growing up my family always got together for the AU-Florida game because it usually fell around my uncle's birthday in October so we're headed to FL this weekend to keep the tradition going . The '01 game's my favorite because it was the last one I'd get with my dad. I remember Spurrier sending the punt team out on 3rd down and my dad said after the game "great now they'll rank us and we'll somehow lose". Arky blew us out 2 weeks later lol

1994 was my absolute favorite. Watched it with my brother, mom and my now wife in our chalet in Gatlinburg. When the game was over, we went outside and shouted with excitement. All those Tennessee fans around us thought we were crazy.

But 2006 was the best that I have actually attended. One of the loudest games I have ever attended. If that team had played with that passion and energy all year, it could have been a special team. 

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

the absolute best was 1917 game 68-0 curb stomping

Wonder what PBR’s tasted like back then? Had to be thicker than sorghum. 

I’m sure golf recalls this ad from 1911...golf, how’d you land that gig?

800px-Pabst_Blue_Ribbon_Ad_1911.jpg

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Reggie Slack hit Shayne Wasden with a 40-yard TD pass and AU won. I just had to sit still and cuss under my breath for a few minutes after that one

Umm ok. Why?

3 hours ago, Wire Road said:

1994 is a close second.  I watched it with some friends who lived at the College Park apartment complex off of Wire Road (can't remember if it was "1" or "2")...For some reason, we had the doors and windows open...When AU won the game, we could definitely hear people screaming all over the apartment complex..I'd swear we could hear people all over town screaming, but that may be selective memory...

Neighbors had to have heard us too. We went berserk. 

Walked into work two days later and a bammer looked at me and went...

JoyousSoupyAcouchi-size_restricted.gif

Both wins over Meyer will always be two of my favorite games ever, period, but the 2007 one edges it out. I will never forget opening a fortune cookie a few weeks before the game (after we had lost to USF, no less) with a generic message saying something like "keep up the good work, you will be rewarded." My mom joked, "heh, maybe we'll beat Florida," no one thinking that was even really a possibility.

"I think about the thame thanth oth me bein thenator of Thlorida."

-Lou Holth

10 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I didn't realize that Gary Walker this year is the son of Gary Walker of 1994.  Was wondering why his name sounded familiar...lol.

Dang. All these eerie connections keep stacking up. 

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dang. All these eerie connections keep stacking up. 

If they show Frank Sanders at the game, it is O-V-E-R.

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

If they show Frank Sanders at the game, it is O-V-E-R.

You want me to blow your mind?

-Frank had 58 catches for 910 yards in '94

-Seth is on pace for 51 catches and 867 yards in a 15-game national championship season such as the one that we're in the process of having

-58-51= 7 and 910-867=43 and 7+43=50 and 50/2  (2 is the number of WRs we're talking about and also Cam Newton's jersey number while at Auburn)=25 and 25 is how many years ago sh** went down in the Swamp

I'm not sure we even need go through the trouble of actually playing this game TBQH. 

I was at the 2006 game I remember a lot of folks were in somewhat of a "Show Me" slump after the egg we layed against Arkansas the week prior ( I also attended the Arkansas game that year). there was one Florida fan sitting in front of me doing the gator chomp after we took the lead on the blocked punt I heard him say "we're still gonna win by double digits in the 4th yall better enjoy this lead!" then after the tray blackmon forced fumble that wasn't overturned he got up and headed for the exits and I heard him mumble "Not only was his arm going forward. but that Auburn guy was offsides!"

5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

The 63-14 curb stomping in 1970 was pretty good too.  That was in Gainesville. 

And that was their homecoming as well if I remember correctly. We were pissed that day

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Wonder what PBR’s tasted like back then? Had to be thicker than sorghum. 

I’m sure golf recalls this ad from 1911...golf, how’d you land that gig?

800px-Pabst_Blue_Ribbon_Ad_1911.jpg

The good times they were!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Howard Roark said:

Almost forgot -  the 1987 Halloween game.  Night game, 2 top 10 teams, and we blew out a rival.  It was Halloween night, so tons of parties after the game.  Great time to be a student. 

Wow Emmitt Smith and Andre Bruce!

Also gotta love the huge shoulder pads, neck pads, and wide goal posts!

Anyone else just bouncing off the friggin' walls this week? I am 100% ready for this game and it's Wednesday!

8 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

1983 on a gorgeous October day at Jordan Hare. Charlie Pell and Florida not enough for Auburn and Bo. Word was that Bo had no sleep the night before due to flu- like symptoms. Still produced an All America game. Dye said in later years that he had never been in another game with so much talent assembled on a field. Combined the two teams that day sent 40 plus players to careers in the NFL.

I second this one.

'83 was such a magical season...

7 hours ago, CR said:

Best- Nix to Sanders 1994.                                 
Worst- Kerwin Bell beats AU on one leg 1986. 18-17 gut wrenching loss.

Great rivalries have both types of games IMO

Went to the '86 game. Was at a Halloween party Friday night and a buddy said "wanna go to the game" and I said "yea, you?". Drove all night in our costumes. Was able to shower and change in their athletic dorm, my friend knew some of the athletes (not football). We snuck into the stadium and sat in the student section. Obviously we were happy for 3 quarters. We behaved while we were winning since we were in their student section so didn't get harassed in the end when we lost. Bad loss but good times 🙂

We went to a UF game in Jordan Hare that will be forever remembered as the "Roller Derby" game. I don't recall the exact year, but my husband says he thinks he remembers Tre Smith picking up a badly snapped ball and running it in for a touchdown to tie the game. (I looked it up on google and that was 2006). Anyways, it was late in the game and there was this very inebriated Auburn fan, dressed in orange and blue striped overalls and a very oversized inflatable helmet. He obviously didn't have a ticket in our section, because he kept getting booted out of everywhere he tried to sit. Eventually, someone called security. He was heading up the stairs and got to our row. My husband could see that security was looking for him, so he grabs the guy and has him sit down in the seat next to him. He kept saying, "Be cool, man." to get the guy to act normal. Security lost interest and the guy stayed next to my husband. He was hilarious. My husband started calling him "Roller Derby" because of the large helmet and the fact that he kept running into everyone (not on purpose!) When the Tre Smith play happened, Roller Derby literally picked my husband up and jumped up and down with him in his arms. It was funny and a little scary at the same time. We keep thinking about this guy and hoping he got home alright. It is forever known as the Roller Derby game and also the game that my daughter fell in love with Tre Smith.

Archived