We have a HUGE WR Usage Problem

Malcolm_FleX48

On 10/10/2019 at 3:28 PM, lca408 said:

Seems like he’s trying to “fit round peg into square hole” with personnel again. If Schwartz and Williams are your two best receivers and defenses will regularly scheme to try and take them out of the game, it makes sense to have them on the field at the same time. If he’s not doing that simply because “Schwartz is an X receiver same as Williams so they can’t be on the field at the same time” then he clearly has issues with letting go of his preconceived notions about his offense. I can understand not putting two QBs on the field for 50% of the plays, or possibly even RBs, but WRs? This is frustrating beyond measure. Think outside your Waffle House obsession box and mix up the personnel! 

I saw this post and I was going to post a response in the thread, but decided this warranted its own thread to discuss.

Gus acts as if we can't have 2 mold-breaking prototypes in at the same time. For what good our H-Back does for the run game, we might as well go 4 wide every time because it seems like Gus sends mixed signals. He wants a QB tailored for a passing offense but still uses formations that signal run 90% of the time and tries to pass out of them. He runs a Spread-To-Run type of power scheme but at the same time does not spread the field out near enough. He has running backs that bend edges well but consistently tries to run in the box. 

Data Consistently Shows: The Run Game is Significantly Improved Under a 4 WR Set.
image.png

Another Pro of running this offense is that it boosts recruiting tremendously for these positions. Having a 4-wide offense is very attractive to young pass catchers (WRs, TEs, & Receiving Backs). It makes it easier on you to find guys you can fit into your scheme because now you can stick that extra large WR that you have either at X if he is a true number one or make him the Jumbo slot where he doesn't HAVE to be as good of a blocker but can still bolster your run game and get some valuable catching yards to make him have a better chance at going to the next level. And lets face it, pass catching TEs are much easier to find than H-Backs. If someone is going to be recruited as an H-Back, then they will evaluate their options which means you have to convert a DL or RB to that position who won't really excel at what you need them to do. 

Running backs will like this because they get more green grass to run through and it simplifies their job a lot more. You can use any RB for this versus having to use a specific build of back. Big Backs will always have a chance to match up against smaller perimeter defenders, small backs can use their speed and break games open, and pass catching backs will benefit from not being keyed in on. 

If we would simply go 4 Wide and run our receiving personnel as such:

Outside WR 1: True X 
We keep Williams here because he does an excellent job in this position consistently. Allow him the deep shots on PA, let him run slants from the nub side or even in Trips. He can work well as a blocker to allow you to get your runners to the edge and hold it off even against very stout boundary corners. This is the one thing that doesn't need tweaking.

Slot WR 1: True Slot or Speed Slot
The True Slot still allows you to keep one WR in the game that can be a small separation-type possession receiver. This way you're not struggling if your deeper routes aren't free. Schwartz should also get time here because again, putting a speeding vertical threat in the slot is a nightmare for defenses that typically use their nickel corner for guys with better horizontal mobility rather than being the fastest guys. This also doesn't allow Big Nickel teams to keep their hybrid defender in the game because he can get exposed. Switch up as needed because it will give defenses fits trying to match up. Motion him, have him run sweeps, play w/ defenses with buck motions and pitches off the buck from here. Slots could be our biggest asset if we use them correctly. Can line a RB here as well for your speed slot and have him still run routes or assist as the pitch man.

Slot WR 2: Speed Slot or TE (Canella)
We would fix a lot of problems in the pass game. The speed slot receiver goes vertical or runs routes that stretch the field vertically natural giving him a higher probability of matching up w/ a safety or LB. Also provides a lot of versatility in terms of stressing a defense w/ various threats to go deep or block. Combine edge bends w/ crack blocks and you have worried DEs. (I know this from experience. Crack blocks are not nice & require special attention.)

Outside WR 2: True Z or Speed Slot or TE (Canella)
This position is your wildcard. Can literally be anyone you would like depending on match ups and strategy. Ideally a mix between possession and X receiver. I'd say this should really be your best receiver in typical personnel while the X is the most physically imposing. If you want, keep a TE out here and place real WRs in the slot to either pull a safety down, require an LB, or outmatch a smaller corner because the bigger corner will be on the X. If they drag an extra corner out to deal w/ TE and leave corners in the slots as well then you bolster the run significantly. 

This also gives the QB a nice tell on zone and man coverage based on personnel. 

Below, I drew up what a typical zone run could be. Notice the default is outside zone because I think the inside zone is trash unless you run a lot of single back and have maulers at Center and Guards. (Spoiler Alert: We Don't.)

This single play allows us to do what Auburn is known for: 

INCREASING THE NUMBER OF HANDS THAT CAN TOUCH THE BALL AT ANY GIVEN TIME WHILE WEARING A DEFENSE OUT WITH TEMPO.

It is better than the simple Jet sweep because the angle and option to pitch allows the QB to turn any play into a speed option if he so chooses which minimizes the damage from incorrect reads. The RB is able to get off-tackle in a hurry while looking for cutbacks and if the corner is playing off the X, then the QB can simply throw an RPO slant. You can also have the F (Slot 2) run a bubble screen off of this & possibly turn into a lead blocker if the QB pitches. Otherwise the Corner/LB/Safety has to respect this threat of a screen by following him or risk giving up a big play because the Z will have his man blocked on the edge. Meanwhile the H is also possibly coming behind as well. 

This offensive play can be ran w/ tempo, out of a sugar huddle, or any of the other gadgets that Gus likes to employ and there are so many variations that really you don't have to call a bunch of different run plays w/ personnel and formations like these because this one play gives the defense so much to think about alone. 

4 Wide & Spread to Run.

image.png

Let me know if I missed anything. And also, there are plenty of other things that can be added on to this play. Or you could break this play into separate pre-determined calls, but it works best if the QB has the ability to read and direct on their own. Also, running QB is best for this with a threat to be a good passer. 

Add Ons:

image.png

A versatile pass play w/ safety nets built in that stresses all natures of defense. 3 routes that go vertical in some manner to stress Cov2. (One of which is a opposite seam route.) Built in hot mesh by the X in case of blitz. Also a wheel route to replace the X's spot which forces LB (assuming they're in nickel and only use 2 LBs to first read the mesh and then have to get out on a wheel w/ a back with plenty of space to cover.) H runs a 10 Yd. Out which can be a safe throw in case of perfectly played Cov3. And Z goes Vertical to clear out space or provide a home run throw should DBs miss assign or get tangled up.

Another run play, this time out of a stacked look to the left. TE/Slot 2 is detached and in slot and can run a tunnel screen for QB to pitch after reading & choosing not to pull or hand off should the backside backer flow too aggressively. Or he can hand off if the playside backer gets stuck in mud at which point the TE or slot simply walls off that backer through the hole like a FB would allowing for a cutback should the center or guard & tackle cut their men off. QB has option to read edge defender & pull it should they crash the mesh at which he can look to throw the screen to the H (kind of a tricky throw if he pulls it but can be done.) Or he can throw the screen if he sees favorable leverage. Also has the option to hit the RPO slant depending on CB leverage on the Z. Just another basic run play that has many ways to make the defenders wrong regardless thanks to playing with 4 receivers all spread out. This play works because the extra spacing gives the QB more time to make reads than if they were lined up closer.

image.png

A few articles to corroborate this type are:

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2019/4/5/18295457/positionless-offense-and-the-21-spread-hybrids-spread-i

And this one which emphasizes QB Play. (The main reason why I feel the way I do about JG)

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/3/27/8299593/the-ultimate-spread-formation-offense-dual-threat-QB

Now, this offense would be the extreme version of the 21 spread that focuses on leaning out the TE more and replacing the extra back with a WR/RB Hybrid player or a TE/WR Hybrid. All would be flexed giving an ambiguity to all formations regardless.

I posted in another topic about having JG in on third and short or four and short situations.   I don’t believe it could be stopped as long as the plays are mixed up out of the same formations.  

I’ve played sports (all three in HS and one in college) and I’m completely at a loss on why someone that is paid so much money can’t comprehend on how to properly utilize the assets that they have.  

Really love reading other posters who know WAY more about Xs and Os than I do. (EDIT: It's a low bar, admittedly.) Keep it up, fellas.

In simple laywoman's terms, do I extrapolate correctly that obviously the more moving parts an offense has, the more difficult job any defense would have figuring it out? Annnnnd...the more playing time a variety of players gets, usually the better they get, side benefit increased morale? Asking for...myself. 😉🦋 

Great post Flex. While I don't understand all of the X's, and O's, I certainly understand the concept. Ironically, I was driving down the road thinking along this very line yesterday. We consistently have defenses stacking the box on us, and need to spread them out more. As I have stated before, Gus is long overdue at hiring a true passing game coordinator to instill some better concepts into the  offense. I have been highly critical of Gus for a few years now, but I generally like the man, and would love to see him succeed. The problem is as I see it other teams hire qualified experts, and Gus hires yes men, and recruiters. At least on the offensive side. Just my $.02

For what it matters... LOL

When NCAA was still a football video game I would run the 4WR spread flex and literally ran this philosophy of offense. There is so many options you can run out of this formation with a mobile QB and TE/HBack at big slot. Mesh option with QB/RB against a 4-5 man front isolates the run defense, but if they put in 5-6 in the box you run quick slant with speed slots. You can run Jet sweep or motion PA with speed slot to get the D thinking, combo deep posts or layers, drift TE into the backfield and run power or PA.

I know it's remedial when I talk about it compared to flex, but surely SOMEONE knows this on our 10 million dollar coaching staff?

and please... for the love of all things good and holy... after putting our best WR's on the field and spreading them out...

leave the same guy's on the field WITHOUT substituting and GO FAST!!!

Before Florida Gus was doing a lot more running out of the 4 wide this season.  If you are a big believer that Auburn’s plays are all predetermined it would make a lot more sense for Gus to have both Schwartz and Williams on the field as a form of smoke and mirrors.  This will probably be the next thing that Auburn starts doing regularly and everyone beats their head against the wall for not doing this sooner.  Bo will have to play better in big games for defenses not to load the box even against 4 wide formations.

One would think a 49 million dollar mind could figure this out as well. Instead, we get single wing whirlybird. One day this will all end, unless of course, it doesn’t. 

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

For what it matters... LOL

When NCAA was still a football video game I would run the 4WR spread flex and literally ran this philosophy of offense. There is so many options you can run out of this formation with a mobile QB and TE/HBack at big slot. Mesh option with QB/RB against a 4-5 man front isolates the run defense, but if they put in 5-6 in the box you run quick slant with speed slots. You can run Jet sweep or motion PA with speed slot to get the D thinking, combo deep posts or layers, drift TE into the backfield and run power or PA.

I know it's remedial when I talk about it compared to flex, but surely SOMEONE knows this on our 10 million dollar coaching staff?

Yeah, its a pretty "broken" strategy in that if you have trained your QB on the progression of the reads, then this personnel will literally make any call seem genius. For one thing, building options into your base run play is basically like having ready made play-action. Another point to notice is that EVERY player in the secondary is "busy" in so far as they can't simply sit back into their zone and watch for the run. They have to respect spacing in zone coverage and make sure they don't get beat to the edge. Meanwhile in man, it simply eliminates the issue of running against a loaded box altogether. Blitzes can come but they simply get picked apart by a pop-pass on the RPO. And if all else fails, your QB can chew up yards and keep the tired defense on the field and make them constantly keep up with ever-changing assignments and responsibilities while having to sprint out to the horizontal edges of the field. 

For a "System" coach like Gus, this would be an amazing benefit but he'd have to give up on some of his philosophy with the Wing-T elements and adapt to a modern day play-style. It would also mean chucking the inside zone runs to the wayside for the most part as this offensive personnel and strategy works on pinning defensive fronts inside the box and allowing the back(s) to get outside in a hurry.

45 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Before Florida Gus was doing a lot more running out of the 4 wide this season.  If you are a big believer that Auburn’s plays are all predetermined it would make a lot more sense for Gus to have both Schwartz and Williams on the field as a form of smoke and mirrors.  This will probably be the next thing that Auburn starts doing regularly and everyone beats their head against the wall for not doing this sooner.  Bo will have to play better in big games for defenses not to load the box even against 4 wide formations.

Right, but even with 4 wides Gus never really tailored what his WRs were doing on any given plays. It was a lot of chase-offs and having them block which is fine, but its really not optimal when your philosophy is supposed to be to make the defense wrong on every play. If its a 50/50 on whats going to happen and its predetermined, then a good DC and MLB will be able to flip that coin and be right. 

Now assume there are 4-5 different people who can get the ball on any given play and its subject to change based on how you react. Now there is a 20% chance to successfully diagnose pre-snap and even then the players on the offense have a chance to make you wrong. Heck with just the outside zone alone, if we have a good enough RB that can get LBs flowing in a direction quickly setting them up to get washed, one cutback is like death. And w/ 4 Wide spread out and having the possibility to get the ball in their hands in a moment's notice, the secondary can't afford to be too deep or they will give up chunk plays that keep the drive alive. This flattens them out and reduces the chances of them stopping a speedier back in a foot race because they're too far out and too close to the LOS. In essence, the core philosophy of spreading to run. 

1 hour ago, JGLEATON said:

and please... for the love of all things good and holy... after putting our best WR's on the field and spreading them out...

leave the same guy's on the field WITHOUT substituting and GO FAST!!!

Well we've tried to go fast, but a lot of times I think Gus has gotten too much into the practice of substituting and having sub-packages and different personnel groups. This builds a tendency for each group and makes you more predictable no matter how fast you go. If a defense has to only choose between 2-3 outcomes per package, their play speed will significantly increase. 

If every play requires them to play option football in the run game while respecting the RPO at the same time as well as a bubble screen outside, then suddenly you've got them processing a lot of information while contending with world-class speed athletes and on extended drives this makes it almost unnecessary to wait for a shot play. It also boosts redzone efficiency.

3 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

We have a huge HC problem...

If he is stuck in his ways then yes.

I'm not averse to Alabama so I can say for sure, Saban is the pinnacle of what a Head Coach should be. He has no problem adapting to the times, he has a specialty and stays in that specialty (DBs). He doesn't try to do more than he really can so you won't find him trying to micromanage and call the plays (I assume this is from Bill Bel. "Do your job"). And his team takes on different forms every year based on what they've got. 

Its a shame to say that Alabama is probably more modernized on offense than we are and they are the most-stubborn of schools as far as tradition goes. From a methodical ground and pound w/ a game manager at QB, they've turned into a Big-12 style spread with weapons all over the receiving corps, a do-it-all backfield and impressive Time of Possession/Scoring Ratio. 

You can't be a dinosaur in today's game of football and when you look at the other teams in the SEC, the one team that has changed the least is Auburn. Even LSU is an explosive offensive attack that has achieved balance if not 60/40 slant to the pass over the run now. 

Why haven't we?

Added 2 new sample plays to OP:

image.png

A versatile pass play w/ safety nets built in that stresses all natures of defense. 3 routes that go vertical in some manner to stress Cov2. (One of which is a opposite seam route.) Built in hot mesh by the X in case of blitz. Also a wheel route to replace the X's spot which forces LB (assuming they're in nickel and only use 2 LBs to first read the mesh and then have to get out on a wheel w/ a back with plenty of space to cover.) H runs a 10 Yd. Out which can be a safe throw in case of perfectly played Cov3. And Z goes Vertical to clear out space or provide a home run throw should DBs miss assign or get tangled up.

image.png

Another run play, this time out of a stacked look to the left. TE/Slot 2 is detached and in slot and can run a tunnel screen for QB to pitch after reading & choosing not to pull or hand off should the backside backer flow too aggressively. Or he can hand off if the playside backer gets stuck in mud at which point the TE or slot simply walls off that backer through the hole like a FB would allowing for a cutback should the center or guard & tackle cut their men off. QB has option to read edge defender & pull it should they crash the mesh at which he can look to throw the screen to the H (kind of a tricky throw if he pulls it but can be done.) Or he can throw the screen if he sees favorable leverage. Also has the option to hit the RPO slant depending on CB leverage on the Z. Just another basic run play that has many ways to make the defenders wrong regardless thanks to playing with 4 receivers all spread out. This play works because the extra spacing gives the QB more time to make reads than if they were lined up closer.

• WarTiger changed the title to We have a HUGE WR Usage Problem

Thank you Flex!  Great analysis. I have been saying this for five years.  You go much more in depth and strategize better than I ever could with it.  For the life of me, I don't understand how Gus can not see that his base offense is no longer viable.  

LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOOOVE THIS POST! Preaching to the mother freaking choir man! Honestly if you just look at our historical all time passing and receiving record book IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PUTRID!!!!!!!!! For a non service academy we have to have some of the worst all time numbers when it comes to QB and WR stats all time for a power 5 school. It is depressing. I mean only two 3k yard passers for a single season in our school HISTORY?!?! Same goes for a 1k yard wr???? Only two 1k yard WR in a single season in our looooooooooong history? Just yikes man. 

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOOOVE THIS POST! Preaching to the mother freaking choir man! Honestly if you just look at our historical all time passing and receiving record book IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PUTRID!!!!!!!!! For a non service academy we have to have some of the worst all time numbers when it comes to QB and WR stats all time for a power 5 school. It is depressing. I mean only two 3k yard passers for a single season in our school HISTORY?!?! Same goes for a 1k yard wr???? Only two 1k yard WR in a single season in our looooooooooong history? Just yikes man. 

Yeah, well that's going to be the deciding factor of Auburn's future success. Adapting and becoming a more prolific passing attack. 

3 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I like watching LSU’s offense. If only we had their play caller. 

Auburn actually DID have him awhile back, LOL!

Of course, he only had High Nall to work with then and now he has wunderkind Joe Brady.

45 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Auburn actually DID have him awhile back, LOL!

Of course, he only had High Nall to work with then and now he has wunderkind Joe Brady.

Funny how those things work. Yeah, even interim OC...

Archived