2004 Tigers - Best of All Time

AUght2win

To switch up the discussion a bit, let's talk about the 2004 Auburn football team.

Without question, they are the best AU team I've seen in my two decades of watching. When people talk about them, they often make it into a sad story. But I don't think this should be the narrative. Think about it. College football is an extremely broken system. It's the only sport on earth where not all participating teams are eligible to win the title. "National Championships" really don't mean anything other than beauty pageant crowns. There has never been a "national champion", and won't be until all of the nation's teams control their own destiny.  

So, the only concrete barometer we are left with are wins, losses, and dominance. The '04 team was perfect. We undervalue that feat SO much in college football. It's much more impressive than losing one or two and getting lucky enough to win it all. The team also boasted:

• Two running backs who went in the top five of the NFL draft. That will never happen again. Ever. 
  • Four wins over top ten opponents
  • Five future pro bowlers
  • SEC Offensive Player of the Year
  • Outscored opponents 417-147.
  • Gave up 20 points or more just twice.

Their games were seemingly never in doubt. Even against LSU and Virginia Tech, you just always had the sense that the team was going to find a way to win. 

I think they could, and should, absolutely be in the discussion for one of the best SEC teams of all-time. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

To switch up the discussion a bit, let's talk about the 2004 Auburn football team.

Without question, they are the best AU team I've seen in my two decades of watching. When people talk about them, they often make it into a sad story. But I don't think this should be the narrative. Think about it. College football is an extremely broken system. It's the only sport on earth where not all participating teams are eligible to win the title. "National Championships" really don't mean anything other than beauty pageant crowns. There has never been a "national champion", and won't be until all of the nation's teams control their own destiny.  

So, the only concrete barometer we are left with are wins, losses, and dominance. The '04 team was perfect. We undervalue that feat SO much in college football. It's much more impressive than losing one or two and getting lucky enough to win it all. The team also boasted:

• Two running backs who went in the top five of the NFL draft. That will never happen again. Ever. 

Their games were seemingly never in doubt. Even against LSU and Virginia Tech, you just always had the sense that the team was going to find a way to win. 

I think they could, and should, absolutely be in the discussion for one of the best SEC teams of all-time. 

I really, really wish Tennessee hadn't lost to Notre Dame. Just saying.

50 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I remember a Georgia fan on Dawgpost making a determined argument (with statistics to back it up), that the 2004 Tigers were the best team in SEC history. 

Needless to say, that was before the 2010 AU/UGA game. 😄

48 minutes ago, Tiger said:

The 2004 team was better than the 2010 one IMO

Absolutely. If they lined up 2004 would likely blow 2010 out. They would certainly score on the 2010 defense at will, and would hold Cam under 30 points. I think it'd be something like 45-24.

I just remember sitting down with a bourbon to watch the UT game that was in Knoxville that year and feeling a little queasy, remembering the horror of 2003 (took me awhile to get over the USC game from that year, lol). By halftime I was thinking “This team could play for a Natty”

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

They'll always be National Champions for that year in my mind. What an absolute dominant team. It most definitely has to be in the top 10 all time teams.

I was blessed to attend every home game and SEC championship AND Sugar Bowl. Great memories of a Great TEAM. 

Four wins over 10 win teams too. Would have been 5 but Saban blew his bowl game as he was leaving LSU for the Dolphins. 

That was a complete football team. 

It’s one that should be claimed as a national championship in my book.   The eventual champions were stripped of that title and Auburn was voted in several polls as number 1.  

I'm not disagreeing but the '93 team was pretty dang magical too.  Head to head, it would be a toss up IMO.

Nope. The '83 team. Those last five games. Plus number 17 FSU and stomping Tennessee when it meant something to beat them. Texas only loss that season was to uga in the Cotton bowl. Georgia's only loss was to Auburn

1 Sep 10, 1983 Sat (4) Auburn   Southern Mississippi Ind W 24 3 1 0 0 W 1  
2 Sep 17, 1983 Sat (5) Auburn   (3) Texas SWC L 7 20 1 1 0 L 1  
3 Sep 24, 1983 Sat (11) Auburn @ Tennessee SEC W 37 14 2 1 0 W 1  
4 Oct 1, 1983 Sat (10) Auburn   (17) Florida State Ind W 27 24 3 1 0 W 2  
5 Oct 8, 1983 Sat (7) Auburn @ Kentucky SEC W 49 21 4 1 0 W 3  
6 Oct 15, 1983 Sat (5) Auburn @ Georgia Tech ACC W 31 13 5 1 0 W 4  
7 Oct 22, 1983 Sat (5) Auburn   Mississippi State SEC W 28 13 6 1 0 W 5  
8 Oct 29, 1983 Sat (4) Auburn   (5) Florida SEC W 28 21 7 1 0 W 6  
9 Nov 5, 1983 Sat (3) Auburn   (7) Maryland ACC W 35 23 8 1 0 W 7  
10 Nov 12, 1983 Sat (3) Auburn @ (4) Georgia SEC W 13 7 9 1 0 W 8  
11 Dec 3, 1983 Sat (3) Auburn N (19) Alabama SEC W 23 20 10 1 0 W 9 Birmingham, AL
12 Jan 2, 1984 Mon (3) Auburn N (8) Michigan Big Ten W 9 7 11 1 0 W 10 Sugar Bowl (Sugar Bowl (New Orleans, LA))

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm not disagreeing but the '93 team was pretty dang magical too.  Head to head, it would be a toss up IMO.

That's your difference.  93 was magical.  2004 was flat out dominant.  2004 had way more talent and would drill both the 93 and 2010 teams IMO.  Only AU team in the last 40 years that would have a chance is 1983.

44 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

That's your difference.  93 was magical.  2004 was flat out dominant.  2004 had way more talent and would drill both the 93 and 2010 teams IMO.  Only AU team in the last 40 years that would have a chance is 1983.

The ‘88 defense was so good that I would give them a chance

Despite being shunned for the NC, it will take a lot to match the enjoyment I felt watching Auburn football that year; and that includes 2010, when I was a student at Auburn. What a special team.

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

First off....Thank you for creating this thread. I love it and I love trying to get our minds to something good.

2004 is definitely the GOAT for me. I have not seen a more complete team in the SEC in my lifetime. JMHO.

I believe if 04 squared off against 10...it would be a route. Cam would be Cam and he would get 20 points, but not much more....and the 04 Offense with Jason, Ronnie and Lac with the great WR corps and OL would score at will against that 10 Defense. The game would look worse than the score indicates.

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

It’s one that should be claimed as a national championship in my book.   The eventual champions were stripped of that title and Auburn was voted in several polls as number 1.  

I agree....but I also like how we didn't "bama" and claim a mythological Title....and just branded it "The Perfect Season". 

8 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Nope. The '83 team. Those last five games. Plus number 17 FSU and stomping Tennessee when it meant something to beat them. Texas only loss that season was to uga in the Cotton bowl. Georgia's only loss was to Auburn

1 Sep 10, 1983 Sat (4) Auburn   Southern Mississippi Ind W 24 3 1 0 0 W 1  
2 Sep 17, 1983 Sat (5) Auburn   (3) Texas SWC L 7 20 1 1 0 L 1  
3 Sep 24, 1983 Sat (11) Auburn @ Tennessee SEC W 37 14 2 1 0 W 1  
4 Oct 1, 1983 Sat (10) Auburn   (17) Florida State Ind W 27 24 3 1 0 W 2  
5 Oct 8, 1983 Sat (7) Auburn @ Kentucky SEC W 49 21 4 1 0 W 3  
6 Oct 15, 1983 Sat (5) Auburn @ Georgia Tech ACC W 31 13 5 1 0 W 4  
7 Oct 22, 1983 Sat (5) Auburn   Mississippi State SEC W 28 13 6 1 0 W 5  
8 Oct 29, 1983 Sat (4) Auburn   (5) Florida SEC W 28 21 7 1 0 W 6  
9 Nov 5, 1983 Sat (3) Auburn   (7) Maryland ACC W 35 23 8 1 0 W 7  
10 Nov 12, 1983 Sat (3) Auburn @ (4) Georgia SEC W 13 7 9 1 0 W 8  
11 Dec 3, 1983 Sat (3) Auburn N (19) Alabama SEC W 23 20 10 1 0 W 9 Birmingham, AL
12 Jan 2, 1984 Mon (3) Auburn N (8) Michigan Big Ten W 9 7 11 1 0 W 10 Sugar Bowl (Sugar Bowl (New Orleans, LA))

'83 was a great team. But 2004 was clearly better. They were winners, plain and simple. Even if you put a pro team out there against 'em, I would feel pretty confident. They were just mature, driven men that knew they were going to win before each kickoff. 

5 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I agree....but I also like how we didn't "bama" and claim a mythological Title....and just branded it "The Perfect Season". 

They are all mythological. None of them truly count.

8 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

First off....Thank you for creating this thread. I love it and I love trying to get our minds to something good.

2004 is definitely the GOAT for me. I have not seen a more complete team in the SEC in my lifetime. JMHO.

I believe if 04 squared off against 10...it would be a route. Cam would be Cam and he would get 20 points, but not much more....and the 04 Offense with Jason, Ronnie and Lac with the great WR corps and OL would score at will against that 10 Defense. The game would look worse than the score indicates.

Though 04 was more complete, I'm not sure they would dominate 2010. 2010 had a great run defense and noone 2004 team played was anywhere close the offense force of nature Cam was. He wouldve given the 85 Bears defense trouble. Lol. I think wouldve been a great game. 

I attended almost every game that year. Other than lsu and va tech the games were nearly sealed at halftime. The just crushed people in the first half and then tubby shut it down. Had he gone for the kill in the 2nd half more the 04 might be considered one of the best all time. 

21 minutes ago, Butthead said:

. Had he gone for the kill in the 2nd half more 

And we wouldn't have been left out, IMO

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And we wouldn't have been left out, IMO

Spurrier coaching that team would have had us playing for a Natty. He crushed people without apology.

Archived