When will it happen?

AUwent

When will it happen?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. I think we will make a head coaching change on December 2, ...

• Past that...oh god.

22 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

From discussions with some people out here it would appear to work in this manner if Gus keeps the same path.

They would have given him 2 full recruiting classes and he went backwards. That is a positive for other coaches.

He has more losses to rivals which is a bad thing, and makes his record against ranked programs (most likely) dip negative more. Coaches understand that and the importance of those games. So the more of those he loses the more they side with his removal and the want for a change.

The PTB considered the schedule and gave him a year to make changes, let his qb grow up, and address needs for 2020. Another positive for potential coaches. They know he was given the chance to do it his way this year and him failing again his way or not making changes will be seen.

Due to these things other coaches will see the fanbase/PTB being more receptive even if they aren't a Saban/Myer/Cristobal etc. Other coaches will have more confidence in the time they are given to develop and produce, longer honeymoon.

Essential one more year of Gus not producing at a high level can make the job more attractive for potential candidates and increase Auburn's chance of landing the one it wants.

Lol, and the tamale recipe is family secret only passed on to the married woman! Even my girlfriend does not know what it is.

Thank you for providing a glimmer of hope. Would we do it next year before 12/31?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Thank you for providing a glimmer of hope. Would we do it next year before 12/31?

I really do think it COULD happen this year if we lose to Bama. It almost did last year and he was on more stable ground back then.The power brokers tried to get him out last year. Leach blocked it.  He is obviously gone. It may seem like it won't happen but I bet the movers and shakers try it again. Will it work? If we lose to Bama we are going to find out.

Did not know where to post this so just decided on this space. WOOOOOOO!!!!! BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I really do think it could easily happen this year if we lose to Bama. It almost did last year and he was on more stable ground back then.The power brokers tried to get him out last year. Leach blocked it.  He is obviously gone. It may seem like it won't happen but I bet the movers and shakers try it again. Will it work? If we lose to Bama we are going to find out.

If its bad tomorrow it's gonna get really interesting. I'm like you, it was close last year and it's been more of the same this year. Certain parties will feel emboldened if it's a 31-10 type game. 

Just now, WalkingCarpet said:

If its bad tomorrow it's gonna get really interesting. I'm like you, it was close last year and it's been more of the same this year. Certain parties will feel emboldened if it's a 31-10 type game. 

Will it even take a bad loss? Mac Jones was a 3 star QB recruit out of high school. I know Bama has the best WR unit in the country but from Tua who is still most likely going to be a top 10 NFL Draft pick to Mac Freaking Jones AND WE LOSE?! I do not think keep it close Gus can hang his hat on that anymore! lol...... BUT YES If he goes to 2-5 vs Bama and loses to Georgia and Bama at home with the best defense in the country? The people who have wanted Gus gone for seeeeeeeeveral years may finally make their move and the Gus backers or just the people who are buy out hesitant may finally relent.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

the Gus backers or just the people who are buy out hesitant may finally relent.

I dont get the feeling there are really any "Gus Backers" left at AU. It seems like the "Replace Gus" and the" Costs too much to replace Gus" are the only groups left? It just seems like he doesnt have a real strong base that backs him based on his performance, they just think it is too expensive to replace him.

2 minutes ago, CR said:

I dont get the feeling there are really any "Gus Backers" left at AU. It seems like the "Replace Gus" and the" Costs too much to replace Gus" are the only groups left? It just seems like he doesnt have a real strong base that backs him based on his performance, they just think it is too expensive to replace him.

I think you are most likely right. I guess the buyout hesitant people get labeled sometimes as being Gus supporters.  If they have no true feelings to keep Gus other than financially they are more likely to relent depending on how big the push is.

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

BUT YES If he goes to 2-5 vs Bama and loses to Georgia and Bama at home with the best defense in the country? The people who have wanted Gus gone for seeeeeeeeveral years may finally make their move and the Gus backers or just the people who are buy out hesitant may finally relent.

Agree, and perhaps an even uglier number for me will be a 4-4 SEC record if we lose. That’s hard to justify with this roster. 

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Agree, and perhaps an even uglier number for me will be a 4-4 SEC record if we lose. That’s hard to justify with this roster. 

SMH. WOW. That would be what the 5th time in his tenure where we do not have a winning SEC record? 

4 hours ago, AUwent said:

So you think next year it’s possible?

Since 2022 (before 12/31) the buyout will be slightly less than what FSU paid (or was supposed to pay) Taggart, I see that being the very latest.

With the dominoes that could fall the buyout won’t be a factor if the dominoes fall against his way.

4 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Unless he gets an offer this year too good for him to pass up...for whatever reasons known only to him

Nope.

4 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Just curious... if the buyout doesn't become that more manageable until years after 2020...how can we be assured that it's only for one more year? Is the 2020 schedule (still lame to me as our biggest rival games are away next year) that much of a "rationale" to the PTB to wait past 2019

We can’t be assured but if the other dominoes fall against his way it could very well be a tipping point and the number of years left won’t matter. Sorry I can’t see more than that.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Bama could destroy us tomorrow and Gus still would be here for another year at least because of the buy out. As I’ve told others Leath pretty much took a dump on our football program with Gus’s contract before leaving.

That crazy buyout creates some major financial stress and the monies could go a long way in improving/upgrading a number of our other programs such as baseball, softball, women's BB and VB. In some of those sports we need support for facilities and in others we need to look at possible coach upgrades. I realize football is a major income generator but to pay the buyout at this point and then hire new staff would seem to be a major strain on support for our other programs. Too easy to talk about paying that kind of money when it is not being extracted from your own bank account.

13 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

That crazy buyout creates some major financial stress and the monies could go a long way in improving/upgrading a number of our other programs such as baseball, softball, women's BB and VB. In some of those sports we need support for facilities and in others we need to look at possible coach upgrades. I realize football is a major income generator but to pay the buyout at this point and then hire new staff would seem to be a major strain on support for our other programs. Too easy to talk about paying that kind of money when it is not being extracted from your own bank account.

Sadly, it was too easy to engineer the buyout for this same reason. I almost can't believe the original BOT perps are still around to do more damage, and I take comfort in the moving on of the majors.

(I've either grown super-cynical or my righteous anger is on overload. Going with #2. Know I've got plenty of company.)

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Bama could destroy us tomorrow and Gus still would be here for another year at least because of the buy out. As I’ve told others Leath pretty much took a dump on our football program with Gus’s contract before leaving.

Yep.  That contract has been the slow blade that's killing us. 

Without it, we could park the Gus Bus for good tomorrow and begin celebrating the dawn of Auburn's Chip Kelly Era...   

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We are a attractive job because coaches are not blind. They know this is a top 10 job.  We have a great recruiting base. This team has a ton of talent. And we gave Gus 7 years. That is a ton of time in modern football. 

Auburn actually ranks outside of the top 10 according to many polls. Usually around 13-15.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Ranking-college-footballs-best-jobs-2019-Alabama-Ohio-State-Texas-Georgia-Oklahoma-LSU-Clemson-133938017/#133938017_1

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-coaching-jobs-2019

As you can see many consider Oregon for instance to be right there with Auburn in terms of attractiveness. Not all coaches consider Auburn to be a top 10 job.Top 15 though for sure.

Anyway it is just discussions with some friends that have connections still in D1 and friends actually coaching of why Auburn would wait one year to fire Gus and the benefits. If you like it that's cool, if not that is cool. These guys did play at top 10 programs and with or for coaches Auburn would want.

6 hours ago, AUwent said:

This is just a from a discussion with some guys I know out here that played D1 at major programs and have connections. None of it is inside Auburn stuff from Auburn people.

Just things they have heard or the type of considerations coaches (be it head/position/etc) think of if approached or think about Auburn as a job.

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

So buyout money is an issue now? Looks like our famous bad duo in the forum were right 

Not necessarily. October 22nd 2019 article, but just read today. 

"However, the Tigers Unlimited Foundation, a legally separate 501(c)(3) organization that serves as the fundraising arm of the Auburn athletics department, reported more than $22 million in unrestricted assets in 2018 — signaling that the department would, theoretically, have enough cash at its disposal to cover the initial payment required by Malzahn's buyout, should Auburn choose to go that route..."

"At any point in time, if they need and want to find the money to make a change, they can do it," Chizik added.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/385304500

Some more bad news is that Gus will have brought in 2 decent Oline recruiting classes the past two years.  This year is a little Juco heavy but that may not be a terrible thing considering how 2015-17 went.  If he can do it again next year Oline depth may start looking ok going forward.  He’s also brought in two straight solid RB classes.  With Bo’s maturation Auburn May start having a two headed offense again.  Add Steele’s defense and Auburn May turn into a pretty good team.  

32 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Auburn actually ranks outside of the top 10 according to many polls. Usually around 13-15.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Ranking-college-footballs-best-jobs-2019-Alabama-Ohio-State-Texas-Georgia-Oklahoma-LSU-Clemson-133938017/#133938017_1

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-coaching-jobs-2019

As you can see many consider Oregon for instance to be right there with Auburn in terms of attractiveness. Not all coaches consider Auburn to be a top 10 job.Top 15 though for sure.

Anyway it is just discussions with some friends that have connections still in D1 and friends actually coaching of why Auburn would wait one year to fire Gus and the benefits. If you like it that's cool, if not that is cool. These guys did play at top 10 programs and with or for coaches Auburn would want.

I mean yah technically auburn is a top 12 job all time based on the numbers. Writing top 12 Everytime feels weird so I am rounding up. But we have strong top 10 upside. All of our coaches since dye has basically been the same caliber coach just in different forms. Average to slightly above average depending on the coach. And all were undefeated or won a title of some sorts. Some did both. It was by total accident. This program has a great foundation and is the biggest sleeping giant in the sport. We just need our Bruce Pearl to get us to consistent greatness. Just got to get lucky one time. That's all it takes.

I don't think oregon is a good job at all. Weak recruiting base and region. Even weaker home state for crutin. New money. They never even had a 10 win season till after the turn of the new millennium! Haha it was basically South Carolina before Mike bellotti and chip Kelly.

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Some more bad news is that Gus will have brought in 2 decent Oline recruiting classes the past two years.  This year is a little Juco heavy but that may not be a terrible thing considering how 2015-17 went.  If he can do it again next year Oline depth may start looking ok going forward.  He’s also brought in two straight solid RB classes.  With Bo’s maturation Auburn May start having a two headed offense again.  Add Steele’s defense and Auburn May turn into a pretty good team.  

Let's call a spade a spade. Recruiting is probably the thing Gus does best but OL crutin def is not part of that. He is getting all these juco guys because the really good to elite high school kids are all turning us down and have been for years.

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think you are most likely right. I guess the buyout hesitant people get labeled sometimes as being Gus supporters.  If they have no true feelings to keep Gus other than financially they are more likely to relent depending on how big the push is.

I'm on the money side. Which is why I am starting to like an idea of Steele. This discussion went down also with my friends.

Figure Steele takes the HC at a slight pay increase, the 3.4 or whatever is kind of the entry HC deal. Then Auburn does what it does and pays handsome to the assistants.

This becomes attractive to a top notch aspiring OC if Steele let's him do what he wants. So the OC comes in and say he turns the offense around and it looks sharp, prepared, and is a machine. Figure at Steele's age he stays maybe 4-5 years if even that. So when Steele resigns (this is if things are going good) who is Auburn gonna turn to? That sharp OC is gonna be on top of the list for the HC job.

Then it is like Riley at OU or Day at OSU. It is still his players, his culture, etc and it is already installed. You then also got your younger head coach, already involved in sustaining the program, and could be set for years.

27 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Not necessarily. October 22nd 2019 article, but just read today. 

"However, the Tigers Unlimited Foundation, a legally separate 501(c)(3) organization that serves as the fundraising arm of the Auburn athletics department, reported more than $22 million in unrestricted assets in 2018 — signaling that the department would, theoretically, have enough cash at its disposal to cover the initial payment required by Malzahn's buyout, should Auburn choose to go that route..."

"At any point in time, if they need and want to find the money to make a change, they can do it," Chizik added.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/385304500

Well isn’t that fundraising for all of Auburn athletics? And it would cover the Initial payment, whatever that may be. Would our power brokers be willing to do that? I thought a couple of influential people who pushed for Malzahn would cover a huge chunk of it. We will see how it all plays out. If we get blown out by Bama

and he is still here, that is all I need to know. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well isn’t that fundraising for all of Auburn athletics? And it would cover the Initial payment, whatever that may be. Would our power brokers be willing to do that? I thought a couple of influential people who pushed for Malzahn would cover a huge chunk of it. We will see how it all plays out. If we get blown out by Bama

and he is still here, that is all I need to know. 

All eyes are on that for sure...including potential landing spots' for CGM...

susan-bryant-quote-the-prevailing-opinion-is-we-will-prevail-its-just.jpg

Archived