No 2020 Capital City Classic

Kind of a bummer.....I was thinking about going in 2020.   ☹️

By WSFA Staff | October 4, 2019 at 11:44 AM CDT - Updated October 4 at 11:44 AM

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WSFA) - The 2020 edition of the Max Capital City Classic has been canceled, according to the Montgomery Biscuits.

Biscuits General Manager Mike Murphy said a scheduling conflict with the Auburn and Alabama baseball teams was to blame.

In trying to schedule the annual matchup, organizers found that it was scheduled for the same week the Tide and Tigers were set to play each other during their SEC Schedule.

The Biscuits weren’t able to find another date that fit everyone’s schedule outside of that week, Murphy said.

2019 marked the 11th meeting of the teams on the diamond in Montgomery when a record crowd of 7,896 fans came out to watch the Tide snap a 4-straight loss skid in the series. The Tide won 6-3 over the Tigers, but the Tigers hold the upper hand with 9 of the 11 series wins.

While the teams won’t meet at Riverwalk Stadium in 2020, it shouldn’t be an end to the annual Iron Bowl of baseball in Montgomery. The Biscuits are working with both teams to secure dates for the game in future years.

https://www.wsfa.com/2019/10/04/capital-city-classic-canceled-over-scheduling-issues/

17 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Weird you would think these dates would have been worked out way in advance but who knows

Not blaming one side for the other but JMO....someone did not want this game to happen.  

From the OP: " In trying to schedule the annual matchup, organizers found that it was scheduled for the same week the Tide and Tigers were set to play each other during their SEC Schedule."

Well, that's probably not ideal but I see no reason why it should be a deal breaker. As noted above, someone didn't want this game to happen.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

From the OP: " In trying to schedule the annual matchup, organizers found that it was scheduled for the same week the Tide and Tigers were set to play each other during their SEC Schedule."

Well, that's probably not ideal but I see no reason why it should be a deal breaker. As noted above, someone didn't want this game to happen.

Both teams probably play a dozen inconsequential games early in the season.    more important to play Oakland or Illinois-Chicago...and bama could not give up Harvard or Northeastern. 

BUT  it was not a conference game and essentially was for nothing but "bragging rights" which is probably only important to fans...not the coaches. 

This game had developed into a popular thing in Montgomery. What, north of 7,000 fans attended last year? It was worth getting it worked out and could have been worked out if all concerned wanted to play the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Clemson and Carolina do something interesting with their series (non-conference so that helps). They play the first game at Columbia/Clemson, the second game at Flour Field in downtown Greenville (Home of the Greenville Drive) and the third game at Clemson/Columbia. 

• 1 month later...

I'm not buying the article for 1 second. The game has always been on a Tuesday. I found a Tuesday good for all 3 teams. April 28th. AU & Bama aren't playing & Montgomery is on the road.

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

I'm not buying the article for 1 second. The game has always been on a Tuesday. I found a Tuesday good for all 3 teams. April 28th. AU & Bama aren't playing & Montgomery is on the road.

I think bammer is just tired of losing most of them...lol

I know it wouldn't be in the Capital City but would be great to see a game played at Rickwood Field. I love the feeling of that old park. 

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

I know it wouldn't be in the Capital City but would be great to see a game played at Rickwood Field. I love the feeling of that old park. 

I do too. And I have lots of childhood memories there. But the crowd would be tipped to the bammer side......

12 hours ago, gr82be said:

What city?

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

What city?

Birmingham. Oldest baseball stadium at this point. If you ever get a chance to go see it you should. I think they still do tours. I believe some of the Ty Cobb movie was filmed there. I saw some games there as a kid. Then saw Bo when he was with the Chicks. 

I saw Reggie Jackson and many of the others who would go on to the world champion A's. In the late 60's and early 70's the Birmingham Barons were the A's 2A farm team. Too many to name that passed through Rickwood Field ended up as World Series champs with the Oakland A's.

23 hours ago, Mikey said:

I saw Reggie Jackson and many of the others who would go on to the world champion A's. In the late 60's and early 70's the Birmingham Barons were the A's 2A farm team. Too many to name that passed through Rickwood Field ended up as World Series champs with the Oakland A's.

I did too Mikey! 

Paterson Field is still around isn't it? The core group of future stars for the 1984 World Series Champ Detroit Tigers played there (Jack Morris, Dan Petry, Alan Trammell, Lou Whitaker, Lance Parrish). Kirk Gibson skipped Montgomery. He jumped from A to the Tigers, back down to AAA, then back to the bigs for good.

Archived