Auburn begins its preparations for 2020

aubiefifty

Auburn begins its preparations for 2020

Posted Dec 15, 2019

3-4 minutes

Auburn will ring in the New Year with the Outback Bowl. It’s focused on starting 2020 off with a win, but it’s also preparing for the 2020 season, which will start nine months and four days later with the game against Alcorn State.

In their first bowl practice, the Tigers focused on the returning players, especially the younger ones. They took the seniors out to see what the remaining squad looks like. There are 23 seniors on the Auburn roster who will be graduating. That does not include any juniors who will leave early for the NFL Draft.

“(We) really kind of looked at ‘this will be next year’ and started out with that,” coach Gus Malzahn said after the first bowl practice.

Graduation affects the offensive line the most. Until sophomore Nick Brahms was put in for Kaleb Kim at center, the entire line consisted of seniors. Next season, Brahms will be the only returning starter.

“That group got extra work today,” Malzahn said. “And they’ll continue to do that this whole week, thinking about next year and kind of gelling and getting reps versus the defense.”

Sophomore tackles Brodarious Hamm and Austin Troxell are getting better, Malzahn said. Hamm has had reps as a reserve tackle, and Troxell has been rehabbing a torn ACL. Auburn also has six linemen committed who will fill some of the gaps.

The defensive backs will also be hit hard. They will lose three of their five starters in Daniel Thomas, Javaris Davis and Jeremiah Dinson. Dinson and Thomas led the team in tackles. Sophomore Christian Tutt and junior Noah Igbinoghene will remain. The two are also the special teams’ starting returners.

Half of the defensive line will stay and half will go, but the half to go is the better half. Marlon Davidson and Derrick Brown took home seven of the SEC defensive linemen of the week awards and will declare for the NFL Draft after graduation. Juniors Tyrone Truesdell and Big Kat Bryant have played a big part in Auburn’s defensive success, but Davidson and Brown were the leaders.

Only the wide receivers, running backs, linebackers and quarterbacks will retain the majority of their starters next season.

After they got a good look at what next year’s team will be, the Tigers then focused in on the freshmen, Malzahn said. There are 47 freshmen and redshirt freshmen currently on the team. Malzahn said they will need all those who redshirted the 2019 season to step up and contribute. Quarterback Bo Nix and linebacker Owen Pappoe were the only true freshmen to regularly start. Running back D.J. Williams started only while sophomore Boobee Whitlow was injured.

The Tigers scrimmaged with the freshmen and with some of the older players who didn’t get much playing time.

“Just trying to get a head start on next year,” Malzahn said.

the paragraph below was taken from a different article that basically said the same thing as this one other than thanking dilly.

Morris spent time working with Bo Nix and Auburn’s quarterbacks on Sunday, but he was largely a spectator as he made the rounds trying to get acclimated and familiarize himself with his new team. His role for the Outback Bowl will be similar to the one Dillingham had during the Liberty Bowl last season. He’ll help Malzahn and the offensive staff some with the gameplan, and he’ll be Malzahn’s eyes in the sky from the pressbox on gameday against Minnesota on New Year’s Day, but Malzahn will maintain control of the play-calling — at least for now, as Morris gets adjusted to his new program and a new dynamic with his longtime friend and confidant, Malzahn.

"Auburn will ring in the New Year with the Outback Bowl. It’s focused on starting 2020 off with a win, but it’s also preparing for the 2020 season, which will start nine months and four days later with the game against Alcorn State. "

So glad we are preparing for Alcorn State 9 months ahead of that game.

Geez.

It'll be interesting to see who steps up in the secondary to fill the vacuum left by Dinson. As great as his play was this year, his leadership was even better. I think it'll either be Tutt or Sherwood.

8 hours ago, AURex said:

"Auburn will ring in the New Year with the Outback Bowl. It’s focused on starting 2020 off with a win, but it’s also preparing for the 2020 season, which will start nine months and four days later with the game against Alcorn State. "

Geez.

Trap game. Gotta be prepared. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

It'll be interesting to see who steps up in the secondary to fill the vacuum left by Dinson. As great as his play was this year, his leadership was even better. I think it'll either be Tutt or Sherwood.

Man I’m sad to see some guys go but excited to see guys like Smoke, Sherwood, and Tutt get to step up!

Reps in practice for the younger players could mean more reps in the bowl game. That means they are that much more prepared for next season. No one is gameplanning Alcorn St. Everyone wants the backups to be ready but you have to let them practice and play. 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Man I’m sad to see some guys go but excited to see guys like Smoke, Sherwood, and Tutt get to step up!

If Noah come back he could be one of the leaders, but it's hard to be a field general from the corner position.  Sherwood seems more cerebral compared to Smoke. That's not a hit on Smoke, he has a very necessary role in this D

Interesting how it seems there is much less concern about next year's O line than earlier this year.  Presumably that is still our greatest potential weakness - or at least unknown?

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

If Noah come back he could be one of the leaders, but it's hard to be a field general from the corner position.  Sherwood seems more cerebral compared to Smoke. That's not a hit on Smoke, he has a very necessary role in this D

Sherwood - The Don / Producer

Smoke - The Enforcer / Hype Man

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Exactly or as with the Corleone's Michael vs Sonny

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

ICYMI 

Just now, bigbird said:

I seem to have heard that somewhere

Believe we have a defensive coach on the site who has been saying this for awhile... think he’s a Mod

7 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Believe we have a defensive coach on the site who has been saying this for awhile... think he’s a Mod

Nah, that guy is FoS

Just ask @augolf1716

On 12/17/2019 at 7:38 PM, AUwent said:

Really hope Big Kat stays. Would be huge.

Only way he leaves is if he transfers.

On 12/17/2019 at 12:30 PM, Zeek said:

I am really excited about both of these guys,  my only worry is their overall speed.   They were exposed against bama’s elite wr speed.   We were getting blown by on seemingly good angles.  Tutt too. 

On 12/16/2019 at 10:36 PM, AURex said:

Geez.

You need to work on reading comprehension. 

11 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

I am really excited about both of these guys,  my only worry is their overall speed.   They were exposed against bama’s elite wr speed.   We were getting blown by on seemingly good angles.  Tutt too. 

bama's receivers did that to everyone. People were saying early in the season that Tua had the easiest job and most inflated numbers in football because all he had to score a 70 yrd touchdown is throw a 7 yd slant. 

You might be right about their speed but bama is a tricky gauge. 

11 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Not sure if there is a secondary in CFB who can run with Bama’s WR corps. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Not sure if there is a secondary in CFB who can run with Bama’s WR corps. 

I doubt it. That receiving core was recruited just for Tua, who is a very good QB. Bama may have been on Ross' (Clemson) and others list but the priority was special speed. The only way to defend that is make a hard legal tackle that results in a physical issue for the receiver. 

Any updates on practices?  Auburn still going with 2020 Oline rotation?   I’d keep the starters out(sans Brahams) till you start game week prep.  They should know what to do by now.  I know there’ll be some reshuffling once all the new guys get on campus but It’d be good to throw those guys to the fire for the time being.  Also will MAR be able to play in the bowl?

On 12/16/2019 at 11:36 PM, AURex said:

Geez.

This isn't the Alcorn State that we're used to seeing.

Archived