Oline Coach Possibles with Backgrounds

toddc

Hope this isn’t a duplicate post! If so I’ll delete.

Potential offensive line coach candidates

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn is on the lookout for a new offensive line coach for the third time in five years.

J.B. Grimes stepped down as the Tigers' offensive line coach Tuesday, ending his second stint with the Tigers after two seasons back on the Plains. The new offensive line coach will take over a unit returning only one starter. The Tigers will be in rebuilding mode in the trenches, where the Tigers expect to sign three junior college offensive linemen and up to seven offensive linemen total.

There are plenty of candidates for Gus Malzahn to consider, but will he stay close to home and hire a former member of the Auburn family? There is certainly not a shortage of options as former Auburn players and coaches are on the rise across the country.Let's take a look at some potential candidates identified byBrandon Marcello 

Dustin Fry, former Arkansas offensive line coach Spent the last five seasons with Chad Morris at SMU and Arkansas as the offensive line coach. A former player at Clemson and a first-team All-ACC center, Fry played two seasons with the St. Louis Rams and also spent time with Cleveland, Denver and Carolina before getting into coaching as a grad assistant at Clemson from 2012-14. During that time he worked as a player development coach with the offensive line for the Tigers. Moving to SMU in 2015, Fry helped turn the Mustangs around with the offensive line a big part of the success with a pair of 1,000-yard rushers and an offense that threw for over 3,000 yards and ran for over 2,000 yards. 
Harry Hiestand, former Chicago Bears offensive line coach One of the most accomplished offensive line coaches in the country, Hiestand has coached a who’s who of top players at the position including names such as Mike McGlinchey, Ronnie Stanley, Zack Martin, Nick Martin and Quentin Nelson at Notre Dame, Juwan James at Tennessee, David Diehl at Illinois and also Pro Bowl selections Ruben Brown and Olin Kreutz with the Chicago Bears.A veteran of more than 35 years, Hiestand has coached at Notre Dame, Tennessee, Missouri USC, Illinois and in the NFL.He was recently with the Chicago Bears last season before being let go following an 8-8 season. 
Kendall Simmons, Auburn analyst Kendall Simmons is already on campus and is familiar with the Tigers’ roster. He joined the Tigers’ staff as an analyst last season. Simmons was a two-time All-SEC player at Auburn and a two-time Super Bowl champion. He played at Auburn from 1997 through 2001 and spent six seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, who selected him in the first round of the 2002 NFL Draft. He retired from the NFL following the 2009 season.

Ryan Pugh, Troy offensive coordinator/offensive line coach

Ryan Pugh just makes too much sense, right? The Troy offensive coordinator and offensive line coach is ready to jump to the SEC after previously coaching at BYU and serving as a graduate assistant at Auburn, Virginia Tech, Cincinnati and LSU. The former All-SEC Auburn offensive lineman played for a national championship here in 2010 and would be a perfect fit on an offensive staff filled with former Auburn players who understand what life is like on the Plains.

Pugh might want to call plays at his next stop, so it’s possible he may want to stay at Troy instead of jumping to Auburn to only be a position coach.

Pugh has been successful in his first two major jobs after life as a graduate assistant. BYU’s rushing total increased by more than 20 yards per game in his lone season there in 2018, and at UTSA the Roadrunners scored a program-best 379 points.

Will Pugh come home? Will Auburn show interest?

Stacy Searels, North Carolina offensive line coach

An All-American at Auburn that blocked for Heisman Trophy winner Bo Jackson as well as All-American Brent Fullwood, Stacy Searels has been one of the top offensive line coaches in the country during his nearly 30 year career in the profession that started when he was a graduate assistant with the Tigers in 1992-93 after playing four seasons of professional football.

Currently at North Carolina where he reunited with his former boss at Texas, Mack Brown, Searels has coached at Appalachian State, Cincinnati, LSU, Georgia, Virginia Tech and Miami in addition to his time in Austin.

Chris Kapilovic, Colorado offensive line coach

Chris Kapilovic is a veteran offensive line coach on the college level. He spent seven years coaching for Larry Fedora at Southern Miss and North Carolina before jumping on board Mel Tucker’s staff at Colorado last season.

Kapilovic was in contact with Auburn when the offensive line job was open following the 2017 season. UNC’s offense broke 60 school records during his time as the offensive line coach. The Tar Heels averaged more than 170 rushing yards per game from 2012 through 2016, which was the highest average during a five-year period since the first stint of the Mack Brown era in the 1990s.

All three senior starters along the UNC offensive line in 2012 were selected in the NFL Draft, including Jonathan Cooper in the first round.

Adrian Klemm, Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line coach

Currently the assistant offensive line coach with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Adrian Klemm is one of the most dynamic young coaches at the position in the country. A native of Los Angeles and a player at Hawaii before spending six seasons in the NFL and winning three Super Bowls with the New England Patriots, Klemm started his coaching career at SMU as a grad assistant before becoming the OL coach and recruiting coordinator from 2009-11. Before moving to the NFL, Klemm was the associate head coach/OL coach and run game coordinator at UCLA from 2012-16.

Stephen Sorrells, Saskatchewan Roughriders

57COMMENTS

Stephen Sorrells served as a graduate assistant on Chad Morris' staff at SMU. If the Auburn offensive coordinator is in charge of the search to find an offensive line coach, Sorrells could get a call. He not only has college coaching experience, he's an Alabama native. The Greenville, Alabama native previously coached at Pearl River Community College in Mississippi and UAB.

Sorrell's offensive line at Saskatechewan gave up the fewest quarterback sacks (27) and recorded the second-best rushing average (111.9 yards per game) in the CFL.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

My choice would be Adrian Klemm. I like his coaching profile.

Showing up at a recruits house flashing 3 SB rings can't hurt at all.

As long as we don’t repeat ourselves and go back to the previous OL coach lol

As long as we don’t repeat ourselves and go back to the previous OL coach lol

48 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Who was Gus' O-line coach at Springdale High?

Hopefully the guy on the keyboard.

source.gif

7 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Showing up at a recruits house flashing 3 SB rings can't hurt at all.

Kendall Simmons can do that as well. He has 2 or 3, is already on staff, and is already familiar with our roster... just sayin...

5 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Kendall Simmons can do that as well. He has 2 or 3, is already on staff, and is already familiar with our roster... just sayin...

This is who I think takes over. I thought when he was hired he would be the oline coach within 2 years as long as gus is still around

2 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

This is who I think takes over. I thought when he was hired he would be the oline coach within 2 years as long as gus is still around

Hope we don’t promote another intern.

8 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

How many NFL OLs has he coached?  How many college OLs has he coached?  A Simmons promotion would not be best for the program, imo.

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Based on certain history, I imagine the Troy guy will be getting the call.

The Gus Malzahn Trust Tree

Image result for tree with no branches

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

The Gus Malzahn Trust Tree

Image result for tree with no branches

Based on this I can't see Gus hiring 3X Super Bowl champ and NFL coach Adrian Klemm. My guy from Inglewood too. He definitely ain't going to be going for some of that yes man nonsense. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Based on this I can't see Gus hiring 3X Super Bowl champ and NFL coach Adrian Klemm. My guy from Inglewood too. He definitely ain't going to be going for some of that yes man nonsense. 

I had a sensible chuckle when I saw him listed.  I'd love someone with his background, but Gus.

I really hope we go after Klemm. Sounds like he has the experience to do the job the right way. If not Klemm the Searels.

I want to see an OL coach that is going to get the line to fire-off and hit someone in the mouth...keep their motor running and not die on contact....too much hand checking by our line in the past several years....we also need to get MUCH stronger in the trenches (both sides)....who can do that, then I am for hiring that coach....to me a coach who can get our OL where it needs to be is more important at this time then someone who is considered an outstanding recruiter....the past several years in my opinion, the person working with our OL wasn't very good at doing either...

I doubt Gus even calls Klemm or Searels - Law of the Lid.

Pugh is the guy followed Simmons.  I would bet money on this.

With Ole Miss and Miss State just upgrading coaches, Gus needs to make this a homerun hire.  Probably a key time to upgrade WR coach also.  Both those programs WILL HAVE legit WR coach who can recruit.  

8 hours ago, Beaker said:

I doubt Gus even calls Klemm or Searels - Law of the Lid.

Pugh is the guy followed Simmons.  I would bet money on this.

With Ole Miss and Miss State just upgrading coaches, Gus needs to make this a homerun hire.  Probably a key time to upgrade WR coach also.  Both those programs WILL HAVE legit WR coach who can recruit.  

Good point about wide receiver recruiting. Our job might have just gotten a lot more difficult. Might have to hope that Morris sticks around a couple seasons for that reason alone.

Out of all these candidates, which ones have experience in our type of system? Or does it matter?

Can you take a pro-style coach and have success coaching a spread type OL? Or does the technique really outweigh the philosophy?

I can see Gus taking a guy that has coached or been in his system. But would that be the best choice?

Archived