Excuse this away

AUght2win

19 hours ago, creed said:

I would like to understand your assersion that revenues should lead to wins. Can you expand on this thought?

We now have elite money. So let's get elite coaches and upgrade our facilities. The money is also evidence of our ascension from a regional brand (think current state of Iowa, Tennessee, or Oklahoma State football) into a national, top 10 brand. 

This program lacks for nothing. So let's stop using the excuse that Auburn is "historically an 8-5 school". We are making new history. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, TigerCatcher said:

My AU Econ degree tells me that if the market perceives a good as inferior or unacceptable the producer will suffer declining revenues.

You guys need to whine a little louder, the market apparently doesn't hear you.  The income statement is telling Dr. Gogue that all is well.

Or has a ridiculously loyal consumer base with a below-average memory...who generally likes Ruth's Chris but doesn't mind Golden Corral on most occasions. 

😁😉

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I think you gentlemen have totally misread the room. This thread is meant to hold Gus to the fire for a lack of results, not give him credit for the profits Auburn is seeing. 

TigerChris said YELLOW...actually not yellow enough. He gets your gist. Amply.  :drippingsarcasm7pa:

26 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I think you gentlemen have totally misread the room. This thread is meant to hold Gus to the fire for a lack of results, not give him credit for the profits Auburn is seeing. 

25 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Again, you guys got the complete opposite point of the post. 

Thanks Sheldon.

48 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

We now have elite money. So let's get elite coaches and upgrade our facilities. The money is also evidence of our ascension from a regional brand (think current state of Iowa, Tennessee, or Oklahoma State football) into a national, top 10 brand. 

This program lacks for nothing. So let's stop using the excuse that Auburn is "historically an 8-5 school". We are making new history. 

We have a lot of money and Allen Greene is in charge of the plan. However, when I think of elite money I think about the coffers of some of the Texas schools. For instance Texas A&M has more endowment that all of the SEC schools put together. Then there is the really elite money in the Ivy schools.

4 hours ago, keesler said:

Latest news from (abw000?) yesterday was that they haven't decided where to put the FOF 😂

He/She also said it takes a long time to plan these big projects and the school has to prove that the funds are placed properly (fiduciary responsibility).  SO in conclusion they are having to spend even a longer time because they don't know where to put it 🤣 the get plans approved and then get the BOT approval and then prove the funds are allocated properly and raise some more money and AU fans & alum get trolled with promises of nice things that never seem to come to fruition.  

Meanwhile the school across the state has been in the midst of another renovation $100MM on an already first class stadium.  And yes, those schools you mentioned + aTm + UK & others have already left AU in the dust. 

It appears that our Administration is fine with the appearance of JHS & not having facilities others have, they couldn't give a rats ass if little ol Auburn stays little ol Auburn.

I'll take Things That Should've Been Planned a Decade Ago for $600, Alex.

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Not to be that guy but....

10. Auburn / SEC

11. LSU / SEC

12. Tennessee / SEC

UT with what now? A decade long crap fest is still just shy of us in earning.

Every time we get our Athletics EOY statement, we go off on a rant, one way or the other. 

Most of us know, it's a combination of a lot of factors that go into why revenues increase or decrease. 

It's a moving target.

All I want to see is just these 2 things:

1. consistent review/improvements in facilities  

2. 10+ win seasons....the budget will take care of itself then. :)

5 hours ago, keesler said:

Latest news from (abw000?) yesterday was that they haven't decided where to put the FOF 😂

Is this really true or is it the latest rumor? 

I thought it was logical and a done deal that it would go where the old track facility is?

6 hours ago, keesler said:

He/She also said it takes a long time to plan these big projects and the school has to prove that the funds are placed properly (fiduciary responsibility).  SO in conclusion they are having to spend even a longer time because they don't know where to put it 🤣 the get plans approved and then get the BOT approval and then prove the funds are allocated properly and raise some more money and AU fans & alum get trolled with promises of nice things that never seem to come to fruition.  

Hey!  Who is this abw000??  Identity theft is not a joke.  Michael!

In all seriousness, the wheels are turning, but I would rather Auburn do this right than rush it.  We took our time with the student ACT and it is one of the top ACT's in the country.  And I say this as one of those people donating to Auburn.

By the way, I am a he.  :moon:

33 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Is this really true or is it the latest rumor? 

I thought it was logical and a done deal that it would go where the old track facility is?

It will be at the old track if I were a betting man

Auburn is a big time name in athletics. Don’t let anyone kid you. I’ve traveled the whole country wearing my AU stuff . No one has ever asked me who they are. Do we get the tv media hat other do? No. But we have good history. And the football has been good the last Decade just not great. But not far off of it.every year we have a couple of bad games do to dumb mistakes. We have the talent, we have the position coaches. We have the resources. Most of the time we wind up shooting our self in the foot with stupid things. Like rotating 3 QBs in a game with one being a FB. Sitting on several leads instead of winning because the HC was scared. Playing a RB that was hurt instead of trying something different. Continuing to run a RB that is fumbling the football when you have good talent behind him. Playing favorites instead of playing the best qualified players. Playing veterans when you have better talent in the younger guys. All these thing can be corrected . We also need to quit being afraid of firing someone that’s not doing their job because we are afraid that we can’t do better. We need to quit excepting excuse. Be like Liberty Mutual and only pay for what you get. 😁 K off  my soap box. 

6 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Not to be that guy but....

10. Auburn / SEC

11. LSU / SEC

12. Tennessee / SEC

UT with what now? A decade long crap fest is still just shy of us in earning.

UT was ONCE a power. They don't have the recruiting bases to be a perennial player like us. Unless UT makes a run and regains a national foothold, they are destined for more mediocrity. In their heyday they pulled kids from California and the like. We will never lack or reach for talent just because of our location. 

In all honesty, Auburn may geographically be placed in the best position of any college football team. Borders GA, close to FL and LA, in Bama, and within reach of TX, the Carolinas, and Mississippi. 

5 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

tripled expenses also. everything cost more. margin has not really climbed

Again, not true. If you are talking operating costs. We have definitely upped our game, coach-paying wise. Ex: our DC makes 2.5 mill a year now and our pro Waffle-House critic got 47 million smackers. 

Auburn is just straight up a bigger brand than it was 15 years ago. We play in more primetime, national TV spots than ever. As a kid (late 90s, early 2000s) it was rare to see Auburn in the spotlight. We got a lot of 11 AM Jefferson Pilot SEC games. Now it's rare if we are NOT on national TV. 

It's thanks to a lot of things including 04, 10, 13, Cam, Kick Six, and just a steady climb. But regardless, Auburn is now synonymous with big time college football. 

12 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Hope you ready to crown Texas A&M forever champs. At least we'll finish top ten.... :lol: 

Forbes list of most profitable football programs.

1. Texas A&M / SEC

2. Texas / Big 12

3. Michigan / Big Ten

4. Alabama / SEC

5. Ohio State / Big Ten

6. Oklahoma / Big 12

7. Georgia / SEC

8. Notre Dame / Independent

9. Florida / SEC

10. Auburn / SEC

11. LSU / SEC

12. Tennessee / SEC

13. Penn State / Big Ten

14. Oregon / Pac-12

15. Florida State / ACC

16 (tie). South Carolina / SEC

16 (tie). Arkansas / SEC

18. USC / Pac-12

19. Washington / Pac-12

20. Nebraska / Big Ten

21. Iowa / Big Ten

22. Michigan State / Big Ten

23. Wisconsin / Big Ten

24. Mississippi / SEC

25. Clemson / ACC

Somewhere in there one of these items seems to say that revenue doesn't matter. Maybe it can be found by careful observation?

On 1/23/2020 at 6:20 PM, AUght2win said:

It also collected $1,848,192 in direct institutional support, as well as $5,933,996 in student fees, the former a slight decrease and the latter a slight increase from the previous year.

Cost shifting to the student body

On 1/23/2020 at 7:09 PM, creed said:

The department also saw $35,173,363 in contributions, which was a decrease of more than $400,000 year over year.

Our donors are mediocre. When are our donors gonna start pulling restored Sherman's out of their front yard and donating them?  All those Aeronautical engineers, let's start pulling capsules and stuff out of Huntsville, The Cape, and Houston. Till then just mediocre.

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Auburn is just straight up a bigger brand than it was 15 years ago. We play in more primetime, national TV spots than ever. As a kid (late 90s, early 2000s) it was rare to see Auburn in the spotlight. We got a lot of 11 AM Jefferson Pilot SEC games. Now it's rare if we are NOT on national TV. 

We started being in prime spots back in the 80's. Way more ESPN, ABC, CBS slots than the JP's and no SECN.

Being on the afternoon of a major network was a big deal and there were not 4 ESPN's then etc. OU/Nebraska for example was almost always a 1:30 game and it didn't get much bigger than that game in the 80's.

You didn't see the Miss State games, Ole Miss etc like you do now I agree. But when Auburn was playing Texas, Alabama, Florida State, Tenn, Florida, Georgia those games were in national and prime spots.

You can start here and go season by season and watch the exposure grow as the networks/coverage as a whole grew, and the trends by opponents. The schedules show you what network the games were on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Auburn_Tigers_football_team

Think at some point even before 04 we were like second only to Michigan for being shown on ESPN.

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

Somewhere in there one of these items seems to say that revenue doesn't matter. Maybe it can be found by careful observation?

"Revenue doesn't matter."

Since the invention of a college football national title game in 1998, only 19 programs have made the playoffs or a national championship bout. 17 of the 19 are on this list. The only two who aren't? Virginia Tech and Miami, who both made it nearly 20 years ago. Both programs are now wallowing in obscurity after being left behind. 

On 1/23/2020 at 8:09 PM, creed said:

I would like to understand your assersion that revenues should lead to wins. Can you expand on this thought?

Can you expand on why its ok to accept mediocre?

1 minute ago, ChltteTiger said:

Can you expand on why its ok to accept mediocre?

It's not and I never said it was. However, I really would liked to understand you assertion. Can you give more details?

12 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

We started being in prime spots back in the 80's. Way more ESPN, ABC, CBS slots than the JP's and no SECN.

Being on the afternoon of a major network was a big deal and there were not 4 ESPN's then etc. OU/Nebraska for example was almost always a 1:30 game and it didn't get much bigger than that game in the 80's.

You didn't see the Miss State games, Ole Miss etc like you do now I agree. But when Auburn was playing Texas, Alabama, Florida State, Tenn, Florida, Georgia those games were in national and prime spots.

You can start here and go season by season and watch the exposure grow as the networks/coverage as a whole grew, and the trends by opponents. The schedules show you what network the games were on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Auburn_Tigers_football_team

Think at some point even before 04 we were like second only to Michigan for being shown on ESPN.

You are totally correct. I don't need to read the WIKI article to know AU was on ESPN A LOT going back to the beginning of the network when Pat Dye was HC. We also got our fair share of CBS 1:30 games (85 AU/Tennessee and 83 AU/Texas comes to mind)

1 minute ago, creed said:

It's not and I never said it was. However, I really would liked to understand you assertion. Can you give more details?

I did not make the assertion so no. I can just read whats driving your comment is all.

Archived