Witness said he paid Alabama players

aubiefifty

al.com

Witness said he paid Alabama players: What it means

By Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com

The ongoing federal corruption saga jumped the tracks from college basketball into the football realm.

And there’s local significance.

Marty Blazer, a cooperating federal witness who already pleaded guilty to wire fraud, made allegations under oath Tuesday of paying college football players. The schools he listed included Pittsburgh, Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Northwestern, North Carolina and … Alabama, according to reporters in the Manhattan courtroom.

The payments were made between 2000 and 2014, according to tweets from reporters in the courtroom. They would range from $100 to $3,000 a month via Western Union, CBS Sports reported.

So, what does this mean from an NCAA compliance standpoint?

First, none of the reporting to this point indicates Blazer named any recipients of the alleged payments. He gave context clues for at least one player at Penn State but didn’t use his name.

Any potential NCAA investigation into these allegations would seemingly hinge on Blazer identifying the recipients of these payments in court. Since the NCAA does not have subpoena powers over someone outside of its athletics departments or those intending to work/compete under their umbrella, there would be no requirement for Blazer to cooperate with any potential investigation that could result from this.

AL.com has reached out to the University of Alabama for reaction but has not received one as of publication.

There is also the matter of the NCAA’s statute of limitations.

The NCAA doesn’t typically investigate allegations of violations after four years. There are four exceptions to that, according to the NCAA website.

1. The eligibility of a current student-athlete
  2. A pattern of willful violations that began before the four-year window but continue into the four-year window or
  3. A blatant disregard for certain fundamental rules (recruiting, extra benefits, academics, ethical conduct) or
  4. An effort to conceal violations.

Any such allegation of cash payment to a player or recruit would qualify as an extra benefit but would it be considered “blatant disregard” for the rule?

Of course, that is all for discussions down the road if that road even materializes.

But in this environment where the underbelly of college sports is being exposed in a federal courtroom, everyone is on edge. The NCAA enforcement staff could have cases against multiple schools based on courtroom testimony it would never have been able to acquire through their own investigative process.

This testimony came as part of the second trial of financial advisor Christian Dawkins and ex-Adidas consultant Merl Code.

It’s all part of the federal investigations into bribery and fraud allegations involving coaches, players, shoe companies and the financial advisors competing for the services of athletes before rules allow such activity.

Blazer is only testifying as part of a plea agreement in connection to multiple felonies. His testimony will continue in the coming days and it’s fair to say it will have the attention of the college football world now too.

Michael Casagrande is an Alabama beat writer for the Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @ByCasagrande or on Facebook.

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

17 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I hope bama gets nailed but history says they won't.

we are agreeing too much. this is more scary than the virus................lol. but then as hard as we have fought i have never meant or wanted to see you or the mrs any harm.

If actual photos and direct quotes proving payments did not move the NCAA's meter then a 3rd party saying stuff way after the fact won't even show up on their radar.  ....as long as Emmert is still the honcho.

When he steps down, Saban won't be far behind.

23 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

If actual photos and direct quotes proving payments did not move the NCAA's meter then a 3rd party saying stuff way after the fact won't even show up on their radar.  ....as long as Emmert is still the honcho.

When he steps down, Saban won't be far behind.

If  'I went to him with a [expletive] strong-ass offer about a month ago. [Expletive] strong' did not raise an eyebrow with the NCAA...

On 3/22/2020 at 12:09 PM, SumterAubie said:

If  'I went to him with a [expletive] strong-ass offer about a month ago. [Expletive] strong' did not raise an eyebrow with the NCAA...

Wish I could find the article but it basically said the heat on Will Wade is about to crank up.

Also read that Mark Emmert not communicating with the Conference Commissioners during this current crisis (holy alliteration Batman!) on top of other issues might have been the final straw. We'll see once everything settles back down.

Then again maybe it won't either, we are in the End-Times now! 😅 Guess we'll just have to pull for Auburn in the Thunderstone!

April 2, 2020 9:27am Alabama opens an internal investigation.

April 2, 2020 9:28am Alabama closes internal investigation and concludes that no wrong doing was done.  The players that received payments practiced in the sun while players that did not receive payments practiced in the indoor facility. 

They won’t even get a stern look from the NCAA. It’s like the Chappelle Show episode where he’s at jury selection for the R. Kelly trial. 

I'm sure li'l general even held a spring practice during the lockdown.  They just had them in their indoor facility and with the blessing of the NCAA, SEC & Alabama state government...

History says that both Alabama and Auburn have been paying players for years! What is new????????????????????? Please stay safe people and really accept what is really important!

On 4/8/2020 at 6:27 PM, E'Town4Bama said:

History says that both Alabama and Auburn have been paying players for years! What is new????????????????????? Please stay safe people and really accept what is really important!

History says that bammer has been cheating on a scale so large that there is a network set up to facilitate it. No other team in NCAA history has established anything like the REC and no other program is as corrupt as bammer. Don't even try to compare Auburn to that cesspool in West Vance. 

BTW.....Auburn educated physicians and engineers are working to help people recover from COVID 19. That's pretty important.

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2020 at 11:00 PM, Tigerbelle said:

History says that bammer has been cheating on a scale so large that there is a network set up to facilitate it. No other team in NCAA history has established anything like the REC and no other program is as corrupt as bammer. Don't even try to compare Auburn to that cesspool in West Vance. 

BTW.....Auburn educated physicians and engineers are working to help people recover from COVID 19. That's pretty important.

There are a lot of educated physicians and engineers from different universities that are working to help people recover from COVID 19. Are you stupid?????????????

1 hour ago, E'Town4Bama said:

There are a lot of educated physicians and engineers from different universities that are working to help people recover from COVID 19. Are you stupid?????????????

The irony of a bammer trailer park dweller calling someone else stupid is lost on you......🙄

Take note little houndstoothed cultist. 

https://www.wsfa.com/2020/04/09/auburn-engineers-successfully-convert-cpaps-into-ventilators/

and this one....

https://www.kxan.com/news/auburn-design-adapts-cpap-machines-into-emergency-ventilators/

Maybe you missed this....

https://ocm.auburn.edu/newsroom/news_articles/2020/04/100919-test-sars-cov-2-vaccine.php

Here are some newer ones....

https://ocm.auburn.edu/newsroom/news_articles/2020/05/151657-alumni-boston.php?auhpftr

https://ocm.auburn.edu/newsroom/news_articles/2020/05/151657-alumni-boston.php?auhpftr

It is evidently beyond your level of comprehension....but this is an Auburn site so we discuss things concerning AUBURN UNIVERSITY.  No one said....ever.....that only Auburn grads were involved in the COVID 19 fight. But posters here....on an AUBURN site like to read about and discuss IMPORTANT things related to AUBURN. 

You mentioned important.....I know you are limited in your capacity to understand much beyond the trailer park.....but what I posted IS important. And it's particularly relevant to AUBURN FANS on an AUBURN SITE.

This side-tracked the main event.....bammer is now and has been a major cheating enterprise for almost 70 years. There were no real championships won fair and square....EVER. Everything was bought and paid for and that continues to be the case. Tua was just the latest bammer possession, and his family was purchased. Only an idiot would claim otherwise. But then again.....the houndstooth cult is not a smart group.

21 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

The irony of a bammer trailer park dweller calling someone else stupid is lost on you......🙄

Take note little houndstoothed cultist. 

https://www.wsfa.com/2020/04/09/auburn-engineers-successfully-convert-cpaps-into-ventilators/

and this one....

https://www.kxan.com/news/auburn-design-adapts-cpap-machines-into-emergency-ventilators/

Maybe you missed this....

https://ocm.auburn.edu/newsroom/news_articles/2020/04/100919-test-sars-cov-2-vaccine.php

Here are some newer ones....

It is evidently beyond your level of comprehension....but this is an Auburn site so we discuss things concerning AUBURN UNIVERSITY.  No one said....ever.....that only Auburn grads were involved in the COVID 19 fight. But posters here....on an AUBURN site like to read about and discuss IMPORTANT things related to AUBURN. 

You mentioned important.....I know you are limited in your capacity to understand much beyond the trailer park.....but what I posted IS important. And it's particularly relevant to AUBURN FANS on an AUBURN SITE.

This side-tracked the main event.....bammer is now and has been a major cheating enterprise for almost 70 years. There were no real championships won fair and square....EVER. Everything was bought and paid for and that continues to be the case. Tua was just the latest bammer possession, and his family was purchased. Only an idiot would claim otherwise. But then again.....the houndstooth cult is not a smart group.

Minor correction, Tigerbelle:   it’s not “for almost 70 years” — the corruption at uat goes back at least 94 years.  Reference the Classics Forum with the William Bradford Huie article from the 1941 Collier’s magazine where he documents his disgust at the abuses in the football program from the previous 15 years.  Stuff like that probably didn’t start in 1926 like some kind of Big Bang event, but we just don’t have any established testimony to to support the speculation.  Still, we’re approaching the 100 year anniversary ...  so, there’s that(!)

40 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Minor correction, Tigerbelle:   it’s not “for almost 70 years” — the corruption at uat goes back at least 94 years.  Reference the Classics Forum with the William Bradford Huie article from the 1941 Collier’s magazine where he documents his disgust at the abuses in the football program from the previous 15 years.  Stuff like that probably didn’t start in 1926 like some kind of Big Bang event, but we just don’t have any established testimony to to support the speculation.  Still, we’re approaching the 100 year anniversary ...  so, there’s that(!)

Wow.....thanks for posting! I had never heard that before. The culture in Tuscaloosa is poisonous and deeply embedded so I'm not surprised to see that it goes back even further than I realized. And it's not surprising that it attracts coaches with a pattern of questionable ethics like the nickster, either. 

27 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Wow.....thanks for posting! I had never heard that before. The culture in Tuscaloosa is poisonous and deeply embedded so I'm not surprised to see that it goes back even further than I realized. And it's not surprising that it attracts coaches with a pattern of questionable ethics like the nickster, either. 

I'm class of '59. Wrote sports column for The Plainsman in '57 when we won the NC. I was close to all the coaches and players. I can tell you for a fact bama was cheating back then. After graduating, got to be good friends with bama's captain of the 1961 team. He told me lots of interesting stories.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

By the way, one of UAT's  17 Claimed "National Championships" was from 1941 when they finished #20 in the AP poll. Look it up, I am serious. They started claiming it in 1982.

19 hours ago, Grumps said:

By the way, one of UAT's  17 Claimed "National Championships" was from 1941 when they finished #20 in the AP poll. Look it up, I am serious. They started claiming it in 1982.

Not just that, but Mississippi State was the SEC champion that year, the only one they have won.  How embarrassing.  

Has E'Town been officially laughed off of this site? If not may I have the honor?

6 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Not just that, but Mississippi State was the SEC champion that year, the only one they have won.  How embarrassing.  

Yes.   They were 8-2 and 5 current SEC teams finished with better records and were ranked above them.  Yet Auburn doesn’t count years when our team was undefeated and ranked #1 by some poll because it was not considered to be a “consensus” ranking.  As Bear once said “if a laundromat in Tuscaloosa ranks Alabama #1 we are going to count it”.  I acknowledge they have plenty of legit championships and I have never understood why they have to resort to counting the jokes.  

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

Yes.   They were 8-2 and 5 current SEC teams finished with better records and were ranked above them.  Yet Auburn doesn’t count years when our team was undefeated and ranked #1 by some poll because it was not considered to be a “consensus” ranking.  As Bear once said “if a laundromat in Tuscaloosa ranks Alabama #1 we are going to count it”.  I acknowledge they have plenty of legit championships and I have never understood why they have to resort to counting the jokes.  

Just something else at which to be "#1"? ..."We're National Champions of COUNTING also!..."...oh, wait. 

Deep, deep, deeeeeeeep self-esteem issues. Bryce is calling. 

Archived