2021 OL Recruiting Thread

ellitor

An overview of Auburn’s offensive line recruiting

By Keith Niebuhr

As is often the case, offensive line recruiting once again is a priority for the Tigers this recruiting cycle.

Particularly the tackle position.

All told, Auburn hopes to sign about five linemen and on Friday offensive line coach Jack Bicknell moved the Tigers not one, but two steps closer to reaching that number. First, 4-star tackle Caleb Johnson of Ocala (Fla.) Trinity Catholic committed to Auburn. An hour later teammate Garner Langlo gave his verbal to Gus Malzahn and the Tigers.

Of Auburn's seven total commitments, three are offensive linemen. Each of them have committed in the past month, starting with the pledge April 16 by tackle J’Marion Gooch of Seymour (Tenn.) The King's Academy. To say the least, these are three big bodies.

Here's a brief look at each ...

J'MARION GOOCH

Position: Tackle

Height/weight: 6-feet-7.5, 358 pounds

Rankings: No. 65 tackle in the industry generated 247Sports Composite.

Chose Auburn over ... Tennessee.

CALEB JOHNSON

Position: Tackle

Height/weight: 6-feet-7, 295 pounds

Rankings: No. 29 tackle in the industry generated 247Sports Composite.

Chose Auburn over ... Notre Dame, Penn State, Florida, Alabama and others.

GARNER LANGLO

Position: Tackle or guard

Height/weight: 6-feet-7, 270 pounds

Rankings: No. 58 tackle in the industry generated 247Sports Composite.

Chose Auburn over ... Georgia Tech, Baylor, Florida State.

Now, here are five targets track ...

-Tommy Brockermeyer, OT, Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints Episcopal: Auburn probably sits in the top three or four for this 5-star. Alabama seems to be the favorite, but one can't overlook Texas, where his father played. Auburn has low-key stayed in the hunt. The Tigers have hosted him twice and he plans to return for an official.

-James Brockermeyer, C, Fort Worth (Texas): Tommy's twin brother, James himself is a terrific prospect. Wherever one goes, the other almost certainly will, too. Auburn is recruiting both brothers extremely hard and they each talk with the Tigers staff often.

-Dylan Fairchild, OT, Cumming (Ga.) West Forsyth: The 4-star tackle named a top six last week of Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Penn State and Tennessee. That said, we think it comes down to Auburn and Georgia for the 4-star recruit. Auburn offered earlier this year and Fairchild already has visited twice.

-Amarius Mims, OT, Cochran (Ga.) Bleckley County: Georgia is the overwhelming favorite in the 247Sports Crystal Ball, but this 5-star recruit has visited the Tigers twice already this year.

-Jaeden Roberts, OT, Houston (Texas) North Shore: Auburn has started to ramp things up for the No. 7 guard in the country. He's a teammate of top Tigers quarterback target Dematrius Davis. If Auburn can land Davis, it certainly would help with Roberts. Alabama and LSU are two other programs heavily in the mix.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Would love for the twins to fill out the last two spots. 

56 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Would love for the twins to fill out the last two spots. 

And I'd love a shot at Anna Kendrick. Neither one is happening. Best realistic shot on the OL is Dylan Fairchild.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

And I'd love a shot at Anna Kendrick. Neither one is happening. Best realistic shot on the OL is Dylan Fairchild.

Anna Kendrick is extremely underrated. Think she over-saturated the market there at some point but I'd love to see more of her moving forward.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Duncanville and north Shore Tackles are high on us

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

north Shore Tackle

Roberts is an OG. Not sure why Keith put tackle for him.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Duncanville

Interesting. I haven't heard AU chatter on Savion Byrd in a long time. I know his stock has been dropping on the recruiting sites lately. Even more interesting is all 6 prediction made for him are to SMU.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Roberts is an OG. Not sure why Keith put tackle for him.

Size probably

Saw this in a Rivals article on the three latest commits "Auburn hasn't signed 3 offensive tackles in the same recruiting class since it signed 7 (!) in 2012 (Avery Young, Jordan Diamond, Patrick Miller, Shane Callahan, Alex Kozan, Will Adams, Robert Leff)."

24 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Saw this in a Rivals article on the three latest commits "Auburn hasn't signed 3 offensive tackles in the same recruiting class since it signed 7 (!) in 2012 (Avery Young, Jordan Diamond, Patrick Miller, Shane Callahan, Alex Kozan, Will Adams, Robert Leff)."

That seven is a total number of OL no OT’s. Even though they were all listed as 0T’s Diamond, Miller, Adams, and Kozan the barbarian were recruited as interior lineman. Of these three in this class one of them will likely end up at guard, likely Langlo.

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

Want her number let me know I'll PM it to you

40 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

How many more OL we trying to take?

From the article in the OP.

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

All told, Auburn hopes to sign about five linemen

3 OT’s at 6’7”, 6’7”and 6’7.5” and growing a bit more maybe. Those some corn stocks right there!!

11 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

3 OT’s at 6’7”, 6’7”and 6’7.5” and growing a bit more maybe. Those some corn stocks right there!!

Yup. I think Bicknell read the board and realized we've been craving legitimate OT with the correct builds for a minute. These are long rangey guys who admittedly need some bulk but can really grow into the position (it's not uncommon for Offensive Linemen to redshirt).

21 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yup. I think Bicknell read the board and realized we've been craving legitimate OT with the correct builds for a minute. These are long rangey guys who admittedly need some bulk but can really grow into the position (it's not uncommon for Offensive Linemen to redshirt).

The ironic thing about the OL we have committed is that Bick said a few months ago something to the effect, he does not think the stereotypical height or weight is not critical for an OT, he just needs to be able to play the position.  

Now if we can bring home the twins, Bick can stay at Auburn for life!    This would be the best OL class, ever (from any singular year).   Fact check me, but you can't count those kids that were busts or decommitted.     Just saying on paper this would be the makings of a championship run OL.  

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

The ironic thing about the OL we have committed is that Bick said a few months ago something to the effect, he does not think the stereotypical height or weight is not critical for an OT, he just needs to be able to play the position.  

Now if we can bring home the twins, Bick can stay at Auburn for life!    This would be the best OL class, ever (from any singular year).   Fact check me, but you can't count those kids that were busts or decommitted.     Just saying on paper this would be the makings of a championship run OL.  

I like this group so far. E already said the twins aren't happening but Fairchild is a possibility. Bicknell can say what he wants if you're a top program in the Power 5 ideally you're getting kids with builds that project to the NFL lol. 

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I like this group so far. E already said the twins aren't happening but Fairchild is a possibility. Bicknell can say what he wants if you're a top program in the Power 5 ideally you're getting kids with builds that project to the NFL lol. 

I know what E said, but I am going to live optimistically on this one.   Would be nice to get to a legitimate HR, a big surprise, you know - something unexpected.   Got to think his family has good family values and can see bama for what they are.    

What is one of the biggest surprises on signing day for Auburn?

Cowart?

Brown, Derrick?

Kuondijo?   (ooops, sorry - forgot the dad and the money got in the way there)

Lance Bailey? 

Maybe these twins are the next ones...

24 minutes ago, Beaker said:

What is one of the biggest surprises on signing day for Auburn?

Cowart?

Brown, Derrick?

Lance Bailey? 

Cowart & Brown were not surprises. We knew we were getting Cowart 2 weeks to a month before he committed. We knew we were in a good spot with Brown about that time on in to NSD too. Lance Bailey was a walk on.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Cowart & Brown were not surprises. We knew we were getting Cowart 2 weeks to a month before he committed. We knew we were in a good spot with Brown about that time on in to NSD too. Lance Bailey was a walk on.

Oh man...there isn't information on Bailey is there?   I thought only old guys knew who Bailey was.    

Anyhow, I thought Brown was a surprise, I really did.  

Cowart kinda followed Muschamp I think and we got Muschamp in December, maybe early January.  But I didn't think Cowart was in the fold that early.   

I will be quiet.  

No - still a good question:  who was our biggest NSD surprise?

I know you want to say, "Beaker it will be "The Twins" ," but I am talking about from another year.   Not this 2021 class.  

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Man I thought Cowart was going to be THE guy

Coach Bicknell is doing a bang up job getting top Offensive Linemen. Hope he'll keep pulling in more OL.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I feel like Elijah Daniel was a big signing day surprise, maybe? He was a borderline 5* IIRC. 

Definitely. I had forgotten bakers question. I’ll look into it later today. another one that comes to mind is Patrick Miller being committed to LSU but showing up for spring classes on the first day of class at Auburn. That shocked everybody.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Definitely. I had forgotten bakers question. I’ll look into it later today. another one that comes to mind is Patrick Miller being committed to LSU but showing up for spring classes on the first day of class at Auburn. That shocked everybody.

Oh that's right!

• 2 weeks later...

Bicknell strikes again

AUBURN | Junior college signees, graduate transfers, traditional transfers, position changes — Auburn has plugged holes on its offensive line by whatever means necessary over the past half dozen seasons.

It was out of necessity with the Tigers unable to sign more than three high school offensive linemen in a class since 2015, signing 13 total over those five classes. During that same five-year period, it’s three top rivals averaged four or more high school offensive line signees per class: Alabama (20), Georgia (23) and LSU (20).

Roberts committed to Auburn Wednesday.
Roberts committed to Auburn Wednesday. (Rivals.com)

In eight years under Malzahn, the Tigers have brought in four JUCO signees, three graduate transfers, two traditional transfers and made three position changes to bolster the offensive line.

But that’s changing in a big way under Jack Bicknell Jr. Auburn’s first-year offensive line coach has already secured commitments from four high school offensive linemen after adding four-star offensive guard Jaeden Roberts from North Shore in Houston, Texas to the 2021 class Wednesday.

Roberts spoke glowingly about Bicknell in an interview with Rivals recruiting analyst Sam Spiegelman.

“We're very honest with each other -- no smoke -- and he's straight-up honest and he's given me his word that he will bring me to my peak if I come to Auburn,” Roberts told Rivals. “Every coach says that they will, but he is really genuine and honest about it. Some people say that you have to go on your instincts and I've been around a lot of coaches and I can tell that based on his characteristics and how they speak to me and my parents and how they overall treat me that it's home up there.”

Roberts is listed as 6-foot-5 and 330 pounds by Rivals, which emphasizes another trend under Bicknell. Auburn’s three other offensive line commits are all listed as 6-foot-7 or taller: J’Marion Gooch (6-8, 340), Caleb Johnson (6-7, 290) and Garner Langlo (6-7, 280).

Auburn hasn’t signed four offensive linemen 6-foot-5 or taller since the 2012 class.

Bicknell is also stretching out Auburn's recruiting footprint for offensive linemen in this class. Roberts is from Texas, Gooch from Tennessee, and both Johnson and Langlo from central Florida. It's reminiscent of that 2012 class, which included offensive linemen from Colorado, Arizona, Illinois, Florida, Georgia and Alabama.

Archived