We could stop the pandemic by July 4 if the government took these steps

On 5/16/2020 at 2:48 PM, I_M4_AU said:

The bottom line is even testing, tracing and isolation will not stop or control the pandemic as it is an impossible task.  Just totally unrealistic even with the fascist governors we have in the US.  It’s nice to dream.

Your ignorance is on full display. :no:

No one has suggested an organized testing/tracing plan would be easy to implement, but it is certainly not "impossible" - much less unrealistic - even with the totally incompetent administration we are currently burdened with. 

https://ethics.harvard.edu/files/center-for-ethics/files/roadmaptopandemicresilience_updated_4.20.20_0.pdf

Appendix E: Summary of Recomendations

Our anchor recommendation is this: Between now and August, we should phase in economic mobilization in sync with growth in our capacity to provide speedy, sustainable testing, tracing and warning, and supported isolation and quarantine programs for mobilized sectors of the workforce. We do not propose a modest level of testing, tracing, and supported isolation intended merely to supplement collective quarantine as a tool of disease control. We recommend a level of testing, tracing, and supported isolation ambitious enough to replace collective quarantine as a tool of disease control.

We need to deliver 5 million tests per day by early June to deliver a safe social reopening. This number will need to increase over time (ideally by late July) to 20 million a day to fully remobilize the economy. Achieving these numbers depends on testing innovation. We acknowledge that even this number may not be high enough to protect public health. In that considerably less likely eventuality, we will need to scale testing up much further. By the time we know if we need to do that, we should be in a better position to know how to do it. An effective strategy of pandemic resilience requires:

Innovation in testing methodologies.

A Pandemic Testing Board established by the federal government with strong but narrow powers that has the job of securing the testing supply and the infrastructure necessary for deployment.

Federal and/or state guidance for state testing programs that accord with due process, civil liberties, equal protection, non-discrimination, and privacy standards.

Readiness frameworks to support local health leaders, mayors, tribal leaders, and other public officials in setting up test administration processes and isolation support resources.

Organizational innovation at the local level linking cities, counties, and public health districts, with specifics varying from state to state.

Federal and state investment in contact tracing personnel, starting with an investment in 100,000 personnel (recommendation from JHU Center for Health Security).

Clear mechanisms and norms of governance and enforcement around the design and use of peer-to-peer warning apps, including maximal privacy protection, availability of open source code for independent and regulatory audit, and prohibitions on the use of any data from these apps for commercial purposes, ideally achieved through pre-emptive legislation.

Support for quarantine and isolation in the form of jobs protections and material support for time in quarantine and isolation as well as access to health care.

An expanded U.S. Public Health Service Corps and Medical (or Health) Reserves Corps (paid service roles), and addition of Health Reserves Corps to the National Guard units of each state.

National Infectious Disease Forecasting Center to modernize disease tracking (Recommendation from Scott Gottlieb, AEI).

Consensus is emerging about what we need. How to do it is beginning to come into view. The time is here for action.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And here's just one of those innovations the previous article referred to in it's first summary point:

Coronavirus Test Shortages Trigger a New Strategy: Group Screening

Pooling diagnostic samples, and using a little math, lets more people get tested with fewer assays

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/coronavirus-test-shortages-trigger-a-new-strategy-group-screening2/

20 hours ago, Grumps said:

You didn't answer my question at all, but thanks anyway.

I completely understand how controlling a pandemic and reducing the number of infections saves lives. That was a great answer to a question I didn't ask!

You asked a simple question and I provided a simple answer. So stop your weaseling. 

If you want to rephrase your question to more accurately reflect what you really wanted to ask, here's your chance.

49 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Your ignorance is on full display. :no:

No one has suggested an organized testing/tracing plan would be easy to implement, but it is certainly not "impossible" - much less unrealistic - even with the totally incompetent administration we are currently burdened with. 

Your changing the argument. You mention testing/tracing but forgot the isolation part.  That is the part that is *impossible*. You are as dishonest with your quotes as the fake media.  Shame.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

By all means, please tell me again what my opinion of Cuomo is and how I'm playing politics.

I don't know your opinion of Cuomo and that is why that is my assumption.  I haven't seen a post where you are calling Cuomo dumb (maybe I missed it).  Do you think he has been dumb as it relates to his handling of Covid-19? 

2 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

I don't know your opinion of Cuomo and that is why that is my assumption.  I haven't seen a post where you are calling Cuomo dumb (maybe I missed it).  Do you think he has been dumb as it relates to his handling of Covid-19? 

No, I don't think he's been dumb. Didn't say he's been smart, either. You know there are more options than that, yes?

Furthermore, I didn't bring up Cuomo, you did. Not sure why. I have no reason to discuss Cuomo. He certainly has no bearing on an assessment of Kemp. 

30 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Your changing the argument. You mention testing/tracing but forgot the isolation part.  That is the part that is *impossible*. You are as dishonest with your quotes as the fake media.  Shame.

If someone tests positive, they should be isolated. And there is nothing "impossible" about it. :dunno:

You really don't understand this, do you. :no:

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

If someone tests positive, they should be isolated. And there is nothing "impossible" about it. :dunno:

You really don't understand this, do you. :no:

Of course I understand it, ask Chris Cuomo if he understands it.  He tested positive and visited his 2nd home under construction when he was suppose to be quarantined.  There is a case where an NY man traveled to Hawaii where they have a mandatory quarantine of 14 days for anybody that travels there.  He went out on the town the day after he got there.  It’s great to have rules, it’s the enforcing the rules that you don’t seem to understand.  You know Human Behavior....it a science that you just don’t believe in. A true science denier. 

16 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Of course I understand it, ask Chris Cuomo if he understands it.  He tested positive and visited his 2nd home under construction when he was suppose to be quarantined.  There is a case where an NY man traveled to Hawaii where they have a mandatory quarantine of 14 days for anybody that travels there.  He went out on the town the day after he got there.  It’s great to have rules, it’s the enforcing the rules that you don’t seem to understand.  You know Human Behavior....it a science that you just don’t believe in. A true science denier. 

If there was a point in there, I failed to discern it.  I thought we were talking about the rationale of testing? :dunno:

And I have probably forgotten more about the science of human behavior than you'll ever know.  As proof, I suggest you try to get through Sapolsky's "Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst".  

Then get back to me and tell me I am a "true science denier". :laugh:

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

If there was a point in there, I failed to discern it.  I thought we were talking about the rationale of testing? :dunno:

And I have probably forgotten more about the science of human behavior than you'll ever know.  As proof, I suggest you try to get through Sapolsky's "Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst".  

Then get back to me and tell me I am a "true science denier". :laugh:

My God man. My whole rebuttal was about the impossibility of the testing, contact tracing AND ISOLATION that you linked an article how it would STOP the virus.  This is your typical missing the point argument and it gets tiresome.

On 5/17/2020 at 2:53 PM, aubiefifty said:

lol if you would think for a minute you would realize those steps are part of the road to recovery but we gotta make a bad joke out of the other side bringing a real solution besides trumps open em up and if some die they die.........right?

Cuomo on Sunday.  Older people, vulnerable people are going to die.  Any comment?

33 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

My God man. My whole rebuttal was about the impossibility of the testing, contact tracing AND ISOLATION that you linked an article how it would STOP the virus.  This is your typical missing the point argument and it gets tiresome.

Stop lying. 

I said testing/contact tracing - and isolation of those testing positive - would control the pandemic.  I said nothing about "stopping" the virus.

And it's not "impossible".  Other countries are doing this.  It's the only effective option we have until there is a proven vaccine.  It's the only way we can open up the economy without an inevitable resurgence of infections.

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

why fluff it up? hell you wanna say liar. come on you know you do...........wiggles eyebrows.

47 minutes ago, homersapien said:

"stopping" the virus.

Read the title of this thread. You wrote it.

23 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

why fluff it up? hell you wanna say liar. come on you know you do...........wiggles eyebrows.

No, I’ll leave that to homer....he just told me to stop lying.  I just want to see how he navigates the rabbit hole.

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

No, I’ll leave that to homer....he just told me to stop lying.  I just want to see how he navigates the rabbit hole.

u r no fun.............ya gotta live a little. homes is one tough cat he can take it i promise. trying to lighten the mood dude........lol  and yes i know i suck at it. must be time to burn one..........

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

u r no fun.............ya gotta live a little. homes is one tough cat he can take it i promise. trying to lighten the mood dude........lol  and yes i know i suck at it. must be time to burn one..........

The wiggle eyebrows threw me.  

Sorry.

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Burn one for me............

2 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Burn one for me............

i sure will. i cough so much the neighbors are worried i gots the covid. grins. and i got some good upper pot right now. tis rare in my neck of the woods.....

We could do all this...and much like the flu, it will still be here. Now......let's come up with the RIGHT solution that not only attacks the problem but STILL supports the freedom that we should have. Pretty simple if we had real leadership and decision making based on facts and honest science. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

No, I don't think he's been dumb. Didn't say he's been smart, either. You know there are more options than that, yes?

Furthermore, I didn't bring up Cuomo, you did. Not sure why. I have no reason to discuss Cuomo. He certainly has no bearing on an assessment of Kemp. 

I assumed you would think Cuomo is not dumb while believing Kemp has been dumb as it relates to this virus. Your thoughts on this can’t be fact based, so I assume they are politically driven. Hey, I could be wrong. I think Cuomo has been among the most incompetent governors as it relates to handling this pandemic. You know what the very first thing the mayor of our small town did as it relates to this virus? He banned all visitors to our facility that cares for the elderly. Meanwhile Cuomo brilliantly.......

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Read the title of this thread. You wrote it.

In defense of Brother Homer he explained the topic title on his initial page 1 response.  Agree with much he saying. "Tracing" and "isolation" sound great although a fantasy imo and given our freedoms. All will come down to personal responsibility or a vaccine.

Who is to say there will ever be a true vaccine?  Sure doesn't work guaranteed with the flu or pneumonia. 

2 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

Your thoughts on this can’t be fact based,

Congratulations. Sounds like you made the dreaded " ignore list". 

just silly "sorority girl-like" stuff. 

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

You asked a simple question and I provided a simple answer. So stop your weaseling. 

If you want to rephrase your question to more accurately reflect what you really wanted to ask, here's your chance.

So you answered what you thought I meant to ask. Got it! Thanks Nostradamus!

Archived