Kentucky game Score Prediction

Zeek

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rebuilt defensive line against a veteran OL that is nasty in the run game, even with a WR as QB....

Rebuilt poor OL against a good, veteran DL...

Auburn, in it's last game, was embarrassed by Minnesota.  And it wasn't close. 

I unfortunately think that everyone picking an upset is pretty spot on.  UK 24 AU 13

We generally stall in and just outside the red zone.  With all the hoopla, you have got to prove it to me first.

Hope I am wrong.  I hope Gus begins to be the coach we all hoped he could be this season.

On 9/21/2020 at 6:11 PM, alexava said:

No predictions, no expectations. Not really even excited. I have come to expect something will happen and the season will never happen. I hope this mindset of mine. changes Saturday at 11:30. 

I think you might enjoy an adult beverage to help get over your obvious depression! War Eagle to you! Let's go.

17 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Rebuilt defensive line against a veteran OL that is nasty in the run game, even with a WR as QB....

I unfortunately think that everyone picking an upset is pretty spot on.  UK 24 AU 13

We generally stall in and just outside the red zone.  With all the hoopla, you have got to prove it to me first.

Hope I am wrong.  I hope Gus begins to be the coach we all hoped he could be this season.

I am fine with you taking the worst case possible. There are lots of other possible cases too.

New AU OC has the offense clicking.

AU defense basically reloads and stuffs KY.

A more mature Nix shows it on the field.

New AU offensive line looks stout under OL coach.

AU speed too much for KY.

I could go on. You are entitled to your thoughts. Hope your wrong!

12 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I am fine with you taking the worst case possible. There are lots of other possible cases too.

Except offenses, even the best ones don’t click on day one. UK has the leg up in that they are returning more experience on that side but AU has more skill players. If AU wins it will be due to depth. 

Auburn 20 Kentucky 10

Defenses do better compared to offenses when given less time. OL needs to gel and LT needs to be determined. 

12 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I could add one more that would trump all your positives:  Gus Malzahan is still the Head Coach.  That really means there will never be consistency. Like Forrsest Gump's Box of Chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

But yeah, I really hope I am wrong, too.

34 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

I could add one more that would trump all your positives:  Gus Malzahan is still the Head Coach.  That really means there will never be consistency. Like Forrsest Gump's Box of Chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

But yeah, I really hope I am wrong, too.

Actually, Gus Malzahn still being the head coach is a very good thing. A very good thing. Bear with me here, because I'm coming back around to your point of view in a bit. Even with the questions looming at OL, this is likely our most talented team since 2004. Unlike that 2004 team, Gus has accomplished this while all of our main rivals are operating at peak levels. Speaking of, he's 3-4 against the GOAT, he scored 55 points in one of the 4, and one of the 3 was the most recent one. Our defense has been stellar for several years in a row now, our offense is more deep and talented at the skill positions than I can ever remember, our special teams are adequate at worst and have typically been a strength since 2013, and our players stay out of trouble.

The question is, is Gus still our OC? Every indication is that he isn't, but I won't tell anyone who's suffered through watching this offense the last 5 years that they should just assume that it's true and that we're headed for greener pastures. I feel that. But fwiw, people close to the program are saying pretty consistently that it really is different this time. 

21 hours ago, 1716AU said:

Rebuilt? yes. Poor? I highly doubt it.  Our OL the last two years was flat out bad, pathetically bad. I said it before the end of last year, this OL will be much better. Addition by subtraction both in personnel and coaching. Players tend to take on their coaches personality and this one has a bit of an attitude. Everyone of the starters this year have what we haven't had in 2+ years. The attitude and skill to be maulers.

The bad showing in that game, like most of our other losses, was a direct reflection of our OL. No holes to run through, confusion on assignments, and they never once imposed their will. 

With all the hoopla, you have got to prove it to me first.

I can understand that. I can't wait to see it myself!

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Rebuilt? yes. Poor? I highly doubt it.  Our OL the last two years was flat out bad, pathetically bad. I said it before the end of last year, this OL will be much better. Addition by subtraction both in personnel and coaching. Players tend to take on their coaches personality and this one has a bit of an attitude. Everyone of the starters this year have what we haven't had in 2+ years. The attitude and skill to be maulers.

The bad showing in that game, like most of our other losses, was a direct reflection of our OL. No holes to run through, confusion on assignments, and they never once imposed their will. 

I can understand that. I can't wait to see it myself!

Big Bird you the man

We beat Oregon in our first game last year. Nix had absolutely no experience playing college ball. He's got a year under his belt now, and I think the offensive line is going to be improved, as well as the offensive play calling with Chad taking over. I really think we put up a good amount of points on O for this one. I don't want to jinx us and say we will for sure win, but I REALLY like our chances. 

Sadly. I don't think we pull this one out.

I have no faith in our Oline to open holes or give pass pro. 

They also have the advantage in their Oline v our Dline. We will need new starters to really step up and produce against one if the best Olines in the country. 

I believe our only chance to win is to run quick easy high percentage passes to out athlete them on the 2nd level. 

Hopefully I'm wrong. 

Uk-24 AU-17

39 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

I have no faith in our Oline to open holes or give pass pro. 

Why? These aren't the same players or coach we've suffered with the last couple of years. IMO, as of now, they deserve our faith.

46 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Why? These aren't the same players or coach we've suffered with the last couple of years. IMO, as of now, they deserve our faith.

Think how long some of these guys have been here too. It’s not like we’re starting a bunch of true freshmen and sophomores. Also, we have the transfer who is a Swiss Army Knife. I, for one,  am very excited about the oline.

9 minutes ago, toddc said:

Think how long some of these guys have been here too. It’s not like we’re starting a bunch of true freshmen and sophomores. Also, we have the transfer who is a Swiss Army Knife. I, for one,  am very excited about the oline.

All 6 guys (since we still have an "or") are redshirt juniors. 

I'm actually geeked as hell about what this offense will return next year. We could theoretically return 5 senior starters on the OL, a 3rd-year starter at QB, and 2-4 RBs (and adding Armoni freaking Goodwin). We're 5 deep at TE with only one junior. We look to take a hit at WR but we also look to be able to absorb it there, especially with what else we return. I mean... knock on wood and all... but what we're looking at next year only comes around once a decade or so. And we haven't had an iteration this talented and deep across all positions since 2004 at least. 

Sorry, back to Kentucky. 

On 9/23/2020 at 7:41 PM, 1716AU said:

You overestimate their D-Line.  The yards per game number looked good last year due to shortened games and ball control, but UK gave up more than 5 per carry.

AU - 31

UK - 20

Kentucky's defense is not spectacular and although they are a much improved program, they still went 3-5 in conference last year with a 17 point loss to South Carolina.  Forgive me if I'm not afraid.

Really think Morris will mitigate any line issues with quick throws to guys in space.  Look for Shivers out of the backfield, Schwartz on the bubble, and maybe even a tight end or two catch balls over the middle.  Believe we may finally use the crazy amount of speed on offense to our advantage.

Not remotely concerned about our defense.  Lost a lot obviously, but AU has been a consistent top 20 defensive team since Steele got here.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Kentucky's defense is not spectacular and although they are a much improved program, they still went 3-5 in conference last year with a 17 point loss to South Carolina.  Forgive me if I'm not afraid.

Exactly. 180 total yards and zero points against uga. I know they had a WR at QB, but also he was by far their most talented player and he's gone. And we of all fan bases know how good a mobile QB can make an OL look. 

And no matter how good and experienced their OL is, they only see talent on the DL such as we have once a year. Twice if they happen to play bama or LSU that year. That didn't happen last year. And we've lost a couple superstar DLs, but I'd argue that we're deeper this year. We'll be rolling fresh legs in the 4th quarter. Ouch for them.

And I'll just go back to the fact that we are a top-10 team in terms of overall talent and they are a top-30 team. Even if we didn't return our starting QB and probably the best linebackers in the conference, I'd have us winning by 10 at home. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly. 180 total yards and zero points against uga. I know they had a WR at QB, but also he was by far their most talented player and he's gone. And we of all fan bases know how good a mobile QB can make an OL look. 

And no matter how good and experienced their OL is, they only see talent on the DL such as we have once a year. Twice if they happen to play bama or LSU that year. That didn't happen last year. And we've lost a couple superstar DLs, but I'd argue that we're deeper this year. We'll be rolling fresh legs in the 4th quarter. Ouch for them.

And I'll just go back to the fact that we are a top-10 team in terms of overall talent and they are a top-30 team. Even if we didn't return our starting QB and probably the best linebackers in the conference, I'd have us winning by 10 at home. 

Yup.  My biggest concern is this stat.

Gus Malzahn is 4-11 straight up in his last 15 as a home SEC favorite.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yup.  My biggest concern is this stat.

Gus Malzahn is 4-11 straight up in his last 15 as a home SEC favorite.

Oh. Um. Well, uh... 

Chad Morris, and stuff? Did you know Bo Nix is Pat Nix's son? And Bo Jackson's nephew and Cam Newton's little brother play for us, too. And we've got a Big Kat. Look, just tell me what kind of deflection you'd enjoy most and I'm happy to provide it....

The way I look at the offensive line is that:

a) we have (for all intents and purposes) a veteran SEC QB;

b) plenty of speed and experience in other skill positions; and

c) an offensive coordinator who, I believe, can use all of that to counter poor o-line play, should it arise. That's not something we've had in the past. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

The way I look at the offensive line is that:

a) we have (for all intents and purposes) a veteran SEC QB;

b) plenty of speed and experience in other skill positions; and

c) an offensive coordinator who, I believe, can use all of that to counter poor o-line play, should it arise. That's not something we've had in the past. 

well-there-you-have-it - Reaction GIFs

Archived