Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

9 minutes ago, metafour said:

Actually, it wouldn't - and I'll explain why. 

It would be best for Auburn if GM "got us back on track" only if that entailed him reaching a new state of equilibrium which elevates the program to a more desirable state of consistent success. While that would be a desirable outcome, its not even remotely realistic at this point. Since we are in year 8 of his tenure here (with multiple shuffles of the coaching staff), what you see is what you get at this point. The life expectancy of a successful coach in this conference is ~10 years, so expecting GM to "turn the corner" after his 8th full season here is asinine. He's already at the point of his career wherein you've realistically squeezed the majority of success you're going to get out of him.

Now, the issue here that you (and everyone else who's still holding out for hope) is missing is that we are basically at the point where a change needs to be made for the sake of OPTICS alone. In this hypercompetitive conference, your team is either competing and winning (in which case the fanbase is living off of the hype which that success brings), or your team is rebuilding with a new coach (in which case the fanbase is living off the hype of "a brighter tomorrow"). The worst state you can be in is the state we are currently in, which is Malzahn's default state: general ineptitude, but doing just enough once every ~3-4 years to buy more time. The danger with being in this state is that it slowly sucks the life and energy out of the fanbase. It breeds apathy and disinterest. While teams like Bama, LSU, Georgia are living off of their actual success, teams like Tennessee, Ole Miss, MSU, and Arkansas are living off of the excitement that a new regime brings. What are we living off of? The hope that in a year or two or three our coach might just so happen to have all the pieces fall into place to have one season wherein we're competing for an SEC title? Even if we give him enough time and reach that point again, he has already proven that its fool's gold because its short lived success followed by another 3-4 seasons of complete soul-sucking ineptitude. 

The football team CAN NOT remain in this state of APATHY. Regardless of any wins or losses, you need to look at the landscape around us and see that we are falling behind in terms of general excitement and hype around the program. Our energy is waning. The way to "kick start" the engine again is to make a coaching change which FORCES a sense of interest back into the program through uncertainty alone. This is basically the fate of all coaches in this conference, and what you saw when Georgia replaced Richt, LSU replaced Miles, Arkansas replaced Nutt, etc. 

Change literally needs to happen for the sake of change alone. We're well past the point with Malzahn where we need to give him time to figure things out. He's already shown what he is; what you are arguing for is going to result in nothing but a prolonged state of interest in the football team slowly being chipped away and eroded. 

You make some great points. However, it does no good for the program to be discussing this after game 2 of this season. The time for this discussion is at the end of this season. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

You make some great points. However, it does no good for the program to be discussing this after game 2 of this season. The time for this discussion is at the end of this season. 

So you are saying LSU handled the Miles termination wrong?

I want an entirely new staff. Top to bottom. The only position coach I’d think of keeping is Caddy and maybe TWill. 

36 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I want an entirely new staff. Top to bottom. The only position coach I’d think of keeping is Caddy and maybe TWill. 

Sad, because I really like Garner (TWill too).

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Sad, because I really like Garner (TWill too).

Rodney is a great coach but he’s nearing the end of his tenure. Retirement is on the horizon. 

2 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

Gus hasn't been fairly evaluated at the end of the season since when?  2016 maybe? 

Seems Reasonable Sensible GIF - SeemsReasonable Reasonable Sensible -  Discover & Share GIFs

Cristobal

Brady

Kiffin

Any of these guys would be a massive upgrade and could take the program and run with it right off the bat imo. 

Just now, NoALtiger said:

Cristobal

Brady

Kiffin

Any of these guys would be a massive upgrade and could take the program and run with it right off the bat imo. 

Venables too

Who we can actually get. We'd be lucky to get Christobal but that's not happening.

Tom Herman after this year. 
Missed out on Kirby and Kiffin. 

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

We have the worst coach in the SEC. 

I believe this 100%. Gus would not be an upgrade at any program in the SEC.

Who would I hire? The list is a lot longer than the list of top schools that would hire Gus Malzahan. 

5 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Freeze

Kiffin

Ga. Tech coach

None of Gus's friends please. 

29 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

I believe this 100%. Gus would not be an upgrade at any program in the SEC.

Who would I hire? The list is a lot longer than the list of top schools that would hire Gus Malzahan. 

The really depressing thing is that any coach we hire is going to be, at the best, middle of the pack in the SEC. I don’t see anyone out there with the potential of Pruitt, Mullen, Kiffen, Drinkwitz or Leach. We won’t get anyone even close to Saban or Smart. We may be able to find a coach better than Muschamp, Stoops and Mason. And Sam and Orgeron are a toss up. 

Literally anybody that doesn't make me feel like I'm wasting my Saturdays. 

And if that's how I feel about it from my couch imagine how the kids who have actual futures at stake feel about it

46 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The really depressing thing is that any coach we hire is going to be, at the best, middle of the pack in the SEC. I don’t see anyone out there with the potential of Pruitt, Mullen, Kiffen, Drinkwitz or Leach. We won’t get anyone even close to Saban or Smart. We may be able to find a coach better than Muschamp, Stoops and Mason. And Sam and Orgeron are a toss up. 

I understand why you feel that way. But what makes me sad about the current state of the program is also why I don't feel that same level of dread. Auburn has the ability to pull in a top 10 recruiting classes every year. With player development and competent coaching we can win our fair share of SEC titles and get our playoff chances. 

Also want a coach who demands respect and discipline on the field. Our DBs talk way too much after plays. Seth tends to have bad body language and pouts when he doesn't get the ball. I saw Bo Nix being animated more than a couple of times going to the sideline. I see players jogging as the ball goes to the sideline. I am seeing the same players make the same mistakes over and over. Offensive line just having silly penalties. It is time to start expecting excellence and carrying yourself in this manner. This team is too talented for all of that.

Archived