Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

1 minute ago, DAG said:

He just needs to be fired by end. Don’t care if it is early or not. 

Me either,and I'm not getting my hopes up. It's like getting a date with Liz Hurley to the prom, and then drowning the day before. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, metafour said:

Chris Petersen has zero interest in coaching outside the West. Are we back in 2010? Its been a decade+ of people trying to get him to take their SEC job - he's not coming. 

Agree. Ten years ago for the right job, and for the right money maybe. Not now 

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Underrated in my opinion. Most people wouldn’t like it because it isn’t a splash hire.

Unpopular opinion: I would take Stoops over Cristobal (but I'd take either).

Still think one of Clemson's coordinators is most realistic.

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

Agree. Ten years ago for the right job, and for the right money maybe. Not now 

Even then, it was obvious that he had no interest in coming down to the South. He's spent like one season in his entire career - at Pitt - away from the West coast. I believe his son has/had a rare illness or condition that he was being treated for at a local hospital. Similarly to how I was saying that a guy from the South like Cristobal wasn't going to be married to coaching in Oregon, Chris Petersen is the complete opposite: born in California, played in California, and spent essentially his entire career coaching on the West coast. He was never going to come down to the SEC.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Unpopular opinion: I would take Stoops over Cristobal (but I'd take either).

Still think one of Clemson's coordinators is most realistic.

I continue to be surprised that Venables has not gotten a HC gig. 

1 minute ago, metafour said:

Even then, it was obvious that he had no interest in coming down to the South. He's spent like one season in his entire career - at Pitt - away from the West coast. I believe his son has/had a rare illness or condition that he was being treated for at a local hospital. Similarly to how I was saying that a guy from the South like Cristobal wasn't going to be married to coaching in Oregon, Chris Petersen is the complete opposite: born in California, played in California, and spent essentially his entire career coaching on the West coast. He was never going to come down to the SEC.

Cristobal will wind up as a HC in the SEC somewhere there's no doubt.

7 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I continue to be surprised that Venables has not gotten a HC gig. 

Me too. The same was always said for John Chavis and Bud Foster. As good as Venables is at what he does, maybe he just doesn’t have the acumen to be the head guy. 

29 minutes ago, metafour said:

Chris Petersen has zero interest in coaching outside the West. Are we back in 2010? Its been a decade+ of people trying to get him to take their SEC job - he's not coming. 

I'd make him say no. Football coaches are very unpredictable, sometimes irrational people. Bob Stoops retired from Oklahoma and decided to go to the XFL. Mack Brown came out of retirement in his 70s to go back to UNC. Urban Meyer is Urban Meyer. The competitive motivations of these guys come and go, and things change. I wouldn't be certain of anything.

Coach Dye had a fire in the belly type demeanor. Find someone with the fire and passion to win, and not take Shiite from other SEC programs. In other words, if there was a fight I want someone that is willing to for the right reasons!

In the past, one of the mods (If he wants to speak up, he will) said he was not in favor of hiring Venables as the HC, due to baggage.  Besides that what do folks see in him that indicates he would be a good HC?  I don’t know much about him other than he appears to be a good DC. 

8 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

In the past, one of the mods (If he wants to speak up, he will) said he was not in favor of hiring Venables as the HC, due to baggage.  Besides that what do folks see in him that indicates he would be a good HC?  I don’t know much about him other than he appears to be a good DC. 

Until someone actually says what that baggage is, all innuendo to me. If he's good enough for Yabo Dabo, he's good enough for me.

There is the question of if he even wants to become a HC, but this article that someone posted last week suggests he might be thinking about it.

4 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Great DC, but if I were to give this a shot:

I would say he has been a big reason for Clemson's success

He is most definitely a great recruiter, at least on his side of the ball

He hopefully has learned a lot from one of the best coaches on how to build a program

But I can understand the reserves because he doesn't have any HC experience

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Great DC, but if I were to give this a shot:

I would say he has been a big reason for Clemson's success

He is most definitely a great recruiter, at least on his side of the ball

He hopefully has learned a lot from one of the best coaches on how to build a program

But I can understand the reserves because he doesn't have any HC experience

When he got there, this is what had just happened:

The last part is highly understandable, of course.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

When he got there, this is what had just happened:

The last part is highly understandable, of course.

Yep I remember that game vividly. That is when Clemsoning was still an adjective. Now it is a distant memory.

17 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I wonder if Venables would be interested if the money is right.

Very tough to say, because he has turned down a bunch of lucrative offers already.   A bunch.

I really believe Sarkisian would bring a traditional offense geared for success. I like the idea of hiring a coach she was coached under Nick Saban and has coached at the professional level

12 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Very tough to say, because he has turned down a bunch of lucrative offers already.   A bunch.

Elliot is potentially a fallback option.

5 minutes ago, shabby said:

I really believe Sarkisian would bring a traditional offense geared for success. I like the idea of hiring a coach she was coached under Nick Saban and has coached at the professional level

...must...resist....

Archived