Conspiracy Time: Did Gus Play Politics?

Malcolm_FleX48

I want to ask and maybe posit a theory, was it a political decision to Start Bo last year over Gatewood and if so, was he approached by the PTB to do so?

If the QB battle was as close as they made it seem, I can't imagine there being such a drop off in Bo's play unless Gatewood was literally trash, which we have conflicting reports to that. It just doesn't make much sense to start a TF over an older player unless that TF was blowing the doors off the competition from day one. Another issue is that Gatewood is a Malzahn System QB. Cam Newton lite, so if you had an older guy that fit your system and was neck and neck with the newcomer, why did you tank your depth by running him off except for politics?? 

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DAG said:

Politics are always in play. A big part of the reason why I still think he is here. Great to see you back 

Not for too long lol, just had to ask questions. 

I think you are overthinking this one. After Marshall, just look at the development of every single QB we have signed. Every one. It wouldn't have mattered too much whether it was Gatewood or Nix. 

28 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

I think you are overthinking this one. After Marshall, just look at the development of every single QB we have signed. Every one. It wouldn't have mattered too much whether it was Gatewood or Nix. 

malik willis says hello

34 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I want to ask and maybe posit a theory, was it a political decision to Start Bo last year over Gatewood and if so, was he approached by the PTB to do so?

If the QB battle was as close as they made it seem, I can't imagine there being such a drop off in Bo's play unless Gatewood was literally trash, which we have conflicting reports to that. It just doesn't make much sense to start a TF over an older player unless that TF was blowing the doors off the competition from day one. Another issue is that Gatewood is a Malzahn System QB. Cam Newton lite, so if you had an older guy that fit your system and was neck and neck with the newcomer, why did you tank your depth by running him off except for politics?? 

Well I'm sure you are talky wanting to hear from other people as you know I said there was something funny. Just the reports you heard from the team you could easily see that from what they saw they felt like JG should be starting. Then the reasons of why they said Bo won the job, coaches son, accurate, understands the game, accurate, good decision maker, fundamentals, etc.....these are all things Bo actually struggles with.....so if it was a close battle and Bo doesn't do most of the stuff they thought he did.......who is really the better QB? What many on here loved to say and was very quick to say it was how he would break every record here and how he was destined for this, bleeds o&b, and would be the greatest QB here ever.....seemed like people wrote the story before actually watching him play. 

41 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Consider that if Joey was all that, the starter at UK ain't exactly Patrick Mahomes.  He not only didn't beat him out, he's barely playing.

17 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

malik willis says hello

Huh? Malik Willis makes my point along with every other QB we've signed. No one gets better after setting foot on AU's campus. 

2 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Huh? Malik Willis makes my point along with every other QB we've signed. No one gets better after setting foot on AU's campus. 

my bad! agree, brady would look bad under Gus.

Go find some Kentucky fans somewhere, someone who is serious about football, and ask them about Joey Gatewood. They haven't said anything super positive. Kentucky's starting QB isn't even that good, and he's behind him on the depth chart.

Most teams that were recruiting Gatewood didn't even want him at QB.

Let's just tell it like it is, the only reason this kid ever got so hyped up was because he resembled Cam Newton. Not because of anything he ever did on the field (although his Oregon TD was pretty sweet).

If anyone here thinks that playing Joey Gatewood would have made a lick of difference, you've lost your damn mind. That's not a knock on Joey, nor an endorsement of Bo. It's an indictment against Gus. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

If anyone here thinks that playing Joey Gatewood would have made a lick of difference, you've lost your damn mind. That's not a knock on Joey, nor an endorsement of Bo. It's an indictment against Gus. 

Indictment is exactly the word I used when the Pats drafted Stidham, despite the dismal 2018 season. They basically said we think this could be a good player, if he had some good coaching. 

I think if there were any ulterior motive behind starting Nix over Hardwood it would be the benefit of the doubt. Gus came into 2019 on a warm seat and starting a true freshman possibly gives him a scapegoat to sacrifice.

That said, some things aren't as one-dimensional as they seem.

JG wasn't recruited as a qb seriously from any other sec school. Wasn't a full time qb in high school. He's a back up to a qb that can't throw at Kentucky team that we beat. 

Not many bright spots on this team right now and that falls on Gustav

8 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I think if there were any ulterior motive behind starting Nix over Hardwood it would be the benefit of the doubt. Gus came into 2019 on a warm seat and starting a true freshman possibly gives him a scapegoat to sacrifice.

That said, some things aren't as one-dimensional as they seem.

I disagree even on that possible motive- Gus's seat was very hot after 2018 and he did not have the luxury of playing favorites. He needed someone to win games immediately (hence courting Jalen Hurts and other transfers for 19) and he picked the one he thought was better. 

Politics are sadly in every setting to an extent, but i believe Gatewood would be QB1 At auburn if coaches thought he gave them the best chance to win. No conspiracy theory there tho.  I wish he stayed at AU and he’d almost certainly be getting reps this year with the play of Bo being what it has.  

I've seen too much smoke on Twitter not to think it's politics. From former players no less. Bo = Sean White 2.0 was one remark, JG should have been playing.

If you've got 2 QB with different skill sets, you take the one that fits your scheme. Gus didn't. No other reason but support from behind the curtain and today you saw what that is doing to the team.

8 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Consider that if Joey was all that, the starter at UK ain't exactly Patrick Mahomes.  He not only didn't beat him out, he's barely playing.

If I'm a coach, that's just good roster management. 

The opposite of what we did at Auburn. You have to think that if the team is more comfortable with a certain starter, and he has done nothing to lose the job, and is older, you don't take the role from him on the promise of potential in the younger guy.

That is just asking to

1. Destroy your QB depth because with the transfer portal, usually the other guy will transfer if he has eligibility left. 

2. Split and divide the locker room heavily. 

3. Kill the veterans confidence and make you unable to rely on them again if the new guy tanks. 

This is the strategy employed in the NFL all the time and it's no different here. Except it was in the case of Bo Nix v. Gatewood. 

Even Cam Newton was the backup behind Tim Tebow back in Florida, granted there is a year's difference between that Cam and the Cam we got when he came here..... The fact remains, starting rarely is an indicator of how players will play if they have entirely different styles from the starter. Terry is the starter because he in the incumbent. Gatewood has the possible future. Don't kill the present to usher in the future prematurely. 

14 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

If I'm a coach, that's just good roster management. 

The opposite of what we did at Auburn. You have to think that if the team is more comfortable with a certain starter, and he has done nothing to lose the job, and is older, you don't take the role from him on the promise of potential in the younger guy.

That is just asking to

1. Destroy your QB depth because with the transfer portal, usually the other guy will transfer if he has eligibility left. 

2. Split and divide the locker room heavily. 

3. Kill the veterans confidence and make you unable to rely on them again if the new guy tanks. 

This is the strategy employed in the NFL all the time and it's no different here. Except it was in the case of Bo Nix v. Gatewood. 

Even Cam Newton was the backup behind Tim Tebow back in Florida, granted there is a year's difference between that Cam and the Cam we got when he came here..... The fact remains, starting rarely is an indicator of how players will play if they have entirely different styles from the starter. Terry is the starter because he in the incumbent. Gatewood has the possible future. Don't kill the present to usher in the future prematurely. 

It could be good roster management.  Or it could just be an acknowledgement of the reality that Joey Gatewood isn't ready to be an SEC starting QB anywhere.  He wasn't one here, he isn't one at Kentucky.

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It could be good roster management.  Or it could just be an acknowledgement of the reality that Joey Gatewood isn't ready to be an SEC starting QB anywhere.  He wasn't one here, he isn't one at Kentucky.

I admit to being a backup QB fan when the starter isn't getting it done but I liked what I heard about Joey from a leadership standpoint. He may flop at QB but if Stoops doesn't play him then I'll accept it. Gus has messed up the QB position most of his tenure and I just don't trust his decision making ability with that position. 

Did politics maybe put a little pressure on Gussy to start Nix? Maybe. Was Gatewood really clearly better to Gus and Nix was named the starter anyway? No, get your heads outta your asses. Gus may be a goober and mostly clueless, but he does want to win. Some poster in this thread said it best...Gatewood was only hyped up so much because of the Cam comparisons. He didnt start in highschool and hes not starting at Kentucky. I got roasted by some homer on this board for saying that awhile back...lol. 

And I dont know why people want Freeze so much. To me, hes in the same class as Gus, The Pirate Leach, and all coaches who are spread offense gurus. These field inconsistent offenses and are not known for developing physical teams. To me, we need a coach who will IMMEDIATELY emphasize and deliver on beefing up both lines and incorporate an offense that fields both spread and power concepts. Legit use of route combinations to get guys open. And very important, consistently recruit and develop QBs who can read defenses and find the open guy. 

9 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Did politics maybe put a little pressure on Gussy to start Nix? Maybe. Was Gatewood really clearly better to Gus and Nix was named the starter anyway? No, get your heads outta your asses. Gus may be a goober and mostly clueless, but he does want to win. Some poster in this thread said it best...Gatewood was only hyped up so much because of the Cam comparisons. He didnt start in highschool and hes not starting at Kentucky. I got roasted by some homer on this board for saying that awhile back...lol. 

And I dont know why people want Freeze so much. To me, hes in the same class as Gus, The Pirate Leach, and all coaches who are spread offense gurus. These field inconsistent offenses and are not known for developing physical teams. To me, we need a coach who will IMMEDIATELY emphasize and deliver on beefing up both lines and incorporate an offense that fields both spread and power concepts. Legit use of route combinations to get guys open. And very important, consistently recruit and develop QBs who can read defenses and find the open guy. 

Agree with this.   With the next coach,  I don’t want six degrees, I want 12 degrees of separation from Gus.   

It is futile to argue about Gus’s QB decisions. Every QB he coached has regressed or not lived up to their potential. He has a quirky paranoid personality and imposes it on his players and assistants. Even in his best years offensively, roster mismanagement is pervasive and costs us dearly. It is past time for Gus to go bye-bye. The cost of keeping him is officially greater than the cost of replacing him. 

Archived