Conspiracy Time: Did Gus Play Politics?

Malcolm_FleX48

12 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Did politics maybe put a little pressure on Gussy to start Nix? Maybe. Was Gatewood really clearly better to Gus and Nix was named the starter anyway? No, get your heads outta your asses. Gus may be a goober and mostly clueless, but he does want to win. Some poster in this thread said it best...Gatewood was only hyped up so much because of the Cam comparisons. He didnt start in highschool and hes not starting at Kentucky. I got roasted by some homer on this board for saying that awhile back...lol. 

And I dont know why people want Freeze so much. To me, hes in the same class as Gus, The Pirate Leach, and all coaches who are spread offense gurus. These field inconsistent offenses and are not known for developing physical teams. To me, we need a coach who will IMMEDIATELY emphasize and deliver on beefing up both lines and incorporate an offense that fields both spread and power concepts. Legit use of route combinations to get guys open. And very important, consistently recruit and develop QBs who can read defenses and find the open guy. 

While I agreed with everything you said, the few coaches in the NCAA that have proven they can do this would not come to Auburn. So we would have to guess who might be the next coach capable of doing this. That’s not easy. Besides...I think we’re stuck with Gus for at least one more year. 

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Nick Marshall is the only one I have seen get better from year 1 to year 2 and I know that is because Nick Marshall was the bawest of all baws not because of Gus.

I thought Gus did a good job with Cam. But...yeah...Cam and Nick. Otherwise QB development in general has been poor

Bo was “the next big thing”last year starting 5-0.  Florida game he didn’t play well and didn’t get benched.  LSU game wasn’t impressive either and didn’t get benched.  Gateway got in his feelings and quit mid season.  He had a few solid packages for him that produced some decent results.  

This isn’t a conspiracy dudes.  Don’t kid yourselves.

i wish he stayed and was currently on roster personally.  Bo Nix is trending in the wrong direction.  

On 10/17/2020 at 8:58 PM, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I want to ask and maybe posit a theory, was it a political decision to Start Bo last year over Gatewood and if so, was he approached by the PTB to do so?

If the QB battle was as close as they made it seem, I can't imagine there being such a drop off in Bo's play unless Gatewood was literally trash, which we have conflicting reports to that. It just doesn't make much sense to start a TF over an older player unless that TF was blowing the doors off the competition from day one. Another issue is that Gatewood is a Malzahn System QB. Cam Newton lite, so if you had an older guy that fit your system and was neck and neck with the newcomer, why did you tank your depth by running him off except for politics?? 

Quite simply put if BOs last name wasn't Nix he wouldn't be on the team much less starting. But it gets even sadder as shorter, skinnier, and slower Caleb Nix is our next QB.

5 hours ago, countoff said:

I thought Gus did a good job with Cam. But...yeah...Cam and Nick. Otherwise QB development in general has been poor

Cam won in spite of Chiz and Gus.

10 hours ago, Amwest20 said:

Bo was “the next big thing”last year starting 5-0.  Florida game he didn’t play well and didn’t get benched.  LSU game wasn’t impressive either and didn’t get benched.  Gateway got in his feelings and quit mid season.  He had a few solid packages for him that produced some decent results.  

This isn’t a conspiracy dudes.  Don’t kid yourselves.

i wish he stayed and was currently on roster personally.  Bo Nix is trending in the wrong direction.  

What package? He was supposed to be wildcat QB and when it appeared they even practiced this Gus embarassed the kid by yanking him back to the sideline when he was running onto the field and berating him vs UF and put Boobie as wildcat QB for the play. 

And the Oregon TD? There was an injury on the prior play which allowed him to go in. 

I have no doubt Joey practiced in these roles. But I have serious doubts Gus had any real intention of playing him. And now look at us. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

What package? He was supposed to be wildcat QB and when it appeared they even practiced this Gus embarassed the kid by yanking him back to the sideline when he was running onto the field and berating him vs UF and put Boobie as wildcat QB for the play. 

And the Oregon TD? There was an injury on the prior play which allowed him to go in. 

I have no doubt Joey practiced in these roles. But I have serious doubts Gus had any real intention of playing him. And now look at us. 

Yea i was referring to the wildcat.  I didn’t go back and watch the film from last year and count how many plays he made but I do recall the Oregon td. 

I just refuse to embrace the conspiracy.   

im totally open to embrace the possibility that we picked the wrong QB.

On 10/17/2020 at 10:18 PM, Barnacle said:

If anyone here thinks that playing Joey Gatewood would have made a lick of difference, you've lost your damn mind. That's not a knock on Joey, nor an endorsement of Bo. It's an indictment against Gus. 

I think this sums up everything that needs to be said on the subject!   All of the whining about QBs is completely pointless.  The problem is with the HC!

14 hours ago, countoff said:

That is because he didn't have time to regress Cam. One year and it took him 5 weeks to learn what he had. 

I can't phrase a new thought on this topic, so I'll just restate

still VERY interesting how Joey looked so good in spring ball, clear leader, etc. Then he turns into s*** in fall. Everyone in the locker room seemed to be operating under the notion that he was the best QB on the roster until Gus said otherwise...It's also just so un-Gus like. Gus literally never did what he did before! and other than 2018, I don't think he's ever stuck with one consistently meh QB here at Auburn. 

IDK what it was, but it has definitely created a lack of accountability for Bo

On 10/17/2020 at 10:01 PM, copper4eva said:

Go find some Kentucky fans somewhere, someone who is serious about football, and ask them about Joey Gatewood. They haven't said anything super positive. Kentucky's starting QB isn't even that good, and he's behind him on the depth chart.

Most teams that were recruiting Gatewood didn't even want him at QB.

Let's just tell it like it is, the only reason this kid ever got so hyped up was because he resembled Cam Newton. Not because of anything he ever did on the field (although his Oregon TD was pretty sweet).

took like 3 seconds lol

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I can't phrase a new thought on this topic, so I'll just restate

still VERY interesting how Joey looked so good in spring ball, clear leader, etc. Then he turns into s*** in fall. Everyone in the locker room seemed to be operating under the notion that he was the best QB on the roster until Gus said otherwise...It's also just so un-Gus like. Gus literally never did what he did before! and other than 2018, I don't think he's ever stuck with one consistently meh QB here at Auburn. 

IDK what it was, but it has definitely created a lack of accountability for Bo

Did he turn into crap during the fall? I don't remember reading those reports, but that could easily be my memory failing. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

Did he turn into crap during the fall? I don't remember reading those reports, but that could easily be my memory failing. 

there were reports that the majority of picks that were occurring came from him and that Bo was doing far better throwing the ball (remember, no running or live action!!!!!!!!!!!). Hard to really know the validity of any of em, but I tend to think most reports that leak when it comes to Auburn's passing games tend to fit some agenda. Think TEs in 2020...

Has Gatewood played any at UK?  Outside of some garbage time games against lesser opponents we haven’t really seen Gatewood to make any sort of comparison?  

2 hours ago, copper4eva said:

Right cause twitter is always a safe haven for solid and sound opinions.

Making some nonsense about UK fans not believing in him when that can easily be disproved with a 10 second search << 

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Has Gatewood played any at UK?  Outside of some garbage time games against lesser opponents we haven’t really seen Gatewood to make any sort of comparison?  

No, we haven't. Seems like he got first reps against Tenn based on what I saw searching his name earlier. Guy got put behind due to eligibility and probably wasn't in serious consideration for the starting job this year (some people would have you believe that automatically means he's bad, as if some of those same people don't follow Auburn football where undeserved individuals keep their starting job as well..), but there's not really much of a conclusion we can make about him yet

Gatewood got the start for Kentucky. He's 0 for 2 and 3 carries for 6 yards in the first half.

Gatewood is a great kid, but he should've switched to TE, which is where a lot of schools wanted him. The man is not a QB.

On 10/19/2020 at 11:34 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

took like 3 seconds lol

But hey, some dude on twitter said he's good.

37 minutes ago, copper4eva said:

Gatewood got the start for Kentucky. He's 0 for 2 and 3 carries for 6 yards in the first half.

Gatewood is a great kid, but he should've switched to TE, which is where a lot of schools wanted him. The man is not a QB.

Awful small sample size to be reaching these kind of conclusions, don't ya think?

Just now, CleCoTiger said:

Awful small sample size to be reaching these kind of conclusions, don't ya think?

I feel bad for Gatewood. If people stopped making excuses for him and convincing him he's secretly a really good quarterback he'd probably be dominating as a TE right now somewhere.

It's all small sample size. But the entire sample is bad. And no coordinator is gonna let him throw it 10+ times if he isn't successful with fewer throws.

1 hour ago, copper4eva said:

But hey, some dude on twitter said he's good.

He didn't start. He came in for a series but you sure don't want him to succeed, that's clear, it's also clear the random guys on Twitter is more accurate with info than you

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

He didn't start. He came in for a series but you sure don't want him to succeed, that's clear, it's also clear the random guys on Twitter is more accurate with info than you

No it's clear that I believe he won't succeed at QB. If he proves me wrong then cool. But I will admit I don't believe he will.

He should switch positions. He would do better at TE.

I didn't watch the start of the Kentucky game. I thought he had gotten the start.

29 minutes ago, copper4eva said:

No it's clear that I believe he won't succeed at QB. If he proves me wrong then cool. But I will admit I don't believe he will.

I didn't watch the start of the Kentucky game. I thought he had gotten the start.

This sounds awfully similar to the rhetoric around Lamar Jackson near the end of his Freshman season. 

Also, similar to what some fans were saying about Malik Willis.

33 minutes ago, copper4eva said:

Yeah unfortunately that's what many get from people for no reason at all. Guys like bo get every benefit in the world but others like jg get the he has 4 throws and he needs 3td's or he isn't a QB......

Just food for thought, if Gus said Willis wasn’t good enough to play at Auburn and he is the one making the decisions??? It should tell you everything about Gus.   He doesn’t recognize talent.  And worse, he can’t coach it!!!

1 hour ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

This sounds awfully similar to the rhetoric around Lamar Jackson near the end of his Freshman season. 

Also, similar to what some fans were saying about Malik Willis.

So happy Malik is doing so well. I am rooting for him.

Archived