Conspiracy Time: Did Gus Play Politics?

Malcolm_FleX48

To me to say he's not playing at Kentucky he's not a QB doesn't make sense. They didn't know if he was going to eligible so the other guy gets to play and the other guy hasn't played bad. What the Madden players don't understand is what you show matters. It's not a video game you just don't get rid of players on a feeling. And you don't get rid of guys that perform. LOL people would rather die before they want that kid to do well. Here Gus has this us at a complete joke but the best you got is Gus didn't think he was good! Lol. Yeah all those QB's couldn't play qb......But Bo is always different Bo is being held back

But that's hilarious the other guy has played well but he sucks Bo hasnt played well but everybody can see his potential it's Gus.......But either way JG is better built for this cluster here.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

If I'm a coach, that's just good roster management. 

The opposite of what we did at Auburn. You have to think that if the team is more comfortable with a certain starter, and he has done nothing to lose the job, and is older, you don't take the role from him on the promise of potential in the younger guy.

That is just asking to

1. Destroy your QB depth because with the transfer portal, usually the other guy will transfer if he has eligibility left. 

2. Split and divide the locker room heavily. 

3. Kill the veterans confidence and make you unable to rely on them again if the new guy tanks. 

This is the strategy employed in the NFL all the time and it's no different here. Except it was in the case of Bo Nix v. Gatewood. 

Even Cam Newton was the backup behind Tim Tebow back in Florida, granted there is a year's difference between that Cam and the Cam we got when he came here..... The fact remains, starting rarely is an indicator of how players will play if they have entirely different styles from the starter. Terry is the starter because he in the incumbent. Gatewood has the possible future. Don't kill the present to usher in the future prematurely. 

This could actually be an interesting convo and the convo on how he could make a difference could be interesting as well but this is the wrong board for it lol. You'd need a bunch of objective people

10 hours ago, Barnacle said:

If anyone here thinks that playing Joey Gatewood would have made a lick of difference, you've lost your damn mind. That's not a knock on Joey, nor an endorsement of Bo. It's an indictment against Gus. 

That may be but it may not be I can formulate many reasons of why it could be a little different and from that we probably don't be Georgia but I can make a case to we look better at arky and don't lose to South C. And I can make this argument off football strategy and look past a remedial he doesn't start over there he's not a QB!

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That may be but it may not be I can formulate many reasons of why it could be a little different and from that we probably don't be Georgia but I can make a case to we look better at arky and don't lose to South C. And I can make this argument off football strategy and look past a remedial he doesn't start over there he's not a QB!

Who knows? My point is just that it doesn't matter who we are playing at QB, Gus isn't the guy. 

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

I admit to being a backup QB fan when the starter isn't getting it done but I liked what I heard about Joey from a leadership standpoint. He may flop at QB but if Stoops doesn't play him then I'll accept it. Gus has messed up the QB position most of his tenure and I just don't trust his decision making ability with that position. 

Saying he’s not ready to be an SEC starting QB right now isn’t to say he won’t be next year or the year after that. It’s also not a knock on his personal character or leadership ability. It’s just a statement on his readiness to be QB1 in this league. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Who knows? My point is just that it doesn't matter who we are playing at QB, Gus isn't the guy. 

I understand that and many people agree and I don't think too many disagree but the thread was about that and it would take someone to see past the basics and not be emotional and remain objective. And that's what I'm saying

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Saying he’s not ready to be an SEC starting QB right now isn’t to say he won’t be next year or the year after that. It’s also not a knock on his personal character or leadership ability. It’s just a statement on his readiness to be QB1 in this league. 

That's not anything we know, actually then maybe Bo isn't ready right now either though if we just look at the surface

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's not anything we know, actually then maybe Bo isn't ready right now either though if we just look at the surface

Maybe not. I wasn’t saying I know it to be true. But I think the fact that he didn’t come into a QB situation at UK where they hardly have a world beater under center and make any serious push to start or split time should be a clue. 

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Maybe not. I wasn’t saying I know it to be true. But I think the fact that he didn’t come into a QB situation at UK where they hardly have a world beater under center and make any serious push to start or split time should be a clue. 

He may split time but no you don't make a change when a guy accuracy is at a 80% clip. And no int's.  That's just good coaching. You don't mess stuff up just because.....that's actually something we'd do......unless there was an actual battle going on....then Gus would DEFINITELY play just one guy

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He may split time but no you don't make a change when a guy accuracy is at a 80% clip. And no int's.  That's just good coaching. You don't mess stuff up just because.....that's actually something we'd do......unless there was an actual battle going on....then Gus would DEFINITELY play just one guy

Maybe not. All I’m saying is that pointing to the Gatewood/Nix decision as possible politics isn’t based in very much substance. It’s just as reasonable to simply say that despite Nix’s struggles, Gatewood simply wasn’t good enough last year to take the job as it is to speculate Gus gave in to some political pressure. 

12 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I want to ask and maybe posit a theory, was it a political decision to Start Bo last year over Gatewood and if so, was he approached by the PTB to do so?

If the QB battle was as close as they made it seem, I can't imagine there being such a drop off in Bo's play unless Gatewood was literally trash, which we have conflicting reports to that. It just doesn't make much sense to start a TF over an older player unless that TF was blowing the doors off the competition from day one. Another issue is that Gatewood is a Malzahn System QB. Cam Newton lite, so if you had an older guy that fit your system and was neck and neck with the newcomer, why did you tank your depth by running him off except for politics?? 

It's a good question. I don't understand Malzahn's reluctance to give Gatewood any real chances in actual games to QB any real drives. Certainly there were ample opportunities, as there were for Willis when Stidham was the starter.  No backup player on offense ever really gets meaningful reps under Gus for some reason until there are injuries that force the issue. 

Heck, what if guys like Willis, Queen, Barrett, Gatewood, and there have been others...(perhaps now Loy, Sanberg) don't work out at Auburn AND don't become starters anywhere else? Does it indicate we are that bad at QB talent recognition/recruiting or just QB development? Perhaps it's a big YES on both. 

7 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Maybe not. All I’m saying is that pointing to the Gatewood/Nix decision as possible politics isn’t based in very much substance. It’s just as reasonable to simply say that despite Nix’s struggles, Gatewood simply wasn’t good enough last year to take the job as it is to speculate Gus gave in to some political pressure. 

Sadly, because of the circumstances, we don't even have a sample size to go off of and evaluate this. Like Johnny said, it's like he made a consorted effort not to play him or evaluate. Normally game 1 is the game of a QB battle, but we didn't even get an evaluation drive. 

That's what smacks of politics for me. 

18 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

I disagree even on that possible motive- Gus's seat was very hot after 2018 and he did not have the luxury of playing favorites. He needed someone to win games immediately (hence courting Jalen Hurts and other transfers for 19) and he picked the one he thought was better. 

I agree with this 100%

20 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I want to ask and maybe posit a theory, was it a political decision to Start Bo last year over Gatewood and if so, was he approached by the PTB to do so?

If the QB battle was as close as they made it seem, I can't imagine there being such a drop off in Bo's play unless Gatewood was literally trash, which we have conflicting reports to that. It just doesn't make much sense to start a TF over an older player unless that TF was blowing the doors off the competition from day one. Another issue is that Gatewood is a Malzahn System QB. Cam Newton lite, so if you had an older guy that fit your system and was neck and neck with the newcomer, why did you tank your depth by running him off except for politics?? 

Joey would look similar if he were still here. In 8 years, Malzahn has never taken a QB recruited out of HS and made them into a success. Sean White was his best work. Think about that.

18 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I've seen too much smoke on Twitter not to think it's politics. From former players no less. Bo = Sean White 2.0 was one remark, JG should have been playing.

If you've got 2 QB with different skill sets, you take the one that fits your scheme. Gus didn't. No other reason but support from behind the curtain and today you saw what that is doing to the team.

EXACTLY. Clearly something went on but these guys that are so sure it's nothing are the same guys that were arguing with me on literally everything about Bo every step of the way and they haven't been objective or right yet. So that makes me feel like what I'm saying is right even more so

I think a great question is why did so many run to crown him without him proving much

Just now, AUght2win said:

Joey would look similar if he were still here. In 8 years, Malzahn has never taken a QB recruited out of HS and made them into a success. Sean White was his best work. Think about that.

Nick Marshall is the only one I have seen get better from year 1 to year 2 and I know that is because Nick Marshall was the bawest of all baws not because of Gus.

13 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Sadly, because of the circumstances, we don't even have a sample size to go off of and evaluate this. Like Johnny said, it's like he made a consorted effort not to play him or evaluate. Normally game 1 is the game of a QB battle, but we didn't even get an evaluation drive. 

That's what smacks of politics for me. 

While I can't say for sure whether "politics" is the reason for Malzahn's questionable roster moves wrt to QB choices either in the Nix/Gatewood decision or, any other in past years, there is another possible explanation -- maybe he just doesn't know what he's doing?  

8 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Well you see there is a bunch of stuff that's funny that could be looked at that could make you scratch your head. All that would take is a convo. What's really doesn't make too much sense at least to me is to want to shut down a convo and simply try to stand on a shaky foundation

9 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

It is futile to argue about Gus’s QB decisions. Every QB he coached has regressed or not lived up to their potential. He has a quirky paranoid personality and imposes it on his players and assistants. Even in his best years offensively, roster mismanagement is pervasive and costs us dearly. It is past time for Gus to go bye-bye. The cost of keeping him is officially greater than the cost of replacing him. 

6 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

While I can't say for sure whether "politics" is the reason for Malzahn's questionable roster moves wrt to QB choices either in the Nix/Gatewood decision or, any other in past years, there is another possible explanation -- maybe he just doesn't know what he's doing?  

I think that right now, most of us are doing just about anything with in our power to avoid saying that... 

That would be the WORST CASE scenario if all of this happened in complete error. 

3 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I think that right now, most of us are doing just about anything with in our power to avoid saying that... 

That would be the WORST CASE scenario if all of this happened in complete error. 

I have no reservations about thinking, saying or posting that.  it's time for a change.  

18 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Bingo

UWhy didn’t Gus pull Bo and insert JG last year In the Fla game. Stubbornness or Political or both ? Joey essentially got no chance so no knows what he could have done .However , like others have noted QB development under GM has not ever been observed.Ofcourse,this is all on the head coach not the the amateur players. 

My honest answer? I don’t think politics played into it at all. I thing Bo checked off more of Gus’ predetermined play boxes in his game plan that Joey did.

I don’t think he game plans with any kind of emotion or influence. I think it’s strictly “Gus-a-lytics”

Archived