The Jalen Hurts Offense

AUght2win

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Let's be honest this isn't the brightest thread. Not trying to diss but Bo doesn't have hurts skill set at all. He played a good game and now he's more talented than heisman players and such

The threads are so Helter Skelter week to week and it is about as predictable of the trajectory of Gus. Watch after this weekend game. I am already on record saying I am circling this game because the talent level is on par. I am not giving kudos to Gus for beating a bad ole miss team. Things won’t come as easy as they did last week and then we will see if this team has made strides. I am not as optimistic since it took a late TD to overcome this ole miss squad.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Yep I agree.. You can tell the guys that have that arm strength.. the ball just comes out flawlessly with no effort. Dan Marino, Doug Williams, Bret Favre to name a few. Talking about Jalen Hurts, he and Bo are 2 different styles.. there is no comparison. 

Side note: Could you imagine Randall Cunningham playing in one of these modern offenses?!?

Full disclosure, I initially posted this with a Donovan McNabb gif. The play looked like one I remembered from Cunningham back in the day. I deleted it real fast, but I think @DAG might've seen it... anyways... look up Randall Cunningham clips if you get bored. One of the great freak athletes to ever play the sport.

3 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

Bo's problem is not only arm strength or accuracy. It's also his decision making. The last TD against ole Miss he threw into double coverage. That long pass that Seth pulled out of the air was a desperation heave across his body to Swartz that was grossly underthrown. 

If we are going to get better then Bo has to make better decisions. The game plan is decent. If ole miss had better DB's then we would have lost that game.

I agree. His decision making is very poor. He was once again bailed out by Seth on a bad decision underthrow to Anthony who was open in the end zone. 
The game is so fast for him right now that he panics. When he is calm and sets his feet, he can be very accurate. it is like he needs a shot of whiskey or something to calm his nerves. 
So the coaches are trying to compensate for this shortcoming. Part of the game plan this past game was to get the ball out of his hands quickly by throwing WR screens - a TON of them. I was surprised that Ole Miss never really accounted for that play after we ran it over and over and over. 
There are 2 plays there were Very good by Bo - one the slant over the middle to seth and the pass to the TE that broke open late. 

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

The threads are so Helter Skelter week to week and it is about as predictable of the trajectory of Gus. Watch after this weekend game. I am already on record saying I am circling this game because the talent level is on par. I am not giving kudos to Gus for beating a bad ole miss team. Things won’t come as easy as they did last week and then we will see if this team has made strides. I am not as optimistic since it took a late TD to overcome this ole miss squad.

Is it crazy that I would've been more comfortable with a 56-49 score line than what we got? 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Is it crazy that I would've been more comfortable with a 56-49 score line than what we got? 

Not crazy at all actually. At the least it would've showed an explosive offense and although the defense has been struggling mightily, it has been that way across the board in the NCAA.

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

That was a 20 yard throw....it was a good throw, I know it's your go to but there are a bunch of better throws he's actually made, and that throw could be an argument for accuracy but does nothing to say Bo has a very strong arm and hurts does not. There's much more film saying the opposite tbh

I have more than one go-to. This is 55 yards in the air. He can chuck it. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Let's be honest this isn't the brightest thread. Not trying to diss but Bo doesn't have hurts skill set at all. He played a good game and now he's more talented than heisman players and such

Lol Jalen Hurts was a Heisman player? Is there a different Jalen Hurts out there or? There's a reason Philly fans were livid they took him in the 2nd round.

My belief - Bo isn't better than Hurts (never said he was) and Hurts was never that good. He threw screens and ran QB zones on 2 teams full of 5 stars. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Side note: Could you imagine Randall Cunningham playing in one of these modern offenses?!?

Full disclosure, I initially posted this with a Donovan McNabb gif. The play looked like one I remembered from Cunningham back in the day. I deleted it real fast, but I think @DAG might've seen it... anyways... look up Randall Cunningham clips if you get bored. One of the great freak athletes to ever play the sport.

YES was a big fan of Cunningham.. he was playing way before his time.. can’t imagine what he would look like today..

had to edit this... because Mike Vick.. don’t forget Mick Vick and that arm. 

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I have more than one go-to. This is 55 yards in the air. He can chuck it. 

I don't know what you think that showed. That's a throw every QB playing D1 can make. I could post hurts throwing  74 yard pass. 

Once again it's not that Bo can't throw a football but he's ok at it. Certainly not the type of arm to say he has all this potential and this proven guy doesn't

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Lol Jalen Hurts was a Heisman player? Is there a different Jalen Hurts out there or? There's a reason Philly fans were livid they took him in the 2nd round.

My belief - Bo isn't better than Hurts (never said he was) and Hurts was never that good. He threw screens and ran QB zones on a team full of 5 stars. 

Lol yes he was in top consideration for heisman. And if they were livid it was because they already had a QB and what they went through with splitting the team with the other QB controversy they had. 

Hilarious you'd say he's not good but you try to make Bo be the greatest QB auburn has ever had. 

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

I agree. His decision making is very poor. He was once again bailed out by Seth on a bad decision underthrow to Anthony who was open in the end zone. 
The game is so fast for him right now that he panics. When he is calm and sets his feet, he can be very accurate. it is like he needs a shot of whiskey or something to calm his nerves. 
So the coaches are trying to compensate for this shortcoming. Part of the game plan this past game was to get the ball out of his hands quickly by throwing WR screens - a TON of them. I was surprised that Ole Miss never really accounted for that play after we ran it over and over and over. 
There are 2 plays there were Very good by Bo - one the slant over the middle to seth and the pass to the TE that broke open late. 

The problem with Nix is.. he shows potential in flashes.. consistency is not there and never will be under Gus. I think we can all wonder what he would look like in a different offense with a different coach and someone who could work with him on fundamentals.. maybe he has it ..maybe he doesn’t..

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Well these type of threads is what causes all the controversy. A person like this going so off base with praise for Bo that when you correct them now you're a hater or whatever. All the embellishments for the most mundane things just start stuff up

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Is lying a hobby or a reflex for ya?

Nobody on here can call me a liar......but this is probably what you wanted you're a gag poster I guess. Not to be taken seriously

Just now, cole256 said:

Nobody on here can call me a liar......but this is probably what you wanted you're a gag poster I guess. Not to be taken seriously

Well I certainly can. I never once said Bo was better than Hurts. And I have spent the last week flatly criticizing Bo. You are either a liar or a guy who can't debate without strawmaning. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Well I certainly can. I never once said Bo was better than Hurts. And I have spent the last week flatly criticizing Bo. You are either a liar or a guy who can't debate without strawmaning. 

Did I say you said that? What's hilarious you still try to argue with me when I destroy you in debates. Nobody takes you serious. Everybody in this thread came in to say this was a dumb comparison. So you try to start some other argument and try to deflect. People aren't stupid everybody can see what you are doing

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Post those criticisms liar

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

In between 3 defenders . That was a tight throw from that deep.

I don't even know why I just argued with this guy. He's not even good at what he's trying to do. He called me a liar because he never said jalen was better than Bo....(which I didn't say he said because I could already see what he was trying to do) yet he also laughed at the suggestion of hurts being a contender for the heisman which he clearly was, laughed at the thought of him throwing a ball 74 yards which he did easy, said all he did was throw screens and balls to 5 stars, and lastly just said he wasn't good and used the fact that he was drafted in the 2nd roundas proof that he wasn't good....

But Im a liar because he doesn't think Bo is better....😱

He's a Mikey without the talent. What am I doing?

In fairness, we have two 55 yard throws (actually Hurts' was 50) in this thread. Neither guy is elite in his arm strength. Both of those throws show plenty adequate arm strength to get the job done. Bottom line is, these cats aren't a great comparison to each other - mostly because Hurts is so much more of a weapon in the running game, and I would argue, in his ability to extend plays in the passing game. 

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

In fairness, we have two 55 yard throws (actually Hurts' was 50) in this thread. Neither guy is elite in his arm strength. Both of those throws show plenty adequate arm strength to get the job done. Bottom line is, these cats aren't a great comparison to each other - mostly because Hurts is so much more of a weapon in the running game, and I would argue, in his ability to extend plays in the passing game. 

I obviously think the comparison is decent. It isn't 1 to 1, of course. But Hurts was a very limited passer with a big arm and was a run threat. I believe Bo fits that bill, but we haven't used him on enough designed runs to tell just how good he could be. 

Hurts was a power runner. Very similar to Tebow. Bo won't be that but I think he could be a runner in the style of say, Baker Mayfield. 

59 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So stupid

Absolutely wonderful. Thank you for putting a bow on this. What a great example of what you do.

**CONVO ON ARM STRENGTH**

Cole: Bo's arm isn't that great.

Me: Check out this highlight demonstrating arm strength.

Cole: That's just 20 yards.

Me: Okay. Check out this 55 yard throw **in the air**.

Cole: Anybody could do that. Jalen threw a 74 yarder.

Cole: *posts video of Jalen throwing a ball 52 yards in the air, with 22 YAC*

Great stuff kid! Keep up the good work!!!

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I obviously think the comparison is decent. It isn't 1 to 1, of course. But Hurts was a very limited passer with a big arm and was a run threat. I believe Bo fits that bill, but we haven't used him on enough designed runs to tell just how good he could be. 

Hurts was a power runner. Very similar to Tebow. Bo won't be that but I think he could be a runner in the style of say, Baker Mayfield. 

I think Bo lacks the instinct that guys like Hurts or Mayfield have, and he doesn't have very good feet. Bo hasn't proven himself to be a playmaker in the same class as those other two quarterbacks. We are talking about two legit NFL prospects, and one absolutely legitimate NFL starter.

Archived