Anyone here got COVID or know close family that do?

DKW 86

I tested positive last week. Wife is negative. Symptoms have been like a head cold.. no fever.. no coughing. A lot of congestion and head aches, weakness.. oxygen levels are fine. Will be tested again later this week. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

The chaos is everywhere about everything related to COVID, it’s not just Florida and the vaccine.  It’s human nature to want to get what can make your life more comfortable and the supply of the item is scarce.  Also, and more to the issue, it is being run by government and they have no clue and/or don’t care about the customer experience (see the DMV).

My son went this morning to get tested as he was exposed last Monday and there is a 817 minute wait.  He was tested last week, but they can’t find the test results.

I’m sure when your time comes to get vaccinated in SC there will be a line around the block.  Let us know how that goes.  I haven’t a clue when NC will enter the phase in which I will be able to get the vaccine, but I won’t rush to get it.  I have survived so far, so I’ll just keep on keeping on.

Who - if not the government - is supposed to coordinate our response to a national pandemic? :dunno::-\

Government per se' is not the problem here, it's who is in charge of the government.

(And really, DMV? :rolleyes:   Assuming you are referring to the Department of Motor Vehicles, my wife and I got our "real IDs" a few months ago in the middle of the pandemic.  We  went on line to find out what I needed, made an appointment, showed up on time and we were processed together in a very reasonable amount of time.  It was very efficient, even with the social distancing and masks. Sorry if that's not true in your state.  If so, you should hold the people who run your state government accountable.)

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Who - if not the government - is supposed to coordinate our response to a national pandemic? :dunno::-\

Government per se' is not the problem here, it's who is in charge of the government.

(And really, DMV? :rolleyes:   Assuming you are referring to the Department of Motor Vehicles, my wife and I got our "real IDs" a few months ago in the middle of the pandemic.  We  went on line to find out what I needed, made an appointment, showed up on time and we were processed together in a very reasonable amount of time.  It was very efficient, even with the social distancing and masks. Sorry if that's not true in your state.  If so, you should hold the people who run your state government accountable.)

Of course the government is going to coordinate, but their way of doing anything is not as efficient nor caring as a private company regardless of who is in charge of the government.  Each state is responsible for their plan, if a person has an issue with their state’s plan they can grip about that to the Governor as he is in charge of distribution.  

Yes the Department of Motor Vehicles, their reputation is bad and it has come about honestly.  If it weren’t for the internet the DMV would be as horrible as it was 20 years ago.  

I agree with your last thought; you should hold the people who run your state government accountable.

22 hours ago, homersapien said:

Well, not all that "concise and impressive".:-\  They started a rush which they couldn't handle.

Don't know what your last sentence means, but I'll give you the benefit of doubt and assume you support what Romney said.

I do not support what Romney said. Re read the release and you will realize part of it  reveals a lack in thought...nothing more than a slam. 
See @I_M4_AU comments regarding the Florida rush. This has been a  good thread. Why not agree to not ruining it with another Trump argumment?

18 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Went home to Montgomery for Christmas.  Got back to Texas to find out my grandfather, mom, and aunt had all been diagnosed with Covid.  I've tested clean, but grandfather is currently in the hospital.

Seems to be an abundance of reports like yours Brad. Hope your grandfather fights through in good shape.

My wife tested positive Sunday and I started experiencing symptoms Monday. So far mild fever, dull headache and a little fatigue for both of us. Taste coming and going. My son hasn’t had any symptoms. Appreciate all the info on this thread. Prayers would be appreciated. 

I took the vaccine 14 days ago, Tuesday 12/22.  

I have had 34 consecutive negative tests since I had to start getting tested weekly for work, never tested positive.

Yesterday, I was tested for antibodies.  Test came back positive for antibodies, and was significantly high on the scale for them too. 

Second dose is next Tuesday.  I have had no side effects or any other issues after taking the first dose from Pfizer.

44 minutes ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

I took the vaccine 14 days ago, Tuesday 12/22.  

I have had 34 consecutive negative tests since I had to start getting tested weekly for work, never tested positive.

Yesterday, I was tested for antibodies.  Test came back positive for antibodies, and was significantly high on the scale for them too. 

Second dose is next Tuesday.  I have had no side effects or any other issues after taking the first dose from Pfizer.

That sounds great!

I heard the side effects are more pronounced with the second dose. (I think it was one of the reporters on PBS Newshour relating his personal experience.)

Let us know how it goes.

I am in South Carolina's priority group "1c".  They are estimating late winter/early spring before I can make an appointment.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

That sounds great!

I heard the side effects are more pronounced with the second dose. (I think it was one of the reporters on PBS Newshour relating his personal experience.)

Let us know how it goes.

I am in South Carolina's priority group "1c".  They are estimating late winter/early spring before I can make an appointment.

Yes, everything I’ve been told about side effects are after the second dose. I would rather have a day of some side effects vs being sick for a solid two weeks like my son was back in July. 

My 95 year old Mother was complaining about Chest pain on Saturday, so an ambulance took her to Hospital. Chest pain was a false alarm but she tested positive for Covid. I was in emergency room with her as we thought it might have been a heart attack when we got news it was Covid so I am in isolation now will get tested tomorrow.  Yesterday evening moms x-rays of lungs were clear no fever good oxygen levels so sent home. This morning 102+ fever so back in hospital but so far lungs are still clear. She is on oxygen but more as a precaution at this time.  

Please pray for my mother and my family.

Today is my first day back to work after having it. First symptoms were on Christmas Eve. Very thankful to have an athletic background and being young because it got in my lungs but nothing bad came of it. I had a fever off and on for about 6 days, headaches, a really sore throat (I thought it was strep throat at first), coughed up mucus, and was fatigued for about a week. It wasnt the worst thing ever by any means, but definitely not fun. But I'll never forget being face down in my hallway in worship and my fever breaking, headache going away, and cough easing all at once! It was a true healing miracle!

My cousin tested positive with it on Christmas Eve. She started to experience some pain while coughing. For days we urged her to go to the hospital and she finally went this past Saturday. She's not doing too well as she has pneumonia and is on a CPAP now to assist in breathing. Please keep her in your prayers. 

A mid-late 40s guy I work with, quite muscular but not cardio solid, had it. Had mild congestion and intestinal issues. Minor loss of smell. His wife, late 30s and 16 yo daughter who is an athlete became infected. They had severe exhaustion, body aches, and became dehydrated. His 4yo never became symptomatic. 

7 hours ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

Yes, everything I’ve been told about side effects are after the second dose. I would rather have a day of some side effects vs being sick for a solid two weeks like my son was back in July. 

Two weeks!   Yikes! :(

I had a bad case of the "regular" flu many years ago in Plantation, FL while attending my (dying) father-in-law   It was awful - lasted about 4 days, with 'Tamil Flu'  therapy.:dunno: 

Haven't skipped a flu shot since. 

Dad, mom, both of my dad's siblings and their kids, my mom's husband, my brother. 

Hell, pretty much everyone related to me except my wife and kids, but we're isolating hard with the exception of me, who has to go into dialysis clinics and hospitals for work.

7 hours ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

I got the Moderna one yesterday. Felt like a strong punch in the arm, that’s about it so far. 

30 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I got the Moderna one yesterday. Felt like a strong punch in the arm, that’s about it so far. 

My wife, an RN, took the Moderna today.  Same thing for her, arm is sore and achy.  The pfizer I took had some soreness, but nothing too bad.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 11:04 PM, j0hnnyRingo said:

My wife, an RN, took the Moderna today.  Same thing for her, arm is sore and achy.  The pfizer I took had some soreness, but nothing too bad.

1st round of Pfizer yesterday. (Tier 3 "healthcare worker"- IT.) I'm a little sluggish this morning, but that could be as much from having a 2 yr old as the vax. I'm also popping Tylenol purely as a precaution.

Have heard same as y'all about round 2, but February 4th can't get here soon enough.

My wife works in local gov't. They're trying to negotiate priority for all govvies. We're hoping they succeed. Teachers, too.

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

1st round of Pfizer yesterday. (Tier 3 "healthcare worker"- IT.) I'm a little sluggish this morning, but that could be as much from having a 2 yr old as the vax. I'm also popping Tylenol purely as a precaution.

Have heard same as y'all about round 2, but February 4th can't get here soon enough.

My wife works in local gov't. They're trying to negotiate priority for all govvies. We're hoping they succeed. Teachers, too.

I took my second Pfizer shot on Tuesday, 1/12/21.  Felt fine day of, that evening felt pretty tired and the next morning really didnt feel like getting out of bed.  After a few hours at work, I was flat out exhausted and had to lay down.  Later that evening, felt fine, cooked dinner and everything was good.

5 minutes ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

I took my second Pfizer shot on Tuesday, 1/12/21.  Felt fine day of, that evening felt pretty tired and the next morning really didnt feel like getting out of bed.  After a few hours at work, I was flat out exhausted and had to lay down.  Later that evening, felt fine, cooked dinner and everything was good.

Gonna be hilarious when my whole department gets round 2 at the same time. 

54 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gonna be hilarious when my whole department gets round 2 at the same time. 

Of my staff, roughly 43 took the second shot on Tuesday, I only had 3 call off on Wednesday.  Everyone else was similar to me, felt crappy for a few hours but nothing that didnt pass quickly.

anniston has only given shots out to the public for 76 and older and that was a little over a week ago. i am ready to get my shot if i have to buy it. if anyone knows any selling it now please give me shout

also my neighbor who is 82 just made it through covid and said it was horrible and this lady is in great shape and never gets sick.

Tested positive over Christmas.  Had an occasional mild cough, and a muted sense of taste.  Was able to keep running a daily 3-5.5 mile run the entire time.  Slowed down a bit just to ensure I didn’t overdo anything - but it wasn’t anything I would have thought twice about.  Got tested when the taste symptom started because I wanted to be sure not to pass it along to anyone else.  Although it was very mild to me, it can clearly vary from person to person.   

Best of luck to anyone that gets it. 

I went to an urgent care center last Wednesday with a few systems including sore throat, back spasms and constipation which had nothing to do with covid. 

They took an x-ray of my abdomen and sent me immediately to the main hospital for a CT scan.  I received emergency surgery that same night to remove a mass near my appendix. (Fortunately, they reattached my small intestine and saved most of my colon.)  Haven't gotten the pathology report yet, but my surgeon assumed it was cancerous. I was very, very lucky to have discovered this. I got back home yesterday and am recovering nicely. 

(Oh and I tested negative for covid.)  Meanwhile, my 70 year-old wife got her first covid vaccination dose on Sunday.

The hospital is receiving a LOT of covid patients.  They needed to move me once to make more space for them.

Sorry to hear that Homer, but glad they caught it early.

They discussed anything with regard to chemo yet pending results of the pathology report or are they assuming they got all of it and instituting heavy monitoring? They planning to check your lymph nodes? 

Archived