What a real coach looks like

WarEagle1982

I’m not sure how many saw the end of the Indiana win, but Tom Allen had a hard time completing his post game interview on the field because his players kept interrupting and telling everyone in America how great of a coach he is and how they need to come to Indiana.

I did see it. You can tell they love their coach.

Compare Bruce Pearl and Gus. Bruce is positive, upbeat, enthusiastic, passionate and energetic. I don’t see this in Gus. He looks like a condemned man waiting for his execution .

1 hour ago, WarEagle2423 said:

He’s in my top 3-5 as far as potential new  head coaches for AU go. I wanted him as our DC when we hired Steele. 

Tom Allen's record at Indiana....

2016  0-1

2017 5-7

2018 5-7

2019 8-5

2020 5-1

Is that the resume of a successful head coach or fan euphoria for having a dream season during a worldwide pandemic? Lateral move, tbh. Even Gus can pull an 8-5 out of his butt and he's playing in a better conference.

1 hour ago, murpjf88 said:

2016  0-1

2017 5-7

2018 5-7

2019 8-5

2020 5-1

Is that the resume of a successful head coach or fan euphoria for having a dream season during a worldwide pandemic? Lateral move, tbh. Even Gus can pull an 8-5 out of his butt and he's playing in a better conference.

Not arguing for Allen as our next HC but.... you realize the prior state and history of IU football, right?

1 hour ago, murpjf88 said:

2016  0-1

2017 5-7

2018 5-7

2019 8-5

2020 5-1

Indiana football and Auburn basketball, historically are pretty similar. Tom Allen so far is a miracle worker just like Bruce Pearl. 

5 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

2016  0-1

2017 5-7

2018 5-7

2019 8-5

2020 5-1

If we're now saying 8-5 at Indiana is the same as 8-5 at Auburn, then boy we've fallen well off a cliff.

And no, I don't want Allen.  But what he's accomplishing at Indiana is impressive as hell.

4 hours ago, fredst said:

Not arguing for Allen as our next HC but.... you realize the prior state and history of IU football, right?

I mean here’s the thing, if a  guy isn’t 10-2, 11-1 every year (for a potential replacement) people would have complaints. Heck I can remember in coordinator searches, said team having a bad game and people going “do we really want to hire this guy”. Fact of the matter is, guys that can lead programs can lead programs.AU has enough resources for a good leader to build a top tier staff, recruit well, and win Damn ball games lol

7 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I mean here’s the thing, if a  guy isn’t 10-2, 11-1 every year (for a potential replacement) people would have complaints. Heck I can remember in coordinator searches, said team having a bad game and people going “do we really want to hire this guy”. Fact of the matter is, guys that can lead programs can lead programs.AU has enough resources for a good leader to build a top tier staff, recruit well, and win Damn ball games lol

He will have to cash in this year and go to a better job. Like Fleck he will fall back down to earth next season. It is to tough at these jobs that you cannot recruit to to consistently throw up big win numbers each season. The rest of his tenure at Indiana is meh. Not terrible. Actually good since IT IS FREAKING INDIANA football. But he will get stuck if he does not get thrown a life raft after this season to a bigger job. Fleck is stuck at Minny for at least 1 more year because he is not going to get a offer if a bigger program comes open the way his season is going. You have to cash in at the perfect times at these jobs where there is no upside. Only downside. That is why it is incredible that Dan Mullen year after year was able to keep his head above water and keep himself from drowning until he finally got the call and offer from a great job. Matt Campbell is on that teeter totter right now. He is  Iowa State's Dan Mullen without that season where Mullen had the Cowbells ranked number 1 (and heck depending on how the rest of this season turns out maybe this is his miracle year like that season Mullen had at clangaaaaaa). This year shows more than ever how freaking HARD it is to win at Iowa State. Lose to a non power 5 school DECISIVELY but then wins all the rest of it's game so far besides a L to a decent/ solid Oklahoma State team. 

I think people are too hung up on which coach is 10-1 or undefeated to be the next hire.   Saying, oh that person lost to ______ fill in blank name is no good.    

The next coach needs to be someone that can motivate the players to play at there best,  evaluate talent, be a salesman of Auburn (recruit),  hire competent assistant coaches, and a someone from a good coaching tree that has learned what it takes to sustain success.

I’m not in the inner circle of college football to know who is the coach out there that fits that criteria.   It maybe an assistant coach that none of us have ever heard of, or a head coach that is proving himself at  a smaller program.   

I’ve been around sports all my life and I know one thing, Gus is not it.   Wasn’t it from the start and was someone I didn’t want as head coach

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

I think people are too hung up on which coach is 10-1 or undefeated to be the next hire.   Saying, oh that person lost to ______ fill in blank name is no good.    

The next coach needs to be someone that can motivate the players to play at there best,  evaluate talent, be a salesman of Auburn (recruit),  hire competent assistant coaches, and a someone from a good coaching tree that has learned what it takes to sustain success.

I’m not in the inner circle of college football to know who is the coach out there that fits that criteria.   It maybe an assistant coach that none of us have ever heard of, or a head coach that is proving himself at  a smaller program.   

I’ve been around sports all my life and I know one thing, Gus is not it.   Wasn’t it from the start and was someone I didn’t want as head coach

This.

Those that have to sit down and determine our next coach,  They will look at 3 major areas, 1. Recruiting ability, 2. his OC and DC candidates, and 3. his philosophy as a coach to create a football program that will be strong, well coached, and what goals he has for rebuilding this program. 

He has to bring strong recruiters and position coaches, and he better have a good idea offensively that recruits will want to play in to get them to the NFL.

It could be an NFL assistant, or a good up and coming coach from a smaller program. I feel it won't be the names being thrown out there, because all of them have had some success but also failures...

17 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

2016  0-1

2017 5-7

2018 5-7

2019 8-5

2020 5-1

Umm yes. He is building something from nothing and getting better progressively. You need to rethink this post. Any fool can be 8-5 at Auburn.  Not too many people can do what Allen is doing at Indiana right now. 

I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Tom is on Auburn’s short list. Don’t forget he was in the running for DC here before we got CKS.

23 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

I’m not sure how many saw the end of the Indiana win, but Tom Allen had a hard time completing his post game interview on the field because his players kept interrupting and telling everyone in America how great of a coach he is and how they need to come to Indiana.

Ha, its easy to love a coach that has you in the top 10 for the first time in almost 60 years - while playing (and losing badly to) the 1 non-joke team on your schedule. But let's model ourselves after Hoosier football.

21 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

2016  0-1

2017 5-7

2018 5-7

2019 8-5

2020 5-1

Are you familiar with Indiana? It's a basketball school in a state devoid of football talent. What Allen has done there is remarkable. The guy is a football coach. They had a 1-11 and a couple of 4-8 seasons just before he got there. The school's overall record is 474-661... Apart from the record, if you watch them, they have an offensive scheme/identity and consistently overachieve relative to the talent on the roster. 

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Umm yes. He is building something from nothing and getting better progressively. You need to rethink this post. Any fool can be 8-5 at Auburn.  Not too many people can do what Allen is doing at Indiana right now. 

Right... Chip Kelly or Tom Herman anyone? When you're already at rock bottom, the only place to go is up. I think your shortchanging a lot of head coaches that most likely could come in and pull an 8-5  record in a third full season, with no pressure to win and in a conference that has progressively gone down hill the last two seasons. I mean, I know Indiana has been bad but should we be jumping for joy because he beat the likes of Rutgers, Purdue, NW, Maryland and Nebraska while losing to all the usuals? And we'll have to wait and see on the the long term success but in the short term, it could be because of the QB Penix Jr.

I remember when good old Gus was hot to trot in 2013. He was at his peak. He was going to turn us into perennial contenders.. How did that work out?

8 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Right... Chip Kelly or Tom Herman anyone? When you're already at rock bottom, the only place to go is up. I think your shortchanging a lot of head coaches that most likely could come in and pull an 8-5  record in a third full season, with no pressure to win and in a conference that has progressively gone down hill the last two seasons. I mean, I know Indiana has been bad but should we be jumping for joy because he beat the likes of Rutgers, Purdue, NW, Maryland and Nebraska while losing to all the usuals? And we'll have to wait and see on the the long term success but in the short term, it could be because of the QB Penix Jr.

I remember when good old Gus was hot to trot in 2013. He was at his peak. He was going to turn us into perennial contenders.. How did that work out?

Penix has got to be one of the least fortunate last names in the history of names. 

4 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

I didn’t say hire the guy. I am saying it is a foolish argument to compare 8-5 Auburn to Indiana. Btw, They beat both Wisconsin and Northwestern who I have no doubt in my mind could wax Auburn this year. 

As someone who has experienced the misery that is Indiana football up-close-and-personal for a lifetime, I can honestly say that I have never seen a season quite like this.

Coach Allen, in my opinion, has created something in Bloomington that I have only seen from one other coach there.  Bill Mallory won a lot (comparative to other coaches in IU history) but I never saw the energy or emotion from his players that we are seeing currently.  The only comparison I can draw is when Coach Terry Hoeppner was there, and he tragically died of cancer while on the job.  He's the only guy that I can ever recall seeing in Bloomington that truly had guys that I feel would have run through a wall for him.  Coach Allen definitely has that type of relationship with his players (as was on full display in the Wisconsin post-game interview) and we have seen first-hand with a guy like Bruce Pearl how big of a factor that can be in so many ways. 

I'm certainly not advocating for a guy like Allen to be on a short-list for Auburn.  But I really hope that the next coach, whomever he is, can bring the same passion, energy, enthusiasm, and genuine love for the players and the job as much  as a guy like Coach Allen.  You can see it in the way he interacts and talks to his players, especially after games (win or lose).  You can hear it in his press conferences...it's all about the players.  That's how you create an atmosphere of love, respect, and desire to do extraordinary things for your teammates and your coach.  That's what we have been seeing from the Auburn basketball program, and that is exactly what you are seeing with Coach Allen and the Indiana football program.  And they have a TON of talent returning on both sides of the ball in 2021.  If IU can ride this wave and win some recruiting battles they can sustain success in a place where that's almost unheard of.

Never thought I'd see the day where INDIANA is seemingly on a different level than Auburn in football.  2020 has been one crazy year.

On 12/6/2020 at 3:15 AM, GwillMac6 said:

You have to cash in at the perfect times at these jobs where there is no upside. 

Have to wonder what Gus's story would be right now if we hadn't fired Chizik at the exact time we did. Certainly no guarantee he keeps that Arkansas State program at the level they were already at when he got there. 

Archived