Insiders Hearing Anything? (Threads Merged)

AUght2win

3 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

So everyone will be comfortable with Auburn being on probation after 2 years with Freeze? Good to know

I don't think he will be able to pull shenanigans at Auburn like what was going on at Ole Miss.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Hugh Freeze wasn't such a sleaze I'd be very excited for him. I can't be the only one who knows we'll be on probation within six years if we hire him right? He left Ole Miss a bombed out crater that they're still trying to crawl out of. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Very true. But look up some articles on what Bama and Clemsons (and other top programs) recent football success had done the elevate the University brand on a national scale. There is not a more powerful marketing tool for a school. Not to mention the revenue. 

I reckon that's why MIT, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Northwestern, Vanderbilt and Duke (etc.)  all have such bad reputations and struggle to draw students.

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I want to see Auburn take a step out of that good old boy network and hire an outsider. Freeze may run a better offense than Gus, but it feels like the two guys have the same claim to fame. I’m worried about recruiting. I just don’t see how Freeze can walk into a room after Saban, Kirby, Mullen, O, or Kiffin and walk out with a recruit feeing like he’s the guy that can get him to the promised land. The highest profile job he’s held was at Ole Piss. Just another high school football coach with an exciting offense and a white visor. 

And this is why Cristobal is the obvious choice (among other reasons).

So help me on one thing. What is people's fascination with freeze as an option? His experience is minimal outside ole mess and fighting fallwells, but people have him on the short list with MC. And didn't he leave ole mess in a mess of ncaa violations? 

Honest question?

5 minutes ago, hikerdns said:

So help me on one thing. What is people's fascination with freeze as an option? His experience is minimal outside ole mess and fighting fallwells, but people have him on the short list with MC. And didn't he leave ole mess in a mess of ncaa violations? 

Honest question?

He’s the new Petrino. Get ready for his name to come up on every Auburn coaching search for the next 20 years. 

7 minutes ago, hikerdns said:

Honest question?

Its been posted plenty already, but here are the cliff notes:

He rebuilt Lambeth, Ark State, Ole Miss and now Liberty all into programs that had not seen the success before him in many years.  That's a pretty proven record of success. 

2 hours ago, hikerdns said:

Honest question?

some folks ive talked to say they want him because he beat bammer two years in a row.  ummmm? Gus has beat bammer three times (four if you count 2010 when he was our OC) if we're hiring someone just because they beat bammer then might as well keep Gus. others are more excited by what hes doing at Liberty with Willis

its like in 2012 when i talked to folks who wanted petrino

Me: Why should Petrino be our next HC?

Petrino fans: he ran the score up on us when he was at Arkansas

Me: okay....so you want to return the favor and run the score up on Arkansas by hiring Petrino?

Petrino fans: Yes

Me: facepalm!

1 minute ago, The Freak said:

He rebuilt Lambeth, Ark State, Ole Miss and now Liberty all into programs that had not seen the success before him in many years.  That's a pretty proven record of success. 

He's also a good friend of the current HC, and was also a very respected high school coach.. Are we going after apples on the same tree?

2 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I mean maybe? And who’s Lambeth?

1 minute ago, KnightTiger said:

some folks ive talked to say they want him because he beat bammer two years in a row.  ummmm? Gus has beat bammer three times (four if you count 2010 when he was our OC) if we're hiring someone just because they beat bammer then might as well keep Gus. others are more excited by what hes doing at Liberty with Willis

its like in 2012 when i talked to folks who wanted petrino

Me: Why should Petrino be our next HC?

Petrino fans: he ran the score up on us when he was at Arkansas

Me: okay....so you want to return the favor and run the score up on Arkansas by hiring Petrino?

Petrino fans: Yes

Me: facepalm!

This is the gist I’m getting too. Was wondering if there was anything else I didn’t understand. 

11 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I reckon that's why MIT, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Northwestern, Vanderbilt and Duke (etc.)  all have such bad reputations and struggle to draw students.

And Auburn is usually mentioned in the same breath with they Ivys and the other elite academic institutions you mention😒

I love Auburn and am proud of the two degrees I have from there. But, as @ellitor points out, it is well documented that a university with successful athletics (especially FBS football) experiences significant increases in donations (both athletic and nonathletic) and enrollment. To suggest that Auburn is above this as an ivory tower of academia is silly.

21 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

If Hugh Freeze wasn't such a sleaze I'd be very excited for him. I can't be the only one who knows we'll be on probation within six years if we hire him right? He left Ole Miss a bombed out crater that they're still trying to crawl out of. 

It's a risk but for the sake of argument...

Probation would possibly include:

No bowls- we can't win them anyway with Gus.

Loss of scholarships- as opposed to players we sign then don't use or develop properly and lose to transfer portal. 

Ineligible for CFP - not happening with 4 losses per year.

We seem to already be on probation. 

1 minute ago, soblfly said:

He's also a good friend of the current HC, and was also a very respected high school coach.. Are we going after apples on the same tree?

but Freeze coached girls basketball too.  So, he's way betterer.

2 minutes ago, metafour said:

Hugh Freeze is an elite coach. Why would we want to hire him? Take a look at his resume.

I have, and wasn’t overly impressed, so that’s what triggered my initial question. Which was an honest questions...appreciate your reasoning. (Unless you’re being sarcastic, can’t tell🤔)

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

It's a risk but for the sake of argument...

Probation would possibly include:

No bowls- we can't win them anyway with Gus.

Loss of scholarships- in lplayers we sign, don't use or develop properly and lose to transfer portal. 

Ineligible for CFP - not happening with 4 losses per year.

We seem to already be on probation. 

Now this makes sense as to why he’s on peoples short list. 

16 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

He’s the new Petrino. Get ready for his name to come up on every Auburn coaching search for the next 20 years. 

That's who we need. Petrino.

2 minutes ago, metafour said:

Hugh Freeze is an elite coach. Why would we want to hire him? Take a look at his resume.

Elite?

Arky St. 10-2

Ole Miss 7-6,8-5,9-4,10-3,5-7

Liberty. 8-5, 9-1

2-2 in bowls

Notable assistants - Tom Allen and Matt Luke

What is elite about anything he’s done in his coaching career. He had a 10 win season at Ole Miss when they had Chad Kelly and a butt load of talent at receiver.  And he won a Sugar Bowl. 

He’s having a good season at Liberty where they have notable wins over such powerhouses as Virginia Tech, Western Carolina, UMass, Southern Miss, North Alabama, LA Monroe, Syracuse, FIU, and Western Kentucky. 

That’s it. 

27 minutes ago, Beaker said:

And this is why Cristobal is the obvious choice (among other reasons).

If we were to hire Cristobal you couldn't  tickle me anymore if you stuck a feather up my a$$. But from a percentage stand point what are the chances we get MC?

Archived