Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Zeek changed the title to Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/13/2020 at 2:41 PM, Zeek said:

Being Considered:

Neal Brown (WVU HC) - supposedly interviewed but haven't heard a single update 

Out

Mario Cristobal (OR HC) - PAC12 delayed talks, Oregon rushed an extension, Allen Greene was ready to fight but the boosters were not.

Lane Kiffin (OM OC) - never considered due to character issues and tendency to leave programs. Mentioned as a favorite among players. 

Hugh Freeze (LIB HC) - considered Rane's original #1 but immediately deemed too risky. 

Tony Elliott (CL OC) - never interviewed. Either he knew Auburn didn't consider him a real candidate or there may have been bad blood with when Auburn leaked his interview (right before their conference championship) 

Steve Sarkisian (AL OC) - stated his terms and lost almost all momentum. Wanted Gus money, 5 years, 75% buyout. I'm told Auburn scoffed at the buyout and Sark scoffed at the lack of autonomy (a theme).

Billy Napier (LA HC) - considered favorite at one point, seemed ready to sign, all signs pointed to an announcement. Declined when told he didn't have autonomy. 

Kevin Steele (AU DC) - the word is Allen Greene hasn't let him interview. Regardless, he's dropped out for now... still seems to be working towards staying as a DC 

Bill Clark (UAB HC) - became defacto leading candidate when there was essentially no one else. Interviewed really well. Wasn't given autonomy either and dipped.

Brent Venables (CL DC) - staying at Clemson

*FWIW Greene has reportedly taken over the search. No clue how much he controls and if he can finally offer autonomy*

I think either we get a whole new batch of candidates or we revisit Cristobal & Napier with better offers. Kiffin and Freeze may get some consideration if the struggles continue. None of the above names will come without autonomy. 

Random list of people we might consider based purely off the top of my head: 

Fickell, Campbell, Huepel, Harsin, and Chadwell come to mind from the G5 teams.

The board is pretty empty lol

Offer Napier autonomy and try to get him back on board. It'll probably cost you more to get him back in the boat but **** it.

3 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Just imagine
If i was a coach and was told that i wouldnt have full control (turned down the job) and then they came back and promised full control    would you believe them? 

You put it in the contract and put $ penalty and buy out if it doesn’t happen, ever.  Auburn has done this to themselves.  If Auburn doesn’t want to do it, nothing has changed.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Offer Napier autonomy and try to get him back on board. It'll probably cost you more to get him back in the boat but **** it.

Yep. Or offer Mario 7 or 8 million and suck it up. They made their bed. They have to sleep in it now. 

17 hours ago, autkidd1345162876 said:

Buddy who is a high school head coach in Alabama said he was told that Clark and Auburn hit a wall due to Auburn requiring him to keep Steele and Garner. 

No offense, but that calls for a "duuuuuh!" response. 

MARIO! Or bust!

18 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I’m tired of this trash take. Gus being fired is not the problem and never will be. What Auburn wanted was a BETTER coach and they absolutely could have had that. These guys aren’t turning down Auburn. They are turning down the stipulations the PTB are placing them under. 

The PTB are  Auburn Football. 

10 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

The only way we will get a coach is by offering at least 5 million to a coach with full control. We want a good coach? 6 mill at least. 

Big if when talking about giving full control.  

The post from RIR is an oasis...is what he said last night still true with Venables turning us down?

It doesn’t help when you consider our (US) political situation on top of this.

1 minute ago, AU-Allen said:

You guys about ready to accept Art Briles? LOL, desperate enough yet? 

Maybe baby Brilles which is still sad

On 12/13/2020 at 2:41 PM, Zeek said:

Random list of people we might consider based purely off the top of my head: 

Fickell, Huepel, Harsin, and Chadwell come to mind from the G5 teams. 

I was interested in Fickell as a sleeper, but his contract is through '26 if I recall.

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

This. He’s my #1 of the “realistic” candidates. We need to stay on him and not so easily my be to options so far down the list. Venables might be better than Steele or Clark but he doesn’t move the needle for me and was never really realistically leaving Clemson for us. 

Go. Get. Napier.

2 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

I was interested in Fickell as a sleeper, but his contract is through '26 if I recall.

How long was Gus’s contract for? Contracts are made to be broken. 

#draintheplains

13 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You ever actually interviewed people for jobs?  An official typed out, signable offer is typically only made if you know the guy is going to accept.

Truth be told. Most coaching searches go the same way this one has.
It’s just that the information of what’s going on has been leaked.

Schools contact agents or go a between, send out feelers, some coaches are interviewed, some pass on an interview, some interview and say no, some talks go further with negotiations ect...
Who has the final say? That seems to be our main problem, to many ropes are being pulled in different directions. I hope that has stopped and Green can actually do his job and be the one who has the final say.

The leaks have brought to light the disfunction that we have known about for a while now, it’s just breathtakingly worse than we thought. 

The leaks seem to be a good thing, since Steele hasn’t been introduced.
Coaching “searches” are probably pretty sloppy most of the time, we just never know about it.

4 minutes ago, chimes said:

This. He’s my #1 of the “realistic” candidates. We need to stay on him and not so easily my be to options so far down the list. Venables might be better than Steele or Clark but he doesn’t move the needle for me and was never really realistically leaving Clemson for us. 

Go. Get. Napier.

Yup someone withdrawing doesn't mean they're permanently out. Like leaving a car dealership.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I don’t know how they expected a bigger fish when they won’t do the basics such as give full autonomy . People try to say that wasn’t true with Kirby smart but now I can see that was very much true. 

it is 100% true. Just like Grimes was forced out. He didnt leave to coach with his son. I still dont understand why Gus hired him again. 

57 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yeah. Honestly it's the most pathetic extension I could have imagined. Hoping the buyout by 1 mill.

Different University and a different state with immensely different priorities. Again as I had said there is a wage freeze going on at OU. 

53 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Are we in a holding pattern for a while waiting on bowl games to wrap up?   It would seem that we might not have the hourly updates that seemed to be happening yesterday.  

Maybe not updates, but coaching searches go by hours not days or weeks.

Archived