Kevin Steele officially out as AU DC (Merged & updated: 1/5/20)

RunInRed

Having a former AU player coaching on the team can be a good thing.  Not having a coaching tree deeper than who you coached in H.S is not.  It is crazy how now when turn over is needed, it could fracture the AU Family as we love some of the current coaches.   
As far as who to keep.  I may have been the last on board when Porter was hired,   But I think he could be solid to retain, if possible.   We talk so much about O and D, but our special teams have been consistently pretty good through two or three recent coaches.  Porter seems to have kept some of that mojo going.  

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Having a former AU player coaching on the team can be a good thing.  Not having a coaching tree deeper than who you coached in H.S is not.  It is crazy how now when turn over is needed, it could fracture the AU Family as we love some of the current coaches.   
As far as who to keep.  I may have been the last on board when Porter was hired,   But I think he could be solid to retain, if possible.   We talk so much about O and D, but our special teams have been consistently pretty good through two or three recent coaches.  Porter seems to have kept some of that mojo going.  

Former Auburn player or not, if Harsin thinks he is better off by retaining no one, then he probably has a good reason for that.  I suspect he made his decision in that regard after watching practices, bowl prep, and the bowl itself.  I am definitely not going to hold it against him, if he decides to start with a clean slate.

10 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Former Auburn player or not, if Harsin thinks he is better off by retaining no one, then he probably has a good reason for that.  I suspect he made his decision in that regard after watching practices, bowl prep, and the bowl itself.  I am definitely not going to hold it against him, if he decides to start with a clean slate.

Nor I.  

42 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Our kickers have been good, but punting and return coverage...meh...average at best. 

I read an article by a staff member that said that Steele's future has not been decided. This was after what Cubelic said. Not sure what to make of it. Maybe some know more accurate information on this.  I hope we can get Andy Avalos or Marcus Freeman from Cincinnati .

49 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I hope we can get Andy Avalos

One of the better insiders on the bunker autigers07, says he doesn't like our chances of getting Avalos. 07 says he thinks AA will stay at Oregon as DC or get the Boise HC job. Haven't seen any chatter from any AU insiders even mentioning Freeman.

saturdaydownsouth.com

Bryan Harsin makes first big decision since landing Auburn job, reportedly decides on Kevin Steele’s status

Michael Wayne Bratton | 7 hours ago

Few saw Auburn’s hire of Boise State’s Bryan Harsin coming following the firing of Gus Malzahn on The Plains but it’s fair to say just about everyone saw the new Tigers coach’s first big decision coming.

Following the winding coaching search that eventually landed on the former Boise State head coach, the biggest question on The Plains quickly transitioned to Harsin’s first Tiger coaching staff.

Now we have our first bit of information on Harin’s Auburn staff as the SEC Network’s Cole Cubelic is reporting that defensive coordinator Kevin Steele will not be returning to the program in 2021.

“I’m told Auburn interim Head Coach Kevin Steele will not return as a part of the staff next season,” Cubelic shared on Friday.

During his introductory Auburn press conference, Harsin claimed that so many coaches were reaching out to him, he didn’t even recognize all the numbers blowing up his cellphone.

For the sake of Auburn fans, that had better be an accurate description as Steele has been one of the best defensive coaches and recruiters in recent SEC seasons.

But Steele’s ability to coach and recruit likely wasn’t the only factor in Harsin’s decision as the coordinator was nearly named Auburn’s head coach before a “#StopSteele” campaign gained momentum among the fan base.

The behind-the-scenes drama likely ended any chance Steele had of sticking around on The Plains. Now we wait to found out where he lands, which could certainly be in the SEC with defensive coordinator openings at LSU and South Carolina — with more spots potentially opening in the days to come.

With "an" Ohio State blowing Venables's defense out for 35 points in the first half for the sugar bowl, there might be a new number showing up on CBH's phone right now. Might be Dabo texting, "hey, heard you might need somebody. call me. L8R ?"

21 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don’t consider that a big decision at all. I bet it was never considered. 

Can’t have an interim hc lurking around with strong ties to the former regime,

SDS updated its story when it finally got firsthand information from CBH via phone, vs second hand info that doesn't even say it was Harsin's decision at all.

Brian Harsin contacted SDS today to say, "My first big decision was ranch or honey mustard with my Zaxby's order. Of course I decided to have neither. In fact, I just tossed the chicken in the trash and drank a fresh bottle of ghost pepper sauce like any man would do. I could have told you that if you'd had the b--ls to call me instead of writing what somebody else said. Steele wasn't even a decision. I said he 'might' could stay if he thought he could kick my a$$. Well, apparently he didn't and he's not. Are we clear? Now, never call me."

19 minutes ago, AUx said:

SDS updated its story when it finally got firsthand information from CBH via phone, vs second hand info that doesn't even say it was Harsin's decision at all.

Brian Harsin contacted SDS today to say, "My first big decision was ranch or honey mustard with my Zaxby's order. Of course I decided to have neither. In fact, I just tossed the chicken in the trash and drank a fresh bottle of ghost pepper sauce like any man would do. I could have told you that if you'd had the b--ls to call me instead of writing what somebody else said. Steele wasn't even a decision. I said he 'might' could stay if he thought he could kick my a$$. Well, apparently he didn't and he's not. Are we clear? Now, never call me."

Apparently 1 half liter of Hennessey is not enough to discern your post.

I will continue drinking until I can decipher this text.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

One of the better insiders on the bunker autigers07, says he doesn't like our chances of getting Avalos. 07 says he thinks AA will stay at Oregon as DC or get the Boise HC job. Haven't seen any chatter from any AU insiders even mentioning Freeman.

Hey ellitor....who do you think we might hire for DC & OC?

THanks!

Sorry. It’s parody. Conflating Harsin’s toughness while pointing out the SDS article only insinuates via Cubelic that this is a decision Harsin has made. It IS a logical conclusion. But facts are not yet in evidence. I’ll drop the literature and jurisprudence from now on. But let me know if a second liter creates new insights.

8 hours ago, tigerrules said:

I am so on the fence with Garner. He has coached some phenomenal DL players, and we have had some really good run stopping defense, and some phenomenal players. Just can’t seem to get QB pressure consistently. With Gus hanging around his neck, It has been really difficult recruiting for him against Clemson, UGA and the bammers.  If the rumors surrounding a coup are accurate that would definitely be a problem for me. 

hes elite but it might just be time to go. I cant help but blame him and Steele for never finding a real replacement for Holland. Auburn is supposed to keep an elite DEnd/pass rusher no matter what else is happening. 

Nice job reporting on Cole Cubelic's speculation that pretty much eveyone following Auburn already knew. How do some of these dumbasses even keep a job?

12 hours ago, alexava said:

I don’t consider that a big decision at all. I bet it was never considered. 

With you. No decision to make...get the feeling Harsin knows exactly who he wants, who will join him.

2 minutes ago, REALTORTiger said:

He's old, overrated and his blitzes are comical.

GTFOH, Steele.

And he again doesn’t make adjustments.. NW started the game scoring 14 points and went away from what was working only to come back to it in the second half and we still had no answer for it.. dline isn’t getting pressure.. not putting them in position be successful. You gotta do something to change it up on them.. a stunt, something.

• ellitor changed the title to Kevin Steele Not likely to be retained (Merged)

This has already been asked and answered, but is it true Steele's buyout is $5 million?

Archived