Brad Bedell TEs

Zeek

UPDATED / CONFIRMED 

3F1DFFEC-0FB8-4E4E-BEAE-453A103AD653.jpeg

AUBURN, Ala. – Brad Bedell has been named Auburn's tight ends coach, head coach Bryan Harsinannounced Sunday. Bedell spent the past four seasons as Boise State's offensive line coach, including run game coordinator last season. A former All-American at Colorado, Bedell spent six seasons in the NFL prior to joining the coaching ranks.

"Tight end play is a critical part of our offensive attack and Coach Bedell brings a unique perspective to what we want to do with that position group," Harsin said. "Brad has coached with me at a couple different places and is a relationship driven coach with six years of NFL playing experience, making him an exceptional recruiter. His versatility as a coach and strong recruiting ability make him a great fit for the Auburn football family."

In four seasons at Boise State, Bedell's offensive line had nine players garner 13 All-Mountain West honors, including five first team honors. Three Bronco linemen earned all-conference honors in 2020. 

Four of the Broncos' five starting offensive linemen in 2019 received All-Mountain West recognition, with left tackle Ezra Cleveland and left guard John Molchon each being named first team. Center Garrett Larson earned second-team honors, while right guard Eric Quevedo was named honorable mention. Cleveland would go on to be selected in the second round (58th overall) of the 2020 NFL Draft by the Minnesota Vikings.

In 2019, the Bronco line extended Boise State's streak of seasons with a 1,000-yard rusher to 11, as freshman George Holani rushed for 1,014 yards. The 11-straight individual rushing performances for Boise State was the active longest streak in the country and second longest in college football history. The line also provided protection and paved the way for a Boise offense that was 19th in the country in scoring (34.7 ppg).

"I'm really excited to be a part of a tremendous football program like Auburn, that has had great tradition and success over the years," Bedell said. "Working with Coach Harsin at Boise State and the culture he created is something special and I look forward to being a part of that at Auburn. The quality of young men in this program has me excited. I can't wait to get started." 

https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/1/10/football-auburn-names-brad-bedell-tight-ends-coach.aspx

https://www.google.com/amp/s/flywareagle.com/2021/01/03/auburn-football-brad-bedell-ol-coach/amp/

247 staff really seems to think this is going to happen as does JBoy. Boise fans seem to want him gone but 4/5 of his OL were all-conference this year.

It seems like he might share OL duty as a 247 staff member implied the OC he's talked with have OL guys they want to bring with them.

With the coaching allotments he could be a TE/Co-OL coach or share some type of responsibilities. 

As a player he spent about 6 years in the NFL. Has coached a few different places including Arkansas State, Texas State, Boise, Baylor, Colorado, and New Mexico State.

Not really high on him. If he was a Pogue type analyst or smaller role maybe. Would like a bigger OL recruiter when you have Kyle Flood at Bama, James Cregg at LSU, and  Matt Luke at UGA; that's two guys with NFL coaching experience and one former SEC head coach.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/flywareagle.com/2021/01/03/auburn-football-brad-bedell-ol-coach/amp/

247 staff really seems to think this is going to happen as does JBoy. Boise fans seem to want him gone but 4/5 of his OL were all-conference this year.

It seems like he might share OL duty as a 247 staff member implied the OC he's talked with have OL guys they want to bring with them.

With the coaching allotments he could be a TE/Co-OL coach or share some type of responsibilities. 

As a player he spent about 6 years in the NFL. Has coached a few different places including Arkansas State, Texas State, Boise, Baylor, Colorado, and New Mexico State.

Not really high on him. If he was a Pogue type analyst or smaller role maybe. Would like a bigger OL recruiter when you have Kyle Flood at Bama, James Cregg at LSU, and  Matt Luke at UGA; that's two guys with NFL coaching experience and one former SEC head coach.

This guy actually played the position in the NFL my guy. Seems like his career is just starting to warm up. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

This guy actually played the position in the NFL my guy. Seems like his career is just starting to warm up. 

Just weird their fanbase is cheering for him to leave; though lord knows that doesn't mean he's bad lol. He only started 4 times.

Still, I think we could do worse.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Just weird their fanbase is cheering for him to leave; though lord knows that doesn't mean he's bad lol. He only started 4 times.

Still, I think we could do worse.

The fan base seems to see Petersen as their Bear Bryant. Not sure how much stock I put in their discontentment.

Just now, TexasTiger said:

The fan base seems to see Petersen as their Bear Bryant. Not sure how much stock I put in their discontentment.

True, some were happy to see Harsin go as well. It's not as concerning anyways because everything I've seen implies he'd be a co-OL coach. Which is interesting.

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

True, some were happy to see Harsin go as well. It's not as concerning anyways because everything I've seen implies he'd be a co-OL coach. Which is interesting.

So thee rumors of Jeff Grimes as OC/OL look like they might bear fruit?

I don't care if he only started 4 games in the NFL....just making a NFL roster is hard and to play for 6 years is a credit to him...I assumed he learned a lot and has a web of contacts...

3 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Man that would be huge IF he was the guy calling plays at BYU. Harsin hasn't been calling plays for a minute so that would be important for the OC.

Just now, cole256 said:

Why do people want him gone?

Boise fans claim the OL got worse since he got there in 2017.

5 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Jeff Grimes OC/OL + Bedell OL would be legit. Sign me up right now!

33 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Harsin shows that even if you absolutely KILL IT after a legend and honestly arguably probaly had the best run ever for someone who was the first in succession of  a legend that nothing you do will be good enough. Boise was in the WAC for most of Chris Petersen's run. A conference a lot worse than the Mountain West. In Chris Petersen's last season at boise they were 8-4. Harsin had them 12-2 the next season with a conference title and a fiesta bowl win. Heck in 2019 Harsin had Boise at 12-2 even though he had to resort to starting his third string QB in a couple of games. That is a hell of a coaching job. 

58 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I cannot take Boise fans seriously on their opinion of Bedell when in 2019 4 of their 5 OL were first team mountain west. OL coach seems to always be the punching bags and draws the ire of the wrath of fans. Also OL Coach is the position that has the least amount of "splash" hires. Even less than TE and Special teams coach.  No idea why they do not like him but I am willing to give the guy a chance. He at least seems to be a really good coach.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Harsin shows that even if you absolutely KILL IT after a legend and honestly arguably probaly had the best run ever for someone who was the first in succession of  a legend that nothing you do will be good enough. Boise was in the WAC for most of Chris Petersen's run. A conference a lot worse than the Mountain West. In Chris Petersen's last season at boise they were 8-4. Harsin had them 12-2 the next season with a conference title and a fiesta bowl win. Heck in 2019 Harsin had Boise at 12-2 even though he had to resort to starting his third string QB in a couple of games. That is a hell of a coaching job. 

And CP had BSU on probation his last season and had an 8-4 year 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

One of those wins a few years ago was at UL Lafayette.  I went to the game.  11am kickoff 90s and humid. Most miserably hot game I've ever been to.  His team had no problems with conditioning, kicking the Cajuns butts all afternoon.  Problem was he was scoring so much, the game would never end to get out the heat lol. 

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It's actually even more of an accomplishment than you posted. Harsin was short-handed his first couple of years due to probation that cost them 3 schollies/year for three years prior to his era. The SOS he faced was about 2x what Peterson faced by College Football Database ratings. I posted all of those numbers a day or two after he was hired. 

4 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

And CP had BSU on probation his last season and had an 8-4 year 

In his defense, that was among the most BS probations ever. About as bad as our Don Fuell episode. But it did leave Harsin short-handed.

Just now, TigerHorn said:

It's actually even more of an accomplishment than you posted. Harsin was short-handed his first couple of years due to probation that cost them 3 schollies/year for three years prior to his era. The SOS he faced was about 2x what Peterson faced by College Football Database ratings. I posted all of those numbers a day or two after he was hired. 

And yet Boise fans are completely disrespectful to him that I have read. At least on their 247 board. They are so spoiled. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

And yet Boise fans are completely disrespectful to him that I have read. At least on their 247 board. They are so spoiled. 

Found the spreadsheet:

Harsin SOS at BSU: -1.48 (0 is average, Gus faced a +6.06, Swinney +3.84, Smart 4.22, Mullen +4.39)

Peterson faced a -3.04

Hawkins, who built BSU, faced a -5.18! 

1 hour ago, 1716AU said:

your suspended for a week.  Think about what you said!

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Petersen also didn't have Harsin as OC that last season. Gives me hope🤗

Archived