Brad Bedell TEs

Zeek

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I cannot take Boise fans seriously on their opinion of Bedell when in 2019 4 of their 5 OL were first team mountain west. OL coach seems to always be the punching bags and draws the ire of the wrath of fans. Also OL Coach is the position that has the least amount of "splash" hires. Even less than TE and Special teams coach.  No idea why they do not like him but I am willing to give the guy a chance. He at least seems to be a really good coach.

someone on the rant said he had to use two d guys for the oline. i am not sure why that is so bad if four our of five made all conference? but i think they are saying he cannot get the studs in like other major schools? that would be my guess. and that is the kind of stuff under gus that drove me crazy. i still support our new coach but i still worry because we are auburn.

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

someone on the rant said he had to use two d guys for the oline. i am not sure why that is so bad if four our of five made all conference? but i think they are saying he cannot get the studs in like other major schools? that would be my guess. and that is the kind of stuff under gus that drove me crazy. i still support our new coach but i still worry because we are auburn.

We are already using two d guys in the o line with AJ and TM. 

12 hours ago, Zeek said:

Just weird their fanbase is cheering for him to leave; though lord knows that doesn't mean he's bad lol. He only started 4 times.

Still, I think we could do worse.

Its really not. 

If you knew anything about BSU football or actually listened when I talked about him yesterday.

The former BSU OL coach is crazy good. He is now at Washington.

This guy recruits SO well BSU has had to play a couple DL on the OL the last couple of years. Doesn't that sound familiar?

I WONDER WHY THEY COULD EVER WANT HIM GONE?!? SEEMS ABSURD

24 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

That someone was me. 

And its the very reason they want him gone

13 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

We are already using two d guys in the o line with AJ and TM. 

And Prince Tega and Prince Sammons

Are you suggesting thats a good thing to run DL on the OL?

Maybe you havent noticed our OL has sucked since like 2014?

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

That someone was me. 

And its the very reason they want him gone

it makes no sense to me tho. four of five linemen all conference and yet the fans are upset because we put two d guys on the oline? that does not make much sense. i was hoping you or anyone would have more on that. i just know auburn did it out of desperation. and i have no idea who is right and who is wrong.

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

no. i want to avoid what we did in auburn. and again, hoping for more info.

Our rivals are stockpiling high 4* and 5* talent on both sides of the line. 

We are talking about getting ANOTHER coach who has to use DL on the OL... And some are actually stupid enough to suggest its a GREAT thing to hire this guy... Have yall SERIOUSLY not paid attention to our OL since the other Grimes was fired?!?

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Our rivals are stockpiling high 4* and 5* talent on both sides of the line. 

We are talking about getting ANOTHER coach who has to use DL on the OL... And some are actually stupid enough to suggest its a GREAT thing to hire this guy... Have yall SERIOUSLY not paid attention to our OL since the other Grimes was fired?!?

Confused by the acronyms. What’s an OL? 😉

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

it makes no sense to me tho. four of five linemen all conference and yet the fans are upset because we put two d guys on the oline? that does not make much sense. i was hoping you or anyone would have more on that. i just know auburn did it out of desperation. and i have no idea who is right and who is wrong.

The guy can obviously coach, but he couldnt recruit OTs to Boise. Seems like something similar was said about Old Man Grimes.... Could coach. But not recruit...

Go back and look at the classes Boise has signed since he has been there. You will find 0, 1, or 2 OTs per class. 

Listen to their fanbase. They arent celebrating his possible departure because we are stealing their best assistant. 

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Confused by the acronyms. What’s an OL? 😉

If we hire Bedell you will continue to be confused by that question.

I would not rule out the guy just because he did not sign tons of high level OTs at Boise St. Next to elite pass rushers i imagine OTs are the most coveted position in recruiting circles. Maybe he and Harsin decided they would do better converting slow DL guys versus signing the 2-3* OTs that were giving them attention?? I dunno, but if he can get 4 out of 5 on the all conference team then that means he can coach. 

It sounds like even if Bedell comes over it will be as TE coach, and not as the lone OL coach - so the whole doom and gloom about what happened at Boise State seems like crying over nothing. 

Bobby Bowden was always big on recruiting D linemen and converting to O line. Worked very well for him back in his hay day. 

35 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Not suggesting  that at all, although Tega is in the NFL as was Ben Grubb before him. I was referring to the OPs reference to Boise having to move 2 DLs to OL and that that is not something major schools have to do. Just ironic that due to our ineptitude that’s exactly what we’ve had to do. 

For this whole discussion on o line, NW handled our d line just fine with low star recruits, as did Minnesota last year. Elite talent is preferred but average talent can work with the right coaches and development. TAMUs o line was equally bad as ours the past couple of years and they made a huge leap this year. I’m confident we can do the same with a HC dialed in on fixing it. Something we lacked before. 

26 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I would not rule out the guy just because he did not sign tons of high level OTs at Boise St. Next to elite pass rushers i imagine OTs are the most coveted position in recruiting circles. Maybe he and Harsin decided they would do better converting slow DL guys versus signing the 2-3* OTs that were giving them attention?? I dunno, but if he can get 4 out of 5 on the all conference team then that means he can coach. 

Can you show me where I said anything with the words "tons" or "high level?" 

I said go back and look you will see 0,1, or 2 OTs signed. 

How anyone could know what we have gone through on the OL and think numbers like that would be acceptable is beyond me. 

And you guys keep talking about 4 of 5 it means he can coach. Did that same thing not get said about old man grimes? That he could coach so who cares if he can recruit? Again how you can know what we have gone through on the OL and suggest this would be acceptable? 

If Meta is right and he comes as a TE coach, im fine with him. He simply has no business being responsible for recruiting SEC linemen when he couldnt recruit them to boise. 

I will trust the Conference coaches who had to coach against his linemen that made All-Conference and then VOTE for them to be All Conference more than some Auburn fan on a message board or some fans sitting in the stands. 

I’m just chillin. We got a new coach. We are paying, God knows what. ( good question $$) He is going to hire a staff. We will know who they are very soon. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Umm...well, while it doesn't always work out so quite so great as this, Ben Grubbs came to Auburn as a defensive line prospect, switched to offensive line, got drafted in the first round, and made a couple of pro bowls in a career that spanned more than a decade. Sometimes, all it takes is size and athleticism for a good OL coach to bring out the best in a player.

14 hours ago, Zeek said:

Just weird their fanbase is cheering for him to leave; though lord knows that doesn't mean he's bad lol. He only started 4 times.

Still, I think we could do worse.

Brother, there’s tons of folks out there who think it’s weird we wanted Gus gone for years. 

I understand how you feel, but I’m giving him a chance. This is a new day. 

He probably had a tough area to recruit while trying to beat out California and Texas teams. I would think Boise Idaho is kinda in a no-mans land for high level recruits, thus making what he got work by using dlinemen for oline. That’s pretty good coaching when you turn them into all conference players.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Can you show me where I said anything with the words "tons" or "high level?" 

I said go back and look you will see 0,1, or 2 OTs signed. 

How anyone could know what we have gone through on the OL and think numbers like that would be acceptable is beyond me. 

And you guys keep talking about 4 of 5 it means he can coach. Did that same thing not get said about old man grimes? That he could coach so who cares if he can recruit? Again how you can know what we have gone through on the OL and suggest this would be acceptable? 

If Meta is right and he comes as a TE coach, im fine with him. He simply has no business being responsible for recruiting SEC linemen when he couldnt recruit them to boise. 

What i'm saying is that the bottom line number of how many recruits are signed per position does not tell the whole story. And yes having 4 of your OL named to the all conf team does mean you can coach. You are comparing him to old man Grimes.....you tell me how many times did grimes have 4 all SEC lineman? With Grimes everyone just used his coaching ability as why we kept him on.....there was no actual proof of great coaching ability. 

But let me put this another way.....how much would you care about our OL recruiting if the majority of our OL was being named all conference every year? Well maybe you would still be complaining but i imagine the majority of fans would not really care how many OTs we signed each year as long as we were outputting all conference players consistently. 

I'm all for bringing on a line coach that has a history of bringing in 5* talent in the SEC AND constantly putting lineman on all conference teams AND consistently putting lineman in the NFL. But that is one hell of an ask to find someone who checks all those boxes. 

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Howard Schnellenberger  used to sign all DT's and convert those that did not make the grade on defense. He had some very good O-lines at Miami and Louisville doing this. I remember them just curb stomping Stallings and bama in a bowl game

Archived