TD Moultry is returning

AuburnTiger4Life

Ah so he’s taking the Trovon Reed route where in his final season we realize he probably should’ve been playing a different position to begin with. 

T.D. Moultry expected to return and make a position change

AUBURN, Alabama—A five-star linebacker prospect and the No. 18 ranked player in the country by 247Sportswhen he signed with Auburn out of Jackson-Olin High in Birmingham, T.D. Moultry came to the Plains with plenty of promise. Four years later he will have the chance to show what he can do at his original position with a move back to his natural linebacker spot under new Coach Bryan Harsin and defensive coordinator Derek Mason.

Planning to return for his fifth season with the Tigers, Moultry is expected to make the move back to a traditional linebacker spot after playing the Buck position the last four seasons at Auburn.

That is where he started his playing days at Auburn, but was quickly moved to the edge rusher position in Kevin Steele’s defense. As a freshman he showed he had the potential to be a difference-maker for the Tigers when he finished with 15 tackles, one and a half sacks and two and a half tackles for a loss. As a sophomore the numbers were still there with 11 tackles, one and a half sacks and two and a half tackles for a loss.

As he gained weight to be able to handle bigger offensive tackles and tight ends on the edge, Moultry lost his biggest advantage, which was his quickness and closing speed. While he still had the top end speed to stay on coverage teams, it cost him at the line of scrimmage. The last two seasons he managed just 13 total tackles and two sacks while fighting a confidence issue.

With an opportunity to return for another season because of the NCAA giving every player another season of eligibility because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Moultry has an opportunity to showcase his skills in Mason’s defense. 

That could be a better fit for him with Mason having a 3-4 defense in his background. That would mean additional opportunities for linebackers to get on the field. With ZaKoby McClain and Owen Pappoe returning along with senior Chandler Wooten, who opted out of the 2020 season, Auburn has some experience returning at the position already. Adding Moultry to the list along with talented freshmen Cameron Riley, Wesley Steinerand Desmond Tisdol gives the Tigers a solid group to work with in spring practices. 

Now the goal for Moultry is to work on getting his weight back down to where he feels most comfortable. Playing at around 225 in high school, he was listed at 253 pounds on last season’s roster. Somewhere in between is likely the goal and if he can get in the 230 range it could be a true breakout season for one of Auburn’s most heralded signees in the last five years.

10186350.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 T.D. Moultry is expected to come back as a linebacker in 2021. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

That sounds great. He's an incredibly talented athlete, it's just felt like he could never quite develop a knack for his position. Hopefully the move works well for him

Hope this is the opportunity he needed to finally shine. One of our many highly ranked guys signed under Gus who never reached their potential. 

So we finally have a staff that isn't going to immediately move any LB over 235# to DE?

At least it will cut down on his offsides penalties.

14 minutes ago, toddc said:

At least it will cut down on his offsides penalties.

I would almost bet he has to hold the SEC record of Offsides penalties, If not overall....the very least he holds the offsides per snap played record. 

On another note, I think he could be a beast of a LB. He has explosiveness to the ball. Just read and react. I wonder how far being on the DL has set him back though.

Happy for TD. I would love for him to have a great year and go out on top as a player. War Eagle 🦅 

This is great. I really thought him and KJ were going to leave a legacy. Hopefully it's not too late and Mason can make up for the mistakes of others. They took a 5 star linebacker and turned him into a 2 star defensive end. 

Linebacker is where he should have been the whole time. Hope he has a breakout year. 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-footballs-TD-Moultry-is-expected-to-be-back-for-his-fifth-year-with-the-Tigers-in-2021-159179688/

1 hour ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Just my opinion, TD should have never been moved to the line. 

I was just about to say, this gives me hope that he is no longer "needed" at Buck, and that we feel pretty good about the guys coming up. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I was just about to say, this gives me hope that he is no longer "needed" at Buck, and that we feel pretty good about the guys coming up. 

His high school tape was one of my favorites to watch. Do not understand why they moved him from LB. 

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I wonder how Romello Height is coming along. I remember people saying he could be great at the position before he got injured 

Moultry could flat out not play MLB in Steele's scheme. They have to cover tons of ground and play sideline to sideline. I'm curious how Mason plans to pull off using a ILB that main job is to stuff the run. The spread almost forces teams to only use 2 LBs or give up a ton of speed to the offense. If you put Moutry in the middle you have to have 2 speedsters on either side of him that can cover and meet backs on the edges. But it was obvious TD was not going to make it on DL so gotta try something

10 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Moultry could flat out not play MLB in Steele's scheme. They have to cover tons of ground and play sideline to sideline. I'm curious how Mason plans to pull off using a ILB that main job is to stuff the run. The spread almost forces teams to only use 2 LBs or give up a ton of speed to the offense. If you put Moutry in the middle you have to have 2 speedsters on either side of him that can cover and meet backs on the edges. But it was obvious TD was not going to make it on DL so gotta try something

He shined his freshman season in his natural role. I guess we’ll never know why they made him move. Like Bird said he’ll say to drop a few pounds but it shouldn’t be too hard with the nutrition programs these kids have 

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

He shined his freshman season in his natural role. I guess we’ll never know why they made him move. Like Bird said he’ll say to drop a few pounds but it shouldn’t be too hard with the nutrition programs these kids have 

Are you saying he played LB at AU his freshman season? I do not remember that 🤔

11 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Are you saying he played LB at AU his freshman season? I do not remember that 🤔

When the first depth chart came out in 2017, Moultry's freshman season, he was listed as a backup to Jeff Holland.

Link

Archived