Cornelius Williams New WR Coach

Tony4AU

9 hours ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Anyone watched troy play last few years? I have. I promise their development of the wr position has exceeded auburns that last few years. 

not hard to accomplish..

11 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Damn there’s a lot of people on here who really don’t know what they’re talking about when it comes to the game they supposedly love

Facts

What a strange couple of months this has been. If you had told me the day after Gus was fired that this would be the Auburn staff on January 16, 2021, I would have been super confused and frantically googling half the names, including the head coach. Man I hope this thing works out. I just can’t see a picture a reality in my head where this WR coach out recruits Bama, Ole Miss, Miss St, Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, or LSU for high profile receivers. Here’s to hoping Harsin is as gifted at evaluating talent as some of you guys say he is. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1

24 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What a strange couple of months this has been. If you had told me the day after Gus was fired that this would be the Auburn staff on January 16, 2021, I would have been super confused and frantically googling half the names, including the head coach. Man I hope this thing works out. I just can’t see a picture a reality in my head where this WR coach out recruits Bama, Ole Miss, Miss St, Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, or LSU for high profile receivers. Here’s to hoping Harsin is as gifted at evaluating talent as some of you guys say he is. 

How did you feel about that same recruiting question when our previous WR coach was hired?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can he recruit? lol. Ya got damn right!

Cornelius-Williams-21-247x300.jpg

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Haha 3
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, tsande07 said:

How did you feel about that same recruiting question when our previous WR coach was hired?

I felt the same way, but I knew who he was😂. I’m not saying that Williams isn’t a good fit or can’t do well. I’m just mentioning how random this has all been. People throw names out for all these coaches and then 8/10 times you’re blindsided from left field with someone you hadn’t even thought about. I’m optimistic about this staff, but I’d be lying if I said I’m 100% confident that all these guys will be good. This staff is a good mix of guys I’m confident will come in and be great (Mason and Caddy), and guys that I just need to wait and see Williams and Ethridge. They all seem like good likable guys, but I feel like as Auburn fans we long for a day when we can 100% trust our coach to make the right choices. So I think a lot of people are of the mindset, Harsin is great, so anyone he hires has to be great as well. But in reality I think Harsin is new to running a football program this large in the SEC, so he’s taking guys he can get and trying to do his best to build something that can compete in this league.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m just mentioning how random this has all been

It might seem random to you but CBH has been very methodical and measured in all of these hires. He’s done his homework and spoken to people with knowledge about each coach. He’s brought in a diverse group from older to younger, SEC to Mt West etc, no ties to Auburn to Auburn greats... I could go on but I think you see my point. It’s been anything but random and I love what he’s doing!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I felt the same way, but I knew who he was😂. I’m not saying that Williams isn’t a good fit or can’t do well. I’m just mentioning how random this has all been. People throw names out for all these coaches and then 8/10 times you’re blindsided from left field with someone you hadn’t even thought about. I’m optimistic about this staff, but I’d be lying if I said I’m 100% confident that all these guys will be good. This staff is a good mix of guys I’m confident will come in and be great (Mason and Caddy), and guys that I just need to wait and see Williams and Ethridge. They all seem like good likable guys, but I feel like as Auburn fans we long for a day when we can 100% trust our coach to make the right choices. So I think a lot of people are of the mindset, Harsin is great, so anyone he hires has to be great as well. But in reality I think Harsin is new to running a football program this large in the SEC, so he’s taking guys he can get and trying to do his best to build something that can compete in this league.

What makes you think you now more about football coaches and their ability than Harsin?  It seems like you put too much stock into believing internet rumors, and when they turn out false you let emotion take over.   

Relax.  Let it play out.  Harsin has more experience and knows more about football than 99% of this board.    He has been coaching for over a decade.   He has the experience to know what it takes to run a successful program.  He knows what works and what doesn't work.   He understands which coaches can help and which can not. 

Harsin's reputation as a coach is on the line.  He is not going to go out and hire sum bum as a coach.  It would only hurt Harsin in the long run.  

There are  hundreds of great coaches in college football.  Most are not household names yet.   

The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. 

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

What makes you think you now more about football coaches and their ability than Harsin?  It seems like you put too much stock into believing internet rumors, and when they turn out false you let emotion take over.  

Lord, I remember hearing this a lot during Malzahn's reign. 

We'll all see just how good Harsin is. I don't see why - after a number of larger names were proposed - being a little caught off guard that a longtime Sunbelt coach few have heard of was named. I haven't seen anyone on here say this guy or anyone else on the staff is going to fail. 

• Like 1

In my opinion, it was doubtful that most of the known names we’re coming without some tie to offensive game planning ( such as “passing game coordinator) and his plan called for a position coach only.

10 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Lord, I remember hearing this a lot during Malzahn's reign. 

We'll all see just how good Harsin is. I don't see why - after a number of larger names were proposed - being a little caught off guard that a longtime Sunbelt coach few have heard of was named. I haven't seen anyone on here say this guy or anyone else on the staff is going to fail. 

BS.  Malzahn had very little experience as a head coach.  9 days short of 1 year at Arkansas State!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Damn there’s a lot of people on here who really don’t know what they’re talking about when it comes to the game they supposedly love

That's why I don't post often!! 😀

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So I think a lot of people are of the mindset, Harsin is great, so anyone he hires has to be great as well.

I don’t think a single person is like this. I think a bunch of us realize this is something foreign to Auburn. An outsider who is actually doing things his way and not the typical way with “splash hires” like it seems that some of you guys want, so you rather would doubt instead of giving the benefit of a doubt. You guys don’t even know how this will play out but already doubting. Some of you guys wouldn’t even know a quality football coach if they slapped you in the face but finding the most bizarre reasons to put it down. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

Welcome to AU coach Williams!! Its a good thing our other Coach Williams goes by Caddy or else this could be confusing! 

I like the hire but i've been a fan of all the hires. I guess i'm in the mode of being happy until given a reason not to be. I'm not usually so rah rah but i guess just the idea of something new on the football side has got me excited. In general though i'm a fan of having young coaches that players can relate too. Especially when those coaches actually played the position, played it well, and have experience at the next level. This is a young coach who has all that and he has like 6 years or so of coaching experience in our state. I'm not one that thinks you have to have worked at high level jobs and signed 5* players in the past to sign them in the future. Give me a program that maximizes a players skills, an offense that maximizes a players opportunity to succeed, and a position coach that a player can relate to and believe in and i think you have a recipe for success and you'll find all the talented players that you want. 

Also something else i have noticed about this coaching staff.....no egos. I'm not saying that Craig or Tee have egos and are bad influences on players but I could see them coming in thinking their track record speaks for them. And they are right to think that because it does. But that does not seem to be the profile that Harsin is looking for in these hires. And i imagine that is because Harsin is not an ego kind of guy. He's a former walkon that had to work his tail off for a shot. And i think that kind of attitude fits Auburn and what we need right now. A bunch of coaches and players that are going to go and out work the competition. 

We have a complete staff on the offensive side of the ball now and i really like how it has come together. We have Harsin who will be very involved as a former QB and OC. We have Bobo and Friend who are both seasoned accomplished recruiters. We have Bedell who is a former pro player and has worked with Harsin in the past. And finally we have Caddy and Coach Williams who are young guys and former players that are trying to prove themselves in the coaching world. Excellent mix of experience and youth with connections all over the country. Can't wait for this season!! War Eagle!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Relax.  Let it play out.  Harsin has more experience and knows more about football than 99% of this board.    He has been coaching for over a decade.   He has the experience to know what it takes to run a successful program.  He knows what works and what doesn't work.   He understands which coaches can help and which can not. 

Harsin's reputation as a coach is on the line.  He is not going to go out and hire sum bum as a coach.  It would only hurt Harsin in the long run.  

There are  hundreds of great coaches in college football.  Most are not household names yet.   

The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. 

Dude what’s with you people getting so testy over people having opinions. Isn’t that what a forum is for? Or are we all just supposed to blindly worship the ground CBH walks on or else? I’m completely relaxed pal. I’m not going to lose any sleep over football. I can assure you. But I can certainly have concern over the recruiting ability of coaches without being anti Bryan Harsin. This whole, “how dare you not fully accept every Bryan Harsin decision trend is interesting to say the least”. Half the people, including myself, on this forum didn’t even know anything about Harsin before he was hired. And now, all of a sudden we either need to treat him like he’s Nick Saban or kick rocks. 

50 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t think a single person is like this. I think a bunch of us realize this is something foreign to Auburn. An outsider who is actually doing things his way and not the typical way with “splash hires” like it seems that some of you guys want, so you rather would doubt instead of giving the benefit of a doubt. You guys don’t even know how this will play out but already doubting. Some of you guys wouldn’t even know a quality football coach if they slapped you in the face but finding the most bizarre reasons to put it down. 

Look man, I fully accept his right to hire who he thinks will help him build the football program. But that doesn’t mean everyone he’s hired was his first, second, or even third choice. Y’all are confusing objective commentary as non support. The fact of the matter is this guy was a coaching Troy and non of us were saying “man I hope Harsin can land Cornelius Williams”. He’s a relatively up and coming guy, and we don’t know how he will do, because he doesn’t have much of a resume to indicate one way or another. Same with Ethridge and Schmedding. There’s nothing wrong with being cautious with your optimism and voicing why. It’s what a forum is for. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

...This whole, “how dare you not fully accept every Bryan Harsin decision trend is interesting to say the least”. ...And now, all of a sudden we either need to treat him like he’s Nick Saban or kick rocks. 

Do you hear yourself?    Borderline fantastical.    

Most of the level headed posters here are in wait-and-see mode, and will give Harsin the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.

No one has said or even alluded to  “how dare you not fully accept every Bryan Harsin decision trend is interesting to say the least”.

No one has said or even alluded to "And now, all of a sudden we either need to treat him like he’s Nick Saban or kick rocks. "

Those are extremes  and slightly paranoid.   The same as: "You think Harsin should choose the coaches you want or Harsin should kick rocks."

It is an extreme based on falsehoods.  Can you see how offensive that is?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Look man, I fully accept his right to hire who he thinks will help him build the football program. But that doesn’t mean everyone he’s hired was his first, second, or even third choice. Y’all are confusing objective commentary as non support. The fact of the matter is this guy was a coaching Troy and non of us were saying “man I hope Harsin can land Cornelius Williams”. He’s a relatively up and coming guy, and we don’t know how he will do, because he doesn’t have much of a resume to indicate one way or another. Same with Ethridge and Schmedding. There’s nothing wrong with being cautious with your optimism and voicing why. It’s what a forum is for. 

That’s the point. You don’t even know if it is first , second and third choice. I don’t mind objective commentary if it is based on data . But you legit said you can’t see it being successful simply because you had to google the guys name. That is silly measure to base any of your conclusions on. That’s all I am saying. If you want to live by that measure that is fine. Honestly , a big reason people think like this because you guys follow people like JBOY who hint at big names and then when it is out of left field, you are like who? Do research , follow their previous experience then provide objective data as to reason why. The forum was much better when we could debate based on that. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Do you hear yourself?    Borderline fantastical.    

Most of the level headed posters here are in wait-and-see mode, and will give Harsin the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.

No one has said or even alluded to  “how dare you not fully accept every Bryan Harsin decision trend is interesting to say the least”.

No one has said or even alluded to "And now, all of a sudden we either need to treat him like he’s Nick Saban or kick rocks. "

Those are extremes  and slightly paranoid.   The same as: "You think Harsin should choose the coaches you want or Harsin should kick rocks."

It is an extreme based on falsehoods.  Can you see how offensive that is?

What about my commentary on this hire or any of the other ones indicates that I’m not in wait and see mode? Go ahead. Quote it. I’ll wait. 

11 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

just can’t see a picture a reality in my head where this WR coach out recruits Bama, Ole Miss, Miss St, Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, or LSU for high profile receivers

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What about my commentary on this hire or any of the other ones indicates that I’m not in wait and see mode? Go ahead. Quote it. I’ll wait. 

How did you come to that conclusion already 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s the point. You don’t even know if it is first , second and third choice. I don’t mind objective commentary if it is based on data . But you legit said you can’t see it being successful simply because you had to google the guys name. That is silly measure to base any of your conclusions on. That’s all I am saying. If you want to live by that measure that is fine. Honestly , a big reason people think like this because you guys follow people like JBOY who hint at big names and then when it is out of left field, you are like who? Do research , follow their previous experience then provide objective data as to reason why. The forum was much better when we could debate based on that. 

No I said I have a hard time picturing a reality where this guy can sway recruits from all of those SEC schools with established passing offenses. Doesn’t mean he will or won’t be successful. But to blindly assume he will is awfully risky, imo. Name recognition is absolutely a big deal and completely relevant. That’s why people mentioned names like Tee Martin, Dell McGee, and Bryan McClendon. And nobody here mentioned the name Cornelius Williams until yesterday. 

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

No I said I have a hard time picturing a reality where this guy can sway recruits from all of those SEC schools with established passing offenses. Doesn’t mean he will or won’t be successful. But to blindly assume he will is awfully risky, imo. Name recognition is absolutely a big deal and completely relevant. That’s why people mentioned names like Tee Martin, Dell McGee, and Bryan McClendon. And nobody here mentioned the name Cornelius Williams until yesterday. 

Who has blindly assumed anything ?! Again how did you come to the conclusion that they won’t? It seems like you have blindly assumed the opposite ?

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

How did you come to that conclusion already 

Because he’s a relatively brand new coach who is WR coaching for a guy who is brand new to coaching and recruiting in the SEC. I didn’t indicate that he won’t be successful as a recruiter. I’m not some football recruiting oracle. It’s just not something I can picture in my head, and if you can picture some guy committed to Saban or Kiffen saying “oh snap Auburn just landed Cornelius Williams, lemme rethink my commitment, please tell me what you know about this guy that gives you that kind of confidence. I want to be excited and optimistic about him, as well. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Because he’s a relatively brand new coach who is WR coaching for a guy who is brand new to coaching and recruiting in the SEC. I didn’t indicate that he won’t be successful as a recruiter. I’m not some football recruiting oracle. It’s just not something I can picture in my head, and if you can picture some guy committed to Saban or Kiffen saying “oh snap Auburn just landed Cornelius Williams, lemme rethink my commitment, please tell me what you know about this guy that gives you that kind of confidence. I want to be excited and optimistic about him, as well. 

So again , it is not based on any objective data. It is simply your own subjective reasoning based on him being a brand new coach to the SEC. You don’t have to be optimistic about the hire. But don’t get upset when people push back on your conclusion  that is not based on any type of objective data. 

Edited by DAG