Worst Auburn performance you ever witnessed

AUght2win

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, bigbird said:

Your description fits the Gus tenure perfectly.  Pad the record with cupcakes so 7-5 & 8-4 looks decent.

But he beat the turds three times?????????????????

11 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Utah State and Jacksonville State deeply scarred me.

You were scarred way before then............rumor has it

On 2/25/2021 at 1:43 PM, AUght2win said:

I wasn't there, but I can't believe this game hasn't been mentioned. Auburn-UGA 2006. Both losses from that year were AWFUL. But we were number 5, at home, with UGA unranked. We were still very much in the national title hunt.

Brandon Cox was a vet at that point, and went 4-12 for 35 yards with 4 INTs. 

It was a downpour that day and the stands emptied out early. I have never seen JHS that empty outside of a pandemic. 

When viewed from the lens of "expectation vs reality" this may be number 1. It's like comparing Sharknado to The Last Jedi. 2012 vs TAMU was Sharknado; 2006 vs UGA was The Last Jedi.

23 hours ago, bigbird said:

Your description fits the Gus tenure perfectly.  Pad the record with cupcakes so 7-5 & 8-4 looks decent.

Wait a minute. I’m not at all upset about Malzahn leaving, but Auburn played quite a few marquee opponents in first games and usually won.

1 hour ago, DyeCampAlum said:

Wait a minute. I’m not at all upset about Malzahn leaving, but Auburn played quite a few marquee opponents in first games and usually won.

You're right.

2013: Washington St 31-24

2014: 3rd game K-state 20-14

2015: Louisville 31-24

2016: 2nd game Clemson 13-19

2017: Clemson 6-14

2018: Washington 21-16

2019: Oregon 27-21

2020: SEC only

But remove the OOC games and we were a ~.500 team.

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Both fantastic answers to the OP.

Hard to pick which one was worst

Just now, bigbird said:

Indeed. One looked more embarrassing but the other was historically terrible from a statistical perspective. 

The defense playing as well as they did in both games makes the losses that much worse. 

The 42-0 beat down by UT in 1980. Hot as Hell , wore dark jeans, and sitting around a lot of Volunteer fan, made for a long day.

2006 Arky is right there for me because of personal attendance. Number 2 in the country and got run roughshod over. UGa later wasn’t a shock to me after watching how we performed against Arky.

2001 Bammer a close second for one I attended. Two very average backs on a very mediocre Bammer team ran all over our ass averaging 9+ yds per carry. What a debacle

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Not really for me the 14 QB's we played and Gus changing the game plan week of the game would be the one I pick Plus playing at home good golly Miss Molly

On 2/26/2021 at 10:36 PM, bdc81 said:

1973 Auburn vs Tennessee  Lost 0-21  The worst road performance of the latter 20th century.

Game followed two epic wins against the Vols in '71 and '72

Auburn fumbled the first possession and a driving rainstorm ensued.

I was visiting friends and sitting in the student section.  Everyone had an umbrella to divert the rainstorm onto my head.  Auburns offense was so inept that Coach Bill Battle had Tennessee punt on 1st down the entire 4th qtr.  The student section serenaded the visitors by singing "Auburn, Auburn how'd you like to KMA"  Real classy folks in the hill country!

The good news is that in that era the payback game was an item.

Check the score from Legion Field in 1974.

Little doc

This game is by far the winner.  I went to that one and it was miserable.

What would this thread look like if we organized our options into worst games of the decade.

60's

70's:

80's

90's

00's

10's

20's

To me the 10's would be the most difficult to zero in on because there were so many inexplicable implosions.

21 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Both fantastic answers to the OP.

Worst prepared Auburn team ever well so it seemed at that time. Auburn looked like they didn’t even know where they we’re at. This was the beginning of the slow slide to mediocrity under Gus

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To me the 10's would be the most difficult to zero in on because there were so many inexplicable implosions.

You could explicit those two close losses to Clemson by acknowledging that one was to the eventual national champion and the other was to a team that made the playoffs. People want to act like those two losses were to The Citadel or some-such.

5 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Worst prepared Auburn team ever well so it seemed at that time. Auburn looked like they didn’t even know where they we’re at. This was the beginning of the slow slide to mediocrity under Gus

Absolutely. Gus was exposed as a coach who was more preoccupied with what the other team could do than with preparing his team to do what they could do as well as possible. Clemson won that game before they even got off the bus. And it was a recurring theme for the rest of his tenure. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You could explicit those two close losses to Clemson by acknowledging that one was to the eventual national champion and the other was to a team that made the playoffs. People want to act like those two losses were to The Citadel or some-such.

It doesn't matter who the opponents were. Both should've been wins, if we didn't Gus things up. If anything, playing Clemson that close with that bad of offense and coaching is even more infuriating.

Aaaaaaaand there's the "blame the schedule" whining, right on time. 

117 yards of total offense in 2017. Against a team that gave up almost 270 a game on average that year. 

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Aaaaaaaand there's the "blame the schedule" whining, right on time. 

117 yards of total offense in 2017. Against a team that gave up almost 270 a game on average that year. 

You should be able to line up and run the same exact play the entire game and everybody knows and still get 100 yards.

Run a pass play with 3 options the entire game and just off luck have at the least 100 yards to offer

The absolute worst I've seen in person:

- 2001 Iron Bowl

- 2002 Arkansas

- 2003 USC

- 2003 at GA Tech

- 2009 UK

- The 2nd half of 2017 at LSU

I've seen other blowouts, but some were justifiable.  These were not.

Archived