Chizik 2010 vs Harsin 2022 recruiting

Mikey

Their classes will be in the exact same situation, coach hired the previous winter and coached through one complete season.

Chizik's 2010 class was ranked #4 nationally with three 5* players signed. (Rivals)

Can Harsin match Chizik? We'll know in February.

• Facepalm 1

24 minutes ago, gravejd said:

That initial Chizik staff was awesome.

Those guys were great recruiters without a doubt. He specifically built the staff with that stated purpose. Their ability to coach up the talent they recruited and everything else that goes along with being a college coach was less than stellar, hence the disaster of 2012 two years after a natty.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

I’m going out on a limb and say Chizik wins this matchup. That initial Chizik staff was awesome. We had ace recruiters all over the place. Too bad it imploded so spectacularly what 4 seasons later?? Great lesson that character of the guys you bring in can be just as important as talent. 

It's almost like why can't we have Ace recruiting and great coaches? Would be nice 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

Their classes will be in the exact same situation,

It's really not, tho. Two huge issues. First, Covid limiting the staff for meeting anyone for 5 months since they were hired. Second, NSD in December has moved the recruiting calendar forward 2 months. So thry are 7 months behind. I really hope that's what is holding them back

I'll say this, that 2010 staff would be recruitimg better than this current staff. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mikey said:

Their classes will be in the exact same situation, coach hired the previous winter and coached through one complete season.

Chizik's 2010 class was ranked #4 nationally with three 5* players signed. (Rivals)

This thread was intended as a joke. Right? Ha ha ha. That's a good one. Only a comedian would try to compare outcomes with Chizik, when he had NOTHING holding him back. No pandemic. No restrictions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fredst said:

Those guys were great recruiters without a doubt. He specifically built the staff with that stated purpose. Their ability to coach up the talent they recruited and everything else that goes along with being a college coach was less than stellar, hence the disaster of 2012 two years after a natty.

He hired the wrong off coord and he should have been given the chance to find the right one, but no, it was all Gus that won the 2010 national championship. Gus ruin what we know of Auburn football with the help of this fan base, and we are dearly paying for it now, oh by the way, jaba should be included in this as well falling for we must protect this house, when we should have sign a deal with nike.

22 hours ago, Mikey said:

Never seen someone so unhappy with life before.

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, slyinsocal said:

This thread was intended as a joke. Right? Ha ha ha. That's a good one. Only a comedian would try to compare outcomes with Chizik, when he had NOTHING holding him back. No pandemic. No restrictions.

I mean I agree that this thread is laughable, but the pandemic excuse is dead and stupid imo. Every school is dealing with the ramifications of the covid restrictions. I'm keeping a level head and I think we are about to get some momentum on the trail, but I also think slight concern (not panic) is warranted, and I realize that we need to pull in a top 15 class to keep up

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, au302 said:

the pandemic excuse is dead and stupid imo. Every school is dealing with the ramifications of the covid restrictions.

Yes, the pandemic is global and has affected everyone’s recruiting. No, not everyone has been dealing with the pandemic while transitioning to an almost completely different staff. It has not affected every school to the same extent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2021 at 12:46 AM, Mikey said:

Can Harsin match Chizik? We'll know in February

I hope he doesn’t match Chizik in having 3 seasons of 3 or less wins. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Several of those 2010 kids ended up getting arrested for violent crimes or getting kicked off the team for other reasons. Chad Slade, Corey Lemonier and Cam Newton- who only came to Auburn because Kenny Rogers screwed it up for MSU- were the only legit NFL players in that class.

Doesn't really matter where this class is ranked. What matters is what we think about this class 3-4 (or 11) years from now. We get 10 serious contributors out of this class and it's easily better than that 2010 class was.

That sounds great to say, but the reality is that it doesn't matter so much if we have the #12 ranked class or #9.  It matters a great deal if we are looking at the # 34 ranked class if our rivals have top 5 classes. Coaching up happens, but we can't rely on that alone with every position to make up that kind of ground.  Bobo has a history of coaching up QBs but, other than that, there aren't many position coaches that I can point to and declare the new coach to be a definite improvement from a player development viewpoint.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Only 1 of those being as HC at Auburn. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, eaglenest said:

He hired the wrong off coord and he should have been given the chance to find the right one, but no, it was all Gus that won the 2010 national championship. Gus ruin what we know of Auburn football with the help of this fan base, and we are dearly paying for it now, oh by the way, jaba should be included in this as well falling for we must protect this house, when we should have sign a deal with nike.

Whatever you want to believe is bliss, but Nike giving us pennies was and and is not preferable to UA paying us real money.  By the way, like him or not, Gus played a major role in both 2010 and 2013.  To act as though he didn't is foolish.

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

One was enough

Amen to that.   If he had hired Lashlee to take over the offense, it is anybody's guess how things would have turned out, but I have to believe that the result would have been better than we got with coach killer Loefler.

Edited by AU9377

35 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Only 1 of those being as HC at Auburn. 

1 too many for me. 

8 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I think it's safe to say we all hope that. However, if there's a national championship in the mix, I might have to think about it a while.

38 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

there aren't many position coaches that I can point to and declare the new coach to be a definite improvement from a player development viewpoint.

Based on what? They haven’t coached their first game at AU yet. 

10 hours ago, fredst said:

Yes, the pandemic is global and has affected everyone’s recruiting. No, not everyone has been dealing with the pandemic while transitioning to an almost completely different staff. It has not affected every school to the same extent

Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina are well ahead of AU right now and they face the same things you mention. I hope and expect that we'll finish ahead of those schools by final signing day in February. Time will tell. Right now we are dead last in recruiting in the SEC.

• Like 1

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

Based on what? They haven’t coached their first game at AU yet. 

This isn't their first job.   Look, I hope that they set the world on fire. I'm just not willing to place all my faith in one basket.

• Like 1