Chizik 2010 vs Harsin 2022 recruiting

Mikey

On 7/8/2021 at 9:01 AM, aubiefifty said:

mikey what is your purpose here?

Comparing Chizik's recruiting class after he finished one full season at AU to what Harsin's will be after he finishes one full season at AU. Same frame of reference. It will be interesting to see where we finish when the class is wrapped up next February. Talk of COVID-19/coronavirus is odd. Every school in America faced that same situation, it doesn't affect ranking.

22 hours ago, DAG said:

DID NOT AGE WELL

That's absurd. There's no way for the question to age well or poorly. It's a comparison. Whether Harsin's '22 class matches Chick's  class of '10 or Harsin's '22 class finishes 100th, the question will still be answered. I'm learning that there's a lot about the written word that you don't understand.

Edited by TitanTiger
quit evading filters

On 7/8/2021 at 11:32 PM, Mikey said:

Comparing Chizik's recruiting class after he finished one full season at AU to what Harsin's will be after he finishes one full season at AU. Same frame of reference. It will be interesting to see where we finish when the class is wrapped up next February. Talk of COVID-19/coronavirus is odd. Every school in America faced that same situation, it doesn't affect ranking.

Every school in America is dealing with it now. Not a single school in America was dealing with it in 2010. That you either cannot or will not see the difference is why everyone thinks you are such a joke.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Every school in America is dealing with it now. Not a single school in America was dealing with it in 2010. That you either cannot or will not see the difference is why everyone thinks you are such a joke.

And not every school introduced a new staff in the middle of it.

But he knows all this. He's not ever going to stop behaving this way but maybe his recently vocal apologist might see things a little more clearly.

PS- I'm sure he will be very honest and claim that he still would have made this very useful and valid comparison thread if he hadn't had internet access until today to make it. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

And not every school introduced a new staff in the middle of it.

But he knows all this. He's not ever going to stop behaving this way but maybe his recently vocal apologist might see things a little more clearly.

PS- I'm sure he will be very honest and claim that he still would have made this very useful and valid comparison thread if he hadn't had internet access until today to make it. 

It’s just such a random thread to be made but I guess it’s truly not. I am going to keep repeating this, Mikey and that Cleo poster does NOT support this guy. They are loyalist to Gus only. They try to say the right things at times , but their true colors eventually come out. Gus also has it like  that way with a minority of Arkansas fans as well. 

This is how you know this guy is bias as heck. Last year when Gus was recruiting piss poor, I specifically remember him saying it hurts Auburn more that players can’t be on Campus . This is the difference , even though other campuses were going through the same thing, but seemingly had a better tele recruiting experience. Now he is open to the everyone has to go through or discussion. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DAG said:

This is how you know this guy is bias as heck. Last year when Gus was recruiting piss poor, I specifically remember him saying it hurts Auburn more that players can’t be on Campus . This is the difference , even though other campuses were going through the same thing, but seemingly had a better tele recruiting experience. Now he is open to the everyone has to go through or discussion. 

i have learned to keep my mouth shut now.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, auburnphan said:

BUMP

So, are you thinking that Harsin will match Chizik's #4 class ranking and add three 5* prospects on the way? He's got a long way to go!

On 7/9/2021 at 7:09 AM, Rednilla said:

Why yes, yes they are. Which means the playing field is level now, just as it was level back then when no school was dealing with it. How did you find that confusing?

18 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Why yes, yes they are. Which means the playing field is level now, just as it was level back then when no school was dealing with it. How did you find that confusing?

...I am continually taken aback at your lack of understanding. Because no schools were dealing with it in 2010, new coaching staffs had a much better chance to connect with the players. Because all schools are dealing with it now, schools that do not have new coaching staffs have been at a much greater advantage to the place they were in at this time, relative to the schools who did have new staffs, during the 2010 recruiting cycle. Does that spell things out clearly enough for you?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, Rednilla said:

.I am continually taken aback at your lack of understanding.

He understands, just enjoys being the contrarian. It’s his thing

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

So, are you thinking that Harsin will match Chizik's #4 class ranking and add three 5* prospects on the way? He's got a long way to go!

I remember 2 5 stars Dyer and Reed with Dyer being the only consensus 5 star. I also remember a 14th ranked class by rating average, a real metric for evaluating class talent as to total points.

since that time there have been new recruiting limits set in place so it would be hard press for Harsin to reach the total points accumulated when they can not sign 33 players like In 2010.   Also the early signing day is an absolute factor to consider as commitments are secured and signed in December and it will be harder to capitalize on getting guys to switch when coaching changes and other factors happen in the cycle in late December and January when they were finally able to get the majority of commitments.   Of course you know all this already and you just enjoy being an ass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I remember 2 5 stars Dyer and Reed with Dyer being the only consensus 5 star. I also remember a 14th ranked class by rating average, a real metric for evaluating class talent as to total points.

since that time there have been new recruiting limits set in place so it would be hard press for Harsin to reach the total points accumulated when they can not sign 33 players like In 2010.   Also the early signing day is an absolute factor to consider as commitments are secured and signed in December and it will be harder to capitalize on getting guys to switch when coaching changes and other factors happen in the cycle in late December and January when they were finally able to get the majority of commitments.   Of course you know all this already and you just enjoy being an ass.

Stop it with the logic.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I thought I already posed this for the literate readers. Here it is again, so you can see three 5* guys. https://auburn.rivals.com/commitments/Football/2010

Why are you making lame excuses before the recruiting season is half over? The current staff could pull it off yet. Have a little faith.

Why are you talking total points? That has little to do with ranking, which is the subject here. Others can't sign 33 either, so it's all the same as far as ranking goes. Start your own thread if you want to talk points.

Clue: Acting like signing one 4* player is some great cause for celebratory bumps doesn't speak well for this year's class.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

I thought I already posed this for the literate readers. Here it is again, so you can see three 5* guys. https://auburn.rivals.com/commitments/Football/2010

Why are you making lame excuses before the recruiting season is half over? The current staff could pull it off yet. Have a little faith.

Why are you talking total points? That has little to do with ranking, which is the subject here. Others can't sign 33 either, so it's all the same as far as ranking goes. Start your own thread if you want to talk points.

Clue: Acting like signing one 4* player is some great cause for celebratory bumps doesn't speak well for this year's class.

Okay, again, on AUFamily, we go by the ratings of 247Composite, which has us with two 5 stars that year: https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2010-Football/Commits/

Why did you make the comparison between Chizik's and Harsin's second recruiting class in the first place? It couldn't have been to undercut any positivity that Harsin and company build by saying it's still not as good as the shortest tenured head coach in modern Auburn football history did, could it? No, you had no underlying motive for this thread, did you?

Clue: No one has signed yet this year, only committed. Furthermore, in the past three weeks, we've picked up three 4 star prospect commitments and one 3 star who is borderline 4 stars, so it's not as if we're just going crazy because a single guy committed.

*EDIT* I thought it might be prudent to point out that, in the comment I quoted here, you go from saying "have a little faith" in the middle to pointing out something that "doesn't speak well for this year's class." So which is it? Should we have a little faith, or should we be concerned? You're all over the place here lately, Mike.

Edited by Rednilla
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Okay, again, on AUFamily, we go by the ratings of 247Composite,

I go by Rivals. That's my go-to site.  Maybe you can point me to the rule that says only some other site is allowed here.

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Why did you make the comparison between Chizik's and Harsin's second recruiting class in the first place?

Because, (duh) that's the time frame we are in right now.

"Have a little faith" was  pointing out that rejoicing over one 4* commit is a weak look. We'll hopefully do better as the cycle progresses. At least, I thought we would do better up until two days ago. Now, I'm not so sure about the overall management capabilities of this staff.

While I didn't think they could match Gus's second year in their second, I did think we could put together a top 12 class. I'm now trending towards "see before I believe".

• Facepalm 1

Still curious if anyone thinks that 2010 class is actually what we should be shooting for. In terms of rankings, sure, but I'm talking about in terms of football players you can win with 2-4 years down the road.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Still curious if anyone thinks that 2010 class is actually what we should be shooting for. In terms of rankings, sure, but I'm talking about in terms of football players you can win with 2-4 years down the road.

I know what you're getting at, but that's a tough one for me. With the way you framed it as down the road, probably not. But you don't get a national championship or the Kick 6 without that class, so I would take it over the current one. 

Mikey has been hammered hard in this thread and maybe he has an agenda, but it is not that crazy to make the comparison. It's a discussion about new coaches recruiting at Auburn.  We could do Gus in 2013, which was a nice looking class. 

And he's right that it's pretty weak that every time we get a commitment, there are several comments like "but I thought Harsin couldn't recruit." I'm feeling better about recruiting now, but pulling into 13th in the SEC isn't the time to gloat. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cbo said:

And he's right that it's pretty weak that every time we get a commitment, there are several comments like "but I thought Harsin couldn't recruit." I'm feeling better about recruiting now, but pulling into 13th in the SEC isn't the time to gloat. 

No argument here on that. Especially since we're not yet addressing our biggest and most glaring need.

But with regards to 2010, take Cam away and we're an 8 win team at best. Yes, Cam counts, but you don't pull one guy for one year and then use that to highlight the shortcomings of future classes IMO.

All I'm saying is that if the guys we do sign are still contributing in 2024 and beyond and if we are a stable, winning program in 2024 and beyond, then in my mind Harsin will have recruited this class better than Chizik did that one.

Side note, must be blowing some folks' minds to see a coach praised for some things and criticized for others. Do they love him? Do they hate him? Well, which is it got dangit?!?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No argument here on that. Especially since we're not yet addressing our biggest and most glaring need.

But with regards to 2010, take Cam away and we're an 8 win team at best. Yes, Cam counts, but you don't pull one guy for one year and then use that to highlight the shortcomings of future classes IMO.

All I'm saying is that if the guys we do sign are still contributing in 2024 and beyond and if we are a stable, winning program in 2024 and beyond, then in my mind Harsin will have recruited this class better than Chizik did that one.

Side note, must be blowing some folks' minds to see a coach praised for some things and criticized for others. Do they love him? Do they hate him? Well, which is it got dangit?!?

Haha, why are they parsing good from bad? Pick a side!

It also comes down to personal preference. I'd take a national title and a kick 6 moment, even if it means a year like 2012. I'm here to be entertained!!! I know some disagree. 

It's frustrating not to have consistency, but the predictable 8-5 seasons bother me the most. Just no fun. 

Here's hoping we get the highs AND the consistency with Harsin. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cbo said:

Haha, why are they parsing good from bad? Pick a side!

It also comes down to personal preference. I'd take a national title and a kick 6 moment, even if it means a year like 2012. I'm here to be entertained!!! I know some disagree. 

It's frustrating not to have consistency, but the predictable 8-5 seasons bother me the most. Just no fun. 

Here's hoping we get the highs AND the consistency with Harsin. 

I mean, if there were some formula for that, I'd be all for it! Absolutely. I mean, we all know the formula for completely batsheize things happening year in year out is J + A + B + A = Wheeeeeeee, but 2010>2011>2012>2013... that was... I mean... what the... did we really... holy....

I'll say this, though. Since the thread is specifically about recruiting rankings... I don't think Cam actually counted towards ours since he was a juco transfer. Could be wrong about that, though. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I mean, if there were some formula for that, I'd be all for it! Absolutely. I mean, we all know the formula for completely batsheize things happening year in year out is J + A + B + A = Wheeeeeeee, but 2010>2011>2012>2013... that was... I mean... what the... did we really... holy....

I'll say this, though. Since the thread is specifically about recruiting rankings... I don't think Cam actually counted towards ours since he was a juco transfer. Could be wrong about that, though. 

That's a good point. Gus recruited even better than we thought! Wink, wink, nudge. 

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2021 at 12:21 PM, auburnphan said:

5 and 4 star commit date for 2010 class

Dyer committed in November.

Reed committed in November.

Lemonier committed February 2010

Whitaker committed February 2010

owens committed February 2010

Goodwin committed in December

Mack committed February 2010

Kitchens committed April 

Sanders committed end of September

Gayden in December

carter end of July

Holland in April

3 and 2 star commit dates

Richardson in June

Christian in October

White in February 2010

D Mosley in November 

B Mosley in December

Parker February 2010

McNeal in February 2010

Delaine  in February 2010

White in December

Curry in June

Davis in December

Slade in June

Smith in February 2010

Clark in October

Fariyike February 2010

Phillips February 2010

So the Chizik crew had 5 commits by this date in 2009 for the 2010 recruiting class and did all their heavy work when the season started and players saw the product on the field first…………

ACTUAL FACTS

2010 Commits are in red on August 23rd, 2009

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

2010 Commits are in red on August 23rd, 2009

Context and background matters to reasonable people. Others, ahem, will deny it, and twist it into a pretzel to fit their agenda.

• Love 1