Chizik 2010 vs Harsin 2022 recruiting

Mikey

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

2010 Commits are in red on August 23rd, 2009

So, how close do you think the current staff will get to equaling Chizik's 2nd year recruiting? I was thinking they would make it to the top 12 until the recent virus mess came to light. Now, I don't know what to think.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So, how close do you think the current staff will get to equaling Chizik's 2nd year recruiting? I was thinking they would make it to the top 12 until the recent virus mess came to light. Now, I don't know what to think.

You really thought Harsin would make the top 12 in 2022?

I didn't think we had a chance. More around 20 I figured. 

And I don't see how the virus enters into how Harsin's recruiting is affected. These players don't care about his stand on the vaccine.

Only the media who have an agenda do.... :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 2

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And I don't see how the virus enters into how Harsin's recruiting is affected. These players don't care about his stand on the vaccine.

He's sitting at home while other coaches are coaching. He's already got a number of players missing critical fall reps. We have no idea if we'll be able to compete to the best of this team's ability in every game because players are likely going to miss real games.

And, contrary to increasingly popular belief, the media's main agenda is to tell folks what's going on. And what's going on with Auburn football is the damned head coach is sitting at home right now and will be for another week. 

Are the media not supposed to say that and are parents looking for the right place for their kids not supposed to wonder if Auburn football and Bryan Harsin really have their son's safety (and uninterrupted eligibility) as a top priority?

Why do y'all keep acting as though this couldn't possibly have any real consequences?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He's sitting at home while other coaches are coaching. He's already got a number of players missing critical fall reps. We have no idea if we'll be able to compete to the best of this team's ability in every game because players are likely going to miss real games.

And, contrary to increasingly popular belief, the media's main agenda is to tell folks what's going on. And what's going on with Auburn football is the damned head coach is sitting at home right now and will be for another week. 

Are the media not supposed to say that and are parents looking for the right place for their kids not supposed to wonder if Auburn football and Bryan Harsin really have their son's safety (and uninterrupted eligibility) as a top priority?

Why do y'all keep acting as though this couldn't possibly have any real consequences?

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2021/08/auburn-football-vaccination-rate-continues-to-change-several-au-teams-at-100-percent.html

Trying to look at the bright side here. The article is a bit vague when it comes to football, but some encouraging news nonetheless. Timing is everything. There's time to get through it before game 1. I'm hoping this incident serves as a wake up call, and triggers the rest of the football team to get on board.

Vaccinated or not, this dark cloud will hang over every school. As it has with fully vaccinated major league baseball players and coaches, it seems likely college and NFL teams will experience it at the most inopportune time.

As blind luck would have it, hopefully AU dodged a bullet by it happening now, and not in the middle of the season.

Fingers crossed......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I never really have been one to get a boner over recruiting rankings for many reasons not worth going into at this time.  I do greatly enjoy following recruiting.  You have been my go to guy for understanding a bunch of the recruiting numbers, changes and attrition.  

That 2010 signing day was a day of great joy, probably the best that I can remember.  Not sure we will ever see another like it at Auburn.

The landscape of recruiting has changed so much in the last decade from rules, social media platforms, more big time programs are on an upswing now.  The 5 stars that are available we have so much ground to make up.  Harsin developed his staff differently than Gene which is gonna cause a more gradual improvement in recruiting.  (I expect our WR, RB and Secondary recruiting to stay strong as Mason and the Williams duo have plenty of existing relationships and connections with schools and players already.)  There was less of a need for evaluating and they were able to get into homes quicker.  Let's be honest that coaching staff was basically a dream team of college coaching recruiters with established ties and connections throughout the SE. Chizik also had hired the hottest offensive coordinator in the country and this new offense which everyone wanted to play in.  Chizik had all the eye candy to build something great, was always disappointed how that early success seemed to change who he was as a coach and principles.

With this upcoming 2022 class I expect to see a balance of 4 and 3 star guys.  I think if our O-line can win the battle in the trenches we will have a better class.  Top 15 in average player rating is where I would expect us to be like we were in 2010. We just probably won't have a 5 star this year but who knows things can change in a hurry like it did in the 2010 class.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, steeleagle said:

You really thought Harsin would make the top 12 in 2022?

I didn't think we had a chance. More around 20 I figured. 

If this fiasco with the Covid hasn't cost us some games, I'll eat my Auburn Alumni Association card. There may be forfeits. There is certainly disarray in the program. Coaches and players are missing practices while our competitors are out there getting better. Look around the conference and AU is a laughing stock, the lowest vaccination rate of all 14 teams.

We've been saying wins are important this season. A forfeit here, a disorganized mess there with starters held out and the number of wins won't be what we need to get over the hump. Right now, this "new" AU program doesn't look like the place where people would want to send their sons.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I never really have been one to get a boner over recruiting rankings for many reasons not worth going into at this time.  I do greatly enjoy following recruiting.  You have been my go to guy for understanding a bunch of the recruiting numbers, changes and attrition.  

That 2010 signing day was a day of great joy, probably the best that I can remember.  Not sure we will ever see another like it at Auburn.

The landscape of recruiting has changed so much in the last decade from rules, social media platforms, more big time programs are on an upswing now.  The 5 stars that are available we have so much ground to make up.  Harsin developed his staff differently than Gene which is gonna cause a more gradual improvement in recruiting.  (I expect our WR, RB and Secondary recruiting to stay strong as Mason and the Williams duo have plenty of existing relationships and connections with schools and players already.)  There was less of a need for evaluating and they were able to get into homes quicker.  Let's be honest that coaching staff was basically a dream team of college coaching recruiters with established ties and connections throughout the SE. Chizik also had hired the hottest offensive coordinator in the country and this new offense which everyone wanted to play in.  Chizik had all the eye candy to build something great, was always disappointed how that early success seemed to change who he was as a coach and principles.

With this upcoming 2022 class I expect to see a balance of 4 and 3 star guys.  I think if our O-line can win the battle in the trenches we will have a better class.  Top 15 in average player rating is where I would expect us to be like we were in 2010. We just probably won't have a 5 star this year but who knows things can change in a hurry like it did in the 2010 class.

Some of your points I agree with, some I don't. But, that's life.

I was expecting a great season, 10-2 would have been my prediction and that should have brought in some top-line prospects. Maybe enough to get us to 12th or even in the top ten. Now, I don't know what to predict.

Our Covid situation has put us behind in a setting where it's very hard to catch up once you're in arrears. Nobody knows how much damage that has done to the win/loss columns, or how much damage the extra losses will do to our recruiting.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

If this fiasco with the Covid hasn't cost us some games, I'll eat my Auburn Alumni Association card. There may be forfeits. There is certainly disarray in the program. Coaches and players are missing practices while our competitors are out there getting better. Look around the conference and AU is a laughing stock, the lowest vaccination rate of all 14 teams.

We've been saying wins are important this season. A forfeit here, a disorganized mess there with starters held out and the number of wins won't be what we need to get over the hump. Right now, this "new" AU program doesn't look like the place where people would want to send their sons.

Mr. Doom and Gloom huh?

And who knows what parents think about when they 'send' their sons to Auburn. Many will embrace the coach allowing their son and families to make their personal choices. Many will not.

But there is no way in the long run whatever setbacks this team has, will it have a major impact on recruiting. 

Either they recruit better or they don't. But it won't be bc of a coach's personal preference. Recruits think beyond Covid when deciding...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Mr. Doom and Gloom huh?

And who knows what parents think about when they 'send' their sons to Auburn. Many will embrace the coach allowing their son and families to make their personal choices. Many will not.

But there is no way in the long run whatever setbacks this team has, will it have a major impact on recruiting. 

Either they recruit better or they don't. But it won't be bc of a coach's personal preference. Recruits think beyond Covid when deciding...

It's odd for you to state these things as an absolute. 

Let me ask you this. What happens if we have a big recruiting weekend- is it Sept 10th that people have been talking about?- and key staff (not just coaches, but the many support staff that make those things happen) and/or players are unavailable because of COVID protocols? I mean, it's already out there that we're the anti-vax school. Recruits know that, too. So what happens when they show up and they're told that so-and-so wishes they could be here but they're at home on COVID protocol? Are you really certain that 1) this wouldn't happen or 2) numerous recruits would experience this and it would have no adverse effect on their recruiting experience whatsoever?

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's odd for you to state these things as an absolute. 

Let me ask you this. What happens if we have a big recruiting weekend- is it Sept 10th that people have been talking about?- and key staff (not just coaches, but the many support staff that make those things happen) and/or players are unavailable because of COVID protocols? I mean, it's already out there that we're the anti-vax school. Recruits know that, too. So what happens when they show up and they're told that so-and-so wishes they could be here but they're at home on COVID protocol? Are you really certain that 1) this wouldn't happen or 2) numerous recruits would experience this and it would have no adverse effect on their recruiting experience whatsoever?

All possibilities are on the table ofc.

But even if this scenario happened, there are plenty of other coaches who will be available who can fill the void.

ALso, I feel that if it affects the recruiting of some of them, it could be a very small amount. 

And I think also, by Sept 10th, that after this issue with Harsin and other coaches having covid, and It seems that players are coming around to being vaccinated then we possibly will be at that 80-85% threshold.

ofc with the variant, it seems to not matter as the vax doesn't help as much it seems, so who knows who will be affected, vaccinated or not. 

I do offer one exception.  When I hear at least 1 recruit publicly say they dropped that team from their list bc of their vaccination stand, then I will come back here and apologize to you. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

All possibilities are on the table ofc.

But even if this scenario happened, there are plenty of other coaches who will be available who can fill the void.

ALso, I feel that if it affects the recruiting of some of them, it could be a very small amount. 

And I think also, by Sept 10th, that after this issue with Harsin and other coaches having covid, and It seems that players are coming around to being vaccinated then we possibly will be at that 80-85% threshold.

ofc with the variant, it seems to not matter as the vax doesn't help as much it seems, so who knows who will be affected, vaccinated or not. 

I do offer one exception.  When I hear at least 1 recruit publicly say they dropped that team from their list bc of their vaccination stand, then I will come back here and apologize to you. :)

Lol, no apology will ever be necessary for this conversation. Actually, check that, I get out of hand pretty quick sometimes...

No, I hear you that it's not likely to have a big impact. But when we've got a new sheriff in town who is also the new kid in town and we're trying to play catchup to the biggest recruiting machines in the country- clowns to the left of us, jokers to the right- any unnecessary issues are amplified a little. Or at least that's where I'm coming from with this. Could be wrong. 

You're right that the landscape will likely be different by Sept 10th. I'd sure like to have made a big deal about nothing and see things trending back towards normal by then. Doesn't feel like that's where we're headed, although I'm starting to hear stories of long lines to get the shot. I hope they're true and true of a lot of places. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I agree with the popular talk that this season's win/loss record will have a major influence on recruiting. It's also likely (not just possible, but likely) that his mess with the Covid will cost us one or more wins.

Losses will have a major impact on recruiting.

On 7/3/2021 at 1:01 PM, gravejd said:

I’m going out on a limb and say Chizik wins this matchup. That initial Chizik staff was awesome. We had ace recruiters all over the place. Too bad it imploded so spectacularly what 4 seasons later?? Great lesson that character of the guys you bring in can be just as important as talent. 

Totally agree. Chiziks staff was full of ace recruiters but I felt their player development was somewhat lacking. That may have been due to the character issues you mentioned, I dunno. If Harsin's staff can just start recruiting around/fringe top 10, but then develop the players and provide sound schemes, we should be more than fine. 

Edited by twilli13
  • Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 1:01 PM, gravejd said:

I’m going out on a limb and say Chizik wins this matchup. That initial Chizik staff was awesome. We had ace recruiters all over the place. Too bad it imploded so spectacularly what 4 seasons later?? Great lesson that character of the guys you bring in can be just as important as talent. 

Which is why this class can easily be much better than that one regardless of where it ends up being ranked.

• 3 months later...
On 7/5/2021 at 12:21 PM, auburnphan said:

5 and 4 star commit date for 2010 class

Dyer committed in November.

Reed committed in November.

Lemonier committed February 2010

Whitaker committed February 2010

owens committed February 2010

Goodwin committed in December

Mack committed February 2010

Kitchens committed April 

Sanders committed end of September

Gayden in December

carter end of July

Holland in April

3 and 2 star commit dates

Richardson in June

Christian in October

White in February 2010

D Mosley in November 

B Mosley in December

Parker February 2010

McNeal in February 2010

Delaine  in February 2010

White in December

Curry in June

Davis in December

Slade in June

Smith in February 2010

Clark in October

Fariyike February 2010

Phillips February 2010

So the Chizik crew had 5 commits by this date in 2009 for the 2010 recruiting class and did all their heavy work when the season started and players saw the product on the field first…………

ACTUAL FACTS

BUMP.  As almost all signs point to us finishing strong. It shows a very similar development like the Chiz's class did.  Building relationships takes time.  Plus now you have to recruit the portal as well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

BUMP.  As almost all signs point to us finishing strong. It shows a very similar development like the Chiz's class did.  Building relationships takes time.  Plus now you have to recruit the portal as well.

Lets hope for the strong finish. So far, we're "pulling hind tit" as an old hog farmer might say of the runt of the litter

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Chizik had 2 very elite recruiters, Trooper and Luper, who would bend a few rules to get the kids they wanted.  Not sure Harsin has folks like that on staff, but maybe he should if we are to compete.,

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tinman said:

Not sure Harsin has folks like that on staff, but maybe he should if we are to compete.,

Big big question looming over his tenure. Will he adjust? Remains to be seen. He seems very confident in his own methods. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

I am enjoying a tub of bourbon and a cuban and calling it a night.  

You have my attention. My personal favorite Habano label is HdM

9 minutes ago, selias said:

You have my attention. My personal favorite Habano label is HdM

enjoying a Monterey Double Corona, been saving it for quite sometime

• Like 1