Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

We are never getting separated from Bama. Whether it be in Pods or Divisions. All of us might as well accept that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I don't see how the Pods would work out without some kind of play in to an SECCG

13 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Man that North division would be a juggernaut wouldn’t it? Haha

Probably the only way UK or Vandy ever wins a Division title though. They'd probably prefer that lineup too lol. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Same here especially texas

With how much Texas owns the big 12 why in the word would they leave it?

On the other end if it's true why would we want either one of them in the SEC they wouldnt do us any good plus it would be even harder for anybody to get in the playoffs because we would all end up with two or more losses every year.🤷 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Figured that was coming 😂

a conference only needs 4 "NO" votes to block invitation so if A&M wants to say "NO we dont want Texas!" they would need three other members to vote on their side kind of like the rumored pact Florida, Georgia, Kentucky and South Carolina have when it comes to blocking their rivals from joining. only question is who would vote with A&M? Mizzou possibly? but who else Arky? LSU?

I say let them in, move us to the east, switch us with Clemson. Let us go to the ACC , add Gus and his UCF team and we can rival with them , and let the SEC destroy each other! 😈😈😈 #easyroute #cowardswayout

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I don't see how the Pods would work out without some kind of play in to an SECCG

im guessing  sort of like the NFL two teams with better record will meet for the SECCG as strange as it sounds it could be  vandy or kentucky with a shot at playing  for the SEC Championship on some years if their pod favors them

How SEC divisions could look with Oklahoma, Texas expansion

• by Brad Crawford

HOOVER, Ala. — College football's era of super-conferences and noteworthy Power 5 expansion could soon be upon us. Texas and Oklahoma have inquired about joining the SEC, according to an exclusive report in the Houston Chronicle on Wednesday that ignited a firestorm at SEC Media Days.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, in speaking with CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd, was not interested in identifying specifics, nor confirming the report had validity.

"No comment on that speculation," Sankey said, adding, "we are only worried about the 2021 season. Somebody dropped a report from unnamed people."

Texas A&M and Mizzou were the last two programs to join the SEC after leaving the Big 12 in 2011.

Brent Zwerneman of The Chroniclereported the news just before Fisher was set to take the podium at SEC Media Days.

"Texas and Oklahoma of the Big 12 have both reached out to the Southeastern Conference about potentially joining the powerful league, a high-ranking college official with knowledge of the situation told the Houston Chronicle on Wednesday," Zwerneman wrote. "An announcement could come within a couple of weeks concerning the potential addition of UT and OU to the league, the person said, which would give the SEC 16 schools and make it the first of a national super-conference."

Should the SEC, reportedly by a league-wide vote, accept two new members, how might the league look?

After taking a geographic glance at the SEC’s footprint in totality and splitting the map down the middle along with grouping nearby programs together, here's how the league could hypothetically look with new East and West divisions if the inclusion of Texas and Oklahoma happens:

Western Division

• Arkansas
  • LSU
  • Mississippi State
  • Mizzou
  • Oklahoma
  • Ole Miss
  • Texas
  • Texas A&M

These would bring back several older rivalries and create a massive brouhaha in recruiting within the state of Texas, essentially five programs from the same division going after the same players. Texas A&M and Texas haven't met since 2011 in College Station while the Aggies and Sooners last played in 2013.

Wednesday's report of Texas and Oklahoma reaching out to the SEC broke moments before Aggies coach Jimbo Fisher stepped to the podium.

"I bet they would," Fisher said Wednesday when asked about the Longhorns' interest in joining the SEC.

Eastern Division

• Alabama
  • Auburn
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Kentucky
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Vanderbilt

In the new SEC East, Alabama and Auburn would jump in the division with Mizzou moving out. South Carolina is the last team from the Eastern Division to beat Alabama, doing so at home during the 2010 season.

10489168.png

Back in June, the staff at 247Sports had a roundtable discussion about potential realignment in college football. 247Sports editor Trey Scott wondered whether the formation of 16-team super-conferences would be best for the sport.

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

"What’s better for college football: The AAC rising to the ranks of the Power 5, or parts of the Big 12 and Pac-12 dissolving to in turn merge and make it four 'Super Conferences?'" Scott asked. "In this instance, are Texas and Oklahoma even in the same conference any more? Does Kansas State become a G5 team? Colorado? Maybe they’d be more competitive in the smaller conferences but I can’t imagine it’s healthier for the sport for that to happen. It’s all so political … there’s also something weird about Texas being at the epicenter of all this, even though it’s true.

"I'm not a huge fan of 16-team conferences in which you might go eight years without playing a cross-divisional opponent."

• Like 1

Sankey saying "no comment" instead of saying there is nothing to it. May not mean anything but then again you'd think he'd just go ahead and deny it if he knew better. 

• Like 1

Drop Mississippi State and Vanderbilt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

im guessing  sort of like the NFL two teams with better record will meet for the SECCG as strange as it sounds it could be  vandy or kentucky with a shot at playing  for the SEC Championship on some years if their pod favors them

I could see many scenarios where the 2/3 team have the same record

@RossDellenger: Texas A&M AD Ross Bjork on news that Texas and OU could be coming to the SEC: “We want to be the only SEC team from the state of Texas.”

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Drop Mississippi State and Vanderbilt.

the bammers have entered the conversation on that one no one drops their two permanent rivals aka automatic wins

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, KnightTiger said:

@RossDellenger: Texas A&M AD Ross Bjork on news that Texas and OU could be coming to the SEC: “We want to be the only SEC team from the state of Texas.”

I agree 100% with this statement 😎

I wouldn't want this. 

What would the SEC gain by adding 2 more major teams? Just beat each other up more than ever every year and IMO tv rights deals can only go so high. 

Would splitting money 2 more ways be majorly offset by new tv deals? 

I don't see how this would be beneficial in the least for Auburn in particular. We're already rich, we already have among the toughest schedule in the nation. no need to add more possible elite teams into our path. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, autiger88 said:

I agree 100% with this statement 😎

again though there has to be 4 "no votes" A&M votes "NO" who else sides with them maybe Missouri but they still need two more "No" votes it has to be like the pact Georgia  Florida, South Carolina and Kentucky have when it comes to blocking their rivals from joining

2 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I wouldn't want this. 

What would the SEC gain by adding 2 more major teams? Just beat each other up more than ever every year and IMO tv rights deals can only go so high. 

Would splitting money 2 more ways be majorly offset by new tv deals? 

I don't see how this would be beneficial in the least for Auburn in particular. We're already rich, we already have among the toughest schedule in the nation. no need to add more possible elite teams into our path. 

We gain another school with wrestling

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see some Oklahoma/Texas fans believe this is posturing to try and get FOX Sports to pay out more to the Big12 for a tv deal. Big12 is the only major college conference that Fox has rights to and wouldn't want to see it break up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KnightTiger said:

again though there has to be 4 "no votes" A&M votes "NO" who else sides with them maybe Missouri but they still need two more "No" votes it has to be like the pact Georgia  Florida, South Carolina and Kentucky have when it comes to blocking their rivals from joining

I mean I think Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Both Mississippi schools say no plus the east schools have a say too and I don't think they would go for it either because they know how much harder it would be to win. It's already hard enough especially with the turds I just don't see them saying yes if this is even true at all who knows🤷 

2 hours ago, autiger88 said:

I mean I think Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Both Mississippi schools say no plus the east schools have a say too and I don't think they would go for it either because they know how much harder it would be to win. It's already hard enough especially with the turds I just don't see them saying yes if this is even true at all who knows🤷 

alabama already has a home and home scheduled with texas i dont see them saying "no" 

Just now, KnightTiger said:

alabama already has a home and home scheduled with texas i dont see them saying "no" 

What does that have to do with them saying no? That's like saying Auburn played Texas in the 80s so they will say yes🤷

I don’t hate this.  You’d lock up our 2 biggest rivals and add old rivalries with Florida and Tennessee.  Away games to Austin would be fun.  I think the bigger issue would be the quality of the Big 12.  You’d almost need to bring Nebraska back into the conference.