Maher: We need one national anthem, maybe a new one.

DKW 86

The more I think about it, the more certain I am.  Arguing that the Star Spangled Banner is racist is simply dumb as dirt.  Is the White House itself racist because people have lived there that thought differently from people in 2021?  Is the White House China to blame is someone ate from it that possessed views in 1890 that aren't acceptable today?  That is how silly this has become.  Things like this do serve one purpose.  They divide and ensure that people like Donald J. Trump get into elected office.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

The more I think about it, the more certain I am.  Arguing that the Star Spangled Banner is racist is simply dumb as dirt.  Is the White House itself racist because people have lived there that thought differently from people in 2021?  Is the White House China to blame is someone ate from it that possessed views in 1890 that aren't acceptable today?  That is how silly this has become.  Things like this do serve one purpose.  They divide and ensure that people like Donald J. Trump get into elected office.

Or Joe Biden.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Dislike 1

Just stop playing anthems at American sporting events period.  As far as I'm aware We're one of the only countries on earth that plays it's anthem before just about every single sporting event in the country. Most other just play it in International matches and the Olympics when the team is actually representing the nation. 

Then nobody has to worry about being offended because they feel the song is racist or becoming offended that someone doesn't stand, or doesnt act "patriotic"  enough. 

• Love 1

5 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Just stop playing anthems at American sporting events period.  As far as I'm aware We're one of the only countries on earth that plays it's anthem before just about every single sporting event in the country. Most other just play it in International matches and the Olympics when the team is actually representing the nation. 

Then nobody has to worry about being offended because they feel the song is racist or becoming offended that someone doesn't stand, or doesnt act "patriotic"  enough. 

I'm ok with that, but we really do have to stop accepting that people can engineer reasons to be offended and that everyone else must then bow to their sensitivities.  I am far from a right wing nut and it is tiring for me.  To people like my parents, it is downright infuriating.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

On 9/26/2021 at 4:06 PM, AU9377 said:

The video mentions MLK Jr., but I'm wondering what you might think of the ideas of Malcom X.

You probably know that he was a separatist who believed that it would be impossible for the races to live together unless and until black Americans separated and had a chance to solve their own problems and find their own self-esteem.

It's hard to look at the statistics in that video about universities segregating students and hear Whoopie Goldberg's comments and not conclude that he might have been right.  It's 2021, when we thought we'd be living like George Jetson looking forward from the 60s, and large segments of the population want to live like it's the 1950s.

We seem literally unable to move past the racial divide.

• Facepalm 1

We need a new anthem, not because the current one is racist, but because it's virtually unsingable* and merely celebrates the outcome of a single battle instead of what the country is about.

* (The tune is from an English drinking song.)

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 9/28/2021 at 7:08 AM, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

The video mentions MLK Jr., but I'm wondering what you might think of the ideas of Malcom X.

You probably know that he was a separatist who believed that it would be impossible for the races to live together unless and until black Americans separated and had a chance to solve their own problems and find their own self-esteem.

It's hard to look at the statistics in that video about universities segregating students and hear Whoopie Goldberg's comments and not conclude that he might have been right.  It's 2021, when we thought we'd be living like George Jetson looking forward from the 60s, and large segments of the population want to live like it's the 1950s.

And we never will without more interracial marriage.

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

Biden got elected for one reason.  He's not Trump.

And Trump was elected in 2016 because he wasn’t HRC or Obama, the great divider.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

That wouldn't move us past a divide between races, it would just (eventually) make one race.

You really think that's the only way to solve the issue?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, homersapien said:

We need a new anthem, not because the current one is racist, but because it's virtually unsingable* and merely celebrates the outcome of a single battle instead of what the country is about.

* (The tune is from an English drinking song.)

I would not trust Congress to actually agree on a rational anthem.  Yes, it is about a battle, but revolution is how this country was established.,

11 hours ago, homersapien said:

People should marry who they want.  I know Jewish mothers that only want their sons to marry a Jewish girl.  Catholic mothers that only want their sons to marry a good Catholic girl, black mothers that only want their sons to marry a black girl.  It only seems to be racist when a white mother wants her son to marry a white girl. That phenomena is uniquely American.

• Facepalm 1

On 9/28/2021 at 7:08 AM, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

I don't think much about the ideas of Malcolm X.  Violence for personal gain is not something I would ever support.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

No, he's no Trump, for sure.  He's made more public racist statements than Trump ever did.

Come on now.... be real..

2 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I don't think much about the ideas of Malcolm X.  Violence for personal gain is not something I would ever support.

When did Malcolm X advocate violence for personal gain?

And that begs another question.  If not for personal gain, what would you advocate violence for?

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

That is real.  Shall I post a list?  You can post a list of Trump's statements.  We'll see who has more.  You in?

Want me to solve this for ya?

Trump = tons of vague statements that can be seen as racist, and subsequently argued by you (or anyone else) as non-racist.

Biden = many completely racist statements that can be brushed off as the faux pas of an elderly (idiot) man.

Basically you will never win that argument because Trump is not a 'Jesus' like figure, and Biden has an actual political history..... and 'whataboutism' stalemates everything.

As for my own opinion, Biden has more historical racist quotes. Since he was in politics much longer than Trump, and Donny would prostrate himself before anyone black or white supremacist if he thought it was the popular choice.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, homersapien said:

Biden got elected for one reason.  He's not Trump.

12 hours ago, PUB78 said:

And Trump was elected in 2016 because he wasn’t HRC or Obama, the great divider.

3 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Trump = tons of vague statements that can be seen as racist, and subsequently argued by you (or anyone else) as non-racist.

Biden = many completely racist statements that can be brushed off as the faux pas of an elderly (idiot) man.

Basically you will never win that argument because Trump is not a 'Jesus' like figure, and Biden has an actual political history..... and 'whataboutism' stalemates everything.

As for my own opinion, Biden has more historical racist quotes. Since he was in politics much longer than Trump, and Donny would prostrate himself before anyone black or white supremacist if he thought it was the popular choice.

The real truth about where we sit in American politics.

We got Obama, because he was the Anti-Bush.
We got trump because he was the Anti-Obama.
We got Biden because he was not trump.

Mostly, all these three men ACTUALLY RULED within 10% of each other on policy. They all became Neolib Elites soon after taking office. 

Biden has now Deported more Immigrants then trump. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/biden-plan-immigration-del-rio-haiti-1231488/

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/biden-administration-title-42-haitian-refugee-expulsions-1229299/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/haitian-texas-migrants-biden-trump-b1923148.html

https://abcnews.go.com/US/title-42-amid-backlash-biden-administration-defends-trump/story?id=80149086

The Biden Admin is using Title 42 to Deport for Medical, COVID Reasons, Immigrant Advocates took the Biden Adm to court and won, stopping the use of T42. The Biden Adm was furious and has filed legal action to reinstate T42.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mims44 said:

I have no interest in arguing that something Trump said wasn't racist if it was.  I will say that I think you have a problem when comparing the two, because if you are fair and apply the same criteria to Biden's statements that you do Trump's as far as what constitutes a racist statement, Biden's list grows even more.  For example, if you're going to say that Trump refusing to denounce white supremacists counts, then you have to count the time that Biden gave the eulogy for Robert Byrd.  And outspoken racist Ernest Hollings.  And endorsed the United Daughters of the Confederacy.  See what I mean?

But I don't think there are nearly as many Trump statements that you can make a case for as you think.  Certainly not "tons."  Fewer than half a dozen, I would say.

I think you're also barking up the wrong tree by arguing that Biden's list is longer because he's been in politics longer.  First of all, most of the stuff he's said has been in the last ten years or so.  Secondly, Trump may not have been a politician, but he has been a public figure interviewed and quoted for decades.  Remember him getting all involved in the Central Park 5 case all the way back in the 80s?  That certainly had racial implications.

Plus, if the argument is that Biden is a professional politician, then why does he say such dumb things so often?  Why is Trump better at being vague, which is what all politicians strive for?

The fact is that Biden has said more public racist stuff than Trump, and it's not really close.  It's just that he's a Democrat, so he gets a pass.  "He just mis-spoke."  "He didn't really mean anything bad about people who own 7-Elevens."

5 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Biden has now Deported more Immigrants then trump. 

Would this have anything to do with the 300% increase in illegal border crossings?

5 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

The Biden Admin is using Title 42 to Deport for Medical, COVID Reasons, Immigrant Advocates took the Biden Adm to court and won, stopping the use of T42. The Biden Adm was furious and has filed legal action to reinstate T42.

So the Biden Admin is furious.  Methinks thou dost protest too much.  I really can’t believe much of what this administration says.  Watch what they do, not what they say.

45 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Would this have anything to do with the 300% increase in illegal border crossings?

But What about the Big Beautiful Trump Wall that Mexico paid for? That was supposed to prevent this from happening. 

45 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

So the Biden Admin is furious.  Methinks thou dost protest too much.  I really can’t believe much of what this administration says.  Watch what they do, not what they say.

Circle back around to Biden has now Deported more Immigrants then trump. 

1 minute ago, CoffeeTiger said:

But What about the Big Beautiful Trump Wall that Mexico paid for? That was supposed to prevent this from happening. 

Circle back around to Biden has now Deported more Immigrants then trump. 

If Biden hadn’t stopped the construction of the wall, that might have helped prevent illegal crossings. 

If you let in 300% more illegals, deporting a fraction of that seems like a large number.  Have you seen any numbers the Biden Administration has put out as to how many illegals have crossed?  How many have been deported?  I doubt they actually know.

• Haha 1