Coaching

tomcat

30 minutes ago, tomcat said:

We are all fans, and some are more easily frustrated than others. The more easily frustrated tend to indulge in the blame game.

I am certainly no more than a fan, and the next game I coach will be my first. However, I’m seeing discernible improvement in this team from week to week. To a degree I cannot recall in many years of Auburn teams. I hope this is sustainable…especially with Bo. I’m also thinking that many of us should sit down, STFU, and enjoy this team improving.

Hell. Yes.

The fact that some people refuse to see this is beyond me.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, tomcat said:

We are all fans, and some are more easily frustrated than others. The more easily frustrated tend to indulge in the blame game.

I am certainly no more than a fan, and the next game I coach will be my first. However, I’m seeing discernible improvement in this team from week to week. To a degree I cannot recall in many years of Auburn teams. I hope this is sustainable…especially with Bo. I’m also thinking that many of us should sit down, STFU, and enjoy this team improving.

I agree. Strongly.

What are you seeing in particular?

For me it's the defensive adjustments as the game goes on. Reminds me of Ted Roof. That guy figured you out in the first half and the second half was shut down ball. Mason and team are doing the same.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You are absolutely correct. There is some serious coaching that's occuring Sunday - Thursday

This is a difference for me. I don't recall an Auburn staff that used Sunday to such an advantage before. Maybe I didn't pay attention or maybe these guys are more vocal about it

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

The difference of looks from the offense week to week always impresses. I actually like coach Bobo. 

Bobo takes longer than I would like to pull the trigger after setting up the big play. But dang it's SO open when he does. Bo threw 2 bad passes all night. But as a whole he was really good. 

• Like 1

All those summer stadium runs is paying off in the fourth quarter.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Guest MustardSeed
58 minutes ago, tomcat said:

I got down on Mason during the game and he still got it done. It wasn’t pretty but a solid showing for a first year staff. I just hope his D isn’t bend don’t break forever. It’s my least favorite philosophy in all of football. But you’re right. I should’ve been better 😌

Guest MustardSeed
20 minutes ago, DAG said:

The difference of looks from the offense week to week always impresses. I actually like coach Bobo. 

Agreed. I hope and pray he develops a better running game soon but he’s working with what he has a heck of a lot better than what we’ve been used to. 

26 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I agree. Strongly.

What are you seeing in particular?

For me it's the defensive adjustments as the game goes on. Reminds me of Ted Roof. That guy figured you out in the first half and the second half was shut down ball. Mason and team are doing the same.

Exactly the vibe I get too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, au302 said:

Kiesau is coach of the week hands down. Just drastic improvement in that group it's hard to fathom.

We need Friend to get the same results out of the Online and the ground game.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Agreed. I hope and pray he develops a better running game soon but he’s working with what he has a heck of a lot better than what we’ve been used to. 

Exactly which is coaching 101. Also, there has been opportunities out there where our RBs can have long breaking runs but an arm here or an hand there trips them up..I don't think Tank is 100 percent TBH because little arm tackles have been tripping him up lately. 

• Like 2

I'm just glad we don't have to argue ad nauseum about who is calling the plays, or who should be calling them.😁 

Seriously, anyone who can't see that this coaching staff is getting about all that could be expected out of this team is just not paying attention.

Edited by Eagle-1
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

We need Friend to get the same results out of the Online and the ground game.

I'm pleased with him too. They've been better than people think imo. Not great, but that was expected. They create pockets for the most part. I think run game will improve if we keep stretching the field like today, but maybe I'm too optimistic

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, au302 said:

I'm pleased with him too. They've been better than people think imo. Not great, but that was expected. They create pockets for the most part. I think run game will improve if we keep stretching the field like today, but maybe I'm too optimistic

Yep, keep moving the ball down the field through the air, and the linebackers will begin to back off.

Edited by Eagle-1

4 hours ago, tomcat said:

It's great to see the improvements, and the issues that had me the most concerned have apparently been addressed. That's really what people wanted.....fix things that need to be fixed before a whole season is lost to them. These coaches seem to be able to recognize the problems and come up with ways to improve the situation or eliminate the mistakes. That really is a good sign. 

• Like 3

The biggest change in what we were doing offensively came in the LSU game.  I thought it was pretty obvious that Harsin or one of his long time assistants was involved in the game plan enough that it impacted the calls that were made in a positive way.  We continued that approach in a positive way thru yesterday.  What Harsin has done offensively in the past is much closer to what the previous staff did than what Bobo has a history doing.  It looks like we have finally meshed the two in a way that we can get production, provided that we avoid big mistakes and too many drops.  Changing what you do to fit the talent on your team isn't always about not having talent on the team, but it's more about knowing and doing what that talent does best. Doing that is a sign of good coaching and I give the offensive staff props for that.

I feel like we are heading in the right direction.  That said, time will tell if the actual results differ from recent seasons.  After winning this game in 2019 at Arkansas (54-11), we were ranked No. 9. We finished the regular season 9-3 with a loss to uga and a win over bama.

5 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

.  It looks like we have finally meshed the two in a way that we can get production

Nice to see.

How many OC's have we seen in the last 6 years and hoped for this outcome, to only run the same O.

Much needed breath of fresh air.

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

You are absolutely correct. There is some serious coaching that's occuring Sunday-Thursday

I bet there will be much more serious coaching going on during this by week than has happened in years

• Love 1

14 hours ago, DAG said:

Exactly which is coaching 101. Also, there has been opportunities out there where our RBs can have long breaking runs but an arm here or an hand there trips them up..I don't think Tank is 100 percent TBH because little arm tackles have been tripping him up lately. 

Agree. He looked stronger this week than the last two.  Maybe two weeks off will be the secret sauce. 

• Like 2