W.Coast recruiting?

AUreo

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Our recruiting budget is tiny compared to our rivals. That probably plays into us reaching out West with expenses related to that

It's time the Auburn Administration & it's supporters decide to step up the game and go toe to toe with our rivals in spending.  

You have to 1st lockdown your high impact local areas which for Auburn is Alabama, Georgia, Florida and sometimes Mississippi with A&M and soon Texas and Oklahoma it helps open up Texas which we have been expanding to.  The one thing Harsin has done since he arrived is put a bigger emphasis on the backend of recruiting a bigger and more knowledgeable staff to analyze more players both locally and remotely and start the initial conversation's. These people can build some of the relationships remotely and find the out of area kids that they think would be worth the effort. Initially this might only be 1 or 2 kids a year. It is not just the West Coast the North East, the Midwest. Once you get a couple of kids from these regions you might be able to get a small pipeline going. The kids from outside your mail recruiting areas might be able to fill out an incomplete class.  An O-linemen from Wisconsin or Western Pennsylvania who would like the climate and a change.  It has to start some where.

33 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

True, but a guy that came from Mississippi and played some NFL ball and has been in the NW learning under a successful college and pro coach only helps recruiting. 

We're talking about the same guy. :thumbsup:

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We're talking about the same guy. :thumbsup:

I believe we are. I think being a younger OC with a decent amount of experience playing and coaching in the NFL won’t hurt us one bit. Plus whatever SEC connections he may have coming from Mississippi. It’s an interesting choice that I have no issue with. I really had no issue with Bobo, but being that I live in GA and most around me are puppy fans, I had heard plenty of their whining from what they thought of him as OC under Richt. He is a decent play caller, but I do think he lacks innovative play calling in certain scenarios. That’s my opinion only. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

That’s my opinion only. 

It's one that a lot of people share, and one with which I don't disagree.

Don't disagree about Davis, either. That NFL pedigree can only help, you're right. My initial post was meant to convey that I think his local connections will be more valuable than any coach's West Coast connections in terms of high school recruiting. I'm of the opinion that we're still recruiting heavy there out of necessity and that we'll focus more locally as we build that network. Hopefully Davis accelerates that process.

National recruiting has to be at least a part of our strategy.   Recruiting is all about relationships!   Building regional bases in various places around the country will help.   We’ve always done well in places like Arkansas (and MS at times), where there is a good bit of talent, but no brand that can compete with AU.  

We need to continue recruiting heavy in AL, GA, and FL, but always have a strong plan B when we’re going head-to-head against bama for a guy they really want.   West coast is another area with a lot of talent.    If we can get some guys, and start building bases of relationships out there, then that’s great!  
Also, it’s a good idea to keep an international eye out.  Everybody knows to go to Pro Kick Australia for your punter, but also Europe, the Pacific Islands, and some regions of Africa and the Caribbean for talent.  For example:  it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to turn a Sumo wrestler into an OL (Man, do we ever need some OL!!!), A good rebounder in BB could be a good slot/TE, teach a world class sprinter how to catch and you’ve got a deep threat WR, etc….

16 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

We’ve always done well in places like Arkansas

Keep in mind, though, that our head coach and/or offensive coordinator for the last 20+ years was from Arkansas. (Sooooo random.) And there's not really much talent there. 

16 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

We need to continue recruiting heavy in AL, GA, and FL, but always have a strong plan B when we’re going head-to-head against bama for a guy they really want.   West coast is another area with a lot of talent.    If we can get some guys, and start building bases of relationships out there, then that’s great!  

It's a little bit the opposite. We already have the relationships out there due to Harsin's time at Boise, plus the other folks he brought with him. It's down here that we need to establish the relationships. Especially since that suffered a bit under the last regime. We're recruiting *more* nationally right now than we will in the future, I imagine. Lots of kids from Texas and further west, as someone posted, on our big board for 2023. I think we'll see that become more regionally proportional as time goes on.