Trovon Reed for wr coach right?

eagle12

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Unless there is some massive consistency needs or Harsin is on a huge hot seat, I'd have to imagine we could attract much better talent

Before being critical of Watts, look at where his Defenses ranked while he was a DC.

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Before being critical of Watts, look at where his Defenses ranked while he was a DC.

And just like Coach Key, who was a good OC at a G5 school and a Position Coach at a P5 school, we have more resources to probably get a better DC.

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

And just like Coach Key, who was a good OC at a G5 school and a Position Coach at a P5 school, we have more resources to probably get a better DC.

I'm not really advocating for him. I just gave an example of how Reed could get onto the field.  That said, he has shown the ability to be a successful DC.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChrisH said:

Nick Saban wasn’t an all American safety but he is regarded as one of the best coaches ever. 

Yep, after decades of putting in work and learning the game, he did 

does not refute what I’m saying about the logical flaws in putting a completely green coach to replace an also very green coach that fans didn’t want anymore because he seemed very green 

• Like 1

And people are now mentioning all time great salesmen, CEO type guys now 

I was approaching the original post I quoted talking about the Xs and Os he doesn’t know yet. Obviously the guy can recruit. All of our WR coaches for the past decade could recruit. This forum seemingly stopped wanting recruiting WR coaches and wanted guys who could teach finer points about the position 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I was approaching the original post I quoted talking about the Xs and Os he doesn’t know yet. Obviously the guy can recruit. All of our WR coaches for the past decade could recruit. This forum seemingly stopped wanting recruiting WR coaches and wanted guys who could teach finer points about the position 

I think you're right and he is in a perfect position to learn and some great minds to learn from. He'll grow exponentially the first couple years breaking down and analyzing film.

My first job as a coach I "volunteered" to breakdown film Friday after the game to have ready for film sessions and practice on Saturday. 

Formations, personnel, strengths, blocking scheme, splits, positions, motions, substitutions, player groupings, tendencies, route combos, defensive calls, we had everything chatted and broken down.  There a lot of learning the first few years that you don't get by playing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

the logical flaws in putting a completely green coach to replace an also very green coach that fans didn’t want anymore because he seemed very green 

Man. Thanks for saving me from getting caught up in the emotion. For real.

That is pretty wild. We literally fired a good recruiter who, for whatever reason, didn't work as a position coach 4 games into the season. Now we're suggesting we replace him with a good recruiter who, for every conceivable reason, might not work as a position coach. Starting with he's never even been one. 

Like I said, I was all for getting caught up in the feel good story and I agree with @bigbird that there's a path that would make sense. Maybe several. But this probably ain't it. I don't see how anyone can still argue for it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I'd also point out that people base the knowing the finer things off of drops from a wr. So no matter what all the wr coaches are going to take blame without cause.

I'd also point out with the last wr coach pretty much a fan base ran with things that weren't even true......And even on this very forum NOBODY wanted to address that and threads were quickly locked. You basically had people saying things like guys were running wrong routes that literally had no way of knowing if that was true or not. At most you'd just have one person entering in the convo saying something like it's true, and they'd disappear without any explanation or validation.

I can't speak for every forum but on this one people ran with untrue claims and any push back would get something to the extent of I know you wanted the coach to stay blah blah blah. There of course had to be some reason that the head coach decided to move on but the reasons stated on here were not true. It's just easy to say a young coach is lacking because another guy dropped the ball......when that's not something that can be taught anyway.

Also people quickly tried to give the new coach credit off of one good game but exaggerated that he was a superior coach and he instilled these new abilities to wr's until the following game when the wr performance was more of the same and we quietly let that disappear as well. 

Fact is as long as there are drops which there will always be people will come to the conclusion well the wr coach doesn't know what he's doing whether he's doing a good job or not.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yep, after decades of putting in work and learning the game, he did 

does not refute what I’m saying about the logical flaws in putting a completely green coach to replace an also very green coach that fans didn’t want anymore because he seemed very green 

Here's the deal. What Trovon did isn't going to go unnoticed. I'd bet a hundred dollars to a donut that he will be on a staff somewhere in the SEC next year. I hope it's with Auburn.

12 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Here's the deal. What Trovon did isn't going to go unnoticed. I'd bet a hundred dollars to a donut that he will be on a staff somewhere in the SEC next year. I hope it's with Auburn.

They'll make it work. But DTR is right that WR coach probably isn't the first rung on the on-field ladder for (C)TR.

• Like 3

On 12/16/2021 at 9:50 PM, Hank2020 said:

Obviously it doesn’t take being a great player to make a great coach. Many were never players.

Yeah, really. Anyone making the correlation to great player - great coach is missing it. More times than not, it means nothing. I would argue that most great players make awful coaches.