Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

2 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Long memory, very thin skin Cole.   Come on.   Do you agree that finishing 4th in the SEC in total defense behind only UGA, Bama, and AtM on a pass happy oriented offensive team is a "bad defense."   

The scoreboard is all that has, all that does, and all that ever will matter. Scoring defense is the only stat worth discussing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, woodford said:

Standings as in wins and losses. MSU was a big fat L.

I see what you're saying now. Don't agree with your premise, but I get it. 

so if it is true about mason then it would appear the only way he might stay is if he finds no place to land or he and harsin have a come to jesus meeting if they in fact have problems who takes over?Schmedding? and how does it effect the kids deciding to stay and recruits coming in? a little? a lot? none?

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Look , I didn't say he gave up coaching.. I have no idea if he did or not. Maybe a coincidence. Maybe he was told to take more input from Asst coaches or maybe he devised the plan all by himself. I have no idea which was the case and u don't either. But u can't be serious comparing Miss St Offense to Bama. Miss st runs no more hurry up than Bama... All they do is pass nearly every play.

You can't be serious if you think anybody out paces Leach offense. And no neither one of us knows but to suggest a coach just didn't coach anymore and it never came out is more unbelievable

So half the fanbase could not care and thinks Mason  was terrible. The other thinks the sky is falling. Kind of crazy

Edited by Randman5000
  • Haha 1

None of these arguments make him leave or make him stay. I hope he stays but if he goes we just have to find another one. No other options that I see. Keep swimming especially against the current.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

You can't be serious if you think anybody out paces Leach offense. And no neither one of us knows but to suggest a coach just didn't coach anymore and it never came out is more unbelievable

Never said he didn't coach. That's the 3rd time I've said that. Maybe he was told put more of Schmedings ideas into the game plan. Some coaches have fickle egos.. Or like I said maybe Mason devised it all himself. But something new was put in for Bama . That isn't debatable

14 hours ago, gman87 said:

He's got a ways to improve before I would be nervous.

Regardless of how you feel about his coaching, there was already attrition with losing one of our defensive coaches and the vast majority of the impressive recruiting gets was on his side of the ball. This is a team that’s pretty much relegated to playing lockdown defense and average offense going into next year. In the absence of a jaw dropping replacement, Mason is pretty much the most important coach on the staff for 2022

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 4

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

Never said he didn't coach. That's the 3rd time I've said that. Maybe he was told put more of Schmedings ideas into the game plan. Some coaches have fickle egos.. Or like I said maybe Mason devised it all himself. But something new was put in for Bama . That isn't debatable

What new was put in? What did you see that you NEVER saw us do before?

At the end of the day, when it is rumored a coach is unhappy, why do we immediately believe (1) Harsin is the cause for the unhappiness and (2) what ever Harsin did to cause it was unjustified.     It is concerning that some have such quick triggers and so little faith and confidence in the person leading our program. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Regardless of how you feel about his coaching, there was already attrition with losing one of our defensive coaches and the vast majority of the impressive recruiting gets was on his side of the ball. This is a team that’s pretty much relegated to playing lockdown defense and average offense going into next year. In the absence of a jaw dropping replacement, Mason is pretty much the most important coach on the staff for 2022

That's what they don't understand when they say stuff like that. Oh big deal. This next season it's why is it we don't have players here or there. Or why can't we get that type of talent? The EXACT same people

• Like 1

Just now, cole256 said:

That's what they don't understand when they say stuff like that. Oh big deal. This next season it's why is it we don't have players here or there. Or why can't we get that type of talent? The EXACT same people

Not to mention if 2022 is a flop, it’s pretty likely that we’ll be looking at an entirely new staff after 2023

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And Cole this is the reason why I say State's defense wasn't "bad" at all.  We all remember how tough it was on our defense when Gus 1.0 kept his foot on the gas. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Listen this is a very bad take. If CDM leaves for a less than lateral job after 1 year we are at Defcon 1.

CDM is the most prestigious assistant on the staff. Almost all our recruiting success has been on the defensive side. And we're coming off the best defensive IB performance in history.

You can shrug it off if you want to. But that's willful ignorance. If our best assistant leaves after a year with our new HC for a worse job, it will scream that something is very, very wrong at Auburn.

This is just my opinion and mine only. I do not believe Harsin truly wanted to hire Bobo, Williams or Mason. Maybe it was highly suggested for connects to the area since he is from Boise. What may be wrong at Auburn is what   has always been wrong with Auburn since Dye left.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Not to mention if 2022 is a flop, it’s pretty likely that we’ll be looking at an entirely new staff after 2023

I think if Mason leaves it will be a wrap for Harsin because next year has to have some type of success, and that means the defense will have to be good. If they have to start over and learn a new defense.....bye bye

• Like 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm telling you if Mason leaves we'll get what we deserve. The defensive guys came for him. It also means something is going on with the coaches and you'll see a bunch more transfers

I’d be interested to see the “they don’t fit the culture” types comment on lateral coach attrition and masses of players leaving in consecutive offseasons. I’m not saying there’s a complete conclusion that can be had, one way or the other, but it’s looking sketchy 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, cbo said:

Why did you go with yards instead of points allowed?

Now how would he push his argument if he didn't use one stat to reinforce it? THAT IS NOT HOW THIS WORKS.

Edited by DAG
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

At the end of the day, when it is rumored a coach is unhappy, why do we immediately believe (1) Harsin is the cause for the unhappiness and (2) what ever Harsin did to cause it was unjustified.     It is concerning that some have such quick triggers and so little faith and confidence in the person leading our program. 

Fair questions. For me, it would be the culmination of several concerning signs, with Mason's exit being the most concerning by far. Both on the field and in recruiting, Mason's defense is the best thing AU has going right now. I don't think anyone could argue that. Harsin has a huge job right now and this would be a serious blow. 

Of course, this could all be worry and discussion over nothing. But I guess that's what we do here. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

So half the fanbase could not care and thinks Mason  was terrible. The other thinks the sky is falling. Kind of crazy

I'd love for the former half to explain how our recruiting prowess has been entirely on the defensive side, despite having an offensive HC.

• Like 1

We were all running around with our heads cut off when we were 40th or whatever in recruiting.   That worked out much better than any of us suspected.   I think most of us were pretty happy with Austin Davis coming in as a former NFL quarterback coach.   Maybe Harsin has id'd an NFL dline coach that he wants to coordinate the entire defense and has asked Mason to look elsewhere.   The fact is that none of us know.   But whoever our coaches are next fall, we all need to be there pulling for our Tigers.   And, we all need to support Auburn NIL sooner than later.    

4 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

ut whoever our coaches are next fall, we all need to be there pulling for our Tigers.   And, we all need to support Auburn NIL sooner than later.    

We all will do that and have always done that with the exception of a minor few. No reason why we can't discuss this topic and it's potential consequences or lack thereof.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Mason wants out, it doesn’t make sense to say it’s because of his working relationship with Harsin or he would have left sooner.

If Mason wants out, my guess is that it’s connected to the DL coaching search. 

3 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

If Mason wants out, it doesn’t make sense to say it’s because of his working relationship with Harsin or he would have left sooner.

If Mason wants out, my guess is that it’s connected to the DL coaching search. 

That’s logical, not sure if it’s correct but definitely logical.

• Like 2