Auburn #1 :First Time Ever

toddc

48 minutes ago, Viper said:

Even after the missed double dribble, I wish Brown would have let their guard shoot the 3 instead of fouling him. We get the rebound and it’s over. 

That was Samir but point is valid. 

34 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

That was Samir but point is valid. 

No, the play prior to that. Brown purposely fouled their guard prior to shooting a 3 at the top of the key that bounced off the upper part of the backboard. We rebound it and it’s ballgame.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

No, the play prior to that. Brown purposely fouled their guard prior to shooting a 3 at the top of the key that bounced off the upper part of the backboard. We rebound it and it’s ballgame.

Oh yes! Thanks.

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/auburn-celebrates-no-1-ranking-with-a-nod-to-the-past/article_8b5c9ea6-7e2a-11ec-b9d2-dfe79c97ac0d.amp.html

Just in case someone else goes on a quest to find the Sports Illustrated like I did.

image.gif.dac8fef8d72ca26e99b2e04f40492e8e.gif

Edited by WVR

On 1/24/2022 at 7:09 PM, toddc said:

AUBURN, Alabama–After close but no cigar pushes toward the No. 1 ranking in college and basketball in three other seasons, the 2021-22 Tigers made Auburn hoops history on Monday by moving to the top of Associated Press Top 25 poll. Auburn moved up one spot to replace last week’s No. 1 team, Gonzaga.

The 18-1 Tigers received 45 first place votes essay writing Edu birdie and 1,504 poll points. Gonzaga, which is 15-2, received 15 first place votes and 1,475 poll points. Arizona, which is ranked third with a 16-1 record, received one first place vote and 1,381 poll points. Baylor, the defending national champion, is fourth with 1,335 points. The Bears are 17-2.

A pair of homecourt victories since the last poll vs. the Georgia Bulldogs and Kentucky Wildcats extended Auburn’s winning streak to 15 consecutive games. The Tigers are 18-1 overall and lead the Southeastern Conference with a 7-0 league mark.

It's fascinating, surprising, and insanely interesting. I can't wait to see what happens next, but I can't wait. Totally agree with Bruce Pearl, I think the Tigers deserve more recognition.

• Like 1

It is so much fun just watching all the excitement that is associated with this program right now.  Wish Pearl could give some lessons to the football side of our program.

In today’s (Jan 31) AP poll release, our friend Mr. Jesse Newell has once again dropped AU again to number 7. Behind Kentucky, Baylor, Gonzaga, amongst others. 

Maybe he is just drawing team names out of a hat?

Auburn and Gonzaga are now tied at number 1 in the coaches poll!! Each received 784 pts. 

We made it through our first week of being ranked #1 without losing and that is a pretty special accomplishment. Now get pass the bama game on Tuesday and i'll be able to relax about keeping the winning streak going. 😅

2 hours ago, dmbseeker00 said:

In today’s (Jan 31) AP poll release, our friend Mr. Jesse Newell has once again dropped AU again to number 7. Behind Kentucky, Baylor, Gonzaga, amongst others. 

Auburn and Gonzaga are now tied at number 1 in the coaches poll!! Each received 784 pts. 

Jesse continues to have strange rankings, he is the ONLY one to rank Iowa, then there is UT, Texas, Wisconsin and Auburn.  He is giving his employer lots of reasons to can him.

Anyways, we did make history on the coaches poll side; lets cement that with a win tomorrow night over UA.

Since their weakness in the interior, I hope our twin towers have a big night.

5 minutes ago, 81spacetiger said:

And that the officials don't decide to prove they can foul out the team playing at home also.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 81spacetiger said:

Jesse continues to have strange rankings, he is the ONLY one to rank Iowa, then there is UT, Texas, Wisconsin and Auburn.  He is giving his employer lots of reasons to can him.

Anyways, we did make history on the coaches poll side; lets cement that with a win tomorrow night over UA.

Lol the guy doesn't know basketball. He just goes off of Kenpom and computer rankings. 

He ranks us below UK who we beat. He ranks us below Baylor who has 3 losses and just lost to a team we beat on the road. He continue to rank Gonzaga ahead of us, which is a team that has two losses and lost to a team we beat at their house. He just doesn't make sense.

If he is going to use computer rankings that his deal, but not all schedules are created equally and every game is different. Just because Gonzaga scores a lot of points against their trash schedule, doesn't mean they would do that against other teams who are better defensively. Some teams just win. That's what we have done. It hasn't always been pretty and we haven't always blown out opponents but we win. 

People like him, who don't have opinions of their own are the worst. He let's the computers do his job for him. He more than likely doesn't watch the games. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmbseeker00 said:

I think he feels he has to justify his earlier voting by continuing down the road to jack assery. He is one of those Midwestern homers who will stick to his stubborn guns.

https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/jesse-newell/2021/week-13

Extreme pick = pollster is 5+ off from what the team ended up out of all 61 pollsters rankings.  Newell is out front.  As time goes on, is clearly getting worse.

Newell's # of Extreme Picks
Preseason 5 20 %
Week 2 9 36 %
week 3 10 40 %
Week 4 7 28 %
Week 5 9 36 %
Week 6 10 40 %
Week 7 13 52 %
Week 8 12 48 %
Week 9 16 64 %
Week 10 16 64 %
Week 11 15 60 %
Week 12 13 52 %
Week 13 13 52 %

1 hour ago, JTFazz said:

I think he feels he has to justify his earlier voting by continuing down the road to jack assery. He is one of those Midwestern homers who will stick to his stubborn guns.

He's also butthurt that his Jayhawks got run by UK.

3 hours ago, 81spacetiger said:

https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/jesse-newell/2021/week-13

Extreme pick = pollster is 5+ off from what the team ended up out of all 61 pollsters rankings.  Newell is out front.  As time goes on, is clearly getting worse.

Newell's # of Extreme Picks
Preseason 5 20 %
Week 2 9 36 %
week 3 10 40 %
Week 4 7 28 %
Week 5 9 36 %
Week 6 10 40 %
Week 7 13 52 %
Week 8 12 48 %
Week 9 16 64 %
Week 10 16 64 %
Week 11 15 60 %
Week 12 13 52 %
Week 13 13 52 %

I dont know how it works, but it seems this guy will not have a ballot after this season. To let him have one is detrimental to the process. 🤡

10 hours ago, dmbseeker00 said:

We’re 6th in KenPom and 9th in BPI, 2 of the handful of computer metrics he compiles 

The AP poll came out today and we stayed at #1 and received 49 of the 61 first place votes. Gonzaga received the remaining 12 first place votes. Kentucky jumped from #12 to #5 by smoking Kansas at Kansas. The SEC got 4 teams into the top 25. Auburn at #1, Kentucky #5, Tennessee #22 and LSU #25. I believe this week is the least amount of teams the SEC has had in the top 25 all year. The most we've had this year was 7 I think. We are the only team in the top 25 to have 20 wins for the season. Closest to us is several teams with 18 wins. I read alot of comments on sports sites, opposing teams message boards, etc. and 99% of the comments about Auburn are very positive. Most everybody across the country that follows NCAA Basketball and comments about our basketball team have said we are legit and we will be very tough to beat in March Madness because we play great defense, we have size and we're very deep. I will add to that by saying we are very well coached too. WDE

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

...we will be very tough to beat in March Madness because we play great defense, we have size and we're very deep. I will add to that by saying we are very well coached too...

I think the only thing missing is a consistent dominating offense that can put up points several different ways.  We have seen glimpses of this in some games but not for a complete game or in multiple games.  If we can find this chemistry by SEC tournament we will become the nightmare team to play.  

On 1/24/2022 at 11:12 AM, yngwie1995 said:

No words for this idiot...Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 12.11.41 PM.png

Newell had Gonzaga number one since the first preseason poll. Not sure which poll site you used for this, but wanted to provide this link to Poll Tracker for others. It is a handy tool and there is also a football version. https://collegepolltracker.com/

Edited by JTFazz

Not really sure why all of you are still complaining about Newell. This is what he does, he's done it since he started doing polls, and he isn't gonna change what he's doing. One voter hasn't mattered in the last 2 weeks and won't matter if we keep winning. At least he's consistent with his votes and has some form of methodology to it. I might not agree with his poll and I do believe his vote should be taken away since he's just copying and pasting someone else's formula but I'm not gonna let it eat away at me EVERY week.