What do all the transfers really mean

LPTiger

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

How many times over the years have you mentioned players that transfer from Auburn not being able to cut it and never perform after their transfer. Why so adamant that all of these transfers are now irreplaceable and so deeply concerning? Just trying to figure out what makes these players better than the others that have left previously that you routinely dismissed as not needed or won't be missed

Because they are better. This current situation is very different and you know it. Never before have 20+ bailed out on AU in one cycle. Including a 3 year starting QB, a starting O-lineman, eight D-line players, a few from an already thin WR group, team leaders and former captains such as Worm Shivers.

This is not an isolated case of a disgruntled player and his silly parents who won't accept that hard work is required.This is a massive rejection of whatever is currently going on inside the football program. 

We've lost 20 to the portal and and brought in five, so apparently the players who have left aren't replaceable. At least this staff isn't capable of replacing them. Epic fail.

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

How many did we lose to graaduation?  I believe the net of all of this is we are now down an entire recruiting class.

Checking the 247 roster tracker, it shows 9 exhausted their eligibility and 3 more declared for the draft, so 12. We have 76 current scholarship players for '22.

Edited by IronMan70
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Because they are better. This current situation is very different and you know it. Never before have 20+ bailed out on AU in one cycle. Including a 3 year starting QB, a starting O-lineman, eight D-line players, a few from an already thin WR group, team leaders and former captains such as Worm Shivers.

This is not an isolated case of a disgruntled player and his silly parents who won't accept that hard work is required.This is a massive rejection of whatever is currently going on inside the football program. 

We've lost 20 to the portal and and brought in five, so apparently the players who have left aren't replaceable. At least this staff isn't capable of replacing them. Epic fail.

So then, explain all the starters, captains, and NFL eligible players that chose to return. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So then, explain all the starters, captains, and NFL eligible players that chose to return. 

Other than Tank and Pappoe, who were bought with NIL money, exactly what future NFL players chose to return? Playing college football an extra year may look pretty good compared to starting a day job.

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

giphy.gif

I hope you are laughing at the idea that we have a bunch of future NFL players who, instead of going pro and collecting millions, chose to return to AU for another year. If so, I agree that it's a silly statement.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Other than Tank and Pappoe, who were bought with NIL money, exactly what future NFL players chose to return? Playing college football an extra year may look pretty good compared to starting a day job.

Shenker 

Wooden 

Hall 

Pritchett 

The offensive line (doubtful on NFL, but all starters that chose to return)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Shenker 

Wooden 

Hall 

Pritchett 

The offensive line (doubtful on NFL, but all starters that chose to return)

As low round draft choices or undrafted invitees? Slipping the above $500 a month in NIL money surpasses any amount they'd have been assured of from pro football.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I hope you are laughing at the idea that we have a bunch of future NFL players who, instead of going pro and collecting millions, chose to return to AU for another year. If so, I agree that it's a silly statement.

You are telling me that we have No NFL caliber players on roster. ? Colby Wooden. Derick Hall. That is two right there who would definitely have been drafted. There were some mocks that had D. Hall going as high as 3rd round. Most were later rounds, but still. They very easily could have entered the draft. We have had worse players leave early. 

Also the point isn't whether they are 1st rounders or day 1 guys, but that players eligible to make that choice and they chose to come back.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

As low round draft choices or undrafted invitees? Slipping the above $500 a month in NIL money surpasses any amount they'd have been assured of from pro football.

$500 a month? Lol are they going to be mowing people’s lawns??

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

How can you agree with height but not pegues and Johnson?

Pegues is probably the one I hated to see go the most.   He’s a freakish athlete at 300lb+   Gus never knew what to do with him.  I think Harsin had him in the right place and he was showing signs of becoming that dude on the DL.   Although he may be a better fit as a 4-3 DT than a 3-4 NT or DL.   I honestly think he has the size and athleticism to make it work at either of those spots.   But, he’s from Oxford and he’ll probably be their stud on the DL.   Good for him.  Stinks for us.  
Does OM run a base 4-3?   I can’t remember and too lazy to look it up.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, woodford said:

$500 a month? Lol are they going to be mowing people’s lawns??

$500 a month NIL money on top of their scholarship and stipend adds up to a pretty nice income.

8 hours ago, AUlurker said:

I think the point was that these players that returned were eligible for the NFL not that they would be drafted.

They were eligible, but more than likely would have had to look for day jobs outside of football. There was zero incentive for them to leave college ball.

8 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Also the point isn't whether they are 1st rounders or day 1 guys, but that players eligible to make that choice and they chose to come back.

Again, there was little incentive for them to leave. Undrafted free agents do not often find a career in pro football. A little NIL money on top of their regular scholarship benefits beats starting at the bottom of the insurance salesman ladder.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

We have 76 current scholarship players for '22. 

Offense (37) QB-5, RB-4, WR-8, TE-6, OL-14

Defense (36) DL-9, Edge-3, LB-9, CB-9, S-6

Spec Tm (3) Punt-1, Kick-2

Tracking Auburns roster movement for 2022 season (Feb. 2) (247sports.com)

That list of 76 includes the signees from the '22 class. While those who weren't early enrollees are expected to enroll, they don't officially count as being on scholarship until they show up on campus and start classes.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask, but has anyone heard that Brandon Frazier is moving to OT? 

Go Brandon🙂

• Haha 1

Has anyone seen this from Lee Hunter? If it is not allowed on here...my apologies but there seems to be additional rumors about treatment of players as well.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Mikey said:

$500 a month NIL money on top of their scholarship and stipend adds up to a pretty nice income.

They were eligible, but more than likely would have had to look for day jobs outside of football. There was zero incentive for them to leave college ball.

Again, there was little incentive for them to leave. Undrafted free agents do not often find a career in pro football. A little NIL money on top of their regular scholarship benefits beats starting at the bottom of the insurance salesman ladder.

Not all of them would have been UDFAs so that's a bit disingenuous. Either way, Do you know what a player can earn in just a couple years as an UDFA? It's a LOT better than 500 a month NIL dollhairs

52 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Not all of them would have been UDFAs so that's a bit disingenuous. Either way, Do you know what a player can earn in just a couple years as an UDFA? It's a LOT better than 500 a month NIL dollhairs

What can he earn as a used car salesman when no team picks him up?

Add $500 a month to the other benefits and stipends that scholarship players get and it's a pretty good living. Not at all worth leaving and taking a chance on having to do work outside of football.

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Has anyone seen this from Lee Hunter? If it is not allowed on here...my apologies but there seems to be additional rumors about treatment of players as well.

I can't see any of the images you posted so maybe this is what you are referring to.

Former Auburn defensive lineman claims players treated ‘like dogs’ under Bryan Harsin - al.com

This sure as heck don't help recruiting or anything for that matter. Harsin, Greene or somebody needs to address our overall FB situation IMHO.

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I can't see any of the images you posted so maybe this is what you are referring to.

Former Auburn defensive lineman claims players treated ‘like dogs’ under Bryan Harsin - al.com

This sure as heck don't help recruiting or anything for that matter. Harsin, Greene or somebody needs to address our overall FB situation IMHO.

Yes. That's the statement it's referring to. I just saw a statement that Harsin put out last night with ESPN Chris Low. He address the first rumor. This just happened today so who knows if he'll respond again. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Here is the ESPN article. He does address the Lee Hunter quote: 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33216111/auburn-tigers-football-coach-bryan-harsin-not-planning-going-anywhere-amid-program-volatility

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

So he's on vacation while the house is on fire?

5 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

"The same guys who didn't want to hire [Harsin] now want to fire him," a source told ESPN.

• Like 1