What do all the transfers really mean

LPTiger

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

In actuality, Pegues is the only one that I felt was going to be a net loss. Maybe Height.

So this is my reasoning. 3-4 you prefer to have to rushing ends or outside guys and your middle you want more traditional lotta range guys thumpers. I feel like Steiner and Im hoping Brooks are going to fill the rush roles. Willis would fill the other inside with our guy that's coming back that was hurt. He was also a good fit because the other guy next to the hurt guy returning is sort of small. Willis was going to be vital unless we're changing defenses. And if we are changing defenses I think that's going to somewhat screw Brooks.

But in a 3-4 Hunter Brooks and a decent nose tackle with Brooks as one of the rush ends was going to be scary good under Mason

7 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Bye.

Smh.....I don't understand the sensitivity level on here sometimes. If you don't want to explain your ideas why post on a forum? 

I miss being able to talk football and disagreeing and learning.....

But ok. ✌🏿

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

So this is my reasoning. 3-4 you prefer to have to rushing ends or outside guys and your middle you want more traditional lotta range guys thumpers. I feel like Steiner and Im hoping Brooks are going to fill the rush roles. Willis would fill the other inside with our guy that's coming back that was hurt. He was also a good fit because the other guy next to the hurt guy returning is sort of small. Willis was going to be vital unless we're changing defenses. And if we are changing defenses I think that's going to somewhat screw Brooks.

But in a 3-4 Hunter Brooks and a decent nose tackle with Brooks as one of the rush ends was going to be scary good under Mason

From what I was told, Hunter wasn't living up to his billing. Sometimes it's just the coach. Hope he pulls a cowart.

• Like 2

Just now, bigbird said:

From what I was told, Hunter wasn't living up to his billing. Sometimes it's just the coach. Hope he pulls a cowart.

I heard that too but he was used to being a 4-3 d tackle. He was having to learn being a 3-4 end. And that's a big change. The first year of this defense was going to be our worse year and it wasn't that bad. It wasn't perfect but you could see it getting better and better. 

I don't care who say it's losing Mason was absolutely awful. We needed this next season with him. 

Eason said when the light comes on for Hunter he's going to be a problem

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, bigbird said:

In actuality, Pegues is the only one that I felt was going to be a net loss. Maybe Height.

I have to disagree here. I think JJP is a loss for sure, as well as J.Johnson and Height. If I had to put a weight on each one, I wouldn't be able to.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, you need to clear this up.

?

There were some rumors running around other AU sites that Kobe was in a gang or some shiz. I dismissed it, and never offered it here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree about Pegeus I thought he would be better this year as for Height he needed to add weight and couldn't do it. I believe Dylan will be an upgrade after redshirting and I am interested in seeing where Okoli is because physically he has all the tools but lacked experience. With Jones, Wright and Mba we are probably better at NT then this year. Hall,  Leota, Harris, Butler, and Brooks. Plus we have Sledge coming in.  We have a lot of talent in our D-Line.  LB is a legit concern we lost two starters we picked up Asante, and Woodyard and hopefully Pappoe is healthy, then we need Steiner and Riley to step up. We lost a lot of talent at DB especially McCreary as he was our best CB by far but we have picked up some really good players. I still think we have a good Defense this year.

Offense is the real question mark. Bo did some really good things and some things not as good. Last year he was better than previous 2 years his legs were a blessing his long ball left something to be desired. Can one of our new QB's step up and match or surpass BO. WR we took some hits Kobe and  Johnson we have some young men coming in but at this point unless I see one of the young guys step up we are not as good as last year. TE is a strength and King may help us as a WR. O-line decent pass blockers last year weak run blockers some key pieces returning. Zierer who was better in each game he played, Jones our best O-Linemen, Council who 2 years ago was pretty good but was not same after injury if he returns to form we have two good guards if not which of our young guys are ready.  Troxell, Smith or Coffee at OT. Plus Brahms at Center or Irving. We could be a little worse  O-Line this year about same or better if 1 or 2 of the young guys is ready.  I am especially interested in how Smith has developed. what we won't have is a lot of depth.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I have to disagree here. I think JJP is a loss for sure, as well as J.Johnson and Height. If I had to put a weight on each one, I wouldn't be able to.

Maybe on JJP, but he was a tight end under the prior staff and perhaps a tackle under this staff.   Some guys are tweeters that never actually fit.   Wish him the best.  JJ currently weighs 159 pounds after 2 years of the best nutritional and weigh lifting program you can have.  At the end of the day, size generally matters.   Same for Height.   After 2 years he still doesn't weigh 220.   At 6'0 220, I can't for the life of me understand how someone at 6'4" can't get to 240. 

All I know is losing 20 folks impacts depth.  Anyone that was getting on the field (like Pegues and others) is a loss we didn't need.  Especially given the low recruiting numbers.  Do we think the guys we pick up from the portal are going to be better than Pegues and come in and get more playing time?  I don't think CBH or the staff are doing this kind of calculus right now.  Unless you have clear line of site to a replacement of better quality; I don't get the amount of pruning that has been going on for the "hope cast" of a miracle portal replacement.  

As I said in another more detailed post; my confidence in CBH has been declining steadily.  We've now lost and entire coaching staff at the most critical time.  I was giving him the benefit of the doubt on recruiting...but it looks like we didn't close.   We needed some OL and WR additions that didn't happen. 

Even Barfield could recruit talent at a time when Alabama would just give people schollies to keep them from going to Auburn....he just couldn't coach it up and develop discipline.  And the communications on what the hell is going on continues to be non-existent.  I don't really see how this is going to work.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, japantiger said:

All I know is losing 20 folks impacts depth.  Anyone that was getting on the field (like Pegues and others) is a loss we didn't need.  Especially given the low recruiting numbers.  Do we think the guys we pick up from the portal are going to be better than Pegues and come in and get more playing time?  I don't think CBH or the staff are doing this kind of calculus right now.  Unless you have clear line of site to a replacement of better quality; I don't get the amount of pruning that has been going on for the "hope cast" of a miracle portal replacement.  

As I said in another more detailed post; my confidence in CBH has been declining steadily.  We've now lost and entire coaching staff at the most critical time.  I was giving him the benefit of the doubt on recruiting...but it looks like we didn't close.   We needed some OL and WR additions that didn't happen. 

Even Barfield could recruit talent at a time when Alabama would just give people schollies to keep them from going to Auburn....he just couldn't coach it up and develop discipline.  And the communications on what the hell is going on continues to be non-existent.  I don't really see how this is going to work.  

Getting people to understand the importance of depth has been surprisingly difficult. I find that a little weird because many times the same people that don't get it will usually bring up the Mississippi State game as the example of the defense not being good and that game highlights the importance of it. 

I feel we've even lost a national championship because of it, we've had some great teams because of our running back depth and unfortunately some great teams were held back because of the lack of running back depth. It just seem like if anybody should understand the importance of it, it would be an Auburn football fan.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Transfers or not, I'm hearing Hars may be at the end of his rope.   Not sure if he tied a knot or not.   

At least we wont lose any recruiting momentum with a coaching change.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

The whole black athlete thug stuff is so played out. If he pistol whipped somebody or robbed a store ok you got it but.....I wish the board would just pretend he was Bo and somebody said he's not good.....that sure triggered everybody to remind he's somebody's son with a mother and father.....stuff is wild

I also just think there's better ways to describe someone. We (not the insiders but just fans) called Bo a poor teammate at times, a hot head, some even said too competitive. I don't know what this guy coulda did that was that bad, but isn't publicly known about. Actual criminal acts in Auburn, AL spread pretty quickly! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Look at who made the few deep catches we had?  The prettiest sister at DG is still not beautiful.

4.5 high school hand timed is more like 4.8 electronic.  When did you see someone take an awful angle on JJ?

Kess has an incredible coach.   For sure.   He should be a first rounder.  

Again, Peques may be a key contributor for Ole Miss in 2022, but he simply wasn't for AU in 2021.

Ugh. Just stop. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

He was a FRESHMAN. A lot of guys don't live up to their billings in the first few months(for a million different reasons).

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Maybe on JJP, but he was a tight end under the prior staff and perhaps a tackle under this staff.   Some guys are tweeters that never actually fit.   Wish him the best.  JJ currently weighs 159 pounds after 2 years of the best nutritional and weigh lifting program you can have.  At the end of the day, size generally matters.   Same for Height.   After 2 years he still doesn't weigh 220.   At 6'0 220, I can't for the life of me understand how someone at 6'4" can't get to 240. 

Size definitely helps, but I have 2 counter points to make here. 

As far as JJ is concerned...He is roughly about the same size as Devonte Smith and he won the Heisman Trophy. They had DS listed at 6'1 175 lbs but everyone I know says he weighed a buck 60 max. If a WR has skill and speed size will not hold them back mich. Ryan Davis was another small guy who did big things. 

As for HEight....Yes he was still underweight, but he was able to have an impact when he got reps even at that size. What does that say about how good he could be when he does get up to a good weight?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mb711 said:

He was a FRESHMAN. A lot of guys don't live up to their billings in the first few months(for a million different reasons).

thumbs-up-okay.gif

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Getting people to understand the importance of depth has been surprisingly difficult. 

I see you've browsed my post history

• Haha 1

Back to the OP question on what all the transfers really mean. If we start with the 40,000 ft. view, it means...........  

* we lost 20 former players,  7 of those were HS 4*

* we gained 23 new players (18+5), 13 of those were HS 4* (10+3)

* we gained 2 monster 6'6" DLs, both were HS 4 *

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Getting people to understand the importance of depth has been surprisingly difficult. I find that a little weird because many times the same people that don't get it will usually bring up the Mississippi State game as the example of the defense not being good and that game highlights the importance of it. 

I feel we've even lost a national championship because of it, we've had some great teams because of our running back depth and unfortunately some great teams were held back because of the lack of running back depth. It just seem like if anybody should understand the importance of it, it would be an Auburn football fan.

The Culture Harsin is building  is more important than depth. All we gotta do is sign more walk ons who are Auburn men /s

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Back to the OP question on what all the transfers really mean. If we start with the 40,000 ft. view, it means...........  

* we lost 20 former players,  7 of those were HS 4*

* we gained 23 new players (18+5), 13 of those were HS 4* (10+3)

* we gained 2 monster 6'6" DLs, both were HS 4 *

How many did we lose to graaduation?  I believe the net of all of this is we are now down an entire recruiting class.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I heard that too but he was used to being a 4-3 d tackle. He was having to learn being a 3-4 end. And that's a big change. The first year of this defense was going to be our worse year and it wasn't that bad. It wasn't perfect but you could see it getting better and better. 

I don't care who say it's losing Mason was absolutely awful. We needed this next season with him. 

Eason said when the light comes on for Hunter he's going to be a problem

Losing Mason is my number one red flag with Harsin. Well, tied with recruiting. 

Mason was in position to have an elite D. The kind that could get us 8 or 9 wins, even if the O sucked (which I currently expect it to). 

All the people saying Mason wasn't that great will be the same one's next season complaining about the D. It's exactly like the people who loudly state they don't care that so and so player left, then they bitch about the team's talent and depth. 

• Like 1