Men vs Florida Game Thread

Maverick.AU

6 pt 2OT loss on a neutral floor (UConn 5th seed). 4 pt OT road loss (Arky 6th seed). 1 pt road loss (Florida Bubble). A combined 11 points. All squeakers. 1 more made FG in each of those 3 games and we're sitting here undefeated. NO TEAM in college basketball can say that. Not even Gonzaga. If we play a little more smarter, all of our goals are still there. The SEC regular season championship and a #1 Seed in the Big Dance. SEC Tournament? I don't believe we're quite deep enough at the guard position to win 3 games in 3 days. It won't matter and that won't be a problem for March Madness. It's all about matchups. Can't wait.

Edited by slyinsocal

45 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Why yes, that their conference road record is 5-4 is exactly what you said.

QUOTE: "Guess who still has the best conference road record?! DING DING that is right Auburn does at 7-2. Kentucky is next best at 5-4."

No that is what YOU took it to mean Mike. Is it really that big of a deal? No. But as usual you are doing Mike things and making it in to one. Their overall road record is 5-4. Any more questions?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Danny Bunch said:

Flanagan has been disappointing with the basic ball skills lately. Turnovers and Free throw shooting have to improve. WDE

His butt would be sitting on the bench if we had more viable options at the 3 besides Cambridge and CMO. It is def our weakest spot on the roster. Saturday was a step in the right direction for him though minus the slinging the ball in to the third row a couple of times.... He only took 1 shot and let the game come to him instead of pressing and forcing the issue like he has been doing. We just need him to be a good perimeter defender and rebound the basketball well. We have enough guys to handle the scoring load. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Yes, I'm serious.  But I may be wrong as well.

First of all, in the matchup of Oscar vs. Kessler, KY had Oscar leave Kessler to help defensively on the perimeter, which left Kessler open and created lob-dunk after lob-dunk opportunities for Kessler.  Wide open lob dunks.  Good teams have game-planned for that since then.  And will continue to do so.

I was surprised yesterday when Castleton bullied Kessler.  Kessler has much more talent, but was pushed around by Castleton.  Because the Florida center has had 4 years of strength training, and pushed Kessler around like NBA centers would do next year.

But half the time, or more, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Just beware I think we win vs Ole Miss this week (knock on wood) but it will not look pretty. No game since Kermit got to Ole Miss have we looked good offensively against them. Even when we win against him it is ugly. He is going to junk the game up like he always does and play stall ball and slow the game to a crawl. As long as we win IDC. I can even handle the impending posts about how we peaked to early and we just do not look the same as long as AU wins. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

No that is what YOU took it to mean Mike. Is it really that big of a deal? No. But as usual you are doing Mike things and making it in to one. Their overall road record is 5-4. Any more questions?

Yes, one question:  Why did you say their conference road record was 5-4?

37 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Yes, one question:  Why did you say their conference road record was 5-4?

I think he meant of the other teams in our conference, not specific conference games, but road records of conference teams. Small malaprop but most of us thought about it for a sec and figured it out. 

• Haha 1

The more and more I think about it the more I am starting to believe in the Nike ball theory. lol

We've played 11 games with a different ball than Wilson. 1 Adidas ball against South Florida where we barely won. 7 of the Nike ball games: vs UCONN, @ St Louis, @ Bama, @ Missouri, @ Georgia, @ Florida, @ Arkansas.

Those 7 could be considered our 7 worst games of the season. Wilson is the ball we use at home and the ball used in all tournament games. The 2 road games we played that had Wilson ... @ South Carolina and @ Nebraska.

So, the reason we struggle on the road is obviously because Nike balls are inferior to Wilson. Wilson balls used in the tournaments = win all games.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

I think he meant of the other teams in our conference, not specific conference games, but road records of conference teams. Small malaprop but most of us thought about it for a sec and figured it out. 

You are free to think that. What he did was knowingly post something false in a failed effort to prove his weak point. Maybe I'm more familiar with him than you are?

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

You are free to think that. What he did was knowingly post something false in a failed effort to prove his weak point. Maybe I'm more familiar with him than you are?

My weak point that Auburn has the best road record of both in conference and out of conference road game's? Okkk.... How is that a weak point if it's true? Sorry I did not word it to your liking. I forgot the first rule of this place. Always post with what Mikey wants first in mind. Stop being a a**hole just for the sake of being a a**hole. At least have a purpose with it. Got damn dude.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

My weak point that Auburn has the best road record of both in conference and out of conference road game's? Okkk.... How is that a weak point if it's true? Sorry I did not word it to your liking. I forgot the first rule of this place. Always post with what Mikey wants first in mind. Stop being a a**hole just for the sake of being a a**hole. At least have a purpose with it. Got damn dude.

You should crawl back into your crack pipe. Your posts are more amusing when you're puffing.

17 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

The more and more I think about it the more I am starting to believe in the Nike ball theory. lol

We've played 11 games with a different ball than Wilson. 1 Adidas ball against South Florida where we barely won. 7 of the Nike ball games: vs UCONN, @ St Louis, @ Bama, @ Missouri, @ Georgia, @ Florida, @ Arkansas.

Those 7 could be considered our 7 worst games of the season. Wilson is the ball we use at home and the ball used in all tournament games. The 2 road games we played that had Wilson ... @ South Carolina and @ Nebraska.

So, the reason we struggle on the road is obviously because Nike balls are inferior to Wilson. Wilson balls used in the tournaments = win all games.

That's pretty interesting.  I know back in high school, I had a Spalding (SpeedWin, I think) ball that I could rip the nets out with.  I did not shoot nearly as well with other crappy balls.

On 2/19/2022 at 3:18 PM, Barnacle said:

Why we keep giving Wendell the ball in these situations is beyond me. 

Replying to my own post here, but I did consider whether Bruce is trying to force Wendell into stepping up in that role during these regular season games, in the hopes that it will pay dividends during the tournament. Rather have guys crash and burn now.

On 2/20/2022 at 11:47 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Just beware I think we win vs Ole Miss this week (knock on wood) but it will not look pretty. No game since Kermit got to Ole Miss have we looked good offensively against them. Even when we win against him it is ugly. He is going to junk the game up like he always does and play stall ball and slow the game to a crawl. As long as we win IDC. I can even handle the impending posts about how we peaked to early and we just do not look the same as long as AU wins. 

I agree with the ugly part.  Anytime we play Ole Miss I just expect an ugly game.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Not for nothing but the new ball the NBA uses this season was a point of contention for months. Ball matters 

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Replying to my own post here, but I did consider whether Bruce is trying to force Wendell into stepping up in that role during these regular season games, in the hopes that it will pay dividends during the tournament. Rather have guys crash and burn now.

He’s also just the most dynamic ball handler Bruce has. That situation specifically felt like one you coulda used KD, since it was pretty much supposed to be drive downhill and throw it to Kessler if you get stuck, but Wen is a smarter, more developer play maker than KD by quite a bit. 

You just feel comfortable running things with a guy who can both score and pass, and Wen is the only guy that fits that mold on the roster…you gotta hope he figures out this rut or you’re not going too far in March anyway 

• Like 1

Some folks need to realize that tourney games at neutral sights are a very different thing than road games in the SEC. My guess, based on how insanely well our fans have travelled this season, is that the SEC tourney and at least the first two games in the dance will feel a lot more like a home crowd than an away crowd.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BigSammyK said:

Some folks need to realize that tourney games at neutral sights are a very different thing than road games in the SEC. My guess, based on how insanely well our fans have travelled this season, is that the SEC tourney and at least the first two games in the dance will feel a lot more like a home crowd than an away crowd.

I’d think other than a UTk or UK game, Auburn would have the noise advantage 

Ark fans seem to travel well too 

edit: I forgot this was one in Tampa not Nashville. Hmm, that does change the dynamic a bit. We’re geographically closer than the other two 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Thanks 1